As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Infinifactory: Play SpaceChem in 3D!

Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
I've noticed there's multiple threads talking about this, but this game is pretty fantastic and deserves its own thread.

infinifactory-preview.jpg

This is a puzzler with the same basic framework of spacechem, but set in a voxel based, 3 dimensional world. Lay down conveyor belts, weld things together, push other things around; it's great. And it's got a sense of humor.

Available on Steam early access now.

(Note that early access doesn't seem applicable here, as near as I can tell, the game is complete, the engine is snappy and responsive, and the voice work is well done.)

http://www.zachtronics.com/infinifactory/

• Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Having a ton of fun with this, so far. I'm leaving larger footprints than average, which is worrying, but at least my cycles are staying solid. My solution to the first sensor problem was very Minecrafty(if you ever messed around with piston-based circuitry). I'm wondering if this is common, or if I missed something simple.

Edit: Just saw a solution that was ridiculously simple, so yeah, I was thinking way too hard on that one. On the bright side, the technique I used may be useful in the future.

Edit 2: The update changed the puzzle. It used to be that the input had a line of plain blocks in front of it. Those have been changed to conveyors. The timing change messed up my solution.

ContentContext on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Played through the first set of puzzles. It's definitely got potential. The fact that gravity acts on all free blocks, including the ones you place, was something that surprised me at first.

I thought I had you in my Friends List already, @ContentContext, but I guess not. My Steam name is MrBlarney, so hopefully it's not an issue to find me. The more the merrier, and the more to agonize over cycle and footprint counts. Having all those Spacechemmers playing along is good competition and humbling all the same.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I just noticed it's possible to change the input speed. That opens up a lot of possibilities.

• Options
    Yep. Not only does it help your cycle counts, there are also some block timings that will actually make some puzzles easier to solve.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Did you know that you can leave parts of your factory floating up in the air (i.e. remove all supports to it), and it'll fall down when you start the game?

Did you then know that those parts can travel along the conveyor belts...?

Sounds like you can change parts of your factory with new parts falling/shunted into place after a set few cycles.

I haven't actually used this yet - it's more of a curiosity thing right now, but I wonder if it'll be handy later?

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    Someone will find a use for it. I used sensors on conveyor belts to interact with every other input. Also, pushing a sensor, to trigger the push of another sensor, to create a custom delay, is a wonderful thing.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Soon, we're going to have entire factories/sensors/etc on conveyor belts.

We will have meta-factories, dancing and gyrating to sensor/welded input.

It will be glorious.

Edit: My god

I just realised

We can reinvent punchcards with specially crafted falling sets of blocks

Edit2: I wonder if I can do a quine?

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    I was going to complain about the uneven input ratio on Small Excavator, but then I realized I was creating delay on the upper line, because of the way I was separating boxes. It would be easy enough to fix by slowing the input rate, but I want to figure it out on Max. The can't recall if adjacent but separate blocks can make clean clean turns, which is the main problem with the solution I have in mind.

• Options
    Oh man...I had completed a few levels of the 3rd zone and took off for a few days. Get back tonight, game patches and all the puzzles in that zone get reset. What's worse...I can't fucking remember how I solved the first one, and I'm totally stuck on it now.

• Options
    I was going to complain about the uneven input ratio on Small Excavator, but then I realized I was creating delay on the upper line, because of the way I was separating boxes. It would be easy enough to fix by slowing the input rate, but I want to figure it out on Max. The can't recall if adjacent but separate blocks can make clean turns, which is the main problem with the solution I have in mind.
    Adjacent blocks won't make turns cleanly, as far as I've seen - they'll always end up separated by a space after a standard conveyor belt turn.
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Oh man...I had completed a few levels of the 3rd zone and took off for a few days. Get back tonight, game patches and all the puzzles in that zone get reset. What's worse...I can't fucking remember how I solved the first one, and I'm totally stuck on it now.
    Not all of the puzzles got reset, only the first one. But it's not unfair to be stuck - I will say that the new rotator tutorial puzzle took me much longer to solve than the old one!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Haha! I've just finished the first level of the 3rd zone using a somewhat slow (but neat!) method.

Well, I think it's neat. It's probably all standard to you guys now. =P

Since the sharing feature isn't available, let me show you some screencaps:

This is the factory in construction:
    op97xbv7olvo.jpg
    Important things to note is the floating conduit and the 1x4 set of conveyor belts, seemingly too high above in the air.

Let's see what happens when I start it:
    f6c2if9ykac2.jpg
    The 1x4 conveyor belt and the conduits fall into place!

But why would I want to do that?

Let's find out what happens when the first block passes through - note the 1x4 conveyor belt is towards the top at the start.
    tg7a0mrgxr2w.jpg
    The block triggers the sensor, and pushes the 1x4 conveyor belt down! This means that the next block that comes through goes down the other path! When it does that, it triggers the other sensor, which pushes the 1x4 conveyor belt back up again!
    74dtbzbjex5g.jpg
    And then they happily combine at the output
    afl4hht10923.jpg

Neato!

• Options
    Fascinating! Very nice use of starting things off in a floating state to create some discrete manipulable units.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The newest update deleted my solutions for the 3rd section. That's disappointing. I was just about to record my Small Excavator solution. The 4th section is still open and has a saved solution.

Edit: After doing some reading, they should come back after re-solving the first puzzle in that section.

Edit 2: That did the trick. Had to make a slight adjustment, due to the rotate block change, but it works. Couldn't get max input to work, but I'm still happy with it.

ContentContext on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Jesus H, this gets really hard really fast.

• Options
    Is it just me or are "high scores" in reverse? I improved my factory to use fewer blocks which reduced my footprint to 141, and my "best" footprint is 162.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Is it just me or are "high scores" in reverse? I improved my factory to use fewer blocks which reduced my footprint to 141, and my "best" footprint is 162.
    That usually only happens right after you beat your old best. The new best should show up as 'best' after leaving or re-running the puzzle.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I labor for an hour or two to create an elegant affair that welds blocks and moves them along a belt in a symphony of automation. Factory finishes its quota, histogram shows up, and I am utterly dashed upon the rocks left behind by better industrialists.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    csuzwcsuzw Registered User regular
    Edit 2: That did the trick. Had to make a slight adjustment, due to the rotate block change, but it works. Couldn't get max input to work, but I'm still happy with it.

This is what I love about Infinifactory (and SpaceChem), same puzzle, utterly different solutions. Here's my completely different take on that puzzle: Out of interest what's the best tool for recording puzzles? I just use FRAPS but I'm assuming something better exists these days?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I like that solution. Saves a lot of unnecessary rotation and positioning.

I just use Fraps. OBS or something similar could be used, but it gets the job done.

Someone on the subreddit made a 7 segment display and I've seen an AND gate too. The pieces are coming together. It's just a matter of time.

Edit: ...are there actual logic gates later on? Either way, I expect some iimpressive feats of computing.

ContentContext on
  • Options
    I love those "Aha!" moments when you figure out a quick and elegant solution that lets you chop out a big chunk to streamline things.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I like that solution. Saves a lot of unnecessary rotation and positioning.

I just use Fraps. OBS or something similar could be used, but it gets the job done.

Just figured out how to use OBS! Here's my solution for Small Excavator - I make my halves similar to csuzw does, and just combine them slightly differently is all.
    Someone on the subreddit made a 7 segment display and I've seen an AND gate too. The pieces are coming together. It's just a matter of time.

Edit: ...are there actual logic gates later on? Either way, I expect some iimpressive feats of computing.

Have they proved that it's Turing complete yet? =P

Edit: Also, I like how you keep your sensor on that loop for timing! It's hilariously awesome =)

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    There's actually a thread on the Steam forums, dedicated to various logic gates and circuits. Gotta love the community around these games.

• Options
    csuzwcsuzw Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Almost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX_G8jtZceg (made by Notch too!)

csuzw on
  • Options
    Oh my god

What am I watching?

So awesome

Wait you can put entire parts of the factory on pusher blocks?!?!!

• Options
    I guess I should upload my (terrible) Small Excavator solution as well. It's definitely in need of refinement, I've just been working through the story so far. Or at least that's my excuse...

http://youtu.be/kBpw_0AcEgo

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I've just been working through the story so far. Or at least that's my excuse...

Ditto!

Haven't even filled out all of the possible blocks so far

• Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I've been really enjoying this so far. I loved Spacechem but thought it was a little abstract, so it's nice (and a different kind of challenge) to be working with more tangible objects. Putting new engines on a shuttle is super satisfying.

Thought I did okay on Terminal Display Reclamation (quick video in the spoiler):

W2 on
  • Options
    csuzw wrote: »

Almost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX_G8jtZceg (made by Notch too!)

Duuuude...I hadn't even realized you could make a clock using a conveyor belt loop and a metal box. That's a good one to add to the toolbox.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hm. I feel like this is a little easier than SpaceChem (especially the later stages, cause they were bonkers), but at the same time my solutions seem worse. It's harder to figure out where I've piled up a bunch of redundant blocks, or where I've got a conveyor that isn't really doing anything.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    So on the puzzle that introduces the Blocker, I didn't realize that there was actually a new piece. I just thought it was explicitly saying "hey you can use the pusher to block things, too!" So, I just used the pusher.

My design worked pretty dang well despite that, though.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Been making slow progress, because I got caught up optimizing a couple of levels.

Shuttle Maintenance
    Oversight Terminal Model 6 Really happy with how compact I got that one.

ContentContext on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Oh man, just finished Gneiss Chair, and saw the solution distributions. My design was good and so I got into the top tier of cycles used, but the footprint was awful at 138. That's okay, I usually don't like optimizing for footprint...

except I noticed that there was a very tiny number of people who managed to get that bastard's footprint under 50 (or is it 50 or under?). I'm just, "HOW?!" So, I spent a good chunk of time trying to figure out how to squeeze it into the smallest possible space. A few grinder-related epiphanies later, and I managed it: a footprint of 46! Goddamn that was interesting.

• Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    Been making slow progress, because I got caught up optimizing a couple of levels.

Shuttle Maintenance
    Oversight Terminal Model 6 Really happy with how compact I got that one.

Would you mind posting a clearer picture of how you got the conveyor belts near the engine input to slide back and forth like that?

• Options
    Ecco's design for the new rotator puzzle was the basis. The major difference is that mine detects the conveyor, instead of the input block.
    FHyzPI8.jpg
    This is right next to the input, before the conveyor drops. You can see where the sensors are located.
    kLjK3o5.jpg
    The left sensor connects straight to the left pusher. For timing purposes, the right sensor has to trigger a pusher-sensor combo, which activates the right pusher.
    bT7YCeL.jpg

• Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    So I just got this game and I am loving it. Just did the first 2 groups of levels and loved watching the "Pits of Iron" VHS. I was completely surprised that there is a story to the game. Does anyone else wish there was a way to switch a sensor to be inverted?

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Lux782 wrote: »
    So I just got this game and I am loving it. Just did the first 2 groups of levels and loved watching the "Pits of Iron" VHS. I was completely surprised that there is a story to the game. Does anyone else wish there was a way to switch a sensor to be inverted?

There's vertical ones, but nothing that fires from underneath. Would certainly reduce the sprawl on some of my solutions.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    I spent a buttload of time on excavator yesterday. I basically had it, but my factory wasn't "stable," meaning by the 3rd loop all hell would break loose. In the middle of the night the solution came to me, but it's going to require almost a complete tear down to fix.

I really wish there were vertical pushers, or sensor blocks that could detect from the bottom up.

• Options
    I'd really like to see this with some open-world Factorio stuff gameplay. That would scratch a pretty massive itch for me.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I spent a buttload of time on excavator yesterday. I basically had it, but my factory wasn't "stable," meaning by the 3rd loop all hell would break loose. In the middle of the night the solution came to me, but it's going to require almost a complete tear down to fix.

I really wish there were vertical pushers, or sensor blocks that could detect from the bottom up.
    If you can wait to explore a few more levels, you will find something that can push blocks up...

Edit:

Also, once the level sharing features have been sorted out, I fear the inevitable competitions/challenges that will be thrown out.

Fear.

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options

If you can wait to explore a few more levels, you will find something that can push blocks up...

Edit:

Also, once the level sharing features have been sorted out, I fear the inevitable competitions/challenges that will be thrown out.

Fear.

They're already showing up in the workshop on steam. Community submissions are often a total crap shoot though.