As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Things that make your brain tingle [ASMR/ oddly satisfying/ relaxing stuff] thread

124»

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    beavotron wrote: »
    It makes me so happy when I introduce asmr to someone who has had it their whole life but didn't know it was a thing

My boss actually introduced me to it by telling me about the npr he had heard on the way to work. I just started freaking out about it because it is honestly the greatest feeling.

@bowtiedseal‌ I told Arden this already but go to the asmr subreddit
    http://www.reddit.com/r/asmr
    It's a massive community and it's organized by trigger type
    It'll help you find your specific triggers

Thanks! My mind is a little blown right now, I seriously thought everyone experienced this!

• HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I watched some of the those videos. They strike me as bizarre and kind of grating. Certainly not fun in the brain.

I'm certain this experience takes a particular mindset. An openness to it. And the idea of these hack the brain videos makes me uncomfortable, not the best for the experience.

Like I said before, music that I feel I've really understood what they were expressing is the only thing that gives me this sort of feeling.

I dunno, it doesn't seem like something you can learn to feel. At least I've never heard of anyone doing that.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I watched some of the those videos. They strike me as bizarre and kind of grating. Certainly not fun in the brain.

I'm certain this experience takes a particular mindset. An openness to it. And the idea of these hack the brain videos makes me uncomfortable, not the best for the experience.

Like I said before, music that I feel I've really understood what they were expressing is the only thing that gives me this sort of feeling.

I dunno, it doesn't seem like something you can learn to feel. At least I've never heard of anyone doing that.

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying here. Learned isn't exactly the correct...er... idea behind it.

Like many altered states of consiousness there must be a willingness and an openness to the experience.

Hypnosis, trance states, ecstatic prayer. You wouldn't say someone "learned" how to do those things exactly. More like someone opened them self to the experience and embraced it willingly.

Like I said previously, I've experienced the feeling described here, with music. Always with music I felt I understood the complete meaning of. But in these cases I was open to it. I wanted to understand, and I wanted to feel understood myself. I wanted to feel that connection to the music and in a cosmic sense a connection to someone else.

It was certainly a feeling I sought and sort of understand. But have I learned how to do it? No.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Please send all your head touchers my way.

Seriously, I'm like a freaking dog.

I've struggled with insomnia from the age of 12 or so.

This is the only thing that is guaranteed to put me to sleep.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm into this stuff, and while I don't get the tingles much now (I think the aforementioned tolerance has spiked up on my end), the videos themselves are still really relaxing so it still helps me get to sleep.

sig.gif
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I just remembered that Tibetan singing bowls give me head tingles. I want one.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I tried one of the videos in the op, I can sort of feel something but it doesn't seem nearly as strong as what some people are describing

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I just remembered that Tibetan singing bowls give me head tingles. I want one.

You can get them in various sizes and prices on Amazon although you probably have to do some research to get a decent one

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I love to watch videos of peat cutting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufwvFOXUCnc

Skip to about 2:10

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I love to watch videos of peat cutting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufwvFOXUCnc

Skip to about 2:10

It doesn't give me head tingles but I was just thinking to myself how satisfying it is to dig in games like minecraft and watch the pit get slowly bigger.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I think it would be interesting to compile a list of the most common triggers people have.
    What are fairly normal ones? What are some of yours that are completely unique?

I know that creaking leather is one of mine, and that seems to be one of the more common ones.

The most powerful tingles I get are from voiced clicking sounds (people going "tsk, tsk" or clucking their tongue, for examples).

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Accents and unusual speech patterns. I love hearing The French Whisperer refer to the past as "the antiquity" and saying "two thousand years before Christ" rather than "two thousand B.C./B.C.E."

Softly brushing hands over a texture, especially a mutilayered one like beads or chain.

Wet mouth noises. Lip smacks, tongue movement while pronouncing words, and quiet eating and drinking sounds.

Running water and rain noises. Rivers, oceans, and rain storms put me right out.

I can get triggered by visual stimuli as well but the audio component is critical.

TankHammer on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't really get the tingles, but i have developed a deep appreciation for the way some asmr videos can put me to sleep with a quickness. I've often had trouble with nighttime anxieties and stuff keeping me awake, and it turns out that listening to someone talk in a pleasant low tone about whatever really helps. Heather Feather's probably the best I've found so far. Fairy Char is pretty alright too.

pages late but GentleWhispering knocks me RIGHT THE FUCK OUT

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Falx wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/geLtFCxDs40

I'm pretty sure this is the video that kicked off the ASMR interest of today.

I've seen this video show up before as an ASMR trigger

and to me it is probably one of the most stressful videos on the internet. The car horns and the crazy, entirely treble terrible quality music, and the weird dude doing insane nonsense on the guy's head

I get supremely yucked out and want to leave

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I've never experienced ASMR, but I'm really not surprised it's a thing.

There is solid scientific evidence that a decent amount of the population reflexively sneezes when exposed to bright sunlight. If I can believe that then I can believe certain triggers make people tingle.

Anyway the most relaxing, calming, satisfying things I get into on the internet are long, beautifully shot and edited videos of craftsmen or artists making things with music in the background and no talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64389P8_r78

Carl Sagan's voice makes me feel warm and comfortable and relaxed. Sagan's voice is the audio equivalent of a comfy arm chair and a mug of hot chocolate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY59wZdCDo0

Also this mother fucker right here was my mental reset trigger for 10 years or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfSH1ezevjM

#pipe on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    There is solid scientific evidence that a decent amount of the population reflexively sneezes when exposed to bright sunlight.

hey, I do that!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    There is solid scientific evidence that a decent amount of the population reflexively sneezes when exposed to bright sunlight.

hey, I do that!

Me too.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    rex (my son) seems to do that a lot, but i'm more inclined to believe it's a physical change in the nasal area related to squinting than some kind of deep psychological mystery

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    That's called a photic sneeze reflex, and it featured prominently in an episode of Pete & Pete, back in the day

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    That's called a photic

woah pooro try and keep it PG-13