As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Miniatures Painting Progress Support Thread

UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before DoesRollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
edited October 2006 in Critical Failures
This general-use MPPST is inspired by Ein's own progress support thread, in turn probably inspired by TDL's and subsequently The Six Mouth Forum's support thread, which I'd wager was based upon ones found on B&C or somesuch.

But I digress.

For anyone who wants to write up and share their current and planned projects, be it painting, modeling, terrain, sculpting, or whatever, feel free to add it here and post progress reports whenever you make progress or complete part of it. In turn, everyone else is free to comment and encourage whomever on their projects.

For an example list, I'll use Morskittar's list from TSM's thread; although it is nearly 3 months old it makes for a clear example, especially compared to my hyperlinked laundrylist:
Not started
0/1 Warlock Engineer
0/1 Battle Standard Bearer
0/26 Clanrats (with command)
0/1 Warpfire Thrower
0/20 Slaves (plastic)
0/3 Rat Swarms (new metals)
0/9 Globadiers (mix of metal and converted plastics)
0/13 Night Runners (Mordheim plastics)

In progress
16/26 Clanrats (with command)

Finished
20/20 Slaves
1/1 Chieftan

Don't feel expected to write bulleted extensive lists or provide a photo every time, although I find it's easier to remember and comment upon collections listed that way.

Ok I'm the OP I made the thread so you have to do what I say now kthx.

hmm.gif
Utsanomiko on

• Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So here's the current status of my current stuff. I like to keep a master list of all armies, in rough order of priority/progress, and then include the relevant one updated along with pics/info on my latest finished minis:

Space Marines 1500pt army
    Happiness Patrol (Blood Angels successor): 90% complete
    20/30 Marines (10 assembled, 3/10 primed)
    10/10 Assault Marines Completed
    6/6 Honor Guard
    4/9 Death Company (2 assembled)
    3/3 HQ Characters (Blood Priest, Chaplain & 4th Co Captain completed)
    1/1 Razorback Transport (requires Chapter icons)
    0/1 Predator Tank (assembled)
    1/4 Land Speeders (1 primed with minor details painted)

Tyranids 500pt army
    95% Completed
    6/6 Genestealers, 26 Gaunts completed (image 2)
    1/3 Warriors completed (1 half-painted, 1 primed and base-coated)

Black Templars & Sisters of Battle small army
    Battle Company Reinheld & Sororitas Missionnary: 15% completed
    10 Initiates, Castellan, Emperor's Champion designed and chosen from bits (9/10 Initiates mostly assembled)
    20 Battle Sisters, 1 Canoness, 5 Seraphim aquired

Orks 500pt army (a lot of other stuff planned for later)
    4 Kitchin' Boyz sculpted & assembled
    20 Boyz, 4 Boyz with Heavy weapons, 2 Burna Boyz, and 2 Killa Kans aquired

Crimson Fists Kill-Team
    5/7 mostly assembled

Thousand Sons 1,000pt display army
    Covenant of Jobol Oul-Orok: 0% Completed
    0/9 Sorcerors (models aquired, sculpting roughly planned)
    0/2 Rubric Squads (1 squad aquired)

Imperial Guard 2500pt army, Malharvic Curiassiers
    0/2 army box sets for first models aquired

Genestealer Cult 1000pt army (Tyranid + Witchhunter advesaries)
    Idea being toyed with for 16 Genestealers & Broodlord, with Magos (Apostate Cardinal), 30 Cultists (Traitors), and 18 Hybrids (mutants)

Squat Kill-Team (Chaos Marine ruleset)
    Base models aquired (unless diverted to other project), sculpting roughly planned

Bretonnian ~1000pt army
    Trying not to seriously consider 2 army boxes (16 Knights, 32 Men-at-Arms, 32 Archers), 2 Paladins/Lords, 2 Damsels, and Trebuchet, already designed 12 hearaldries

Whew. As for my Marines, I completed two vehicles last week, a Razorback and a Land Speeder, and added chapter emblems to a bunch of Marines, so right now I'm right now I'm focusing on assembling my Black Templars and finishing my Tyranids, after which I'll probably go back and prime some more Marines.

hprazorback01fi3.jpg
    hpspeeder01at4.jpg
    Yes, mind the pink please.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'll contribute to this thread, though you could have just put it in the general warhammer thread.

I'm starting a vampire counts army. So far I have
    1 necromancer
    20 skeletons
    12 ghouls

and painted I have
    20 zombies

I'm either going to do the skeletons or ghouls next.

I always hate the way my models turn out, they never are good enough for me. I think the unit looks too busy, and it looks better in the shot than it does in person. Maybe I'm just being picky, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I figured since Warhammer discussions are now split into two mostly gaming-related thread, and seeing how much traffic 'my projects' & 'show your finished minis' have gotten, we needed one devoted just to everyone's general WIP stuff.

Anyhow, I like your choice of colors for the zombies. Pale green is a rather fun classic color for zombies, and their clothing has a good amount of variety yet very specific colors that don't look cluttered or patchwork in the photo. I think it's distinct and works fine.

I recall it being mentioned using tan/brown for the skeletons' bones, as opposed to the typical bleached look. What did you have in mind for the ghouls?

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Kool's current WIP List:

Necromunda Orlock Gang - 0/8

Warhammer Warriors of Chaos Tzeentch 0/12

edit: as i begin painting i'll prolly just edit this post with pretty pictures

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Utsanomiko wrote:
    I recall it being mentioned using tan/brown for the skeletons' bones, as opposed to the typical bleached look. What did you have in mind for the ghouls?

I was thinking about painting them with normal flesh.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Woot Finally!

I had a completly types first post for my own project log but I was too scared to post it so I'll just paste it into here.

Hello all. First off I promise I’m not copying Ein or TDL’s logs. I’m actually copying the logs on Warseer.

Anyway those of you who frequent the Warhammer 40k thread know that I'm an avid Warhammer 40k modeler. My main army is that of the Imperial Guard, however just recently I repainted the first 40k models I ever purchased, a Space Marine Tactical Squad, in the colors of the Blood Ravens chapter. The chapter was created for the popular real time strategy game Dawn of War and has since become an official chapter in 40k fluff.

I wanted to expand this small force. So to that end I have purchased the new Space Marine Megaforce.
    PLbox.jpg
    This force contains:
    10 man Tactical Squad
    5 man Combat Squad
    5 man Assault Squad
    Commander
    Command Squad
    5 Scouts w/ sniper rifles
    1 Predator
    1 Razorback
    1 Dreadnought.

The intention of this thread is to keep a running project log of my progress building this small army. I will endeavor to update the log each day with my further adventures in modeling and post pictures of my work in progress as I attempt and turn small plastic army men into these,
    4%20copy.jpg

Ok enough explanation let’s get on to the painting!

Here are some pictures of my work so far.
    PLBloodRaven1.jpg
    PLBloodRaven2.jpg
    PLBloodRaven3.jpg
    Yes I suck at taking photos but atleast I'm trying here.

What I have to work with from the box.
    PLSpurevehicle.jpg
    Vehicle Spurs

PLSpuremarines.jpg
    Marine Spurs

PLroom.jpg
    Obligatory picture of my work area.

Ok let's get this party started.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Utsanomiko wrote:
    Yes, mind the pink please.

n64.jpg

Ein on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Damn it Ein, ever since you first posted that damn thing I picture it every time I look at my Commander.

Grumble mumble...

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Not started
    0/1 Krueger the Stormwrath
    0/1 Epic Caine
    0/1 Captain Maxwell Finn

In progress
    0/2 Argus (primed, unpainted)
    0/1 Warpwolf (mostly painted, just need to finish it up)
    0/1 Kaya Wildborne (primed as well, unpainted)
    0/6 Wolves of Orboros (primed, unpainted)
    0/1 Woldwarden (primed, unpainted, sensing a trend?)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    For clarity, be sure to list what army/game your models are from, especially from non-Warhammer stuff.

But speaking of that happy Commander of mine, I do finally have pics of his finished backpack. I sculpted a decorative grail onto the back and added a large purity seal, I inked the lettering just this afternoon on a whim:

hpiscariot03ku0.jpghpiscariot04qm0.jpg
    Real men wear pink; anti-men cower from it. But I digress, since the color is in truth raw flesh. :P

Also, I don't believe I've posted my next 4 Black Templars, converted into taller and more baroque forms. I have one more Initiate to put together (needs 1 leg lengthened, both pinned, and some helmet resculpting finished).

wipblacktemplars04ju6.jpg

A few more gaps need filling and the arms will need actual work done to put them in better poses and more consistent styles. I've only got three (possibly eight) more legs+bodies available to make BTs, so while I'd like to form two CC squads I'm not positive how I'll be equipping them just yet (current plan is one with P fist & flamer, other with P sword and Melta). I may build them as 2 6-man squads, pump them up with a couple Neophytes, and then build a 5-man squad with bolters, a heavy weapon, and a plasma gun. I'll have to leave this train of thought here and reflect upon it later.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    oh man, beakies

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Hells yeah, I've got at least three more Mk 6 heads just like them and a couple more studded shoulderpads, plus I've been greenstuffing pads into bulkier trimmless versions.

And also, I am envious of Timspork's Blood Ravens. They are looking great and if I didn't have more than enough Marines as it was I'd want an army just like it.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Alright, I've started my skeletons, and I'm stumped on what colour I should use for my army. Either Yellow/black or Yellow/Dark Angels Green.

banner.jpg

The banner will be split down the center, with the regiment symbol in the center, shields will be likewise split.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    the green

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ok small update with no pictures.

The last of my pre megaforce marines are done. They just need my custom made decals applied. I'm going to try and use the Microset stuff I just got to see if the decals will go on smoother.

I finished putting together the Predator. I'm tryng a slightly diffrent paint scheme and primed it white instead of black before basecoating the tank in Red Gore. The results with the ink applied afterward gives a richer red that matches the game a little better. I'll decide what to do with the other guys I've already painted but if I mix up the models I don't think the difference will be that noticable. Probably they will just look like old armor vs new armor. Once I get the tank finished I'll post a pic compared to the other scheme.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited October 2006
    Hmm, I tried out the green and it didn't look quite dark enough. Here's the first rank of the skeletons.

On further inspection, the skull I just kind of drew onto the banner looks a little orcy..I may have to paint off the lower jaw...

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I like the colors, byt the skull could indeed use some work. The jaw and teeth are too big and elongated, and the eyes possibly would look better larger. The horns add to the 'orky' look, but without them and the jaw it'd be a bit plain. The only other design I can think up right now you could do instead would be to paint the top of the skull cut off with a flame out the open top, like a brazier.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I entirely removed the horns and lower jaw, leaving the small skull in the center, and I think it looks much cleaner. It can be changed later to better match other units, as I don't currently have any other uints that are flying colours.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Utsanomiko wrote:
    hpiscariot03ku0.jpg
    Every time I see your heart logo, I get a powerful urge to persuade you to blackline it, and go over the white a few more times to sharpen it up.

It always looks by far the messiest bit of the model, and by that I mean I like everything else.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    1850 point Dark Angels strike force. 3rd Company with Deathwing support.

Chaplain Eamon, and his Deathwing Command Squad. (Complete)
    pst1.jpg

Chaplain Bernard, and his Command Squad. (Barrels need drilled out and all models need rebased)
    pst2.jpg

Tac Squad Red. (Barrels need drilled out and all models need rebased)
    pst3.jpg

Tac Squad White. (Barrels need drilled out and all models need rebased)
    pst4.jpg

Tac Squad Blue. (Barrels need drilled out and all models need rebased)
    pst5.jpg

3rd Company Dreadnought, and Deathwing Dreadnought. (Both need names and bases, as well as battle damage)
    pst6.jpg

3rd Company Predator. (Needs a name)
    pst7.jpg

Assault Squad Silver. (All models need painted, based, and barrels drilled out)
    pst8.jpg

Assault Squad Gold. (All models need painted, based, and barrels drilled out)
    pst9.jpg

I plan on rebasing everything with urban bases similar to the Terminators. I really like urban warfare.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    awesome_andyawesome_andy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Holy shit you guys.
    Just how much expendable income does everyone in this thread have anyway?

awesome_andy on
  • Options
    RalakanRalakan Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Not started
    Cannoness

In progress
    12/20 Sisters of Battle
    1/1 Inquisitor Lord

Finished
    10/10 Sisters Repentia
    1/1 Callidus Assasin
    1/1 Immolator (needs repair though)

P1010002%7E1.JPG
    a couple models so far

normal_immolator1.JPG
    Immolator

Ralakan on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Ralakan wrote:
    normal_immolator1.JPG
    Immolator

What's your recipe for the brass on those guns and the eagle? It looks quite real.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    RalakanRalakan Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ralakan wrote:
    normal_immolator1.JPG
    Immolator

What's your recipe for the brass on those guns and the eagle? It looks quite real.

very very easy, just basecoat black and drybrush shining gold on top.

Ralakan on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Oh snap. I'm going to have to confront the horror of my unfinished miniatures.

Let's see... all the unpainted stuff:

Tyranids

10 Brain-leech'd Imperial Guard
    5 Genestealer Hybrids
    3 Warriors
    1 Carnifex
    12 Hormagaunts
    4 ripper swarms
    13 Genestealers

Witchhunters

9 Repentia + Mistress
    Immolator
    Exorcist
    Penitent Engine
    5 Melta Dominions
    Callidus Assasin
    Priest
    5 Celestians

Space Marines
    Fuck, all of them are unfinished. Of course they're all half finished, and my other armies are half painted/half unpainted so it all evens out in the end.

5 scouts
    5 Assault marines
    10 Veterans (heresy era esque marines)
    2 squads of 10 Tac marines
    Commander

Tau
    God I've repainted these Firewarriors way too many times. And I'm still not happy with the colour scheme. I'm going to have to strip them.

10 fire warriors (strip strip lol)
    A pirahna (un-assembled, I'll wait until I actually finalise my colour scheme)

whatever I do with my tau, I'm gonna try and keep the commie tau theme.

Necromunda Gang
    13 gangers (clockwork orange themed)

-edit. *looks back over list* :(

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Warhammer 40k
    -Witch hunters

10-woman squad of Battle Sisters -Painted

Inquisitor + Retinue - painted.

-Space Marines (Blood Ravens)

Power Armor Marines -mostly painted, emblems hand-done as well, only need the blood drop to finish. I'm just lazy.

Assault Marines -all painted, save the blood drop as usual.

Scouts -5 pistol-CCW, 2 snipers, Heavy Bolter painted, pair of boltgun scouts half-painted.

Terminators. 5 terminators painted, the rest only half-done.

HQ units: all painted.

-Ulthwe Eldar.

All painted and based, including that Avatar I really, really, really need to post a picture of sometime.

-Tau Empire.
    Gone thru several revisions. vehicles, suits, and most FW painted in a "stealthy" black-violet theme.

Likely going to go again, this time based on the Vanu scheme from planetside.

-Imperial Guard

All painted and based. Otherwise might to a few minor details, but otherwise done.

WARHAMMER FANTASY

-2000+ points of Orcs n Gobbos.
    Enough painted for a 2000pt army, plus a Giant. And that Wyvern I got just for the hell of it. There's still a Chariot and a bunch of common gobbos I need to finish.

-2000pts High Elves.
    All primed white, aside from a couple of Swordmasters, I just haven't had the motivation to start painting.

-3500 or so points of Empire.
    Man, fuck that.

Actually, I have Karl Franz painted, as well as a pegasus-mounted Bright Wizard I based off Balthazar Gelt's model.

MORDHEIM
    Unpainted empire models, mostly culled from Empire Militia models.

Unpainted Skaven warband, minus the one I donated to be used as a Halfling.

Unpainted undead warband.

Brother painted a warband based on our old WFRP party. It's pretty awesome.

BATTLETECH
    I have that old Citytech box. The one that comes with really, really simple plastic mechs. Everything is as of yet unpainted.

Inner Sphere:
    2 Javelins
    2 Centurions
    2 Orions
    2 Victors

Clan:
    2 Kit Fox's
    2 Novas
    2 Timberwolves
    2 Dire Wolves

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Brain-leeched Imperial Guard is a very good idea. Are they going to be hormagaunts or what?

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Warhammer 40k

1800-2k BLOOD ANGELS:

3x Tac Squad (2x Las Plas, X1 Heavy Bolter/Melta, with 2 Powerfist Sargem and one Power Weapon Sarge.) Finished all for a few models.

Honour Guard led by "Brother Charr" Commander with Power Weapon and Iron Halo, Commander needs Red Gore Basecoat, Power Axe Carrier 1 needs some touch up's and needs Regal Blue ink applied to his Ice Blue Power Axe, all tohers are beasecoated Blood Red and will Need to go underway soon.

Death Company: I will be painting a Death Companymen with Power Fist for the Bolter and Chainsword basic painting boot camp. I Also Began a bit on the Chaplain "Brother Tiberius" (Crosius+Jump Pack+Plasma Pistol), Applying Codex Grey on some of his robe'like bits, and will apply a Codex Grey Wash to the Model Before Continuing with other details. Other Death Companyman are Primed/Basecoated.

X5 Assault Terminators Squad "Repentus" X3 Lightning Claws, X2 Storm Sheild and Thunder Hammer, Blood red basecoats need a few touch ups, but otherwise is ready for details.

Devastator Squad, X4 with Missle Launcher, X2 Bolters, and Sargeant with Bolt Pistol+Chainsword, All have Blood Red Basecoat, needs touchups but is otherwise ready for Details.

Land Speeders: Have been fixed up a bit and Blood Red Basecoat fixed.

Rhinos: Broken one will be Refitted for use as Terrian, Current good Looking one is fully Basecoated and Ready to recieve details come time.

Venerable Drednaught "Krosus" and Furioso Drednaught "Exilum" Have Red Basecoat finished, Ready for details.

Predator Annihilator "Elysium" Fully Blood Red Basecoated, Ready to Recive details.

Warmachine

THE PROTECTORATE OF MENOTH 500 pt Rumble:

Holy Zealots: X8 So far, 2 Painted, X6 have Primer, Need to buy a blister of 2 and get a Monolith Bearer.

Revengers: One is Painted, Need to buy another.

Crusader: Will Begin Painting soon.

Guardian: Primed, on hold till Crusader is finished, as I'm using it for Practice.

High Exemplar Kreoss: Will Begin Painting alongside Crusader Soon.

Need to Purchase: Choir X6 Deliverers Box of X6, X1 Revenger, X2 Holy Zealots, Monolith Bearer, X1 Wrack

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    trentsteel wrote:
    Brain-leeched Imperial Guard is a very good idea. Are they going to be hormagaunts or what?
    Probably spinegaunts, the statline would be almost identical to imperial guardsmen apart from some differences that could be explained away in fluff extremely easily.

-SPI- on