As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    11 minutes of new, much better looking, footage of the PS4 version:

Jill gameplay

Chris gameplay

New comparison shots between the Wii version and the 360 version:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2014/10/08/more-resident-evil-comparison-images

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    the zombie footsteps sound a bit compressed but damn it looks great.

feel jealous of those who will be playing it for the first time though, i know that mansion like the back of my hand. is there any new arranged modes going in do we know?

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Jill gameplay

Chris gameplay

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2014/10/08/more-resident-evil-comparison-images

This looks awesome. Really makes me want to replay the game again.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't like fixed camera either. In any genre. While I appreciate certain aspects of the first RE game, such as the emphasis on survival and puzzle solving, the fixed camera is a huge detriment. Also, the controls are terrible. It's nearly impossible to go back and play RE1 anymore, because of how awful the control scheme is.
    Sir! I heartily disagree!

In fact, I adopt the heretical position that the fixed camera angles in REmake are the absolute best thing about the game. Let me count the things fixed camera angles are used to do:

1. Highlight important items. I'm sure we've all had the experience of just walking past some important item or puzzle piece in a 3D game before. Some games (very annoyingly) momentarily take control of the camera away from you just to shove your face in it. "YOU NEED TO GO HERE" the game shouts at you. "Yes, I get it. I'm not an idiot" you might reply to the game. But who knows? I've missed stuff that should have been obvious before. REmake is a classier game than that. Its fixed camera angles often place things you need in the foreground, or use the position of other objects in the room to naturally draw your eye to the relevant information. It never feels forced, because it doesn't break up the flow of the game.

2. Establish mood. This one's obvious, but it bears emphasis. The main hall of the mansion tends to keep the camera pulled back, giving you a wide view of the area. You can tell there's no immediate danger, but the emptiness of the room creates its own kind of tension. The game is telling you "I have awful things in store for you, but you can't see them yet." Another early example of this is shortly after you encounter your first zombie. You walk through a hallway with the camera at a dutch angle. Often used to create feelings of disorientation, this hallway always makes me feel as if I'm standing on the precipice of madness. It's just an empty, dark hallway, and yet it's so memorable. In video games, I've walked down a fuckton of empty hallways, and let me tell you that practically the only ones I remember are from REmake.

2A. Sorry, but I'm going to dwell on this one a bit more, since it's so important to the horror genre. They're used masterfully to build tension. Opening a new door is a frightening event in RE, since you never know what you're going to find. Sometimes the game will torture you by keeping the camera fixed on the door you just walked through, rather than on the room full of POSSIBLE enemies. This is used sparingly, but it's so jarring when it happens. Your desire to know what your surroundings are suddenly spikes to almost unbearable levels. Just like the hallway example above, this manages to turn an ordinary event like walking through a door into a moment that I remember. Another great example of this is when the camera hangs on a certain shot far longer than it usually does. Near the end of the game, there's a hallway that you start running down... and you just keep running. You mind keeps expecting the game to jump to a new angle, but it doesn't. You character just keeps getting smaller and smaller. The game is whispering in your ear, "Something's coming... Are you ready?" And you look at your tiny, shinking character and desperately which you could just turn around.

3. Foreshadowing. Imagine you're exploring this creepy mansion, you turn a corner and suddently (gasp!) you're outside? Wait, no, you're not outside. The camera is outside a window, looking through it at your character. Not only does this force you into the uncomfortable position of imagining something outside watching you, but also gives you an unfortunate realization; these windows aren't going to make it to the end of the game. At some point, someone or something is coming through them. Another great example of taking an empty room, making it memorable, and simultaneously giving you information relevant to your survival.

4. Prevent an over-reliance on jump scares. Jump scares are the easiest, laziest way to scare someone. Honestly, they don't even scare. They surprise. The setting and story can make that surprise seem scary, but technique itself is boring. REmake certainly has its fair share of jumps, but the use of fixed camera angles gives it more tools in its arsenal. You could literally remove all the jump scares in the game and it would still be legitimately creepy. (If you did that with most modern horror games, you'd probably just have a violent action game.)

5. Draw attention to REmake's astounding sound design. When the game refuses to let you see everything in the room (see 2A), it forces you to rely more on your other senses for information. Luckily, every enemy has a distinctive utterance. REmake has some of the most memorable sound effects ever, probably because I learned to listen for them as if my life depended on it. I think everyone who has played REmake for any length of time will never be able to forget that distinctive zombie groan. Or the sound of dog paws scraping against linoleum. Honestly, the sounds are great on their own, but the fixed angles in certain rooms guarantees that you'll learn to appreciate (and hate) them.

6. Show off (all of) those character models. Leon has a great ass. But by the end of RE4, I felt like I had seen enough of it. I'd go so far as to say I'd become bored of looking at his ass. REmake recognizes this danger, and instead uses various camera angles to treat us to all sorts of front and back shots of Jill and Chris. And when the game treats us to the occasional ass view, it feels earned.

I'm sure this rant will only be read by a few, but to those few I'd like to apologize for not being able to support my points with screenshots. But I think that most people who have played REmake will remember the locations I've mentioned. At least, I'd like to think the camera work in REmake made as big an impact on others as it did on me.

As an addendum, I support tank controls only because they serve a greater purpose, and that purpose is fixed camera angles.

I'm going to print this quote out and hang it on my wall. I am not even kidding!

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

Jill gameplay

Chris gameplay

This looks awesome. Really makes me want to replay the game again.

Ah. Now we are seeing some substantial differences. It seems like it is more than just a port and a true remastering. The are actually new textures.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, the more I read about it and see screens, the more I want it.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I like RE1 as much as the next guy, but I feel like I've played it enough times now that I don't need to play it again just because it got a new coat of paint.

They need to REmake RE2 already.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    I couldn't find another thread about this so I thought I'd resurrect this one from the grave.

Just got the physical PS3 Collector's Edition of the HD REmake and it's pretty sweet. Big differences to notice:

- CE comes with an extremely well made Spencer Mansion map, and a kinda phoned in artbook that just has the background stills from all the levels in it.
    - There's an option to display the backgrounds in 4:3 or cropped 16:9. I was really worried about not having that option, so I'm pretty happy about that.
    - When you're running the game in cropped 16:9 there's a soft camera move that follows you. It's really tastefully done, so I'm using 16:9 all the time.
    - The backgrounds are clearly scaled using some kind of spline method, which looks great in some angles and inoffensive--but obvious--in others.
    - The framerate can really tank in some early cutscenes but the gameplay seems solid at 30p. Haven't gotten to a boss fight yet though, so we'll see.
    - It looks like only the character models have been updated. The zombies look like they're right out of the GC/Wii version.
    - The lighting engine is much, much better.
    - There's an option to use a new control scheme, which is more of a typical 3rd person setup. It works great but big perspective shifts are still kind of a pain.
    - Examining something and confirming something in a menu are different buttons, which is frustrating as Hell. I'll get used to it though.
    - Lacks the quick-knife button from Resident Evil: Deadly Shadows. Actually pretty disappointed by this.
    - Unfortunately, the Wesker Files on this release are in Japanese without English subtitles. Oh well.

All told, this is pretty tastefully done and definitely the best version of REmake, if not Resident Evil 1 altogether. The PS4 and XBO releases are going to be better by dint of being 1080p but I don't regret this purchase at all.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Do we have a release date on the PS4 version of REmake?

- It looks like only the character models have been updated. The zombies look like they're right out of the GC/Wii version.
    Well it makes sense with the dozens, no hundreds of enemy types in the game. It would have taken them forever to update thousands, if not millions of zombie like they did the character models... =P

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Man, I realize this is a bit old, but if you can watch it in 60fps, I'd say it's worth it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a6-6QWyLGY
    Rather interested in grabbing this on Steam next month.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Do we have a release date on the PS4 version of REmake?

January 20th (on all platforms). Then we've got Grim Fandango HD on the 27th, which is a pretty great one-two remaster combo.

I received my retail PS3 copy a week or so ago but have no real intention to start it up, I'll just wait for the PS4 version for that. I just got it for collection purposes. That said, I like how they gave the HK version a double sided cover, with Biohazard on one and Resident Evil on the other. There's two manuals too, with the RE one in English.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    I preordered this on Steam and it claims to have come with a digital soundtrack but I have no idea where it is. Any ideas?

urahonky wrote: »
    I preordered this on Steam and it claims to have come with a digital soundtrack but I have no idea where it is. Any ideas?

Capcom dev on Steam forums confirmed that it comes with release, so it'll get downloaded when you can download it on the 20th.

Between this and Revelations 2 and Dying Light, this is going to be a very undead-y winter/spring. I'm still playing Evil Within too.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Finally got around to starting Resident Evil 6 today.

What in the name of fuck?

It spends about 3 minutes being good, then it gets all 2 Resident 2 Evil nonstop mindless action fest. I don't know if I can do this.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Yeah, I heard it was garbage. Like worst one in the series garbage. Which is why I'm only getting it if it goes under $10.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yep. It's the worst RE game I've ever played.

I've finished every main series game multiple times, EXCEPT for 6. Slogged my way through about half and just lost interest. Why was Michael Bay given a Resident Evil game, anyway?

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    i liked it! but i am known to like bad things sometimes.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    RE2 never really clicked with me (none of the REs did beside the first one, in point of fact). I'd be inclined to give it another shot if they did a schmancy remake of it though.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Got my PS4 version of the REmake pre-ordered and pre-loaded and ready to go for Tuesday

I am excited to give it a shot without the tank controls, that was a great way to play RE2 on the N64

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I got my pre-order code from GMG an hour or so ago and Steam is letting me pre-load. I was not expecting just under 17GB for a pre-load though. Good lord... I don't remember if GCN REmake was on 1 or 2 discs, but those things held like 1.5GB max. That's quite a data blow up for HD.

• darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Guys, do I pre-order this for PS4 or PC?

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    PS4

Dranyth wrote: »
    I got my pre-order code from GMG an hour or so ago and Steam is letting me pre-load. I was not expecting just under 17GB for a pre-load though. Good lord... I don't remember if GCN REmake was on 1 or 2 discs, but those things held like 1.5GB max. That's quite a data blow up for HD.

I'm pretty sure it was 2 discs.

What a quaint idea that is now.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

I've finished every main series game multiple times, EXCEPT for 6. Slogged my way through about half and just lost interest. Why was Michael Bay given a Resident Evil game, anyway?

Yeah, I tried to start it last year but could barely finish one chapter of Leon's campaign. It's pretty bad.

The only way I think I'd ever finish it is if I found a co-op partner to play it with but nobody wants to play that game, so I'm out of luck.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular

Yeah, I tried to start it last year but could barely finish one chapter of Leon's campaign. It's pretty bad.

The only way I think I'd ever finish it is if I found a co-op partner to play it with but nobody wants to play that game, so I'm out of luck.

I went through the game co-op with a friend on 360, and it was still painful to slog through. I mean, it was no Operation Raccoon City, but that's about the only thing in its favor.

I have high hopes for Revelations 2, though. The original was a nice surprise, though it was a shame the campaign was single player only, and you needed to go through the whole thing to unlock everything in Raid mode.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I think co-op is the worst thing to happen to resident evil (and dead space).

It destroys your ability to have pacing, and removes any tension.

And playing it single player isn't much better. God help you if the AI is bad. "I know it's the zombie apocalypse, but I think I'll just glitch out in this doorway for a bit, alright?"

Does *not* belong in horror games.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I don't know. Co-op killed Zero and 5 for me. But I also loved Outbreak.

Just regular joes going about their lives when the anime zombie apocalypse happens. Unique skills and chapters that focused certain characters. Relied on teamwork and helping each other.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Co-op was great fun in 5.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Revelaytons 2 approach seems to be one player has a weapon, the other has a light. That's about the only way a horror game can preserve tension in a co op setting - by removing one player's power, making them a support for the other player.

Oh brilliant
    Outbreak remake, god damnit!

What version is superior.... Revelations 3DS or Revelations HD?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Looks like RE:make HD is up for preload. Already covered.

I don't have the 3DS version of Revelations, but the HD port on PC feels pretty bad. The voice acting is super cheesy, the controls & dodge mechanic feel busted, there are random time jumps back and forth in the story, and that first boss seems like an ammo sponge and nothing else. I want to like it, I really really do, but it's pretty ech. I'll probably slog through it to just say I beat it, but I dunno... It doesn't feel like it's worth my time at the moment.

KoopahTroopah on
    I have it on both the 3DS and PC and actually finished it on the PC. However you should know that if there's the option to play a game on the big screen versus a small handheld screen: the big screen ALWAYS wins.

RE6 had some fun missions. Overally I'd say it's a B+ game. Not the best, but certainly not the worst.

The missions as Leon on the school campus had a good amount of creepiness and tension to them. Leon's campaign was the best overall. Chris's is the worst. Resident Evil just doesn't work as a Call of Duty game, and that's what Chris's campaign was.

Jake's campaign wasn't bad. I liked the running/platforming/survival sequences, but the story of his was also the most forgettable. I have no idea what his missions were about.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I don't have the 3DS version of Revelations, but the HD port on PC feels pretty bad. The voice acting is super cheesy, the controls & dodge mechanic feel busted, there are random time jumps back and forth in the story, and that first boss seems like an ammo sponge and nothing else. I want to like it, I really really do, but it's pretty ech. I'll probably slog through it to just say I beat it, but I dunno... It doesn't feel like it's worth my time at the moment.

Capcom delivered a shitty product for the PC? Say it ain't exactly what everybody expected out Capcom these days!

Seriously, Capcom, get your act together and stop being a dick.

Capcom delivered a shitty product for the PC? Say it ain't exactly what everybody expected out Capcom these days!

Seriously, Capcom, get your act together and stop being a dick.

Well his complaints aren't completely PC based. Everything he said was in the 3DS version as well.

This discussion has been closed.