As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life is Strange: Episode Five Oct. 20

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    "Square is the only publisher that didn't want to change a single thing about the game," he explained. "We had other publishers telling us, 'make it a male lead character.' Square didn't even question that once."
    Uggghhhhh, gross

Thank God they didn't have to sell out

This went a long way toward my preordering this, just to support it.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So the game's up on Steam already. I'd kind of expected I'd have to wait eleven more hours.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    I can't get over how bad the lip syncing is, especially if this is story driven and they expect me to get involved with the characters.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I dunno. One of the girls has blue hair. Clearly this means Square is forcing their Japanese anime sensibilities on this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KqF9G_DQls

0:39.

I really, really liked Remember Me, dumb ending and all. Super down to give this dev more money.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    The lip syncing is indeed really terrible, to the point of "I can't believe they thought this was passable." But I still found myself enjoying this for the most part. There's obvious Twin Peaks inspirations, with the Rachel character being a pretty big Laura Palmer stand in. At times I was reminded of Bully with the whole navigating the cliques at the academy stuff. There's some goofy dialogue among the younger cast, some if it can be excused that there are obviously kids out there that talk like this, but some felt a bit forced. But again it didn't bother me too much given their age and that a lot of the characters are on the pretentious or nerdy side.

The one real sore spot aside from the lip sync is the rather clumsy way Max's time powers are established. She really gets acclimated to them very quickly. I feel like they could have eased into it more, maybe spend the episode as she learns to control it since really, aside from the opening, we don't really get much clever use out of them yet.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    The lip syncing is indeed really terrible, to the point of "I can't believe they thought this was passable." But I still found myself enjoying this for the most part. There's obvious Twin Peaks inspirations, with the Rachel character being a pretty big Laura Palmer stand in. At times I was reminded of Bully with the whole navigating the cliques at the academy stuff. There's some goofy dialogue among the younger cast, some if it can be excused that there are obviously kids out there that talk like this, but some felt a bit forced. But again it didn't bother me too much given their age and that a lot of the characters are on the pretentious or nerdy side.

The one real sore spot aside from the lip sync is the rather clumsy way Max's time powers are established. She really gets acclimated to them very quickly. I feel like they could have eased into it more, maybe spend the episode as she learns to control it since really, aside from the opening, we don't really get much clever use out of them yet.

See, I'm kind of in the opposite boat here. I felt that there were a handful of times where it really did feel "clever" to rewind events. I guess it depends on what you mean by "clever" in this context, but I didn't feel let down by anything (except for maybe the short length...but I know for damn sure I'm going to be replaying this and filling all four save slots).

Also, the lip sync thing doesn't really bother me. I mean, their lips are moving around...I've become acclimated to that being enough for me (then again, I've been playing a bunch of Grim Fandango and Fable Anniversary and Fable 3). Guess I just have lowered expectations.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Square really did influence this game's development.
    When you examine the TV in Victoria's room, Max says she thinks Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is a good movie.

Darn publisher meddling.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Corpekata wrote: »
    There's obvious Twin Peaks inspirations, with the Rachel character being a pretty big Laura Palmer stand in.
    There's a license plate later on that says "TWN PKS" or something like that. :D It's when blue-haired girl drives up with her truck in the parking lot.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I didn't notice that license plate.
    I did notice that Warren's license plate has X-FLS or something similar on it.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    The lip synching really is terrible isn't it? It's a massive shame as otherwise the game is pretty nicely polished. I'm still enjoying it up to now but it's pretty distracting.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I dont know what I could possibly be missing... been searching this house for 30 minutes looking for tiny tools. Not sure what im missing, and I cant go back upstairs...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I dont know what I could possibly be missing... been searching this house for 30 minutes looking for tiny tools. Not sure what im missing, and I cant go back upstairs...

EDIT -

Aaaand with that...woooooosh! *poof!*

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Aaaaaaand as soon as I post that, i find them.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Why the hell is there not a borderless window option!?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So I had not even heard of this game until today but I saw it was made by the Remember Me guys and I had to get it.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So hey, that was actually pretty cool.

Now to wait for these other bloody episodes. D:

• Options
    Now to wait for these other bloody episodes. D:

At least DONTNOD are committed to a set release schedule (every six weeks), so at least you won't have to live with uncertainty. You're just gonna have to wait until March.

Of course, being committed to a set release schedule and actually realizing it are two different things, but I appreciate the effort at least.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Why the hell is there not a borderless window option!?

Noticing with more games that this feature is not as common as it should be.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I watched the Giant Bomb quick look and was intrigued by the game, so I picked it up. It did not disappoint.

I love its use of music. I kind of hope it doesn't ramp up the drama too... dramatically, because I like the chill atmosphere so far. I enjoyed just walking around, exploring the school grounds and getting to know all of the characters.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    My current theory re: Rachel is
    that she was the previous wielder of Max's power. If you talk to everyone it's pretty clear like everyone liked her, and she's pretty different to everyone. She's in the Vortex club, she's Chloe's bestie (or possible girlfriend?), she's the bullied kid's muse, she hangs with the skaters, she was close with the creepy teacher to the point there was rumors he had sex with her, etc. That is a very busy social life. Which sounds a lot like what we can do as Max, rewinding time and pretending to be into skating or interested in someone's hobbies. They even say Victoria, while she didn't like her, respected her, which feels sort of like what the story path will go down with her if you comfort her after the paint scene.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    That was a pretty great episode. Moody and intriguing and it still manages to feel engaging and cinematic even after rewinding time.

I have a couple more pictures to take and more details to find, so I will definitely be replaying this episode again in March.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm with Dragkonias; Steam told me it thought I would like it and I was vaguely intrigued but put off by reports of polish issues. Now I hear it's by the guys who made Remember Me, a game with an enjoyable plot that in no way justified the amount of punching people in the face you wound up doing. If this game is basically nothing but Dontnod's writing, I ought to enjoy it.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Played through the first episode, enjoyed it pretty thoroughly, though I never played Remember Me.

This is what initially sold me on it:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/30/7953703/life-is-strange-overview-gameplay-video

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    THX-FLS. There's also graffiti at the light house that says "TRUST NO ONE."/spoiler]

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    THX-FLS. There's also graffiti at the light house that says "TRUST NO ONE."/spoiler]

Pretty much every license plate in the parking lot is a reference to a TV show, from buffy to quantum link.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    So does the rewind work like the Memory Remix from Remember Me, where you can rewind and fast forward and such, or is it just restarting a conversation like skipping back a scene.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    When you examine the TV in Victoria's room, Max says she thinks Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is a good movie.

Darn publisher meddling.

I missed commenting on this earlier.

It is a pretty decent sci-fi flick. It's a terrible Final Fantasy flick and has fuck all to do with the brand outside of superficial references, but as a stand alone sci-fi flick it was decent.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    So does the rewind work like the Memory Remix from Remember Me, where you can rewind and fast forward and such, or is it just restarting a conversation like skipping back a scene.

I didn't play Remember Me, but you can rewind at a variable speed (up to a certain point). You can also skip back in time to the last decision point, and skip forward past dialogue you have already seen.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Darn publisher meddling.

I missed commenting on this earlier.

It is a pretty decent sci-fi flick. It's a terrible Final Fantasy flick and has fuck all to do with the brand outside of superficial references, but as a stand alone sci-fi flick it was decent.

I saw the inclusion as a "thank you for letting us make the game we wanted to make".

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Maybe they just like Spirits Within.

• Options
    Finished up Episode 1 today, playing it through with my wife with her making some of the decisions and me making others. Really enjoyed it, the lip synching was off putting at first, especially given the motion capture is pretty good, but eventually I stopped noticing it.

There's been some criticism of the writing, but honestly I thought it sounded close enough to how teens talk, or at least how they're portrayed in other tv shows, my wife watches enough terrible teen TV to vouch for that.

Throughly looking forward to Episode 2, glad I bought it all.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    I finished this yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I then sat and watched a stream where someone had trouble finding the tiny tools. Seems like a relatively common problem. Probably because players aren't accustomed to looking upwards. And I guess maybe because who would keep their computer/camera(?) screwdriver kit there?

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    Hmm. It looks like the devs won't be able to stick to the promised release schedule. Shame.

Episode 2 is delayed.

• Options
    Booooooooo.

• Options
    Dammit!

This is why I both love and hate episodic games. If it's a story I'm interested in, I hate waiting! Then it's made even worse if there's a delay... bah!

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Still, if the official Twitter is to be believed, the wait shouldn't be that much longer than initially promised.

Guess I'll have to wait and see.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    At least they give some sort of timeframe to expect.

I have no idea when the next Telltale episodes are supposed to arrive.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Just played through this today, and in the consequences listing at the end, I realized how much I missed in my first playthrough.

Also,
    I like that they weren't being subtle at all with how much of a crush Warren has with you. I might have had way too much fun fucking with him (though not mean spiritedly)