As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Truth is... I am Ironing Man

DrezDrez Registered User regular
So this is going to sound lame, but I just bought an iron and my ironing board is coming today and I've never ironed before and I'm worried I'm going to set the world on fire (accidentally).

I bought an iron with some bells and whistles which seem to make it stupidproof but I dunno.

Anyone have any advice on how to iron without accidentally murdering everyone in my neighborhood?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Don't leave the iron on.
    Don't rest the iron's face on anything ever.
    Don't stop moving the iron when using it on your clothes.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Make sure it's filled with water.
    Don't leave it plugged in when you're done.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    It has some auto off thing but yeah unplugging it would probably be a good idea.

So basically I just put water in it, plug it in, wait until it steams or whatever, then move it around my clothes? Which I assume I should not be wearing while I'm doing this.

Yeah, use it to remove creases or wrinkles.

Make sure the clothes you are attempting to iron are safe for ironing (some aren't).

Make sure you find out what temp to iron too, some require lower heat(like silk). Adjust accordingly.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I essentially buy solid colored cheap shirts with vibrant colors that I use to blind my coworkers, like this:

61KbV%2BuzOoL._UX385_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Amanti-Dress-Shirt-Navy-Size-16-5-Sleeve-35-Neck/dp/B00B4X71NG/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1422025782&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=amanti+dress+shirt

Everyone hates when I wear that thing, so I want to make sure it's nice and crisp when I wear it for maximum blindnessication. It's polyester/cotton blend.

I'll be adding a banana-colored shirt to the ensemble soon for maximum troll.

But on topic: I should be safe ironing that I think. I'm probably going to use that exact shirt as a test run.

Yeah that should be fine.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Most irons should have settings for the type of fabric you're trying to iron.

kyrcl.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    also never wear silk shirts

camo_sig.png
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Don't leave the iron on.
    Don't rest the iron's face on anything ever.
    Don't stop moving the iron when using it on your clothes.
    bowen wrote: »
    Make sure it's filled with water.
    Don't leave it plugged in when you're done.

These two should have you completely covered in the "burning the house down" department.
    Drez wrote: »
    ...So basically I just put water in it, plug it in, wait until it steams or whatever, then move it around my clothes? Which I assume I should not be wearing while I'm doing this.

Iron's heat up pretty quickly, and will not steam until you apply water. They will just be a hot slab of metal, so you're definitely not going to want to wear your clothes while you iron them.

There's likely going to be a little button or something that will give the iron a shot of water, which will create the steam. The steam is used to release the wrinkles. It's pretty straight forward, but something that takes a little practice to get efficient at. Not difficult though, that's for sure.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Is Geth for or against wrinkled clothes, or did he just show up for a "hot slab of metal"?

kyrcl.png
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Experiment time.

Hot slab of metal.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
    I guess it's just the wrinkly shirts? Geth, you're a real robo-freak. I like it.

• wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Just a tip from someone that irons faaaaar more than he wants to: when you're ironing, cuffs > collar > sleeves > yoke > back > front. That way you aren't accidentally wrinkling the most visible parts of the shirt as you progress to the rest. Also, iron around buttons, not over, and be gentle so you don't accidentally bust the thread or break the center out of the button.

I never fill my steam chamber because I've run into an issue where something corrodes or gets funky in the water chamber and then you're pressing in stains, often without knowing it. I use a spray bottle full of water instead. That's just preference. Also, keep an eye on your ironing board cover for stains or other goop. You don't want to heat set stuff on the cover into your shirts.

If you're starching, especially for color shirts, watch how much you put on. The starch will flake up and look gross if you go too heavy (plus make your board gross and/or stick to the iron). Either do a couple light passes or spray and give it a chance to soak in.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Too bad you didn't post first before purchasing the iron. I would have wholeheartedly reccomended an upright steamer.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    there are actually quite a few "how-to" videos on ironing on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+iron+a+shirt

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Speaking of buttons: one trick I discovered in my youth was that you iron the back side of buttons, that way you don't have to iron around them. Plus it also has the advantage of pressing the inside of the fabric which sometimes gets too flat/shiny and leave the front side looking normal, but ironed.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Do not attempt to make grilled cheese with your iron.

In all seriousness though, I'd echo wrong_button and recommend the spray bottle instead of filling the reservoir. That's how my mother does it and she's been doing it for years that way.

Thanks for all the advice!

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Too bad you didn't post first before purchasing the iron. I would have wholeheartedly reccomended an upright steamer.

I too have a steamer and it is great but it doesn't work so well when trying to cauterize bullet wounds

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Drez wrote: »
    So this is going to sound lame, but I just bought an iron and my ironing board is coming today and I've never ironed before and I'm worried I'm going to set the world on fire (accidentally).

I bought an iron with some bells and whistles which seem to make it stupidproof but I dunno.

Anyone have any advice on how to iron without accidentally murdering everyone in my neighborhood?

OK, you're lucky because you have me. It's weird, I know. BUT I LOVE TO IRON I bought a $60 "professional ironing board". I would iron my ex's dresses, shit, I was asked to touch up my friend's shirt for his wedding. My sister and cousins come to me with their ironing needs. I can not tell you how anal I am about ironing.

All you need to learn though, you can find out watching this video:

http://youtu.be/yK6iQj-I_0w

My man John Francomb knows whats up.

Pacificstar on
    Thanks!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    also never wear silk shirts

Unless of course you are a Floridian pimp.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    As a Floridian Pimp, I

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Do not attempt to make grilled cheese with your iron.

In all seriousness though, I'd echo wrong_button and recommend the spray bottle instead of filling the reservoir. That's how my mother does it and she's been doing it for years that way.
    Most irons will have the ability to spray water out of their reservoir as well as create steam.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Regarding water/steam causng stains. Where I live at the moment The water is incredibly hard which can cause calcium stains while ironing. Using distilled water helps with that.

• RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    If you need to learn to iron, follow some guides, or the video above, and learn to get it right on your cheapest clothes first. You really have to do something dumb to permanently damage your clothes (like leave the iron in one spot for way too long, or run it without water), but getting those creases right first time will be the most difficult part.