As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Official 2015 Challenge Coin Thread] Coin Orders close March 8th.

• mindflare77mindflare77 OhioRegistered User regular
    Just donated to GoFundMe! Not a ton, because unemployment sucks, but I hope it helps.

8BFpSWC.png

PSN/Steam: mindflare77
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Being unemployed stinks, I hope you find something good soon. (or not too soon, depending how quickly you want to start toiling away again.)
    That was actually the highest donation behind the leftover funding from last years Die.
    Thank you!

• Thunderous_TThunderous_T Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Coins ordered, thanks a ton for you all your work and the quick turn-around :hydra:

Prime 2017: Tickets soon please...
  • miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    I've yet to actually buy any of the Challenge coins but they look real nice this year. May pick one up. This along with the stein and hopefully the Community Lapel Pin will be nice to add to my collection of community items :)

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    I picked up two, because there's always someone who misses the window. Thanks for the quick turnaround, y'all, and if you are that person who missed out, send me a PM!

edited January 2015
    ilta wrote: »
    I picked up two, because there's always someone who misses the window. Thanks for the quick turnaround, y'all, and if you are that person who missed out, send me a PM!
    They're going to keep the order page up until the last day of East, which (I think?) means they print off however many more are ordered up to that point for a second run. (I saw many mentions of second print runs in last years thread, I'm mostly sure this is how it works, anyone who knows different, please feel free to correct me.)

edit: quoted the post I was replying to to add clarity to my post.

SutibunRi on
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    They're going to keep the order page up until the last day of East, which (I think?) means they print off however many more are ordered up to that point for a second run. (I saw many mentions of second print runs in last years thread, I'm mostly sure this is how it works, anyone who knows different, please feel free to correct me.)

Wait this makes me fuzzy. So is it too late to order, without being in a second print? I remember reading in last years thread that the second print wasn't guaranteed to happen or something like that.

weZXr66.png
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    edited January 2015
    miker525 wrote: »

Wait this makes me fuzzy. So is it too late to order, without being in a second print? I remember reading in last years thread that the second print wasn't guaranteed to happen or something like that.

We should still be in the first batch right now. I've yet to be told that they've actually printed, or see pictures of the actual coins rather than just the samples.

Edit:
    I'd been replying to iltas post, I just didn't quote him. (I also hadn't quoted your post in this at first, so that was fixed to clarify.)
    I had meant to clear up that we don't have to worry about people unable to buy their own coins for at least another month and a half.

Edit 2 - Edit Harder: It should not be too late to order coins from the upcoming first batch.

SutibunRi on
    I've updating the goal on the GoFundMe after receiving my credit card bill, seeing the actual conversion rate charged, and calculating a rough estimate of the fees GoFundMe charges.
    I rounded the additional costs down to the nearest $10 mark*, which was $40 more than my initial estimate.

*though, now that I look at the goal, and the % charged.. meh, okay, I rounded down to the nearest $20 mark.

miker525 wrote: »

We should still be in the first batch right now. I've yet to be told that they've actually printed, or see pictures of the actual coins rather than just the samples.

Edit:
    I'd been replying to iltas post, I just didn't quote him. (I also hadn't quoted your post in this at first, so that was fixed to clarify.)
    I had meant to clear up that we don't have to worry about people unable to buy their own coins for at least another month and a half.

Edit 2 - Edit Harder: It should not be too late to order coins from the upcoming first batch.

Well if they'll keep printing them through the convention, maybe I'll call them up and increase my order so I can give one to my fellow panelists as a memento.

edited January 2015
    It's Q&A Time!
    Q: Are you able to tell me when people need to order by to get their coins before March 5th?
    A: We have 300+ coins being made already and those should be in and out the door long before March 5th. For those who order after the 1st run of 300+coins is made those orders will be part of the second run which will be made after orders permanently close on the last Day of PAX East.

Q: How many coins have currently been ordered?
    A: 59 orders have been placed thus far and approx. 200 coins have been ordered to date.

Q: And if there are more orders than just the 300 printed in the initial batch, will you be doing a second run after the order page closes in March to handle the extras?
    A: All orders placed before the ordering is closed and shut down permanently will be made, shipped, and fulfilled. If the order is never placed and paid for….then the person making that order will not receive coins.

Which sounds to me to mean:
    1. Just order coins, the cutoff for getting them before East is "whenever the last of the first batch sells out"
    2. About 40 people who signed up in the spreadsheet haven't ordered coins yet.
    3. Anyone who orders coins by the last day of East will get a coin.

I'm going to be getting the word out a bit more widely via twitter and such on Monday (After South is over, and we won't be confusing people during their last 3 days to get South Challenge Coins.)
    I wanted to give the people who took the time to express interest in the coins early a fair shot at being in the initial run of coins, so that they can get them before East without a sudden deluge of orders from people who hadn't even known about the coins.

SutibunRi on
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Yay, got mine on order. Good job getting the designs together early this year, looks great.

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    quick question, sorry if it's already been answered and I missed it.
    Is there a way for non-internationals, like myself, to pick up at Pax to save on shipping?
    I'm going on a tight budget this year but really want one of these. It's hard to rationalize paying more than half the cost of the coin for shipping though....

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
    quick question, sorry if it's already been answered and I missed it.
    Is there a way for non-internationals, like myself, to pick up at Pax to save on shipping?
    That's actually not been asked/answered yet.
    We pay a premium to Phoenix so that they mail out the coins and we can avoid distributing them at PAX.

My only suggestion is to find someone else who wants coins and combine your orders, the shipping cost does not seem to scale per coin.
    @vttym might be willing to help you out too, I'm not sure how he's working with people for international stuff, he might either be increasing his order size, or just having them enter his shipping information. In the case of the former, the savings on shipping would be immense, in the latter case.. probably no savings at all.

I would order extras to distribute myself, but I'm international, so my shipping cost is 8x higher than domestic shipping, so there are no savings to be found with me.

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Ok, cool. Thanks for the info.

Anybody looking to share their order for pickup at pax?

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    As @SutibunRi has suggested, I am helping those who are international with orders. I've been providing a shipping address and letting folks order on their own. I would be happy to continue to help act as a delivery point.

The first run of coins has arrived at PCC, and they're breaking down the order for shipping.
    With a blizzard announced overnight, coins are expected to begin shipping at the end of the week.
    So, I guess the end of the week/whenever the last of the first run is sold (whichever is later), is your cutoff date to get your coins before PAX East.
    Pictures of some coins from the first run.
    6kj6ctwnh97x.jpg
    rhnsx3aqud6b.jpg
    v29e5gjxb2ko.jpg
    lqjk7r5ckj3h.jpg

I'll also just leave this progress bar from the Die Costs GoFundMe here.
    tfpoevhu41e2.png

• sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    As a side note...this has been nagging at me...(and yes I know the coins are already done, I ordered some. Just adding commentary). Warning pedantry ahead:

A long while ago, we talked about putting a "5year" (or a "V") on the coin. I think the general consensus was that it was the 6th year of East, so the 5 was wrong, and it was removed (among other design considerations).

However...PAX East has been "alive" for 5 years this year. It's PAX East's 5th Anniversary. So it's not the "5th year" of East but it is the 5th anniversary. Last year Penny Arcade had the "10 Year" pins to celebrate 10 years of PAX overall. Since it started in 2004, 2014 Prime was the 11th Prime. But the 10 year anniversary of PAX.

So it *would* have been OK to put a 5 on the coin. I know, coins are already made. And I know I am happier with how it turned out (versus having a V on it). But this was bugging me, so I thought a lot about it.

/End pedantry

sirmrej on
    edited January 2015
    Pedantry long after the time when it can affect anything is always a-ok in my book. :) Heck, I just sent a group email about a decision that had been made literally days before, and why it was a good decision for a completely other factual reason. Shockingly, no response.

ilta on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    That pedantry is precisely why I suggested removing any mention of a year altogether :)

it looks great though, and loading the 6th year is appropriate.

• SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I put my order in around 1pm EST on 1/27

The order page says it's on hold. Does that mean I am on the second batch?

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    I think you're probably still in the first batch, I've not received an email telling me that the first batch has sold out.

Finally after enough time was able to place my order. Didn't realize they only accepted Paypal. What a bummer that was getting my Paypal account back up to date. Anyways thanks again

weZXr66.png
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    @miker525 You could have used a Credit Card with Paypal without logging into an account.

@SutibunRi‌ I contacted Phoenix Coins. What fast response time. They are having issues with their API after a recent update and have been manually processing orders. Mine has changed to processing :) hopefully I get it before PAX as I grabbed 3 coins instead of the one I said I was going to get. Figured I'd get one for the two friends attending PAX with me.

Again thanks for putting this together. I would not have had the patience to do it.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    If this email I just got from the US Postal Service is any indication.
    Coins will begin their journeys soon!

me too!

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Got an email from Phoenix saying my order is complete!

OH! Since it comes up EVERY year, the air-tite capsules that will fit the coins are the X1.75 Direct fit ones found on here http://www.air-tites.com/military-challenge-coin-holders-and-collecting-supplies.htm. The little easels are pretty cool too. They work great for my collection of past challenge coins.

TopherRocks on
    edited January 2015
    If this email I just got from the US Postal Service is any indication.
    Coins will begin their journeys soon!

I got the email too .. I should have mine Thur or Fri. If I had known they where in Oxford MA I would have asked if I could go pick them up :)

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    Ordered! Very excited for the coins again this year, they looks great!

UyhWici.png
  • KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    I completely forgot about this.. just bought the 7 I committed to.. now to think of a cool way for 3 lucky ppl to win one... lol

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    my coins have arrived! priority one-day shipping too, very impressive.

pics behind the spoiler!
    j6vlmpw5n3yb.jpg

9nbvqny9pwnu.jpg

0d8jv030iirz.jpg

thanks very much @SutibunRi for taking this project on and making it happen! i can't wait to share these coins with friends!

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    did they come with the case? or was that an option? last year they didn't come with one...

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Korvas wrote: »
    did they come with the case? or was that an option? last year they didn't come with one...

yeah, each coin came in a little plastic case.i don't think it was an option you had to choose (as best i can recall), seems like it's just default. it's definitely a nice touch!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    This is strange. I ordered on day 1, and haven't even gotten a shipping email.. time to dig that out that confirmation email.. *sigh*

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    They came in that case last year. I liked the protection since I ordered a bunch but scratching off the sticker didn't go so well so I just ordered new ones after.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Man, the actual coins look fantastic! Know what would be crazy awesome? A display case with glass on both sides where you could have your coins mounted and still show both sides off.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    They came in that case last year. I liked the protection since I ordered a bunch but scratching off the sticker didn't go so well so I just ordered new ones after.

That's odd, mine were just wrapped in bubble wrap last year... I know, cause I quickly went the internet to buy a ton of holders for years to come..

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    [*] About 40 people who signed up in the spreadsheet haven't bothered to order coins yet.

Wow dude, ouch. Hopefully I'm the other one upset by your choice of words here. Omitting the word bother here would made this come across less aggressively. It's not that I "didn't bother" to order my coins, it's that I needed to wait until after south. I had events to plan, funds to allocate, got stuck in Texas because of the snow storm, etc. I was intentionally waiting. Other people in this thread also expressed they were waiting until after south to order their coins. There's a difference between planning and blowing you off.
    Rant done.

I don't think you said it that way intentionally, I do appreciate your time on this project, and I have now purchased my 5 coins.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • BlackrobeBlackrobe Registered User regular
    I just got my coin!
    dqy3YfQ.jpg
    7q3Ii9y.jpg
    mLyloId.jpg

• GoreySailorGoreySailor Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Got mine! Thanks so much!!

This discussion has been closed.