As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They did the thing in finale of [The Legend of Korra]!

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    We can still talk about it; I love talking about it! In fact I keep pushing the DVDs on my heathen friends so that I have someone to talk about it with. (I am a bad friend).

I'm kinda tempted to do some sort of episode-by-episode analysis of LoA and LoK now that the whole thing is finished, looking at like, animation and narrative and score and such. I'm sure like a million similar things already exist but I think it would at least be fun for me.

• Options
    dspimonidspimoni Registered User regular
    It's time for a Death Battle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xQk4s9qYrk
    Should be a fun watch.

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Oh we're talking about this still.

I just binged season 4 over the weekend. Good season, though I wish it were about twice as long so things had some time to breathe. Basically echoing the sentiment that stuff felt kind of compressed.
    Especially when they expect you to swallow that an experimental superweapon that has only just been tested on a firing range is now totally cool to mount and deploy on a different experimental superweapon that is also a giant bipedal robot that somehow nobody knew about.

Within the span of a week.

I know it's weird to nitpick the believability of a show about magical teenagers, but for some reason the timescale on that stuff just pushed the suspension of disbelief a bit too far for me.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'd imagine we would have gotten more information if the clip show hadn't actually been a clip show.

edit: If Nick had actually given them enough of a budget in the first place, that is.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm really curious what this show would have been like if Nick had ordered 4 13-episode seasons from the get-go, then gave them plenty of time and money to make them. I bet it would have been amazing from the start.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Disney is scooping up talent left and right and have a network for shows like avatar.

If Nickelodeon was smart theyd move the show to teen Nick and have them start on the next avatar

Personally, I'm totally okay letting the Avatar thing fade away so the creators can work on something new.

We've had two shows, we don't need more and more avatar forever.

Korra itself only barely managed to avoid being run into the ground, I'm pretty happy with what we have.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I would definitely like a couple Korra continuation comics, though, like what TLA got.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yah, whilst I think the ending to LoK was pretty great and a strong final note for Avatar in general, I certainly wouldn't be averse to a little more side-material!
    (Although kinda speaking of which nickelodeon just put a few expanded family trees on their website which includes a couple of extra names not mentioned in the show, like Asami's mother and Unalaq's wife get actual names. Kinda nice I guess.)

Also here's a fun little video which montages all the episodes of LoA and LoK together which is pretty cute:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bolugx37czQ

• Options
    one thing that struck me about those family trees is how Suki doesn't appear at all and we're never told much of anything in LoK what happened to Sokka either

• Options
    It is a little odd that Suki is never mentioned at all. But I guess, unlike with the other characters, Sokka's relationship is not all that important to the plot of LoK. I guess they could have just broken up at some point between shows. I'd wager that they didn't want to put too much focus on fanservice to the old show when they still had to squeeze like two seasons worth of plot into 12 episodes.

As for Sokka, in the Korracast episode with the LoK production manager he does sort of say (uh, spoilers for entirely non-canon conjecture I guess?)
    That Sokka might not have made it out of the fight when Zaheer and co. first tried to take Korra. Which makes some sense I suppose, although you'd imagine that'd be the sort of thing mentioned in the show proper to add some weight to the threat the Red Lotus represent.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Fugitive wrote: »

I just binged season 4 over the weekend. Good season, though I wish it were about twice as long so things had some time to breathe. Basically echoing the sentiment that stuff felt kind of compressed.
    Especially when they expect you to swallow that an experimental superweapon that has only just been tested on a firing range is now totally cool to mount and deploy on a different experimental superweapon that is also a giant bipedal robot that somehow nobody knew about.

I know it's weird to nitpick the believability of a show about magical teenagers, but for some reason the timescale on that stuff just pushed the suspension of disbelief a bit too far for me.

I think there was a bit more hinting at that twist than you would get on first pass normally. A lot of characters kept referring to Kuvira using slave labor to build something. There was a notable lack of slave labor when we see Kuvira testing the WMD, and it is not nearly big enough to even require a huge work force. I sure as hell didn't see it coming, but i knew something was off. That and the destruction of the walls of ZaoFu left the viewer with plenty of room for suspicion.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Fugitive wrote: »

I think there was a bit more hinting at that twist than you would get on first pass normally. A lot of characters kept referring to Kuvira using slave labor to build something. There was a notable lack of slave labor when we see Kuvira testing the WMD, and it is not nearly big enough to even require a huge work force. I sure as hell didn't see it coming, but i knew something was off. That and the destruction of the walls of ZaoFu left the viewer with plenty of room for suspicion.

Even so from an episode-to-episode context, it didn't really feel like a natural progression. There was no indication that enough time had passed for all of that to happen.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Imagine if Disney acquired the Avatar-verse, though.

Disney Infinity Korra.

Korra in KH3.

Please gimme.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Oh wait wait.

Instead of Infinity, or KH, we get...

Once Upon a Time Korra.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'd still take it.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Oh wait wait.

Instead of Infinity, or KH, we get...

Once Upon a Time Korra.

okay yeah but she's not a scruffy dude, so I'm not sure they'd be interested

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Korra is a Bisexual PoC, they wouldn't know what to do with her; just ask Mulan.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I have more than a few Asian female friends from childhood who are still salty about how Mulan was the only "unattractive" Disney princess whose "exotic" features were over-emphasized. It wasn't even something I thought about until they brought it up years (decades?) later. Like, I'm not even sure I agree with them, but hey I'm not a woman so I just defer to how they felt about it growing up.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I have more than a few Asian female friends from childhood who are still salty about how Mulan was the only "unattractive" Disney princess whose "exotic" features were over-emphasized. It wasn't even something I thought about until they brought it up years (decades?) later. Like, I'm not even sure I agree with them, but hey I'm not a woman so I just defer to how they felt about it growing up.

Mulan had to be tricky to design . She has to look like a young man and look chinese. They couldnt design her like a traditional Disney princess.

Saying shes unattractive is inaccurate imo. Shes probably closer to a realistic standard of beauty than say Jasmine

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2015

It's still weird seeing Nickelodeon recognising Korra, in really any capacity, but with regards to the ending in particular, but here we are. Nice to see at the very least.

I haven't checked but as this is twitter I'm assuming you should probably avoid the comments for sanities sake.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Stuff like that makes me very hopeful for official Korra comics down the line.

I don't know why I'm so much more impatient to see more of Korra than I was to see more of Aang.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Nickelodeon, in their confusion as to how to market or adapt Avatar properties will now commission popular young-adult authors to write romantic fiction about Korra and Asami's vacation in the spirit world. There will be no input from the creative team of the show.

That's just a little thing my brain cooked up right now when I asked myself "Okay, now how are they going to screw this all up?"

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think it got them a lot more attention (and positive attention) than they ever expected and someone in marketing woke up like "ohhhhhhhh shit let's do something with this"

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Alan Sepinwall shared his thoughts on ATLA/Korra recently

He actually found the writing in Korra to be more consistent, which is not something I agree with, but is interesting

• Options
    PSA: it looks like Nick has put up all of Korra free to watch for now!

http://www.nick.com/legend-of-korra/episodes/

• Options
    Not in the UK!
    Although I guess that's not hugely surprising, I don't think book 4 has even aired properly over here yet, certainly the DVDs for book 3 aren't out here currently.

• Options
    Oh, also, I've been rewatching book 2, which obviously is a bit of a mess in places, but I spotted something I haven't really paid attention to before and wasn't sure if I'd missed some set up or something.

When Wan and Raava fuse during harmonic convergence Wan has to go and touch the spirit portal beam thingy before they actually become the avatar, and Unalaq does the same thing in the finale after fusing with Vaatu, there's a whole animation of them being engulfed in blue/purple light and everything. I'm just not sure, why? Clearly it's essential to the whole fusion process but I feel like I missed the actual significance of it. Does anyone happen to know anything about that?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    spirit energy

nothing about korra's spirit energy makes sense

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Ah, magic, gotcha.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Oh, also, I've been rewatching book 2, which obviously is a bit of a mess in places, but I spotted something I haven't really paid attention to before and wasn't sure if I'd missed some set up or something.

When Wan and Raava fuse during harmonic convergence Wan has to go and touch the spirit portal beam thingy before they actually become the avatar, and Unalaq does the same thing in the finale after fusing with Vaatu, there's a whole animation of them being engulfed in blue/purple light and everything. I'm just not sure, why? Clearly it's essential to the whole fusion process but I feel like I missed the actual significance of it. Does anyone happen to know anything about that?

If I recall, they were using the energy of Harmonic Convergence to make the fusion permanent/nonlethal. I could've sworn they explained it, but maybe I was wrong.

I think it basically gives a reason for why the big Vaatu battle has to happen now rather than some other point in the last 10,000 years (aside from him being at the height of his power then also). Also explains why people and spirits aren't fusing all the time and what was special about the creation of the Avatar in the first place.

• Options
    For you Toph fans out there:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGbN_fIoX0o
    The fanboy rage in the comments tastes delicious.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Jimothy wrote: »
    If I recall, they were using the energy of Harmonic Convergence to make the fusion permanent/nonlethal. I could've sworn they explained it, but maybe I was wrong.

I think it basically gives a reason for why the big Vaatu battle has to happen now rather than some other point in the last 10,000 years (aside from him being at the height of his power then also). Also explains why people and spirits aren't fusing all the time and what was special about the creation of the Avatar in the first place.

That makes as much sense as anything, I forgot the spirit portals go all loopy and weird during harmonic convergence.
    I don't remember it being explained, but that doesn't mean they don't. (Although then again there is a bunch of stuff which goes kinda unexplained in book 2, so maybe it's just another one of those).

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2015
    TankHammer wrote: »
    *Bi as hell.
    I missed this (good) post, but I want to reassure everyone that it's not bi erasure but rather Mako erasure.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Also, not only does Nick have an official korrasami video, as aforementioned, but they just updated it to include the reunion scene in book 4 (from, uh, The Reunion).
    Not sure what prompted that, fan feedback maybe? But it's vaguely interesting and relevant regardless.

• Options
    man I hate all the comments on the youtube video about how "it wasn't built up" and stuff

it's somehow even more annoying than if they were simple moral crusader homophobes

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, but the guy's cadence is really grating to me. I can't make it more than a couple minutes in.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    man I hate all the comments on the youtube video about how "it wasn't built up" and stuff

it's somehow even more annoying than if they were simple moral crusader homophobes

There's a lot of that floating around on, like, tumblr and stuff, I think it's mostly just upset shippers coupled with an undercurrent of homophobia.

It's especially amusing when you consider that it's not like there aren't quickly built relationships in the show; on rewatching book 3 Opal and Bolin have like three scenes together and each one is devoted almost entirely to your standard straight romance cliches; they're flirting and blushing within seconds of meeting one another etc.
    It's almost like the writers going: 'see how easily we can get these two together, compare and contrast with all the skirting around involved with Korra and Asami.'

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    To be fair, that might be part of WHY people complain about this one coming out of nowhere. It was a subtly developed relationship, on a show that's traditionally not been subtle about relationships at all. (Although in that case, Korra blushing when Asami complimented her hair should have tipped them off).

cdci44qazyo3.gif