As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    With battleships, may this rookie soldier suggest just using interceptors to try and tail them to landing sites? While still formidable on the ground and just as likely to have the same hellish body count as an air battle, rifles and high explosives are far cheaper to replace than an interceptor.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    you know the original xcom lets you arm C4 on your recruits before sending them into a dangerous area, so when they die they might take someone with them

I feel this is missing from EU/EW

override367 on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Aaah yes the old X-Com Mantra.

All weaknesses in any squad can be fixed by use of enough High Explosives.

• Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    The night of January 16th.

Baske is in the radar operator's chair, half-dozing, half-reading an old courtroom drama. It's been a week with no contacts - not even the false positive of a flock of birds to liven things up.

lMB9mhD.png

Tonight is different.

MVrIQVq.png

We capture the blip on its way out of Russian airspace, bearing west over Ukraine at extreme altitude and velocity.

MechMantis has this sortie. Rather than waste fuel on a futile chase, he matches the UFO's latitude and heads west, hoping to intersect its flight path before it reaches the Atlantic.

WIryk5q.png

We close to visual range just off the British Isles. It's another Large Scout. It's also on a trajectory that's looping back over the North Sea, so to avoid putting it in the drink, MechMantis holds fire.

When the UFO crosses the Trøndelag coastline a few minutes later, an Avalanche missile is already in the air behind it.

J5n2dE9.png

It looks like Skyranger-1's patrol of South Africa tonight will have to be cut short.

TLZXhvB.png

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    *ding ding* Round Two!!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    It looks like Skyranger-1's patrol of South Africa tonight will have to be cut short.

"Look, kids! It's the Voortrekker Monument."

7 hours pass ...

"LOOK, KIDS!, IT'S THE VOORTREKKER MONUMENT! AHAHAHAHAHAH!"

*radio noises*

"Norway? NORWAY? Oh, thank you, thank you!"

• Options
    Scratch one! :D

Now it's time for you ground-pounders to get it done. Floaters and Sectoids should pose no real threat.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

Now it's time for you ground-pounders to get it done. Floaters and Sectoids should pose no real threat.

You say that from your comfy and well-equipped cockpit. Meanwhile we're wearing denim coveralls and only some of us have gloves

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

You say that from your comfy and well-equipped cockpit. Meanwhile we're wearing denim coveralls and only some of us have gloves
    On the plus side, we're well stocked with grenades.
    And have you ever tried to pull a pin on a grenade with gloves on?

• Options

Did you not read my post about things that will be happening to me later?

I would advise checking on that before saying my cockpit is so cushy.

• Options

If it involves your spoilered post then I'm going to be ignorant as I've only played XCOM and want things to be a surprise. Are you likely to see any upgrades to your fighter jet to mitigate the risks you see coming?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

If it involves your spoilered post then I'm going to be ignorant as I've only played XCOM and want things to be a surprise. Are you likely to see any upgrades to your fighter jet to mitigate the risks you see coming?

Considering this run is Human tech only with council funding only?

hahahahano

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Hey, at least you have nukes.

That's something.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I think one of my favorite features of Xenonauts (yes, I am going to keep bringing it up because its awesome and you should all go play it) is that fighters aren't gone forever when they're downed; it just takes a few days to recover the wreck, and then fix it up to the point that it can fly again. For a game that otherwise seems so well-suited to Ironmaning, its pretty unforgiving to have your super-expensive Interceptors permanently lost so easily.

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    I'm ready commander, let me at them!

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I think one of my favorite features of Xenonauts (yes, I am going to keep bringing it up because its awesome and you should all go play it) is that fighters aren't gone forever when they're downed; it just takes a few days to recover the wreck, and then fix it up to the point that it can fly again. For a game that otherwise seems so well-suited to Ironmaning, its pretty unforgiving to have your super-expensive Interceptors permanently lost so easily.

A bit off topic
    I just reinstalled that this morning and I see that there's an experimental v1.5 build that you can opt in. Neat-o

edit: Having said that, it's worth checking out the v0.31 Community mod too

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

A bit off topic
    I just reinstalled that this morning and I see that there's an experimental v1.5 build that you can opt in. Neat-o

Hey, looks like nested spoilers are back.
    Testing
    If you can read this without quoting, nested spoilers are working.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

A bit off topic

Hey, looks like nested spoilers are back.
    Testing
    If you can read this without quoting, nested spoilers are working.

still broken for me. :(

• Options
    Super pleased by the opportunity to show off mountain terrain. I've gone through whole campaigns before without seeing any, so it's kind of a rare treat.

YerMum wrote: »
    When we reach the UFO, I promise you'll be kicking in the door.

Assuming you make it that far. No promises there.

It may be the dead of winter in Norway, but at least our landing zone is hot.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    "Hey, everyone back there. The snow we're about to land in looks really deep and cold, so I'm just going to put down over there next to the smoking wreck of the UFO in order to minimize walking distance? Sound good?Great!"

• Options
    Super pleased by the opportunity to show off mountain terrain. I've gone through whole campaigns before without seeing any, so it's kind of a rare treat.

If by "kicking in the door" you mean running into the UFO with a primed c4 charge at the ready I'm your man!

Rugged individualist
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'm looking for a couple of specific scenes of troops Strapping on C4 or claymores from one of the many Starship troopers movies and recently edge of tomorrow and youtube just inundates me with COD kiddies and B4 burnouts. Im not giving them the priviledge of a link

I am disappoint

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    4XFQada.png

X-Com Order of Battle:
    @see317 and @Rainfall
    @Bigity and @Elderlycrawfish
    theSquid and @Velmeran
    @TeeMan and YerMum
    cB557 and KoopahTroopah

Rainfall runs off the ramp and drops on the ground first.

HuKIuqu.png

Meet the Sectoid
    j1Iaayo.png

Sectoids are the feeblest of the alien races. They have low health, flimsy armor, and poor firing accuracy. In other words, they're on equal terms with our rookies. Their small stature gives them an advantage at finding cover, though; a standing Sectoid is about the same height as a kneeling soldier.

On scout ships, Sectoids are relatively easy pickings. In all other situations, the psionic powers of their leadership caste make for a harrowing encounter.

sS2Ugcj.png

Any offensive action could precipitate her downfall, so she makes the only safe move available, which is back up into the smoke cloud.

Elderlycrawfish has disembarked behind her. He has a big f'n gun full of explosive ammunition.

What he does not have is mercy.

SbgGLZF.png

Gobbets of alien meat splatter the rocks. When Crawfish lets go of the trigger, there's nothing left of the Sectoid that wouldn't fit in an ice cream bowl.

theSquid, meanwhile, has found a somewhat more elegant means of dealing with our second target.

6pC9phA.png

His bullet takes it in the base of the skull, and the Sectoid collapses in a heap.

Pressing south, we spot another between two megaliths.

l1INOG9.png

Rainfall steadies her rifle and unleashes a burst from inside the cloud. A torrent of lead patters against stone ...

ucTYI8d.gif

... followed by a brief, shrill squall as the Sectoid is blown away.

Bigity picks up our fourth contact directly nearby and calls it out to Elderlycrawfish.

34ns6GJ.png

Unfortunately, Crawfish is still bent on wiping every last trace of that first Sectoid out of existence. We'll have to rely on a grenade instead.

Axg9Ib1.gif

It does the trick.

With our landing zone secured, see317 leads a sweep west along the border of our area of operations, flanked by Squid and Crawfish.

MGGdOr2.png

On the other side of the Skyranger, Velmeran is assembling KoopahTroopah and YerMum for a sweep to the east.

Wait.

Has anyone seen YerMum?

sFalvRT.png

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Woo! Explosions! Woo!

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    woo! gifs! yay!

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Err...
    Should those of us who weren't @'ed be worried?

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Err...

You should all be worried.

I'm just tagging people on their first deployment. I figured it'd get too spammy otherwise.

• Options
    Wow there are some truly fascinating rock formations out here in Norway guys! Guys? Where'd everyone go?

Rugged individualist
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Err...

2nd mission and already The Fear has begun to take hold. truly dark days lie ahead....

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'd shoot a few rounds in the air so you can find your way back, but well, explosive rounds.

.....I might still do it anyway.

Woo! Recklessly shooting explosives straight up! Woo!

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    guys.... guys... seriously... I got a song for you all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM0im3V8HlU

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    "Someone wake up TeeMan"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Here's the thing about mountain terrain: it's full of hills, and hills are a colossal pain in the ass.

In theory, they provide a lovely big chunk of cover. But at all times, the possibility exists that an alien will crest the hill, at which point that hill abruptly ceases to be cover and embarks on its new career as a Sectoid sniper nest.

Alternatively, we can try to claim the high ground for ourselves. Climbing sloped terrain is a splendid way for a soldier to become exhausted and exposed to fire from unpredictable angles.

So I find myself advancing around hills a lot, on fairly barren ground, using smoke grenades to generate concealment in lieu of proper cover.

I also end up taking a lot of sketchy long-range shots, because there's no safe way to close the distance.

1ErJZ6M.png

TeeMan bags his first alien with just such a shot.

see317's scouting team finds us an even more challenging target. It's on the far edge of the map, directly across from our landing zone.

Ahc5IbN.png

Way back in the shadow of the Skyranger, Velmeran and KoopahTroopah nudge their rifles' selective fire switches to single shots. They're looking at double the range TeeMan just made good on. This is Hail Mary territory.

0aDiS6l.gif

Velmeran's shot is heartbreakingly close.

IXnCDGD.gif

Koopah is a freak of nature. We're clear to advance.

l80pA54.png

Finally, we have eyes on the UFO. The smoke grenade on the ground is courtesy of Sergeant cB557, who loaded up on them in the Skyranger and has been providing support from far, far in the rear. Clearly, he's officer material.

ddRTiSu.png

Oh God.

Bigity is behind that rock.

... Bigity?

7D8GENr.gif

My favorite thing about this reaction fire is how it demonstrates Bigity is not dead. On our turn, theSquid finds a better angle and puts the Sectoid down.

Now the UFO awaits. Somehow, though, I can't quite shake the feeling we've forgotten something.

0hqWWSw.png

Oh well. I'm sure it'll come to me.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Whoa momma

• Options
    Wow, there are some amazing rock formations over here guys, you really should check them out!

Guys?

Rugged individualist
  • Options
    Oh My GodOh My God Registered User regular
    YerMum in action:
    roeFoYR.png

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    We need some dying, post haste.

I can't wait for my turn in the meat grinder.

• Options
    don't worry, someone's gonna have to replace YerMum when they leave without him.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Now I kinda like the idea of YerMum being the longest surviving member of XCOM, simply because being left in Norway meant that YerMum missed all the subsequent firefights.

• Options
    It's been a fruitful mission for YerMum.

She's gotten a lot of exercise.

She saw a pair of elk bounding up the side of a fjord.

She discovered a new species of lichen.

And she found an ancient runestone raised in the memory of Þorsteinn Jørmumsen, who got lost during the Great Heathen Army's invasion of Britain in the 9th century, and died of exposure in the wilderness. The University of Oslo's anthropology department has already extended her an invitation to lecture on it in the fall.

She sure hasn't shot any aliens, though.

Will this be the opportunity she's been looking for?

inNI0SI.png

Not with 16 time units left, it won't.

No one else has line of sight around the corner of the UFO, and if we don't deal with this threat now, we'll be taking more fire on our turn. We'll have to grenade it.

Bigity has massive biceps and fantastic throwing accuracy. Let's see what he can do.

DbO0RwY.gif8KsgP0X.gif

Attaboy, Bigity.

Disregarding all of my misgivings about hills, I order Velmeran up top to get a view of the crash site.

MbbAlpF.png

The coast is clear, so I have her hold her observation post as our turn ends.

FPaycyS.gif

THE COAST IS NO LONGER CLEAR

fonFmVJ.png

YerMum has the time units for a shot, and I'm mostly sure the Sectoid doesn't. It had to come from inside the UFO to take its shot at Velmeran. But with it facing us, I don't want to risk anyone's life on "mostly sure" odds.

We're in the exact same situation as last turn. cB557 relays another grenade up to Bigity. How's that arm feeling, champ?

HcmotIp.gifgl7hlJ8.gif

YerMum can almost see the front door. She's gagging for a chance to assault this UFO. All she needs is one turn without any contacts so she can close the distance.

BvHsjW5.png

TXsuxaj.png

JfroIXC.gifPW8xgqm.gif

Multiple death cries. There must have been another Sectoid just out of sight in the fog of war.

NOW.

NOW IS YERMUM'S TIME TO SHINE.

She sprints through the charnel stink outside the UFO. The echoes of the grenade blasts have faded away, and in the sudden quiet, the slaps of her footfalls are very loud. They end in a scrape of gravel as she skids to a halt beside the hull. All of her training has led up to this moment - the moment when she finally locks eyes with a malevolent intelligence from beyond the stars. She must not blink.

Shouldering her rifle stock, YerMum triggers the door entry mechanism.

Nothing moves inside the alien craft.

Three small carbonized corpses lie crumpled around the shattered remains of the power source. It must have ruptured on impact.

There's nothing left to do but sweep up the ashes.

2pI6qH7.png

For his outstanding achievement in shuffling primed grenades up to the front lines, cB557 is promoted to the rank of Captain. Talus9952 will fill the empty Sergeant slot until she dies or cB finds someone better.

On his first mission, Bigity leaps to the top of the Haus Von Trapp kill board, with four dead Sectoids to his name. I'm crediting YerMum with four assists, as it was her spotting that made it all possible.