As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] Bring Your Own Book (Bring Your Own Forumer edition)

Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.hisHistory-loving pal!Registered User regular
Bring Your Own Book (bringyourownbook.com) is a game that appeared in the Indie Boardgame Showcase at PAX South 2015. There are free-to-print rules and cards on that page, as well as options to pre-order the full game through a method I cannot directly link on the forums. It is basically Apples to Apples (or, depending on what books people bring, Cards Against Humanity), except instead of hundred and hundreds of cards to keep track of, everyone just brings their own book.

Generally, one player is the judge. That player draws a prompt card and reads it out loud. It might be something like, "A password to open a secret door." Everyone else needs to find a word or series of sequential words from their book to take out of context. Judge declares the round's winner, and a new player becomes the judge. It sounded like a fun idea to try on the forums, but with a slight twist.

Who can play?
I'm going to reserve spaces for anyone who was at the first PAX South Fancy Dinner (or anyone that we talked to after the Omegathon) who is interested in playing. If we end up with fewer than 6 players, I'll open it up until we get that many. Excited to see how this turns out? Great! There are two other ways to be involved in this game.

Bring Your Own Forumer edition?
If you're playing, you'll need to select a fellow forumer to be your 'book.' You may select another player (I would recommend against me, as I have a super small post count), or you can look beyond this thread for inspiration. It would be polite to ask before you start taking posts out of context. This is one way to be involved in the game without being a player.

How will we play?
Every day I will post a new prompt. Your job, sometime throughout that day, is to find a word or phrase from your forumer that would fit the prompt. If you're pressed for time, I would recommend looking through that forumer's Awesome or Agree archive instead of their entire post history.
What is acceptable to post: Just about anything your forumer has posted. This does not include times they have quoted articles or other forumers - your forumer must have written this themselves. Your submission can be just about any length, but it must be from one post, and all the words you use must be kept in order.
What is probably not acceptable to post: Anything that breaks the Golden Edict is definitely not acceptable to post. If that forumer got infracted for the post, it's probably not a good idea to grab from it.
The game will update at (or around) 10pm CST (that's GMT -6:00). With each update, submissions for that day's round are locked. I will post the next prompt. I will then score the previous day's round and declare the round's winner. I plan on ending the game two weeks after we start, though that could change due to many factors.

Scoring?
This is where the entire forum can get involved. Each round's winner will be determined by the amount of Agrees their submission receives. Awesomes can be doled out as you'd like, it will not affect the score. Anyone and everyone with an account can vote each round, even the players. I will tally up the Agrees on each submission the next day at 10pm to find the round's winner. Most wins before the game ends wins the game!

If you were at the PAX South Fancy Dinner (or at our brief round table discussion after the Omegathon), feel free to !signup below. Once we have enough people to get started and everyone has picked their book forumer, I'll post the first prompt.

SrUxdlb.jpg

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'll do this thing

!signup

And I pick Tube as my forumer

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If, for whatever reason, Tube has a problem with me taking his posts out of context, then I call Darth Waiter

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I for one vote we have a day of lag time for the votes, so everyone has a minimum of a day to see the posts from the players before the voting is locked.

Also signing up, but I'm on mobile so pretend it's bbcoded. I'll choose a forumer when I get home from work tomorrow afternoon.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    You're right, I had meant to put that. So you guys will submit round 1 at 10pm one night, then voting for Round 1 will close at 10 pm the next night.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    !signup

I feel like the obvious pick is @surrealitycheck

• Options
    I think I'll use Bizarro Stormy
    I am not using Bizarro Stormy

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Dang, spool with the steal on that one.

Okay, lighting up the bat-signal for people I can remember being at the dinner in case anyone is interested:
    @Belasco32‌ @ChelleYeah‌ @Ludious‌ @redx @Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud‌ and ... I know I'm forgetting a few people. Sorry, I am terrible at names. If someone here knows of someone that needs an @, go ahead and send it up.

First prompt will be put up tomorrow evening around 10pm CST, round 1 submissions will close Friday evening at 10pm, and voting for round 1 will close Saturday at 10pm.

I will be the first judge, but I will put up an example of how to format your submissions.

If anyone can't join up until later, that's not a problem, jump in when ready.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Dang, spool with the steal on that one.

Okay, lighting up the bat-signal for people I can remember being at the dinner in case anyone is interested:
    Belasco32‌ ChelleYeah‌ Ludious‌ redx "Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud"‌ and ... I know I'm forgetting a few people. Sorry, I am terrible at names. If someone here knows of someone that needs an @, go ahead and send it up.

First prompt will be put up tomorrow evening around 10pm CST, round 1 submissions will close Friday evening at 10pm, and voting for round 1 will close Saturday at 10pm.

I will be the first judge, but I will put up an example of how to format your submissions.

If anyone can't join up until later, that's not a problem, jump in when ready.

Yaaaaay!

!signup

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Fuck you, iOS, fuck you so much for making a two word post take 5+ minutes to type

@spool32 there will never be another Apple product in thus house that we've spent our own money on, ever. Buy me a new house and maybe I'll consider discussing the issue further.

Edit...this was supposed to be in the chat thread, somehow, through the magic of Safari it ended up here, sorry >:(

Belasco32 on
  • Options
    It's funny in here, too.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    !SIGNUP

yup I'm doing this

I pick @Winky

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    !SIGNUP

yup I'm doing this

I pick Winky

Oh this will be good

• Options
    !SIGNUP

yup I'm doing this

I pick @Winky

*stabs offspring*

I'd just decided to pick him! lol! *goes back to the drawing board*

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    !SIGNUP

yup I'm doing this

I pick Winky

*stabs offspring*

I'd just decided to pick him! lol! *goes back to the drawing board*

*shrugs*

Can't help it if I'm just that popular :P

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    !Signup

I pick @_J_ because yolo

• Options
    Can I use @Ludious ?

I think I'll use Ludious

• Options
    You know what? I officially choose @Darth Waiter

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    You know what? I officially choose @Darth Waiter

You'll be banned in an hour.

Break a leg!

Literally!

• Options
    Alright, I'm going to go for @skippydumptruck as my out of context victim

• Options
    Round 1 Prompt
    A good warning to children

Round 1 submissions close at 10:00pm tomorrow (1/30), voting for round 1 closes at 10:00pm Saturday (1/31) CST

Your submission should include a quote from your forumer. There is no minimum or maximum length, but the quote must be kept in sequential order.

I will have my post momentarily, and I will be using @lonelyahava for my forumer.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    I only hurt with words but @mim lives in philly

• Options
    Round 1 Submission
    eat just about all of the non-pork things

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    I suppose mine is more of a threat than a warning...

• Options
    The best fairy tales were threats.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    what the hell....

i've been summoned?

I'm being taken out of context?

I'm a pawn in your game?!?!

You want to play games with me by using my words?

How did you find me?

Why did you find me?

(are these good lines for you @Lord Palington ?)

• Options
    They'll work just fine. As to how, I just tried to think of any forumer that loved Joe Biden more than the editorial staff of The Onion, and there you were.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Round 1 Prompt

Round 1 Submission
    Sex is never safe.

Some day you'll just be gettin' your jollies off then ...

*skreeEEEEEEEEEEeeee-ooooooooh*

Goddamned velociraptor attack.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Round 1 Prompt

if u r not a delicious golden brown, covered in crispy breading&batter i dont want nuffin to do wiv u

spool32 on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote:
    Sitting alone in my pajamas. Eating a Little Caesar's deep dish. Watching DBZ abriged.

Live the dream.

• Options
    I expect that the market for naked men is probably smaller

but I think there are handsome twitch streamers who get lots of viewers so I say yes

get naked and bend your body around for tips!

• Options
    lol, I somehow read the prompt as advice for kids instead of a warning, but I think Skippy's words can be read either way!

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Round One
    Winky wrote:
    Fair warning for anyone with a fish tank:

If you put opposite sexes of the same species in a tank, be prepared for shit to start getting all Game of Thrones in there.

• Options
    Okay, I think that's all the submissions! I'm running off very little sleep and hopped up on allergy meds, so forgive me if I missed anyone.

Round 1 voting closes tomorrow night at ten pm CST (so just about 24 hours from now). Remember, Agree is a vote, Awesome is just a pat on the back. Everyone on the forums may vote, not just the players!

The way I had originally planned, round 2 submissions start now. I will go ahead and post the prompt, but if this is too quick of a turn around and we want to do a day of submissions, a day of voting, then a day of submissions, etc, that's fine with me.

Round 2 Prompt
    The Name of a Beauty Product

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Round 2 Submission
    boobtit turdcastle

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Round 2 Submission
    Ludious wrote: »
    "Derude- Sandstorm"

• Options
    edited January 2015
    EDIT: wrong thread sorry >>

Blameless Cleric on

• Options
    wrong... thread?

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    wrong... thread?

wow yeah oops

• Options
    Okay, out and about, phone about to die. I will have our votes tallied when I get home. Might be closer to midnight CST.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Round 2 Prompt
    The Name of a Beauty Product

its... mysticjuicy

spool32 on