As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's go, Bub!

Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/themNorth Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
edited October 2006 in Artist's Corner
So here's the thing - I'm about as amateur as you can get when it comes to art. I usually draw everything using a Bic gel pen on an A4 sketchpad, I rarely pencil first, and usually my art as suffered for it. Recently I experimented with pencilling then inking, but my gel pen doesn't like drawing over pencil, and it's been a bit of a bastard about it.

I decided, after watching Gabe's inking video, to try digital inking. The problem? I don't own a Wacom tablet, and if I use the freeland tool in Paint Shop Pro it'll look all wiggly because my mouse is arse. The solution - Lasoo Select, point-to-point.

The results, especially after I've coloured the thing, are awesome. Behold:

wolverine-sml.png
(Click the image to see the large, large, large version, which is probably going to kill anyone on a 56k modem)

Now I know there are a few problems with this, namely the hair is off-centre, the claws aren't as think as I'd like them to be, the arms are probably not anatomically correct, and various other bits and bobs. But I wasn't going for something that looked correct, rather something with the right weight behind it, and I think I achieved that. I'm quite impressed with this. So impressed that I'm willing to face the wrath of the unsatoppable juggernaught of crushing criticism this forum has become.

Criticism regarding the actual design of the character isn't important. I'm much more interested in criticism of the lineart and colouring. Let me know what you think.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
Squirminator2k on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Dont use texture filters like you did on the jeans.

Also, I'm pretty sure you'd get alot more crits if you resized this properly (500px wide). You have a tiiiiiiiiny version and a HUGE version, it's hard to get a good look at the over all image on either.

EDIT:

Oh, what the heck, I'm such a sweetheart I'll do it for you. Also, for future references, internet friendly images should be at 72dpi, not 600.

wolverine1tv2.jpg

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I like the face but the more I scroll down the less it appeals to me because it's that extremly simple. For example spots like the elbows could use a bit more work.

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Like you said, you're not looking for comments about if this thing looks ...you know... real... so i'll try not to bother you about that, even though it bothers me.

Ok, I can't help it. The elbows really bother me. They're more like balls holding the upper arms together with the forearms. Even artists ignoring general anatomy for the sake of a more cartoonish look will have elbows relatively correct.

His thumbs are bothering me too. Close your own fist, and you'll see that your thumb doesn't rest inside your fingers, but rather, it wraps around the front of your fingers. I won't say anything about the rest of the anatomy issues.

I know you're concerned about the weight of the body parts, and it's generally right, but try and think about your light source. Also, instead of having the body parts rounded, they seem more like rounded cubes. It makes the body (specifically the torso and arms) look more like flat panels.

If you're going to use darker and lighter colors to indicate shadow and brightness, as well as include lines that indicate, for instance, the clavicles, you should use your indicative color/shadows on ALL parts. That means, flesh out the clavicles. And cheekbones. And the neck. Everything, really.

paulwind on
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    1. dont use filters or gradients
    2. dont highlight with pure black or pure white.

Other than that, not as bad as most new posts here!

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, I'd agree with pretty much all of the above posts. The face starts off pretty good and then the more you scroll down, the more problem areas you see.

Anatomy, even though it is a cartoon, could use some work. Legs, arms, hands, ect. Feet look really bad though. Also your coloring is pretty boring. I know that because my coloring is always boring. It isn't bad, it is just very typical and paint by the numbers.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Christ, I've never seen deltoids larger than biceps!

Tam on
  • Options
    freekfreek Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    don't copy / paste the hands from one another.

also hairy arms but not the chest?

freek on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    paulwind wrote:
    Close your own fist, and you'll see that your thumb doesn't rest inside your fingers, but rather, it wraps around the front of your fingers.
    Um, that's an option. It may be more comfortable or natural-looking around the outside, but to imply it can't be rested inside your fingers is a little silly.
    I'm sure someone here will have a good reason why wolverine wouldn't hold his thumb inside his palm. But anatomically it's really not a problem.

tynic on
  • Options
    BelieveBelieve Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    tynic wrote:
    paulwind wrote:
    Close your own fist, and you'll see that your thumb doesn't rest inside your fingers, but rather, it wraps around the front of your fingers.
    Um, that's an option. It may be more comfortable or natural-looking around the outside, but to imply it can't be rested inside your fingers is a little silly.
    I'm sure someone here will have a good reason why wolverine wouldn't hold his thumb inside his palm. But anatomically it's really not a problem.
    Well, there IS the issue that if he punched someone with his thumb tucked under his fingers he'd probably break his thumb, but I can't actually remember the last time he punched someone rather than use his claws.

Believe on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Dont use texture filters like you did on the jeans.
    yes, very aware of that. It's not something I will be repeating, I just wanted a quick 'n' dirty way of giving it a denimy look.
    Also, I'm pretty sure you'd get alot more crits if you resized this properly (500px wide). You have a tiiiiiiiiny version and a HUGE version, it's hard to get a good look at the over all image on either.
    Good to know. Thanks.
    Ape2001 wrote:
    I like the face but the more I scroll down the less it appeals to me because it's that extremly simple. For example spots like the elbows could use a bit more work.
    PaulWind wrote:
    Ok, I can't help it...
    Anatomy, even though it is a cartoon, could use some work.
    Tam wrote:
    Christ, I've never seen deltoids larger than biceps!
    I agree with the lot of you, but this wasn't an excerise in anatomy. I was trying a new method (for me, at least) of inking a sketch. The shading stuff you mentioned, PaulWind, is good stuff and I'll be taking note of that for future work.
    1. dont use filters or gradients
    2. dont highlight with pure black or pure white.

Other than that, not as bad as most new posts here!
    Thanks!
    freek wrote:
    don't copy / paste the hands from one another.
    I didn't, although they are quite similar.
    freek wrote:
    also hairy arms but not the chest?
    Oh yes. Didn't occur to me.

Valuable stuff, this. I'm glad I posted this here. I intend to knock together a Superman image at some point which I'll be doing properly, and there's a lot of good advice here that I'll be taking onboard. Obviously.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Okay ^^' Next to the already mentioned stuff:
    Like the colouring. It adds an amount of depth that is interesting but not too persistant. Except for the shoes, they look like chocolate :P

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well that is quite obviously because he is wearing chocolate-coated boots. Obviously. Because if, er, they get stuck out in the middle of the antartic and... uh, they run out of food... erm... they could, uh, eat... Wolverine's boots.

Yeah.

That's... that's entirely it.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Well that is quite obviously because he is wearing chocolate-coated boots. Obviously. Because if, er, they get stuck out in the middle of the antartic and... uh, they run out of food... erm... they could, uh, eat... Wolverine's boots.

Yeah.

That's... that's entirely it.

Actually, it's been explained in the comics that if Wolverine is ever in a situation like that, he can actually eat his OWN flesh, and it will heal back.
    [/nerd]

paulwind on
  • Options
    Kuro HouKuro Hou Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    paulwind wrote:
    Actually, it's been explained in the comics that if Wolverine is ever in a situation like that, he can actually eat his OWN flesh, and it will heal back.
    [/nerd]

Umm...Eww. I'm a pretty big comic book geek and I've not heard this hypothetical before, though I guess it makes sense. Although I can't really think of any situation where Wolverine can't hunt anything dumber than him and eat it. On the other hand, the idea of wolvering standing under a heat lamp and shaving off thin slices of his own leg and serving it up ala Old Country Buffet puts a sick smile on my face.

As for the art itself, the first thing I though of was "That looks like Inspector Gadget" Not a whole lot more to add than what has been said previously.

Kuro Hou on
    "For a man who looks like a garden gnome, you sure have a lot of demands."

I dare you to make less sense.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Kuro Hou wrote:
    paulwind wrote:
    [/nerd]

Umm...Eww. I'm a pretty big comic book geek and I've not heard this hypothetical before, though I guess it makes sense. Although I can't really think of any situation where Wolverine can't hunt anything dumber than him and eat it. On the other hand, the idea of wolvering standing under a heat lamp and shaving off thin slices of his own leg and serving it up ala Old Country Buffet puts a sick smile on my face.

Fuck that. Golden Coral, bitches.

paulwind on
  • Options
    Kuro HouKuro Hou Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    paulwind wrote:
    Fuck that. Golden Coral, bitches.

FYI, Corral has two "R"s. Unless you just happened to be referring to this:
    clavaria-flava-6308.jpg

Which would just be silly.

Kuro Hou on
    "For a man who looks like a garden gnome, you sure have a lot of demands."