As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I'm really, really enjoying this beta. Bummed to see there isn't more excitement about it in the forums I visit.

Unfortunately Halo 4 -> Halo: MCC launch period really sorta squelched a lot of people's enthusiasm toward the franchise to lukewarm.

I got my external drive so I can move the rest of my digital content off the drive and install the beta (actually needed 10 more gb) and then I'll give it a go too.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, having a good group would make it a lot more fun.

Wish we could get something going again like we did with Reach.

newSig.jpg
  • fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Yeah, having a good group would make it a lot more fun.

Wish we could get something going again like we did with Reach.

Only a few days left but I'd be down to play with you all. gamer tag is fatal spoons (with space) if you want to add me. Send me an invite if you see me online.
    I'm really, really enjoying this beta. Bummed to see there isn't more excitement about it in the forums I visit.

Unfortunately Halo 4 -> Halo: MCC launch period really sorta squelched a lot of people's enthusiasm toward the franchise to lukewarm.

I got my external drive so I can move the rest of my digital content off the drive and install the beta (actually needed 10 more gb) and then I'll give it a go too.

Yeah, MCC was quite a bummer.

If they fixed the matchmaking in the Beta is will help a lot.

newSig.jpg
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Last day of the beta, full selection of maps, and back to pistol/AR starts. Now is as good a time as any to check it out.

I actually enjoyed the forge maps more than the "proper" maps. They're actually well-lit!

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    notes for the upcoming patch: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/the-latest-on-halo-the-master-chief-collection-content-playlist-updates

What's frustrating is the focus on fixing multiplayer for a game that's probably going to be ignored when Halo 5 drops. Meanwhile the single player aspect has been largely ignored in the many updates. At least fix the damned bug where I can't save progress on a level and have to start at the beginning unless I complete a level. Should be relatively easy to fix and make single player infinitely tolerable considering that this is a collection 4 four games.

give single player SOME love. I've never played Halo 2-4 and it's making it really hard to get caught up. Definitely won't be buying Halo 5 on release because of these issues.

MCC multiplayer needs improvement and even after this patch will need much more work done to it before it becomes a genuinely good experience. Campaign MCC is more-or-less working fine and has been working more-or-less fine since launch. There were (and are still) some frustrating bugs, but it's more than playable.

There's still nearly a year of uncontested MCC multiplayer time, and given how much multiplayer is in MCC, there will be more than enough reason to hop back into it time and time again even after Halo 5 launches.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    MCC multiplayer needs improvement and even after this patch will need much more work done to it before it becomes a genuinely good experience. Campaign MCC is more-or-less working fine and has been working more-or-less fine since launch. There were (and are still) some frustrating bugs, but it's more than playable.

There's still nearly a year of uncontested MCC multiplayer time, and given how much multiplayer is in MCC, there will be more than enough reason to hop back into it time and time again even after Halo 5 launches.

Especially if they do the smart thing and make Halo 5's multiplayer integrate into the MCC collection via a code.

No I don't.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Arteen wrote: »

Especially if they do the smart thing and make Halo 5's multiplayer integrate into the MCC collection via a code.

I see this as possible if the customer buys Halo 5 digitally, but there is no way people doing the disc based versions gets this.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited January 2015
    New patch is out! Multi is still broken!

I just want to play some BTB. :(

EDIT: Well that's a new one. Some lonely soul ended up on yellow team during team slayer. How does that even happen?

Arteen on
    edited January 2015
    So the next update is going to be a big one. They're having Xbox preview program people test it this weekend.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Beta testing an update for a game that is already 'done'

*Slow clap*

Beta testing an update for a game that is already 'done'

*Slow clap*

Eh, if it fixes it I'm happy. I already own the damn thing at this point and I want it to work.

No I don't.
    Sorry but that's pretty sad. No other shooter has launched as miserably as this one has. I have lost all enthusiasm to play MCC at all.

edited January 2015
    Sorry but that's pretty sad. No other shooter has launched as miserably as this one has. I have lost all enthusiasm to play MCC at all.

Fine it's sad? I don't care?

I mean, I completely understand why anyone would give up on this, but you're actively going to insult people who haven't? Fine.

Good for you.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.

Well I was merely remarking on it being a sad state of affairs. Wasn't really trying to convince you or anything, just sharing my viewpoint.

Well I was merely remarking on it being a sad state of affairs. Wasn't really trying to convince you or anything, just sharing my viewpoint.

Oh, ok. Sorry, came off like you were saying I was sad for not giving up.

No I don't.
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Yeah...gonna have to disagree with you on the bolded part and point you to the Battlefield 4 launch.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Yeah...gonna have to disagree with you on the bolded part and point you to the Battlefield 4 launch.
    Yeah that was pretty bad but at least story mode was playable. This game was broken in more ways than one.

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular

I think MCC is way worse than that

BF4 was fucked for ages yeah, but this is Halo man. Microsoft's big thing. And these aren't even new games, Halo 2,3, and 4 had solid launches so its kind of amazing in a fucked up way that they managed to actually go backwards on all of them

It's been over 2 months and I have played exactly zero big team battle games because matchmaking is still pretty much busted, I've got through half the halo 2 campaign coop because usually my friend and I can't be bothered trying to jump through the trial and error attempts just to get campaign missions to start

MCC was meant to be a known quantity, BF4 at least had the excuse of being a new game

Yeah they took games that worked and then broke them all. They look nice when they actually work, but it's a feat that they destroyed my enthusiasm to play Halo 2 online. People in comments elsewhere have been like "cut 343 some slack they tried to do something ambitious, they are trying their best" etc. I normally am very understanding but in this case I am upset and disappointed Microsoft even let this happen. All prior major Halo releases had major private and public betas. This one had none, and it shows.

Even if they fix all of the bugs (ha), I feel like the matchmaking will still suffer from a lack of join-in-progress. When I'm lucky enough to get an even (though underpopulated) match of BTB, half the time it will end up wildly skewed. There's no point in sticking around a 3 on 6 CTF match.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Yeah that was pretty bad but at least story mode was playable. This game was broken in more ways than one.

Going to have to disagree with you there--I had bugs with BF4's singleplayer as well. Then again, given that Azerbaijan is really the only level in BF4 that feels like it's worth playing through, and that was largely bug-free, maybe it was bugfree.

By contrast, I've been able to play MCC singleplayer since launch. I have had the mid-level save glitch twice (both times in Halo 1, once on The Maw and once on Truth & Reconciliation, never in any other title).

I also got 2 rounds of multiplayer on the first day, so for all I know, I'm just very lucky? In either case, that's still smoother than Battlefield 4--and I only played that a month after it came out.

That being said, BF4 is a pretty low bar to shoot for. I guess HL2 was an unworking mess when it came out, but that had more to do with Steam being awful at the time than anything else.

Assorted Halo 5 changes post-beta
    Post-death replay: this will become an opt-in feature. After death, players will see a traditional follow-cam and have the option to view a replay of their death from the killer’s perspective (as long as the feature is enabled within the playlist)
    Yay! As someone who loves playing Halo but hates the hypercompetitive aspects of it (BTB all the way), the kill cams are frustrating and disheartening. I know how I died. I was there. I don't want the game to rub that failure in my face. It makes me want to just quit out of the game and find something more pleasant to play. Which I certainly did during the beta.

Despite the fact that the intro and victory sequences in particular seemed to be universally loved by Halo bros, we weren’t 100 percent satisfied with the tone of these moments in the game. Expect the final sequences to feature considerably fewer chest bumps and high fives.
    "Universally loved"? That's a laugh. At least they're toning them down.
    Adding highlights to placed/dropped weapons to make them easier to see
    Nice! H2A multiplayer did something like that, so I'm glad to see it make its way over. I had a lot of trouble picking out weapons during the beta, especially considering how dark some of those maps are.
    Bring back the SPNKr Rocket Launcher as a legendary version of the weapon
    It's too much to hope that they'll replace their entire art team with folks who aren't awful talentless hacks, but at least at least a not-terrible rocket launcher will be in the game in some form.
    h5-beta-infographic-9620f1da5e024c8ca6e84a06a71df851.jpg
    Definitely some weird numbers there. The most popular "power weapon" only accounted for 3% of kills.

Aww I really liked the spartan dude bro sequences. I thought they were funny

Also is the MCC still totally busted or what? I can't really find the effort to actually go back and check, I tried BTB like 2 weeks ago and got nothing and that's all I really want to play

I guess its at the point anyway that even if it was entirely fixed they wouldn't have nearly enough players to make it worthwhile

They bungled MCC so hard it effectively killed the franchise for me

• NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    I haven't played MCC in a few months, I'm going to hop back on and see if anything is improved. HA HA.....

• sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    NeuralFizz wrote: »
    I haven't played MCC in a few months, I'm going to hop back on and see if anything is improved. HA HA.....
    Hey, if it's working, lemme know. I bought it when I got my XB1 for Christmas and haven't played it except for the Guardians beta.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
    Aww I really liked the spartan dude bro sequences. I thought they were funny

Also is the MCC still totally busted or what? I can't really find the effort to actually go back and check, I tried BTB like 2 weeks ago and got nothing and that's all I really want to play

I guess its at the point anyway that even if it was entirely fixed they wouldn't have nearly enough players to make it worthwhile

I guess that depends on what you're looking for.

If you want to pick a playlist and jump in via MM, that works.

But for me, that worked more than a month ago (though the wait times are shorter now). And that wasn't true for everyone.

As for population, that's hard to say--I play BTB primarily, and I have no idea how popular that is overall (it's less popular than Championship, I'm sure). There are enough people to consistently want to play CTF for some bizarre reason, but MM could be faster.

edited February 2015
    Yeah its probably down to a region thing at this point. I just don't think enough people are playing in NZ/ Australia anymore.

I tried a couple of nights ago playing with a friend, got 1 game of 3v3 slayer after 20 minutes of searching which then almost immediately turned into 2v2 :/

and I am yet to get into a single BTB game, it just sits there searching forever and ever and ever.

Renegade Wolf on
    Yeah its probably down to a region thing at this point. I just don't think enough people are playing in NZ/ Australia anymore.

I tried a couple of nights ago playing with a friend, got 1 game of 3v3 slayer after 20 minutes of searching which then almost immediately turned into 2v2 :/

and I am yet to get into a single BTB game, it just sits there searching forever and ever and ever.

In that case, regrettably, you could be boned.

We're still early in the console's lifetime (even if there are more XBox Ones than Xbox 360s at the same point), and you're in Oceania, I don't think there's anything that can be done. :bigfrown: Even if the launch had gone flawlessly, you'd probably have trouble getting a BTB game, simply because it's just not that popular--I primarily go to it because I want to conceal my awfulness behind numbers, and like vehicle maps. This is not a popular choice, however.

That sucks, but unfortunately, is probably to be expected. I mean, for me MCC is 90% a singleplayer experience (this is the first time I broke my own rule of playing multiplayer before completing the singleplayer campaign), but obviously, there are plenty of people who are the opposite.

I tried to get some BTB going on with four other friends the other day and it's still a bad experience.

Matchmaking wouldn't find anyone. Party leader would randomly switch. Got stuck backing out of matchmaking and had to force kill MCC and restart. Found a match but the map wouldn't load. Found a match but someone got kicked from the party (and couldn't join in progress afterward). Found and started a match of Hang em High slayer but the spawn points were horribly unbalanced leading to an easy steaktacular. Then again on Danger Canyon where the enemy team seemed to spawn in the exact same, awful ledge the whole game allowing someone in the tank to get a ton of easy kills. And overall it's full of quitters.

Matchmaking patch is out

Master Chief Collection still has a heaping helping of issues, but I'm getting matches relatively quickly!

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Just as a minor observation from a passer-by, I played local split-screen multiplayer at a friends place a month or two after the MCC came out and it worked like a charm. Playing Halo 4 at a buttery-smooth framerate was like a revelation in itself and it was kind of amazing how much-improved the experience was for the other multiplayers as well with a simple graphical and framerate improvement.

So as someone who loved Halo's multiplayer but never invested hardcore into the online community, the matchmaking problems are awful dogshit but there's still a hell of a lot of value in the package.

Normally I'd agree but I'm no longer near my friends so couch co-op is no longer an option for me, and they took away my mix-and-match Spartan armor from 3 and 4.

But yeah, constant 60 fps and being able to instantly switch between OG and Remixed graphics on the Anniversary games is pretty sweet.

Can't comment on online stuff though since I haven't touched it, even before the Halo 5 beta.

newSig.jpg
    Though still prone to bugs and other annoying little issues, the campaign content of Master Chief Collection is amazing and well worth a purchase for that aspect alone. Scoring, time challenges and a variety of level-specific achievements encourage different ways to play through missions and there are achievements for nearly every single collectable and easter egg in the series. Halo 2 Anniversary is gorgeous and a much more faithful anniversary than Halo CE.

Unfortunately, the online component is still busted, even after the patch. It definitely works more consistently but it's still prone to maps crashing on load, or the matchmaking getting stuck for minutes. That's on top of issues with the game itself, like messed up gametypes, a lack of join-in-progress, and playlists that still have incorrect player counts.

So this comes out in October. They're beginning to air ads now so expect to see lots of marketing for this thing soon.

Honestly, I'm actually much more intrigued by (currently Russia-only) Halo Online.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=612_qzVHRQg

Look at the Turf remake! And all that Halo 3 content! I want to play this so bad.

Dammit... a freakin russian game got better spartan customization then we did.

newSig.jpg
    Nocren wrote: »
    Dammit... a freakin russian game got better spartan customization then we did.

Well yeah its f2p

gotta sell all those $2 spartan hats