As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tickets for Dummies??

kaZombiekaZombie AlbertaRegistered User regular
Hey I tried to find a FAQ for ticket buying but I couldn't really find anything that answered my questions.

This will be mine and my friends first year trying to go down to PAX. All cons we have gone to have been on smaller scales so we have a little confusion on how to get tickets. I know they sell out really fast.

1. When do they announce tickets go on sale. I've heard that the just announce on twitter when they ARE on sale and you don't have any warning?

2. What is it done through? Is it ticketmaster?? Is it online only or can we call to buy tickets.

3. Is there a limit on how many you can buy. There are 4-6 of us going and our plan is just to get 1 person to pick up the tickets for all of us

Is there anything else I should know about buying tickets?

• brettpoolbrettpool Registered User regular
    1. What you have heard is correct. The only announcement is when they're on sale.

2. It is done through ShowClix (an account is made for you when you buy tickets), you can only buy tickets online

3. You can buy 4 full sets of passes, ie 4 4-day passes or 4-Friday, 4-Saturday, 4-Sunday, and 4-Monday passes (some people claim you can buy more by mixing 4-days and single day passes but they say 4 on the website when ordering and it's better safe than sorry since they have cancelled orders over the limit in the past)

Best way to get tickets is to follow the official PAX Twitter account and have it set up to send you a text whenever the account tweets
    Tickets generally go on sale after East anytime in April - May during this time it highly recommended to have your credit card ready at all times
    Prepare yourself for insanity, but it's a fun ride when you have company in the forums to go crazy with

Don't forget to book your hotel room the same time passes go on sale if you need one, this is done through OnPeak and will also be sent out through Twitter first, while all hotels are right near the convention center they do go insanely fast

PAX Prime 2015 [ ] Pass [ ] Hotel [ ] Flight [cool as a cucumber until after East] HYPE
    Attendee: Prime 12,13,14 East 13
  • kaZombiekaZombie AlbertaRegistered User regular
    Sorry just a couple more questions!

Is there a rough time of when they go on sale? Like generally is it at 10 am or does it vary alot?

And can you buy them online through mobile? Will it affect trying to get them vs going on a computer?

• Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    kaZombie wrote: »

Is there a rough time of when they go on sale? Like generally is it at 10 am or does it vary alot?

And can you buy them online through mobile? Will it affect trying to get them vs going on a computer?

No... It comes when it comes.

You can. The only thing affecting you is your internet speed.

One last thing... The tickets last year were tweeted by one "Robert Khoo" https://twitter.com/rkhoo

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Also come onto this forum starting about two weeks after PAX East. We will all be foaming at the mouth, repeatedly hitting F5 together trying to get badges.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    Also come onto this forum starting about two weeks after PAX East. We will all be foaming at the mouth, repeatedly hitting F5 together trying to get badges.

It truly is the most magical time of the year.
    The PAX badge waiting game is probably my favorite game to play.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular

Yes, generally they go on sale in the morning, Pacific time zone. Usually around 10am.
    Here is my spreadsheet that keeps track of the history: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AilPyWyh2FlbdGtjaG1pYjlMWENKaEdxY2dGRU95V1E&usp=sharing

This is only a history though, and they could easily change it up this year.
    Just make sure to follow twitter, that is the best way to be notified.

IhtGIyi.png
  • PotatoemanPotatoeman Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    This past year, 2014, there was a big ruckus because the sale dates were way off from past years. They kept tweeting us frequently about when they would go on sale though. If you want tickets, bottom line, follow the twitter and set up notifications on your phone. It would also help to follow Robert Khoo on twitter on top of the official pax twitter. Camp the paxprime registration site and this forum starting the week after pax east. If you want tickets, you will probably get them if you're online when they go on sale. If you're not ready when they go up, you won't be able to get them without paying out the ass, or from a third party.

Potatoeman on
  • pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    What @Potatoeman‌ said. Join the F5 brigade and camp the shit out of the site. last year I missed the actual sale of the tickets because I went on a company sponsored run literally the moment they went on sale. I ran for about half hour, when I returned they were all gone.

It seems like Wednesday's are your best bet (Because if I am not mistaken they go on sale on Wednesdays for the past few years) and shortly after PAX East they go on sale. I'd say anytime before a couple months after PAX East.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
    I will make a mental note to not work wens mornings right after pax east haha

When does the site pop up so we can camp it? Like just shortly after east I assume?

• bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    I'm wondering if they will even offer four day passes this year. Robert did say they were still offering them mainly out of nostalgia/momentum. Might this be the year they decide to drop them?

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • JazzyJazzy Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Oh man, just realised that 10am Seattle time is 5am Aussie time :/

Moon Wizard.
    Dude that is brutal. I am happy I am only 1 time zone over.

• JazzyJazzy Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    BRB setting my phone on full volume overnight for several months so I hear the alert :P

Moon Wizard.
  • Spud387Spud387 Man of Inaction Vancouver, BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    What's going to be interesting this year is when the tickets go on sale and how long it takes for them to sell out.

With no LoL Regionals at PAX, will we see less demand? I don't think so, but it'll be interesting to see as so many people complained that LoL hurt the availability of tickets.

The other thing is the date tickets go on sale. They usually go on sale 1 month after PAX East, but last year they went on sale in the end of May. With PAX East being in early March this year we technically have a period of 2 months where the tickets could go on sale :s

Spud387 on
    Prime 2016 Status: Skipping. 2017, The Return.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010/'11/'12/'13/'14
    Spud387 wrote: »
    With PAX East being in early March this year we technically have a period of 2 months where the tickets could go on sale :s

NNOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously, it's going to be a potentially trying wait this year.

Do tickets ever go on sale during the weekend? Will I be safe to sleep in then D:

Do tickets ever go on sale during the weekend? Will I be safe to sleep in then D:

There is a sheet that @SkeleVader did of all the times. I don't remember from that sheet them ever going on sale on the weekend.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    They have never gone on sale on the weekend, but that does not mean they won't in the future.
    Here is the spreadsheet.

No time is safe to sleep. Make sure you always have a back up plan.

IhtGIyi.png
  • JulieLJulieL Pacific NorthwestRegistered User regular
    I swear haunting the PAX registration site, twitter, etc waiting for badges to go on sale makes spring the most stressful time of year for me.

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Thank you guys so much for all the comments, spreadsheets and tips. I'm aiming to try and go to Prime this year and all of the advice provided in this thread is super helpful.

Are tickets refundable? At if so roughly up to what time?

• JasonGreveJasonGreve Gamer Registered User regular
    Are tickets refundable? At if so roughly up to what time?

No, tickets are not refundable.

• KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    This is going to be my first year gunning for Prime instead of East and I am insanely nervous. My two East's I was extremely lucky because 1 year I was unemployed and the other I happened to be on vacation at the time of sale at a friend's house and was able to jump on easily. This year I'll be at work... I really hope they announce the date of sale or give some sort of hint because it would really cut down on my anxiety!

• BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    New to the PAX scene, and I was wondering if there were any tricks or tips on how to either get or increase your chances of getting tickets. I've heard rumors that they literally sell-out in a single day...how true is this?

mod edit: fixed by merging ;)

zerzhul on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Prime tickets sell out within a couple hours

New to the PAX scene, and I was wondering if there were any tricks or tips on how to either get or increase your chances of getting tickets. I've heard rumors that they literally sell-out in a single day...how true is this?

Best tip: be online ALL THE TIME. Otherwise come hang out with the F5 club around here. ;)

Best tip: be online ALL THE TIME. Otherwise come hang out with the F5 club around here. ;)
    Oh when's the first meeting? (When is it best to start? Above they say the week after Pax East but do they mean a literal 7 days or starting the Monday after Pax east? Also set up text tweets to my phone and have the PAX page always open on my phone to check, anything else to recommend doing?)

edited March 2015
    When is it best to start?

You already have.

jamsyarbots on
  • natedawg3124natedawg3124 Registered User new member
    Most years the site will update with this years information before the passes go on sale, but this can be as late as the night before. You can tell this by the date at the top of the screen will be for 2015, not 2014 as it is right now, and the badge availability will say soon instead of sold out, it will be in grey instead of red like it is right now. I am personally waiting for that to happen before I camp the site for passes.

Just thought of an oddly specific question. The page you need to refresh is it the page where they show all of the PAXs or do you do so in the actual PAX Prime page?

Just thought of an oddly specific question. The page you need to refresh is it the page where they show all of the PAXs or do you do so in the actual PAX Prime page?

The actual PAX Prime page.

The actual PAX Prime page.

I'd take that one step further and say the actual registration page :P http://prime.paxsite.com/registration

^^ Shown up again but yes what he said. ;)

• Spud387Spud387 Man of Inaction Vancouver, BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I generally wait until one week after PAX East ends. Then I visit the site twice a day (morning & afternoon) to see if any information is updated to the current year. Once that happens page is open in a browser almost all day while I am at work and I keep an eye out for more info.

However, they are getting better at releasing tickets right when the tweet goes out so I mostly rely on the tweet for getting tickets. Everything else just helps ensure I am available to respond to that tweet.

Prime 2016 Status: Skipping. 2017, The Return.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010/'11/'12/'13/'14
    Thank you so much for the info and help!

I'll do you a solid.

If you don't browse with Chrome already, go ahead and get that installed.

Next, search for an extension called Refresh Monkey; go ahead and get that installed.

When you think its crunch time, set the extension to refresh the Registration page every 30 seconds. Leave that page open, and do nothing else until you procure tickets.

#SUCCESS!

JasonGreve wrote: »

I'll do you a solid.

Next, search for an extension called Refresh Monkey; go ahead and get that installed.

When you think its crunch time, set the extension to refresh the Registration page every 30 seconds. Leave that page open, and do nothing else until you procure tickets.

#SUCCESS!

Again thank you. Actually I just thought of one more question. Sorry for spamming them ^ ^;

Does the PAX registration system work properly on a mobile versus a desktop? Like have issues been reported in the past? Cause due to time differences I'll most likely be in class when they open it so I'll have to use my mobile to have a chance.

JasonGreve wrote: »

I'll do you a solid.

#SUCCESS!

This right here. I had a script running that checked the site every 15 seconds for changes.

I installed refresh monkey but how exactly does it work? How will I be alerted when a page changes.

• deathurgeoverdrivedeathurgeoverdrive Registered User new member
    wow thank you all for this great info. i came here looking exactly this information because we desperately need tickets for this years pax.

i have been with my girlfriend for 8 years now and we are getting married this august. we have been bonding over penny arcade for years. we talked about it on our very first date and for years talked about going to pax for our honeymoon. the fact that she loved the idea is just one more way i knew she was the one. we never had money to go before but when it's your honeymoon it's a different story but when we started looking into the tickets and found out they sold out in less then an hour last year we started to panic. we really have no other back up idea for a honeymoon since this has been our dream vacation for all these years and this info makes me feel much better about our chances about getting to go.

i will be keeping an eye on everything here and maybe we will get to see some of you guys there!

This discussion has been closed.