As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USB Car Chargers

The only knowledge I have on electricity is that if I touch it directly, it will travel throughout my body giving me and unpleasant feeling for the duration of contact.

Onto the point:

I have (or will have) a car charger with 2 USB slots within it, allowing me to charge two devices with one cigarette lighter socket.

The cover for the cigarette lighter socket is labeled "12v"

The specifications of the USB car charger with two (USB) slots are -
"Input Voltage: DC12-16V / Output Voltage & Current: 5V 1A"

The specifications for the wall charger for the cell phone that will be utilizing one of the car accessory's USB slots are -
"Input: 100-240VAC~150mA 50-60Hz / Output: 5.0VDC 850mA"

Will everything be compatible (lighter socket + USB lighter socket accessory + cell phone utilizing it for charging) together? Will my phone using that setup charge faster than with the provided wall charger? Will that setup shorten my cell phone's battery life and/or damage it?

Thank you for your help.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    The only knowledge I have on electricity is that if I touch it directly, it will travel throughout my body giving me and unpleasant feeling for the duration of contact.

Not categorically true. Grab both ends of a AA battery, doesn't do a thing.
    Will everything be compatible (lighter socket + USB lighter socket accessory + cell phone utilizing it for charging) together?

yes
    Will my phone using that setup charge faster than with the provided wall charger?

Most likely yes.
    Will that setup shorten my cell phone's battery life and/or damage it?

Not likely at all.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Will everything be compatible (lighter socket + USB lighter socket accessory + cell phone utilizing it for charging) together? Will my phone using that setup charge faster than with the provided wall charger?

Depends on the phone.

generally speaking, most phones charge off of 5V. some phones are designed for higher voltage/quicker charging but these are pretty uncommon (Note 4 has a 9V charger). both of your chargers output the standard 5V.

if you have a smartphone, it will draw between 1A and 2A. iPhones take 1A. iPads take 2A. for other devices it depends on the model, but usually the charger provided in the box is the max current the phone will draw

if you have a non-smartphone or a smartphone with a smaller battery it could be designed for less than 1A. yours is .85A so my guess is that's the max current it'll draw

on top of that, phones won't draw more current than they're designed for (again, generally). so an iPhone which draws 1A won't charge any faster on an iPad charger which is 2A. but an iPad will charge slower on an iPhone charger because it only draws 1A.

the short version is: input power doesn't matter, output power matters; the phone will only draw current it's specified for, or what the charger provides, whichever is lower.

I wouldn't worry about battery life. charge as needed. there's stuff you can do to eke out some extra battery life but it's generally more trouble than it's worth. avoid leaving it in your car for extended periods on very hot or very cold days, that's about the only thing I'd recommend to avoid shortening your battery life.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    My Galaxy S3 charges WAY faster on a 2 amp charger than a 1 amp charger. It depends entirely on the phone as to where they have set the maximum current draw for charging, but up until you hit the cutoff point, your battery will charge faster the more current your charger puts out.

No it will not damage the battery, that's why the phone manufacturers put limits on charge current.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Make sure your cables are rated the same as well.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Dont leave it in The socket overnight. It might be a faulty unit but it drained my battery.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Also..if the smartphone does not recognize the type of usb port it is plugged into it will draw at the min usb rated power spec...which will slow down charging significantly. Many chargers are designed for one or another.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    generally speaking, most phones charge off of 5V. some phones are designed for higher voltage/quicker charging but these are pretty uncommon (Note 4 has a 9V charger). both of your chargers output the standard 5V.
    The Note 4 will charge at 9V and 5V, as will a number of high end smartphones that use a Snapdragon 800-series chip. The new Moto X, Xperia Z3, Droid Turbo, HTC One M8, etc.

I imagine it'll become more common in the coming years.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru