As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was more complaining about the game, not necessarily the PC port.

• Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Revelations. It was pretty fun on the platforms I played it on. Definitely better than RE6, that's for sure.

• Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I enjoyed Revelations aside from the non-Jill sections. I just want to explore the ship and do survival-horrory stuff; stop cutting to monotonous action segments!

I may have been more lenient with it just because it wasn't RE6 though

Emperor_Z on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I wonder what's making them think we want more "Bayhem" in Resident Evil? Have the action heavy entries been selling better or what?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    RE6 had some fun missions. Overally I'd say it's a B+ game. Not the best, but certainly not the worst.

The missions as Leon on the school campus had a good amount of creepiness and tension to them. Leon's campaign was the best overall. Chris's is the worst. Resident Evil just doesn't work as a Call of Duty game, and that's what Chris's campaign was.

Jake's campaign wasn't bad. I liked the running/platforming/survival sequences, but the story of his was also the most forgettable. I have no idea what his missions were about.

I liked the third campaign the most because it featured two "new" characters. The absolute worst part of Resident Evil is Capcom's weird fixation on generic army guy Chris, the most boring character ever created (and when they do try to give him a personality they do the whole unlikeable raging alcoholic thing they did in RE6). Stop shoving Chris down our throats, give us new characters. Or at the very least old non-Chris characters.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    RE6 had some fun missions. Overally I'd say it's a B+ game. Not the best, but certainly not the worst.

The missions as Leon on the school campus had a good amount of creepiness and tension to them. Leon's campaign was the best overall. Chris's is the worst. Resident Evil just doesn't work as a Call of Duty game, and that's what Chris's campaign was.

Jake's campaign wasn't bad. I liked the running/platforming/survival sequences, but the story of his was also the most forgettable. I have no idea what his missions were about.

I liked the third campaign the most because it featured two "new" characters. The absolute worst part of Resident Evil is Capcom's weird fixation on generic army guy Chris, the most boring character ever created (and when they do try to give him a personality they do the whole unlikeable raging alcoholic thing they did in RE6). Stop shoving Chris down our throats, give us new characters. Or at the very least old non-Chris characters.

Leon is great, everyone loves him. Jill and Claire are awesome, everyone loves them. It's a shame Luis got Saddler'd, he was a likeable character too. Where are Barry Burton and Carlos Oliveira, though? Sheva Alomar and Josh Stone should get more time on screen, too.

Steve Burnside can suck on the pointy end of a shotgun. Do not bring him back except as a boss to be brutally slaughtered, Capcom.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Reviews coming in.

95 - Game Informer
    95 - Destructoid
    80 - PC Gamer
    80 - IGN
    70 - Gamespot

They all generally read the same. It's a great remake, the new models/lighting look beautiful but there are some low resolution backgrounds that hinder the experience, controls feel great, wish there was new content, but overall this is the best version of the original game.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Every now and again the topic of a reboot comes up. People wanting Capcom to start fresh, bring it down, and go back to when there was only the T-Virus and none of this parasite crap.

My idea for a reboot would be to combine the story of RE1 and RE2 into a single game, since a game set only in the mansion wouldn't be that long of a game. Start the story in the mansion. Let the players escape and work their way down the mountain and into Raccoon city. Then end with an escape sequence when the gov't brings in the nuke.

I think they could work it like that and give a proper amount of survival horror and action. Since apparently Capcom wants the mainline series to be action oriented now.

Or conversely, they could just end the core series and just make Revelations, because that's what everyone wants anyway.

Lucascraft on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The sticking point seems to be classic zombies vs modern gameplay convenience. Slow n' shitty doesn't go hand in hand with being able to score a headshot so easily.

Personally, I think the modern gameplay would work great with the classic setting... if the numbers of enemies was cranked way the fuck up, you were facing literally dozens of zombers at a time, and ammo was kept at a premium. RE4 onwards tends to drip feed you an appropriate amount of ammo so you never run scarce, which is great for action. Not so much for the fear and dread of not having enough. But then there's the big balancing problem - how do you make sure a player won't get trapped with too little ammo and end up with an unbeatable situation?

Oh brilliant
    There are totally ways of creating tension, scares, and a sense of hopelessness while using modern shooter conventions.

If you limit supply and keep the player from getting too powerful, that right there goes a long way towards maintaining tension. But when you start giving players rocket launchers, flamethrowers, and more grenades than they can throw, that's when zombie games get too easy.

I think Alien Isolation kinda set the new standard for action survival horror, you got plenty of tools and the freedom to use em on minor enemies, but at the risk of drawing the attention of the alien. Do you use your revolver on these 3 guys? Cause if you do, maybe the big guy shows up and you suddenly have a far greater problem.

Dunno how to translate that to Resi tho. You could have a Nemesis type enemy in the same role as the alien, but stealth doesn't seem like a good way for the series to go.

Oh brilliant
    The sticking point seems to be classic zombies vs modern gameplay convenience. Slow n' shitty doesn't go hand in hand with being able to score a headshot so easily.

Well, you could make it so that only headshots from a shotgun are insta-kills.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I approve of taking inspiration from Alien: Isolation if some sort of modern reboot is demanded.

Less is more in survival horror stuff. I don't want more more more (they already made that mistake with RE sequels). I want atmosphere and pacing.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    When does it unlock? Midnight?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    One of the postings on the store page says 9 PM PST, but the countdown says 20 hours so who knows.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    When I pre-ordered on PSN, it said 12 AM EST

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    There are totally ways of creating tension, scares, and a sense of hopelessness while using modern shooter conventions.

If you limit supply and keep the player from getting too powerful, that right there goes a long way towards maintaining tension. But when you start giving players rocket launchers, flamethrowers, and more grenades than they can throw, that's when zombie games get too easy.

Resident Evil 4 Professional mode was actually extremely tense for that reason, you didn't get much ammo (at least in the first half) and the amount of enemies stayed the same.

Dead Space 2, despite being really action oriented, was also tense because I always felt low on healing items and ammo.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Just finished Leon's campaign in RE6. Well that was... a game.

Parts of it were OK, but most of it was ridiculous. Who thought being trapped in a room with exploding Roombas was a fun gameplay scenario? The number of times cut scenes and action sequences interrupted the game were totally ludicrous, especially towards the end. When I was fighting the T-Rex type monster, I couldn't believe how many flippin times the control was ripped out of my hands to show a brief scene of the monster roaring or whatever. Is that really fucking necessary? Fucking game. Just let me shoot the goddamn moster!

I suspect the remaining campaigns are only worse in this regard, if Leon's was supposed to be the most "classic" in RE design.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I have heard that Ada's is the best. Also that Ada's is the worst. Maybe that averages out to "Ada's is worth playing" ??

Oh brilliant
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I approve of taking inspiration from Alien: Isolation if some sort of modern reboot is demanded.

Less is more in survival horror stuff. I don't want more more more (they already made that mistake with RE sequels). I want atmosphere and pacing.

I also don't want to feel completely powerless. It's why I loved the first one so much.

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

I also don't want to feel completely powerless. It's why I loved the first one so much.

You're definitely not powerless in Alien, you're given just enough tools and weapons to have control over your own fate, when you die in Alien, it's always because you weren't decisive enough.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    So I got into the series with 2 and have never played any version of 1. Super tempted to pick it up but without nostalgia helping me I'm a bit unsure whether I'd enjoy it

Prohass wrote: »
    So I got into the series with 2 and have never played any version of 1. Super tempted to pick it up but without nostalgia helping me I'm a bit unsure whether I'd enjoy it

Oh god, yeah. If you like Resident Evil 2, you will definitely like Resident Evil 1.

RE 1 is the best one, so definitely.

Not even close.

It is pretty decent, though.

• kara25kara25 no relation Registered User regular
    If I had to sum up RE like the Alien franchise, it would be:

RE1 = Alien
    RE2 = Alien
    RE3 = Alien
    RE4 = Aliens
    RE5 = Alien 3
    RE6 = Alien Resurrection

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
    RE2 was Aliens. Every preview for the game was "more guns, more zombies, more action". And that's what they delivered.

reVerse wrote: »

Not even close.

I dunno; I figure REmake is in a two way tie with RE2.

It's really easy to track the quality level of Resident Evil because they've conveniently put the order number in the title of the games.

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Nah 2 is da bes

And outbreak/file 2 are criminally underrated.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    RE1-4 are all super fucking good, 5 is pretty good, 6 sucks, and Evil Within sucks even more than 6.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    RE2 will always be my favorite

By the way, this says one hour till unlock

Bubby wrote: »
    RE1-4 are all super fucking good, 5 is pretty good, 6 sucks, and Evil Within sucks even more than 6.

The Evil Within is worse than Resident Evil 6!? Did the dev team shit in your Shreddies or...?

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    The Steam version appears to be unlocking right now.

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

The Evil Within is worse than Resident Evil 6!? Did the dev team shit in your Shreddies or...?

I played both, Evil Within is just a huge mess.

It's crazy how tense this game continues to make me. Though, to be fair, it's been thirteen years give or take. I don't remember as much as I thought I would.

• DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    kara25 wrote: »
    If I had to sum up RE like the Alien franchise, it would be:

RE0 = Alien
    RE1 = Alien
    RE2 = Alien
    RE3 = Alien
    CV = Alien
    RE4 = Aliens
    RE5 = Alien 3
    RE6 = Alien Resurrection

I had to make minor adjustments, but otherwise agree.

It's crazy how tense this game continues to make me. Though, to be fair, it's been thirteen years give or take. I don't remember as much as I thought I would.

I think that's why I'm so excited to play this. It's been a long time since I've played RE, and the last version of the first one that I played was the DS one. Which was what, 2006? I think I've forgotten enough of the puzzles to enjoy another run.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I still remember being so absorbed into Code: Veronica that when I got to Antartica and then stumbled into the mansion, I literally walked Clare outside looked around to make sure I was in a frozen research base, then back inside the mansion entryway several time, semi-freaking out.

I would love to see all the games given the same treatment that REmake got.

Or reboot the damn thing because, yeah... T-Virus, G-Virus, T-Veronica, T-Abyss, TG-Virus (Dead-Aim), Los Plagous, Plagous infected with T-Virus....I feel like I'm missing a few.

newSig.jpg
    I pre-loaded the game last night, and stayed up till 11 when it unlocked for me (CST). I played for only about 5 minutes, but I know I'm gonna love this. I watched the intro video, selected Chris as my dude, selected his BSAA skin because it's way better than his REmake skin, and I set out on my adventure.

Then I decided I'd fight the first zombie in the game with my knife. It didn't end well for me. So I turned in for the night.

Using modern controls does not make combat with the knife any easier.

This discussion has been closed.