As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Orange Box Gifting Thread

• Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ok my episode 1 is going to Overlord.

Gear Girl on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mr Peepers wrote: »
    Mr Peepers - Half-Life 2 (Want)

My account is SmithOf90

Sent.

Aistan on
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I still have unregistered boxed copies of HL2, HL2:CE, HL2:EP1, etc. I was planning on "gifting" one of each to my nephew the day he gets a computer of his own good enough. It's gonna be harder to sell the others after tomorrow! Luckily, the retail version comes with separate keys for the gift-able products so you can give them away physically with the case and inserts without ever registering for something like a time period expiration to be a concern.

CZroe on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I could use both, but I don't have a Steam account.

What do I do

Magus` on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Drovek - HL2 (WANT)
    Please contact through PM because it's not actually for me, it's for a friend.

EDIT: Thanks, Gear Girl!

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ok - I've got Steam installed - is there anyone with a gift available for Halflife 2 - and how do I get it?

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited October 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    I could use both, but I don't have a Steam account.

What do I do

Uhh, sign up for Steam? The account it free. You can play demos and stuffs. Neato.

CZroe on
  • Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Aistan is now my friend always and forever.

Please remove me (SmithOf90) from the list.

Mr Peepers on
    edited October 2007
    Herby wrote: »
    Ok - I've got Steam installed - is there anyone with a gift available for Halflife 2 - and how do I get it?

Gotta wait until people start buying and installing the game... unless a Steam presell goes ahead and frees up gifts for the older, already released, games.

CZroe on
    edited October 2007
    I get it. Maybe I'll try the demo tonight then...

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited October 2007
    I would really enjoy some episode 1, if anybody would wish to part with it. I have no gifts, other than what nature bestowed upon me :(

ShooterMG - HL2:Ep1 (want)

Sent.

This thread has made me feel happy :D

Aistan on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was considering begging for Ep1, but I'm probably going to get the Orange Box anyway, so never mind.

Daedalus on
    edited October 2007
    Suggestion: How about we require "WANT" people to state their series completion progress for prioritization purposes? Someone who has beaten Hal-Life 2 and wants HL2 EP1 should take priority over someone who has not when it comes to EP1. Someone who has beaten both can take sloppy thirds. For HL2? I dunno... if you haven't beaten it, of course, you take priority over someone who has. It would still be up to the gifter to choose the giftee, but it would make chosing easier.

CZroe on
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yay, thank you!

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
    edited October 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    Suggestion: How about we require "WANT" people to state their series completion progress for prioritization purposes? Someone who has beaten Hal-Life 2 and wants HL2 EP1 should take priority over someone who has not when it comes to EP1. Someone who has beaten both can take sloppy thirds. For HL2? I dunno... if you haven't beaten it, of course, you take priority over someone who has. It would still be up to the gifter to choose the giftee, but it would make chosing easier.

I just went by who asked first. Seemed easiest, and really I think more people will end up being gifters than gift...ees?

Or should I have held out longer for more... tangible rewards? Curse my giving nature!

Aistan on
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Edit: gotten

My steam name is Kranger_Rudy

Also I intend to buy orange box when I get the money, so if someone gifts me theirs I promise I'll gift mine out on here when I get it.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    thorgot wrote: »
    [noparse]If anybody wants a guest pass for CS:S, DoD:S, or Red Orchestra, you could also post that in here. Lots of people have those.[/noparse]

Seriously?

I need one of each of those, but I don't want to look greedy.

rayofash on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Gotta wait until people start buying and installing the game... unless a Steam presell goes ahead and frees up gifts for the older, already released, games.

That did indeed happen, hence why people have sent and recieved the gifts already in this thread.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited October 2007
    Steam installed!

Name is - JFMSSR

I need/want.. well, anything. I don't have HL2, EP1 or anything of the ilk.

Magus` on
    edited October 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    [noparse]If anybody wants a guest pass for CS:S, DoD:S, or Red Orchestra, you could also post that in here. Lots of people have those.[/noparse]

Seriously?

They're only guest passes, so they only work for like a week.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited October 2007
    Dangerous wrote: »
    WANT: HL2 and Episode 1

Also I intend to buy orange box when I get the money, so if someone gifts me theirs I promise I'll gift mine out on here when I get it.

Shit, I didn't think of that!

Okay, sign me up for Ep1 and I'll re-gift it when/if I buy Orange Box. I already have (and beat) HL2, so I don't need that one.

steam account name: the_warlock

Daedalus on
    edited October 2007

That did indeed happen, hence why people have sent and recieved the gifts already in this thread.

Time and time again, people keep picking the more expensive option: ALWAYS WAIT UNTIL LAUNCH. ;) It's $36 at Fry's on Thursday. Circuit City will probably have a huge deal on it in less than a month (next week? THIS week? I'd better check!). So far, all Steam games except HL2 had huge discounts within a month at CC.

CZroe on
    edited October 2007
    Oh - if anyone is awesome enough to let me have HL2 - my Steam account is n8littlefield.

Thanks a crapload if someone is feeling generous!

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited October 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

Okay, sign me up for Ep1 and I'll re-gift it when/if I buy Orange Box. I already have (and beat) HL2, so I don't need that one.

I wonder if they let you gift a gift? They might flag it somehow. If you didn't pay for it, they probably don't consider it as if you bought it twice. They expressly forbid selling gifts, so I see this as likely.

The retail version has separate full-retail keys for gifts if I read correctly. That might work better if the concerns above are valid.

CZroe on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Seriously?

They're only guest passes, so they only work for like a week.

Cool, so I can make sure they work before buying them.

rayofash on
    edited October 2007

Time and time again, people keep picking the more expensive option: ALWAYS WAIT UNTIL LAUNCH. ;) It's $36 at Fry's on Thursday. Circuit City will probably have a huge deal on it in less than a month (next week? THIS week? I'd better check!). So far, all Steam games except HL2 had huge discounts within a month at CC.

None of those stores existing within 1,000 miles of me.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited October 2007

Outpost.com
    CircuitCity.com

CZroe on
    edited October 2007
    I guess all the free HL2 and EP1s ran out.

Damn. :(

Magus` on
    edited October 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

I wonder if they let you gift a gift? They might flag it somehow. If you didn't pay for it, they probably don't consider it as if you bought it twice. They expressly forbid selling gifts, so I see this as likely.

Nonono, it works like this (as near as I can tell): you buy Orange Box. If you already have HL2 and/or Ep1 on your Steam Account, it will let you gift those games. So if somebody gives me Ep1 and I install it, and later I buy Orange Box, I should be able to gift out my new copy of Ep1.

Unless I'm somehow mistaken, which is possible. I don't work for Valve or anything, (and if I did I would have figured out how to tie every game to my account by now anyway ;-) )

Daedalus on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ok my HL2 is gone as well to Drovek's friend. So you can remove me, and Drovek for his hl2 request and Overlord for his episode 1 request.

Gear Girl on
    edited October 2007

The thread is still a bit young, and a lot of people are picking it up at retail so they don't have their gifts yet (or at least that's how I understand it).

There's a ton of cool stuff on Steam - I've never installed it - my paycheck had better watch out!!!

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited October 2007

Outpost.com
    CircuitCity.com

And wait three days for overnight shipping, which'll cost 10 bucks? I'll just go with Steam, thank you.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited October 2007

The thread is still a bit young, and a lot of people are picking it up at retail so they don't have their gifts yet (or at least that's how I understand it).

There's a ton of cool stuff on Steam - I've never installed it - my paycheck had better watch out!!!

Fair enough. I hope I can score, though.

So to speak.

Magus` on
    edited October 2007

Outpost.com
    CircuitCity.com

And wait three days for overnight shipping, which'll cost 10 bucks? I'll just go with Steam, thank you.

Every game I've ever ordered from CC has been free shipping, though sometimes there is a minimum purchase amount. When it's something like HL2 EP1 for $7.99, then yeah: minimum amount might be a problem.

Yes, the deals are better in store. Like when HL2EP1 was back under $10 and they ran their buy-1-get-1-free deal on PC games under $19.99.

CZroe on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Seriously?

Sent.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Do you need HL2 to play CS:S and DoD: S? Or are they stand-alone deals since you have to pay for them now? God I'm out of the loop. Anyway if anybody has those laying around I will take em as well, thanks.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, for those of you with both a PC and 360 copy of HL2. Anybody want to give this poor sucker the 360 copy?

Gorilla Salad on
    edited October 2007
    Pretty sure no one has a 360 copy of HL2 yet.

Magus` on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pretty sure no one has a 360 copy of HL2 yet.
    I know. Man, I need a job.

AGE FASTER, DAMN IT!

Gorilla Salad on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Want: Episode 1.
    Account: Binglesthemagiccat

Please :)

Rizzi on