As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dying Light] Mirror's Edge / Dead Island : Will It Blend? 10+ minutes of gameplay

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    gonna wait for GM200 to hit before i buy this.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/23/7877039/dying-light-release-date-free-dlc

So the multiplayer which was advertised as pre order only will now be free for all, hooray!!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I certainly like the notion of Dying Light, but between that horrific preorder torso stupidity, the way Dead Island starts to unravel pretty terribly after a little while, and how incredibly badly Dead Island was optimized, I think I'm definitely gonna have to wait on this one.

I feel like this is a group of folks with some solid ideas, but with the potential for really bad judgement/management. Hopefully this will earn them a reputation for making something pretty solid.

• Options
    Well one thing I like in this it seems they are taking the Walking Dead thing of noise attracts walkers. So hopefully that means they made guns stronger, but have the weakness of making noise so you get zomboned.

I mean dead islands melee combat was aces, but the shooting was some of the worst I've ever experienced. The Parkour helps the other aspect of dead island that sucked in that movement over objects was horrible.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean dead islands melee combat was aces, but the shooting was some of the worst I've ever experienced. The Parkour helps the other aspect of dead island that sucked in that movement over objects was horrible.

They did say they didn;t really bother with perfecting the shooting in it because they wanted the focus to be on the melee.

of course, that doesn't explain why you can't fall over without landing in a pile of guns by act 4.

• Options
    I wouldn't have had an issue with the shooting sucking in Dead Island if they didn't force you into shooting sections against human enemies. It's like "Hey guns suck don't use them." And then "Hey enemies at a distance you can only shoot, so hope you brought some guns!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/23/7877039/dying-light-release-date-free-dlc

So the multiplayer which was advertised as pre order only will now be free for all, hooray!!
    It was killing their community goodwill. Glad they reversed course on that.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Well to be fair the preorder thing was announced back in 2013. So I can write it off as something that was thought to be a cool bonus back in 2013 would be considered more of a mandatory thing 2015.

Also from the sounds of the multi, it sounds a lot like how invasions worked in watch dogs, that should be pretty cool, hopefully I can bro op on the xbone and we can avoid night time zombo incursions.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was gonna object to the MP DLC thing, but when I read up on it, it turns out the publisher made the claim that it would be DLC, not the dev. And that was a while back, as well.

So really, it sounds to me more like the devs were simply clarifying that the MP component wouldn't be DLC, as opposed to the MP component changing from free to paid DLC.

Because let's be honest, charging people to have the MP part of a game would be pretty outrageous, after you've just asked them to fork over 60 bucks.

• Options
    Towards the later life of the 360 there were plenty of games that gave you multi for "free" if you bought new but you had to buy it if you bought used. I don't think that made the jump to next gen thank christ.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    This didn't get answered on the last page - why does Dead Island keep coming up? I thought the company that made that game was Deep Silver? And they are making Dead Island 2. Wouldn't whoever is making this game be a completely different team? Dead Island was fun with a lot of flaws, but other than the open world comparison, I don't really see why it keeps coming up.

• Options
    I think its because both games are being sold by techland? And obviously because its a first person zombo game where the focus is on melee combat, dead island is the only other game that had that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    same dev team, divergent projects. dead island 2 is the lighter-hearted game, focused on wacky fun

dying light is the serious one

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    I admit I hadn't even heard about Dead Island 2. Still getting this on tuesday I'll report my findings, and I'll probably try and start out ganking people because its best to get people when they are noob and not ready for it... Err I mean I want to give them the experience of unique game play early...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    same dev team, divergent projects. dead island 2 is the lighter-hearted game, focused on wacky fun

dying light is the serious one

Dying Light is the team behind Dead Island. Dead Island 2 is Yager games, which is a new team.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I know extremely little about this game, but for some reason I have an intense desire to grab it on release day.

Part of me wants to buy it sight unseen, without any knowledge of reviews or gameplay, and do a LP on it.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    13thLegion13thLegion Registered User regular
    So I just bought it and the season pass... I've been burned on all this preordering business in the past but the game looks extremely polished and I loved the dead island setup. I can't help but feel like I'm just a fool for doing it though...

Spoiler for image size...
    qrCCuex.jpg?1

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Sales of this game will receive an enormous boost from the realization that the entire American Northeast is going to be buried in snow on Tuesday.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I hope this game is good, as it's pretty close to a dream game for me. But I just can't bring myself to preorder, gonna have to wait for some impressions before I commit.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular

Total Biscuit is playing it right now. It looks like you can adjust the FOV and turn off head bob. Two options missing from dead island that made me sick.

• Options
    Good launch trailer showing crazily enough gameplay.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Lack of reviews for this game worry me. Here is hoping it's good.

I need to wait until it's on sale anyway so I will live vicariously through this thread.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Good launch trailer showing crazily enough gameplay.
    I've seen enough. I no longer need to play it.

:3

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Ugh, I'm so hyped for this. The Dead Island games were two of my faves of the PS3 gen. If this is as good as it is in my head...

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Coop dead island was the most fun, just driving around collecting fuel and fly kicking zombies, best zombie experience in a while. I hope the coop is the same and you can play the campaign coop, it looks a little more involved this time so I'm not sure.

• Options
    I'd be shocked if its not the same co-op of dead island, that was the best part of that, drop in drop out action.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Soooo I don't have work tomorrow because of the snow.

Thinking of downloading this digitally because it'll be available at midnight.

The only thing that kind of bugs me is the price tag for the digital is 80 bucks, and now I'm seeing the zombie mode is free-for-all regardless. Isn't part of what I'm paying for (besides the edition content) the zombie mode?

I will have to ponder.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I don't believe it. Best Buy completely sold out of this game. Have 20 bucks in rewards to use too. Might just use it on The Order.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Uggghhhhh. I have all-day training tomorrow in a classroom with virtual machines and no internet access outside of their carefully controlled web-exercise pages.

I won't be able to keep an eye on this thread to see people's day 1 reactions.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    @Lucascraft‌ I got the digi release. If I remember I'll post some first impressions before bed.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »

Total Biscuit is playing it right now. It looks like you can adjust the FOV and turn off head bob. Two options missing from dead island that made me sick.

The PC version looks to be pretty good, though he's been reporting that the FPS... cut in half for some reason after a patch. He's gone through every attempt to remedy the issue on his end possible, but it must have been something that flipped the wrong switch and reduced performance. I doubt it'll stick for release, as a lot of streamers who had access to the game have had the same issue.

I'm REALLY interested in getting this, especially seeing as GreenManGaming has a code for it...: HYEHZ0-GNKD1A-GFNGMQ which puts it at 25% off. Same price as if you bought into a 4-pack. Question is, will that still work after the reviews are out eh? That's the scummy side of the deals with GMG sometimes, the codes disappear when the game releases.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Lack of reviews for this game worry me. Here is hoping it's good.

I need to wait until it's on sale anyway so I will live vicariously through this thread.

There is a reason there is a lack of reviews for Dying Light, reviewers are apparently only getting copies 12 hours or so before release. The only people who have played it are apparently some YouTubers and it isn't clear to me if it's one of those deals where people can't say any negative/show the game in a bad light while not saying that is what they are being paid to do deals.

I was really excited to play this game but now I am skeptical as fuck. It's super skeevy sounding and the last game I didn't buy because of a company doing shenanigans like this was Assassin's Creed: Unity. A decision to avoid I don't regret.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Warner Brothers seems to be making a bad habit of this, they did it with Shadow of Mordor as well and that game turned out to be rad as fuck.

@Aegeri‌ I'm not sure whether you like him as a "reviewer" or not, but TotalBiscuit's words over twitter were: "I don't know why review code was held back, but it isn't because Dying Light is a bad game." People can say TB is an asshole or whatever, but if there is one thing he will never do it is try to suggest a game is good when it isn't.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, I have absolutely no confidence in a thing TB writes anymore.

I'll wait for reviewers that I respect to actually weigh in on the issue, but you are definitely right about Shadows of Mordor. That game had a similar scheme of giving YouTubers it early (but only allowing them to say nice things), but the game turned out to be fucking awesome and has one of the best gameplay systems that I hope everyone steals (Nemesis system). In fairness, I've played Dying Light myself and what I played was incredibly awesome, but I am just very skeptical now of any game that is hidden from reviewers after AC:U.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Yeah, I have absolutely no confidence in a thing TB writes anymore.

I'll wait for reviewers that I respect to actually weigh in on the issue, but you are definitely right about Shadows of Mordor. That game had a similar scheme of giving YouTubers it early (but only allowing them to say nice things), but the game turned out to be fucking awesome and has one of the best gameplay systems that I hope everyone steals (Nemesis system). In fairness, I've played Dying Light myself and what I played was incredibly awesome, but I am just very skeptical now of any game that is hidden from reviewers after AC:U.

Why?

• Options
    I'm kind of confused about that as well. As I said in my post, some people just don't like him. But despite this he's done nothing but have integrity, and even when he suspects that he might have become biased he calls himself out on it like with Planetside 2 for instance and the variety of games he's played for Polaris/TGS promotions.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    People love to have strong opinions about famous people in the gaming journalism industry.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Arthil wrote: »
    Cabezone wrote: »

The PC version looks to be pretty good, though he's been reporting that the FPS... cut in half for some reason after a patch. He's gone through every attempt to remedy the issue on his end possible, but it must have been something that flipped the wrong switch and reduced performance. I doubt it'll stick for release, as a lot of streamers who had access to the game have had the same issue.

I'm REALLY interested in getting this, especially seeing as GreenManGaming has a code for it...: HYEHZ0-GNKD1A-GFNGMQ which puts it at 25% off. Same price as if you bought into a 4-pack. Question is, will that still work after the reviews are out eh? That's the scummy side of the deals with GMG sometimes, the codes disappear when the game releases.

Fucking hell, why do people do this to me? I was all set to make a stand based on reasonable concerns.

Ah well. For all of Dead Island's considerable shortcomings, I still played it quite an assload. I was probably just going to wait until enough of a sale to knock the next-gen tax off the cost of the game anyway.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the 25% discount code, that's a pretty hefty one for a new game. :P

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    If you liked Dead Island 1 and 2, you'll probably like this and it's worth getting on gmg for $45. If you've never played Dead Island, probably best for you to read some reviews and check out some gameplay. This is where Twitch (and steams new broadcast feature) shines imo... you can just sit there and watch other people play it, get feedback from them on the game by asking questions, and form your own opinion on the game instead of reading a review.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?