As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resident Evil HD REmake and Resident Evil: Zero HD released, REmake 2 announced!

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is there a way to stomp grounded zombies? Please tell me I don't have to waste more shots to kill them once they're on the ground...

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is there a way to stomp grounded zombies? Please tell me I don't have to waste more shots to kill them once they're on the ground...
    You can pull out your knife and hit them with that. They'll immediately start to get up after the first hit, but you can usually kill them before they attack

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Also, Chris's flash bang defensive weapons Pop heads to so there's no ressurection.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    This game brings back memories.

Got the GameCube release for my birthday, and my friends and I all stayed up all night huddled around the tv, in the dark with blankets and popcorn getting the bajeezus startled out of ourselves.

It was pretty awesome.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    This game brings back memories.

Got the GameCube release for my birthday, and my friends and I all stayed up all night huddled around the tv, in the dark with blankets and popcorn getting the bajeezus startled out of ourselves.

It was pretty awesome.

Yeah I basically had an identical experience

the REmake was the first survival horror game I ever played, and it scared the shit out of me.

Just seeing you guys talking about crimson heads brings back bad memories.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Oh jesus does new Chris look goofy

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Here's a slight breakdown as I understand it, though things might be different, and I'll try and keep things spoiler free-ish

Jill: Starts with a gun, 2 more inventory slots, lock pick which means infinite small keys, bazooka/grenade launcher, Barry and his Magnum.

Chris: (Possible) increased headshot chance, can start burning zombies sooner, defensive weapon can permanently remove zombies, maybe get an upgraded shotgun later if you hustle (which I think Jill can also get?)

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The IGN review made it sound like there were Crimson Heads in the original PSX version. I don't remember that being the case. Was it? I thought that was new in the GCN version.

Nope. There were Hunters, but that's it.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Finished my first run with Jill at just over 5:50. Not dreadful, considering I haven't played in a few years and did all the side quests.

Now I'm a few hours into my REAL SURVIVAL playthrough with REAL CHRIS REDFIELD. So much inventory juggling. It's unreal.

My biggest (only?) complaint so far is that they changed the text they use to display messages. The new font is not nearly as creepy as the original, faux-typewriter font. But yeah, I really have to nitpick in order to find flaw with the port.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Here's a slight breakdown as I understand it, though things might be different, and I'll try and keep things spoiler free-ish

Jill: Starts with a gun, 2 more inventory slots, lock pick which means infinite small keys, bazooka/grenade launcher, Barry and his Magnum.

Chris: (Possible) increased headshot chance, can start burning zombies sooner, defensive weapon can permanently remove zombies, maybe get an upgraded shotgun later if you hustle (which I think Jill can also get?)

Sounds about right but you missed how Jill dies easier and I think Chris might be more effective with the knife.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I wonder how that person got 18 minutes on the leaderboard. Isn't the fastest run like 1:20ish?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I believe Chris can take more damage and can ready his weapon much faster too.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Does REmake HD come with bonus costumes right from the start? It sounds like some of you folks have access to alternate skins right off the bat. Is that just a preorder thing?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I wonder how that person got 18 minutes on the leaderboard. Isn't the fastest run like 1:20ish?

By cheating, like every online leaderboard ever.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    The only thing that ever scared me in the original RE was
    the spiders in the billiard room. They drop right on you and it freaked the bejeezus out of me.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Does REmake HD come with bonus costumes right from the start? It sounds like some of you folks have access to alternate skins right off the bat. Is that just a preorder thing?

I did preorder it, so I don't know if I'm using a preorder bonus or not (bought it on PSN). However, when you are on character select, if you hit UP or Down rather than Left/Right, it will cycle to the BSAA costume for each character.

• Options
    Having never played RE1-3 before (I've tried, can't do the original tank controls), this is my first true experience with RE1.

I played last night for a while. Explored around a bit, solved like 2 puzzles, and then died on my way back to the save room. My understanding is that saves are limited and you should only save when you absolutely have to.

How do I know when to fight and when to run? How do I know which fights are unavoidable? Do they foreshadow boss fights so I know when a save is mandatory?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    RE for the PSX was one of the best games ever made IMO

Sadly, I only have a Wii-U so I can't get this.

(I could get it on steam, but I'd rather play it on a TV and I have no PC controller anyway)

• Options

How do I know when to fight and when to run? How do I know which fights are unavoidable? Do they foreshadow boss fights so I know when a save is mandatory?

You don't. Almost all fights are avoidable except bosses. No real foreshadowing although there are certainly some hints.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

You don't. Almost all fights are avoidable except bosses. No real foreshadowing although there are certainly some hints.

Look at the environments, use your ears, be wary of your surroundings, etc... There are actually a lot of hints for if you're going to encounter an enemy after walking into a room, but most of the spaces are just big enough so that you can avoid zomboids if you need to without using ammo. As far as boss fights go, there aren't really any indications of those. They sort of just happen.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man I can't remember...how did the burning work with Chris? As long as I had the Canteen I could burn corpses right? And was the Oil in the East Wing save room infinite or did it had a limited number of uses?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Yes and limited

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    This is really weird, playing a game where combat is not always the solution. I basically entered the RE series with 4, and you can pretty much kill everything in that game, assuming you can land headshots. So I've never experienced this whole run away thing before.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I started with the originals on PS1, and specifically bought a Gamecube for REmake. I want to pick this up too, but I'm afraid all this modern gaming has atrophied my RE skills. I'll probably end up getting it. Tonight even. I haven't played an old school RE game in a long time.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    This is really weird, playing a game where combat is not always the solution. I basically entered the RE series with 4, and you can pretty much kill everything in that game, assuming you can land headshots. So I've never experienced this whole run away thing before.

Yep you have to plan your movements well too. Remember which rooms you avoided zombies in, take different routes to get to the same spot even if it's longer if it means it's safer.

• Options
    Which is why I've always liked the original RE games over RE4+, but I like RE4 and 5 for what they are.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    urahonky wrote: »

Yep you have to plan your movements well too. Remember which rooms you avoided zombies in, take different routes to get to the same spot even if it's longer if it means it's safer.

Zombies reset to their default positions each time you reload a room, right? I didn't play very much yesterday, but that was the impression I got.

Edit: And the game remembers permanent kills, right? Like if you burn a corpse, that zombie's not coming back?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Correct and correct

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Zombies reset to their default positions each time you reload a room, right? I didn't play very much yesterday, but that was the impression I got.

Edit: And the game remembers permanent kills, right? Like if you burn a corpse, that zombie's not coming back?

Yes they reset, which is good. At least you'll know where they are when you leave and come back (if necessary). Burning them removes them completely and if you leave and come back into the room you won't see the corpse. If you walk into a room and see a corpse laying there either:

A) He was there before you got to the mansion and will wake up as a Crimson head before the others.
    B) He was there because you killed him and will turn into a Crimson head soon.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    A while back a friend gifted me the original FEAR on Steam, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well the gunplay and atmosphere had held up. It has an element of timelessness, something that can be appreciated even now; in fact more so as its design falls by the wayside and fewer games truly experiment with the FPS formula.

With only a couple hours played so far, that same feeling applies to REmake, and older Resident Evil in general. Past some initial wonkiness with the controls (KBAM is suboptimal; wound up using a gamepad and it was immeasurably more comfortable), I was pleased at how well the game stands the test of time. I'm one of those grumpy folks that bemoaned the series' shift into action over time, even if I ultimately enjoyed RE4 and 5. Hell, even 6 finally gave the player a range of movement beyond contextual button presses; being able to defensively strike, take a zombie down, or dive to the floor and roll around outside of specific moments. 6 felt good to play, even if the underlying action and plot were poorly constructed.

But classic Resident Evil is in a league of its own. The action isn't a glamorous Hollywood thing; it costs to take that zombie down, and he's not going to drop ammo to top you off. Resource management is a major consideration, and thus evasion becomes a viable (indeed sometimes necessary) tactic. Puzzles are more complicated than finding a widget and slotting it into a hole, or killing every enemy in a room to unlock the next door. The haunted house aesthetic has an inherent creepiness to it, even if you think you remember where all the jump scares are (I'm not ashamed to admit that I do not). The lack of objective markers most of the time lends an element of exploration and discovery, requiring that you learn and remember where anything important is. Events can even happen differently on various playthroughs, as you encounter your few surviving comrades in different situations.

Jesus, you can run from the first boss. You can get in, get the widget it's guarding, and peace out before it has a chance to bite and thus poison you, thus avoiding a small detour to find a cure. That's awesome. After doing just that I said to myself, aloud, "why don't more games do this?" And this is before everything great about REmake specifically, which is the standard bearer for how remakes should be done: taking the base concepts and refining them, while adding enough twists and new material to keep veterans on their toes. I'm still genuinely surprised by the number of times zombies have come through doors and spilled into new locations, complicating what had been previously safe routes.

It benefits somewhat from being the first in the series - before the series really got up its own ass in terms of plot and character development - but there's an efficiency and craft to Resident Evil that, I think, keeps it relevant even in 2015. REmake HD has been a welcome, and long overdue, reminder of that fact.

Christ. Those chains.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    A while back a friend gifted me the original FEAR on Steam, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well the gunplay and atmosphere had held up. It has an element of timelessness, something that can be appreciated even now; in fact more so as its design falls by the wayside and fewer games truly experiment with the FPS formula.

With only a couple hours played so far, that same feeling applies to REmake, and older Resident Evil in general. Past some initial wonkiness with the controls (KBAM is suboptimal; wound up using a gamepad and it was immeasurably more comfortable), I was pleased at how well the game stands the test of time. I'm one of those grumpy folks that bemoaned the series' shift into action over time, even if I ultimately enjoyed RE4 and 5. Hell, even 6 finally gave the player a range of movement beyond contextual button presses; being able to defensively strike, take a zombie down, or dive to the floor and roll around outside of specific moments. 6 felt good to play, even if the underlying action and plot were poorly constructed.

But classic Resident Evil is in a league of its own. The action isn't a glamorous Hollywood thing; it costs to take that zombie down, and he's not going to drop ammo to top you off. Resource management is a major consideration, and thus evasion becomes a viable (indeed sometimes necessary) tactic. Puzzles are more complicated than finding a widget and slotting it into a hole, or killing every enemy in a room to unlock the next door. The haunted house aesthetic has an inherent creepiness to it, even if you think you remember where all the jump scares are (I'm not ashamed to admit that I do not). The lack of objective markers most of the time lends an element of exploration and discovery, requiring that you learn and remember where anything important is. Events can even happen differently on various playthroughs, as you encounter your few surviving comrades in different situations.

Jesus, you can run from the first boss. You can get in, get the widget it's guarding, and peace out before it has a chance to bite and thus poison you, thus avoiding a small detour to find a cure. That's awesome. After doing just that I said to myself, aloud, "why don't more games do this?" And this is before everything great about REmake specifically, which is the standard bearer for how remakes should be done: taking the base concepts and refining them, while adding enough twists and new material to keep veterans on their toes. I'm still genuinely surprised by the number of times zombies have come through doors and spilled into new locations, complicating what had been previously safe routes.

It benefits somewhat from being the first in the series - before the series really got up its own ass in terms of plot and character development - but there's an efficiency and craft to Resident Evil that, I think, keeps it relevant even in 2015. REmake HD has been a welcome, and long overdue, reminder of that fact.

Christ. Those chains.

I wish I could agree with and awesome this post three times over.

• Options

Jesus, you can run from the first boss. You can get in, get the widget it's guarding, and peace out before it has a chance to bite and thus poison you, thus avoiding a small detour to find a cure. That's awesome.

I pretty distinctly remember them making you get poisoned no matter what happens in the other games. Did they change that?

• Options
    I'd love to see them move the RE4 HD port that came out 2 years ago and move it to PS4/XBO. I want to play 4 again, but I don't really want to deal with my PS3.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I'd love to see them move the RE4 HD port that came out 2 years ago and move it to PS4/XBO. I want to play 4 again, but I don't really want to deal with my PS3.

A moder is actually revamping the textures that weren't HD'd (which surprisingly there are a lot) and making them full 1080p. There was a post about it in the Steam thread, but if you're thinking about running RE4 again, I would wait until that project is finished and then play it on PC. The custom changes look insanely good.

For example... http://i.imgur.com/MSmi70r.jpg

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015

Jesus, you can run from the first boss. You can get in, get the widget it's guarding, and peace out before it has a chance to bite and thus poison you, thus avoiding a small detour to find a cure. That's awesome.

I pretty distinctly remember them making you get poisoned no matter what happens in the other games. Did they change that?

I dimly recall being able to avoid it in the original, but I'm honestly not 100% sure. If it is possible in the original, I think it's actually easier in REmake, since the snake seems to have a shorter striking range than I remember; he lunged at me while I was running and narrowly missed.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options

I dimly recall being able to avoid it in the original, but I'm honestly not 100% sure. If it is possible in the original, I think it's actually easier in REmake, since the snake seems to have a shorter striking range than I remember; he lunged at me while I was running and narrowly missed.

I'm 100% positive it's not avoidable in the original; we used to make jokes about it all the time because one of the first things we tried to do on all the follow up playthroughs was never get hit by the boss to see if it would still make you get poisoned. And it did!

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Oh man.

Jeff Green has never played a Resident Evil and he's going to start streaming this next week.

Hashtag happy dance.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I love Crimson Heads. From a gameplay standpoint, they're a terrifying new addition that adds a nice little management minigame when planning your route. From a lore perspective, they explain why Lickers exist, when Hunters are apparently better in every way - Lickers are just zombies that mutate, Crimson Heads are like 'stage 1' of the process. Perfect addition in REmake.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm watching the Giant Bomb quick look and Dan talks about the frustration of the super limited inventory. I 100% agree. I'm enjoying the game overall, but I never liked the inventory or the need for save ribbons.

• Options
    It would be an entirely different game without the inventory being the way it is.

sirtoons.png
This discussion has been closed.