As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    "See? I told you this was a great landing spot. You should just listen to me next time."

• VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    Humm, I seem to have both storm trooper aim and main character bullet deflection.

Vechloran.png
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Ridiculously obscene application of explosives.

Mission rating: A++

Ridiculously obscene application of explosives.

Mission rating: TORGUE

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Velmeran wrote: »
    Humm, I seem to have both storm trooper aim and main character bullet deflection.

Ah, the "A-team" character class.

You just need a catchphrase, and you're all set.

• EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    "I ain't gettin' on no Skyranger, foo'!"

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    "I love it when a plan... AAAGH! (enemy movement)"

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I feel like we could have used 12% more explosives back there.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I like this job.

• YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Explosives fix everything <3

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    No deaths yet is highly dissapointing.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    None of the receivers on the opposing team ever complains about our footballs being under-inflated...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    cB557 wrote: »
    I like this job.

I'm sure you'll get to make plenty of phone calls to relatives, just wait.

Edit: Even Geth agrees

Durinia on
    For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Bigity was a star QB back in high school.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Eh, grenade throwing is more like a cricket bowler.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Eh, grenade throwing is more like a cricket bowler.

Quiet you silly blighter

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »

Sectoids and Floaters are balanced against conventional arms, and good play makes it pretty easy to take them out.

Mutons are where we'll start hitting a wall, and Chrysallids will wreck us.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »

Sectoids and Floaters are balanced against conventional arms, and good play makes it pretty easy to take them out.

Sure, but bad luck should strike at least a few times!

We are an alien grenade throw away from a mass casualty event.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »

We'll just take the classic Russian tactic when dealing with a superior foe.

Drown them in poorly trained, poorly prepared waves of warm bodies.

edited January 2015
    At least we're not going full EWOP on this. With lasers we stand a fighting chance.

cB557 on
    Lasers count as starting tech?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Lasers count as starting tech?

I believe the idea was human tech. So whatever improvements don't rely on alien stuff like elerium or something.

Or maybe just to have a slight chance of prolonged survival? I dunno.

• Oh My GodOh My God Registered User regular
    And as befits the gentility of the Penny Arcade community, we're going to make sure it's a fair fight. Stealing our enemy's weapons to use against him clearly violates the spirit of the Marquess of Queensberry rules. So we'll be using our starting technology only
    Regarding lasers and decoders and other such things: if it's not in the UFOpedia at the start of the game, it's off-limits.
    Unless Fanda has changed their mind since the first page, it's looking like no. No lasers.

Fanda wrote: »
    Having mulled over the nature of directed energy weapons for a week, the research team makes a breakthrough. What if we could aim a laser at the enemy using a handheld targeting device, with an integrated trigger mechanism to active the beam? They are tentatively calling this concept the "pistol". More research to follow.

Asa6vg4.png

From the first page, when Fanda starts the Laser Weapons research:
    Nothing on the critical path can be researched until we recover a UFO, so the science team can daydream about laser weapons until then.

I'll believe we're using lasers once they're actually pew-pewing at hostiles, all I'm seeing there is some ribbing at the fact that the scientists needed a whole extra concept to go from 'lasers, yo' to 'maybe... a pistol of some sort?'. In any event, you've got to keep the scientists busy with something, or they might start poking alien artifacts.

That never turns out well. Never.

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    I believe we get a small score bonus for completing research projects, so that's all I was after with the laser weapons. We definitely won't be building any.

In related news, guess what I forgot to do after our first UFO recovery!

GuXq7nR.png

Switch our research efforts to something that isn't a complete waste of time.

It won't cost us more than two extra days of work once we get the labs staffed up, but still, what a travesty. I'm lucky that X-Com project leadership isn't subject to motions of no confidence.

Alien alloys, ho!

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    So in other words, you're setting this all up to inevitably fail, while hoping that the process by which it does will be entertaining to your readership.

So in other words, you're setting this all up to inevitably fail, while hoping that the process by which it does will be entertaining to your readership.

That sort of defeatist rhetoric sounds suspiciously like something an alien sympathizer would say.

We really need to get some decent scanners up, start weeding out the infiltra- oh, right. Starting tech. Uh... I guess we just start shooting people and checking the color they bleed?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Oh My God wrote: »

That sort of defeatist rhetoric sounds suspiciously like something an alien sympathizer would say.

We really need to get some decent scanners up, start weeding out the infiltra- oh, right. Starting tech. Uh... I guess we just start shooting people and checking the color they bleed?

Why would we check?
    I'd think that confirming that we'd caused civilian casualties isn't likely to win us any points with the council.
    Nope, just shoot them all and claim they were aliens and/or alien sympathizers.

see317 on
    No, it's "Starting Tech."

see317 wrote: »
    Oh My God wrote: »

Why would we check?
    I'd think that confirming that we'd caused civilian casualties isn't likely to win us any points with the council.
    Nope, just shoot them all and claim they were aliens and/or alien sympathizers.
    I'm talking about team and staff members, here. I'm definitely assuming any and all civilians we meet in active zones are all secretly cockroaches wearing people suits.

In any event, you don't shoot them fatally, man. Come on, use your head. I'm thinking a nice leg shot. Legs are good. Plenty of blood, and you avoid essential organs. You could even work it into the qualficatim regime; do it before their ten mile run. Make it challenging, for once.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I need more of this
    this is so good
    I love you

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    !Signup

My only goal is to leave a beautiful corpse.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    So, we've got two weeks left in January. I have to assume a terror mission is coming soon, either in Europe or Southern Africa.

OSoim4H.png

If we continue to patrol South Africa in the Skyranger, we risk not being able to respond to the terror site. It takes five hours of flight time to reach our patrol point, plus half an hour or so of refueling for every hour spent in the air. Even if the terror site appears just as we reach South Africa, and we turn around immediately, we're looking at ten hours before the Skyranger is ready to fly again. Any time spent on target will add even more refueling to that minimum ten hours.

I think our only play at this point is to keep the Skyranger at home. We can still get some coverage with Interceptor patrols, although it will be sorely limited by their small fuel tanks.

We'll be in better shape once our large radar comes online in nine days. At that point we'll have coverage of Northern Africa, and we may catch some UFOs bound for Southern Africa in transit.

Geth, toss the well-used sweaty undershirt with grease stains at @Fanda‌

Geth, toss the well-used sweaty undershirt with grease stains at @Fanda‌

Geth, he's right there
    he just posted

wait, he posted 20 minutes ago
    damn

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    oh, and !sign-up