As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South official pin announcement(s)

• AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    Jake Capps wrote: »
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    South set: "Welcome home" badge, great idea. the other 3? not great. cowboy gabe is ok at best. Tycho should be wearing an outfit, looks too bland like that. crockett kemper, eh...

Agreed. Seems like a missed opportunity for a Sand set. Also Davy Crockett died at Alamo but he was from Tennessee. This set seems really phoned in.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/09/08/undisclosed-propensities-part-i

For those who are unaware, the South Set is a call back to a decade old 6 part comic run that occurred during Gabe Actual's Birth. Tycho isn't wearing an outfit because he is The Eye Of The Goddamn Storm.

Kemper is wearing the Crockett hat because Cute.

After reading through that strip (which i actually remember now) I have new found apreciation of the south set. Clever, and impressive of their ability to reference decade old comics.

Also by extension impressed at Pedro's encyclopedic knowledge of the comic.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular

Jake Capps wrote: »
    South set: "Welcome home" badge, great idea. the other 3? not great. cowboy gabe is ok at best. Tycho should be wearing an outfit, looks too bland like that. crockett kemper, eh...

Agreed. Seems like a missed opportunity for a Sand set. Also Davy Crockett died at Alamo but he was from Tennessee. This set seems really phoned in.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/09/08/undisclosed-propensities-part-i

For those who are unaware, the South Set is a call back to a decade old 6 part comic run that occurred during Gabe Actual's Birth. Tycho isn't wearing an outfit because he is The Eye Of The Goddamn Storm.

Kemper is wearing the Crockett hat because Cute.

After reading through that strip (which i actually remember now) I have new found apreciation of the south set. Clever, and impressive of their ability to reference decade old comics.

Also by extension impressed at Pedro's encyclopedic knowledge of the comic.

I was rather upset that people didn't get the reference, but I kept my mouth shut because I wanted everyone else to hate this pin set so I could buy all of them.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    So, what time do you guys plan on getting up to wait in line for the LE South pin?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • SKOoOTASKOoOTA Ascot Vale, Australia.Registered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »
    I was rather upset that people didn't get the reference, but I kept my mouth shut because I wanted everyone else to hate this pin set so I could buy all of them.

They could put a turd on a stick as a pin to collect and I would still buy it.

• agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    SKOoOTA wrote: »
    They could put a turd on a stick as a pin to collect and I would still buy it.

Well CAH put in a box and I bought two...

Speaking of which, anyone stateside interested in a box of BS from CAH. I don't think Customs would let them in to Australia!

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
  • LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, what time do you guys plan on getting up to wait in line for the LE South pin?
    At Prime they had 1200 LE shields, distributed across each day by 350/350/350/150. I got up on Sunday and got in line for the merch booth around 7:30am. They opened up a little bit earlier than 9, and we were at the front by 9:30 getting our pins. South is going to have 1500 of the pins for three days, so I'm guessing the distribution will be 600/600/300 (WAY more than the Prime LE). I assume South will be considerably more relaxed than Prime is, too, so you should be more than fine getting in the line at 8 or 8:30.

Lazorz on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Lazorz wrote: »
    At Prime they had 1200 LE shields, distributed across each day by 350/350/350/150. I got up on Sunday and got in line for the merch booth around 7:30am. They opened up a little bit earlier than 9, and we were at the front by 9:30 getting our pins. South is going to have 1500 of the pins for three days, so I'm guessing the distribution will be 600/600/300 (WAY more than the Prime LE). I assume South will be considerably more relaxed than Prime is, too, so you should be more than fine getting in the line at 8 or 8:30.

ALL A RUSE TO MAKE SURE YOU GET A PIN. I SEE IT NOW.

Really though, yea, I was thinking that it'll be a little more laid back and whatnot.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Where does the line for the merch booth start? No one else in my group wants to be up early in Friday :-(

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • 00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    Hingo wrote: »
    Where does the line for the merch booth start? No one else in my group wants to be up early in Friday :-(

Since this is a new PAX I doubt anyone knows. At East/Prime, you had to stand outside until 8 and then they let people go into the lines for the mercy and into the Queue room line. At Aus, they let us go inside and go to the line as early as we wanted to wait. I'm guessing that this will be more like East and Prime where they start a line outside to begin with….but being that I don't know how the convention center is set up and if there is a place outside to start a line, in addition to this being the first PAX for South, we won't know until Friday.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular

Main entrance will be from Market Street, next to the river. Those will be the first doors open. Once those doors open you should be able to head right to Merch Lite and queue up outside it until they start selling the goodies. Thats the current plan as I know it, we shall see how it stands up to reality.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    Beker wrote: »

Main entrance will be from Market Street, next to the river. Those will be the first doors open. Once those doors open you should be able to head right to Merch Lite and queue up outside it until they start selling the goodies. Thats the current plan as I know it, we shall see how it stands up to reality.

Having a man on the inside is the best thing ever.

• Drayven_DarkoDrayven_Darko Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular

You heard it here first, folks!

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to 'Sparkle Motion'."

You heard it here first, folks!

I hate you just so much.

• Drayven_DarkoDrayven_Darko Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Oh don't worry, me too.

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to 'Sparkle Motion'."
  • dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    kuw6r6njo6sz.jpg

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • agentcooperagentcooper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    dmosinee wrote: »
    kuw6r6njo6sz.jpg

Never nude!

Let's trade: https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/agentcooper
    "Damn fine pins!"
    So had a bit of time to properly digest (obsess over) the newly announced pins and im kinda liking them more. I've noticed some things that i wanna mention. Putting them all next to eachother they seem to share a similar warmer colour palette. Mainly, orange, red and brown are featured in most pins, the state of decay and baron blade pins use shades of green and purple that are darker than normal, The only exception being MtG Ugin, which is a bright light blue. Do i have something here? am i crazy/delirious? Its kinda late here so im going to look at my pins tomorrow and bulk them by what pax theyre from. Could be intentional, maybe prime pins have more blue, east red, aus yellow.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    So had a bit of time to properly digest (obsess over) the newly announced pins and im kinda liking them more. I've noticed some things that i wanna mention. Putting them all next to eachother they seem to share a similar warmer colour palette. Mainly, orange, red and brown are featured in most pins, the state of decay and baron blade pins use shades of green and purple that are darker than normal, The only exception being MtG Ugin, which is a bright light blue. Do i have something here? am i crazy/delirious? Its kinda late here so im going to look at my pins tomorrow and bulk them by what pax theyre from. Could be intentional, maybe prime pins have more blue, east red, aus yellow.

No, but the colour palette is generally dictated by the individual IP. I'm glad that the Snakemoose Ugin Pin is blue, since the WotC have mostly been red, orange and black so far. A little green thrown in, but if you were building an MTG display it would look pretty samey until now. Hopefully they have a few other colours in the next Pin. Something in a yellow or a purple, maybe?

I think the only time colours are co-ordinated for the PAX is for actual PAX Pins. 3rd party and even most PA stuff is going be the colour it is because that's just how it is. What I'm hoping for is that as production runs increase in size it will become cost effective to have a wider colour palette for the collection. Using the same red over and over makes financial sense, but standardising colours does get noticeable after a while. If you do notice that kind of thing.

• CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    No, but the colour palette is generally dictated by the individual IP. I'm glad that the Snakemoose Ugin Pin is blue, since the WotC have mostly been red, orange and black so far. A little green thrown in, but if you were building an MTG display it would look pretty samey until now. Hopefully they have a few other colours in the next Pin. Something in a yellow or a purple, maybe?

That's exactly what I'm planning to do, maybe after the 2015 round of PAXen is through, and that blue Snakemoose* is going to make the display look a lot better. I think part of the problem, if I remember my MTG correctly, is they focus on one planeswalker at a time and they haven't gotten around to the blue magic ones. Snakemoose is technically colorless. I think we're probably due for a blue planeswalker since we've had 2x Chandra (Red), Elspeth (White), Garruk (Green/Black), Sarkhan Vol (Red/Green) and now Ugin (Colorless). So blue would be good, maybe a pure black mana character, because that's where the purple tends to come in IIRC.

I do hope this happens because the WotC pins are some of my favorites and a MTG display would be awesome. I just wish Elspeth didn't have that green emblem behind her. *shudders*

*Cowpuppy, stop trying to make Snakemoose happen. It's not going to happen.

Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
  • foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Cowpuppy wrote: »

That's exactly what I'm planning to do, maybe after the 2015 round of PAXen is through, and that blue Snakemoose* is going to make the display look a lot better. I think part of the problem, if I remember my MTG correctly, is they focus on one planeswalker at a time and they haven't gotten around to the blue magic ones. Snakemoose is technically colorless. I think we're probably due for a blue planeswalker since we've had 2x Chandra (Red), Elspeth (White), Garruk (Green/Black), Sarkhan Vol (Red/Green) and now Ugin (Colorless). So blue would be good, maybe a pure black mana character, because that's where the purple tends to come in IIRC.

I do hope this happens because the WotC pins are some of my favorites and a MTG display would be awesome. I just wish Elspeth didn't have that green emblem behind her. *shudders*

*Cowpuppy, stop trying to make Snakemoose happen. It's not going to happen.

the magic community is of the opinion that the next planeswalker will be a new Nicol Bolas who is black

foehammer on

That's just what ugin looks like.

Yeh i know, i thought maybe they picked him to stand out. Nevermind, it was late and i was rambling a bit, gosh imagine if i was drinking.....

8fuuo_RK.png
  • dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    So jealous of all you cool cats going to South in a few more days...

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
    Yeh i know, i thought maybe they picked him to stand out. Nevermind, it was late and i was rambling a bit, gosh imagine if i was drinking.....

I kinda just wanted to show off my promo Chris Rahn alternate art Ugin from this weekend :(

• dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    Admittedly it's been like 16 years since I played magic, but the only part of that card I understand is the 8 mana.

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I feel underwhelmed just because there doesn't seem to be as much new as the two main PAX.

South set, LE South, Broodhollow. I might try to trade for a few cowboy Gabes. Maybe grab the Undead Lab pins since I wanted to check out Moonrise anyway.

Worth pointing out that this pin offering equals the amount of pins we've had at PAX Aus for the first two years combined! ;-)

• flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    Is anyone thinking of actually organizing a pre MTG pin met up so the pinatics here could play against each other and pool their tickets to maximize the pins cost/games. I know some of the members mentioned something like this in the earlier post. If so is there a common time ppl plant to meet up at the tabletop area.

• darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    flashe wrote: »
    Is anyone thinking of actually organizing a pre MTG pin met up so the pinatics here could play against each other and pool their tickets to maximize the pins cost/games. I know some of the members mentioned something like this in the earlier post. If so is there a common time ppl plant to meet up at the tabletop area.

In the community events you will find more information.
    It starts at 6:30 with most of us.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
    TE finally got back to me and there may be a chance that we wont have to pay Full price for the Game/Pin.
    chg6fw4t89cb.png

SKOoOTA wrote: »
    TE finally got back to me and there may be a chance that we wont have to pay Full price for the Game/Pin.
    chg6fw4t89cb.png

So full price I guess.

My Pin collection
    darkinfero wrote: »
    So full price I guess.

That or PAX special price of $35

• DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    So full price I guess.

It will either be the full price ($25) OR the price they had it at when it was on Steam Sale ($20)

Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    More info, for those who need it :)

ol79b0f7os7h.jpg

Frostbyte on
  • HappendyHappendy Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ^Thank god.

• MozleronMozleron WotC Build engineer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    To those of you going to South, have a great time and stock up on as many of those non-purchase types as there's a bunch of us who can't go and will definitely want to trade our Prime/Aus/East extras for them!

Curious if anyone here will be/is using a comm app (i.e. GroupMe, WhatsUp etc....or twitter) to keep everyone updated on the status of pins or meetups to get pins. I know there's a pin trading on Sat in the evening, but I'm thinking more for chance if Trendy has a flash sale (unlikely, but one can hope) and its limited to the first 25 ppl or something like that. I think they had a WhatsUp app in PAX Aus to keep the pinatics updated of anything special.

Curious if anyone here will be/is using a comm app (i.e. GroupMe, WhatsUp etc....or twitter) to keep everyone updated on the status of pins or meetups to get pins. I know there's a pin trading on Sat in the evening, but I'm thinking more for chance if Trendy has a flash sale (unlikely, but one can hope) and its limited to the first 25 ppl or something like that. I think they had a WhatsUp app in PAX Aus to keep the pinatics updated of anything special.
    Yes we have that going and it's limited for 100 people

My Pin collection

Is it full atm? Otherwise whats the application process, if their is one (other than a passion for PA pins)?

Is it full atm? Otherwise whats the application process, if their is one (other than a passion for PA pins)?

message @pedroasani or @duckie to get into the group.

My Pin collection
  • 00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    Or me. I'm an admin also.