As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
edited June 2017 in Games and Technology
16379332646_9bb35c23ce_o.jpg
METROID
Not an actual Metroid

Samus is awesome. Metroid is awesome. This OP is not.

This is the place to discuss how awesome Metroid is. While there isn't any news about a new game in the series, Nintendo has finally made the "well, DUH" move to allow Metroid Prime Trilogy to be purchased as a downloadable title from the Nintendo eShop. It's currently on sale for $9.99 through 2/5 at 8:59 a.m. PT. Go save about $40 and pick it up.

The series turns 30 next year. If Nintendo has nothing up their sleeve for that anniversary, well ... we can all talk about how stupid that is right here.

Fawst on

• Options
    Bobkins Flymo gave the OK for this new thread. We've been given a second chance. Take that how you will.
    Try not to fuck it up.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Metroid Prime Trilogy being released on the eShop gives me another chance to actually finish the first two Prime games, maybe.

The first Prime was the first, for lack of a better term, FPS I'd played in years, so... I wasn't much good at it at the time.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Smash Bros. Wii U did a new version of the classic "Escape" music, which is kind of nuts (but great)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if8AqE3wD4U

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2015
    I'm going to save the thread some sanity and just say discussion regarding That One Game is strictly forbidden.

It's a bad game, and I think we've thoroughly wrung every bit of discussion out of it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Grabbed Trilogy yesterday. The Wii controls are making a big difference to Prime 1. It feels much more immersive walking and looking around with pointer controls.

It is messing with the difficulty somewhat. Things that were easy to lock on & shoot now take a bit more co-ordination. It took me forever to get through that first wasp boss.

However, nailing precise shots from a distance is now possible. The mirrors on the plant boss can be hit from outside lock-on range, for instance.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm going to save the thread some sanity and just say discussion regarding That One Game is strictly forbidden.

It's a bad game, and I think we've thoroughly wrung every bit of discussion out of it.

This is tricky for me since I am not overly familliar with Metroid games. Are we referring to the one with the talking in it? I always thought it was well recieved but as I said, not overly familiar.

Anywya snapped up the trilogy and cannot wait to play it!

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Grabbed Trilogy yesterday. The Wii controls are making a big difference to Prime 1. It feels much more immersive walking and looking around with pointer controls.

It is messing with the difficulty somewhat. Things that were easy to lock on & shoot now take a bit more co-ordination. It took me forever to get through that first wasp boss.

However, nailing precise shots from a distance is now possible. The mirrors on the plant boss can be hit from outside lock-on range, for instance.

Someone @Gaf suggested turning off Free Aim for MP1 & 2 and I'd agree. The last bosses certainly were a bit more rough without Auto Lock On. It's doable tho!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options

Someone @Gaf suggested turning off Free Aim for MP1 & 2 and I'd agree. The last bosses certainly were a bit more rough without Auto Lock On. It's doable tho!

I'll see how I go. As I said, free aim makes the exploration that much more immersive; looking around, etc. I've finished the game previously so I don't know if I need to beat Ridley and Metroid Prime again. I mainly wan to revisit all the areas.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I swear to god if we don't get a new Metroid soon I'll

Probably sit here and cry

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I didn't have any problems beating the MPT versions of Prime 1 and 2. If anything it was easier, I thought. Prime 2 especially.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I didn't have any problems beating the MPT versions of Prime 1 and 2. If anything it was easier, I thought. Prime 2 especially.

They toned 2's difficulty down for the trilogy release.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    I think I need to play Super Metroid again.

• Options

It's just that basic thing of certain enemies could be beaten by lock -> shoot and it was guaranteed hits. For those enemies in MPT, the player needs to get used to centring the pointer after the lock.

I like the new version more because ultimately it's more control. The lock helps, but on occasion there is a need to shoot slightly off centre. It shows the strength of the original design that a different control is still well supported.

• Options
    I'm still getting used to the controls, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I can't believe how long it's been since Prime and Fusion came out. I still have Prime and Echoes for GC but I'm not hooking that thing up any time soon. Not sure why the Shoot button defaults to A, though. Does anyone use that? I immediately switched it when I realized I could.

I assume turning off Free Aim means you need to hold a button or something to allow aiming? That might be better for movement...

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    One thing I did do for MPT was adjust the pointer sensitivity. Slowing it down a little makes precision aiming easier.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Seeing that Samus picture in the OP makes me want a Marvel run Metroid mini series comic.

Mostly because the armor reminds me of Iron Man's Mark 42 armor.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Truly Chozo technology is a wonderful thing to be able to fit her hair in that helmet.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote: »

you should always be playing super metroid

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Truly Chozo technology is a wonderful thing to be able to fit her hair in that helmet.

Her whole body fits in a soccer ball, seems like it would be trivial to stuff some hair in a helmet.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Her whole body fits in a soccer ball, seems like it would be trivial to stuff some hair in a helmet.

She's very flexible. But that doesn't keep hair out of your eyes.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    A nice bonus of playing these on a hard drive is that the load times are reduced even further. Prime 1 on GC had some doors that took upwards of 10 seconds. It was improved upon in the Trilogy on Wii, but playing it from a hard drive nearly eliminates loading entirely.

The elevators in Prime 1 for example barely have time to animate before loading is done.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man I already have them but if the loading thing is true I might buy. I'm new to this extra storage thing on the Wii U...any links or pointers on what I need?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    She was genetically enhanced by the Chozo, so she's able to retract her hair back into her scalp whenever she wants. Makes it easier to avoid grapples, but the bonus side effect is that it also works the opposite way so she can make herself look fabulous as she watches the latest planet she has destroyed get vaporized.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Oh yes the metroids I like those

Got Prime3 for Christmas, and just bought the trilogy because why would you not for $10.
    Currently replaying Prime2 on my girlfriend's GCN. [about to get the powerbombs]
    Also replaying Fusion on Wii U and on GBA to unlock the Fusion bonuses for Prime, which we just finished on girlfriend's cube. Likely cashing in Club Nintendo funbucks for Super Metroid shortly.

I have my Samus amiibo and I am waiting, Nintendo. Do not fail me.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Maybe she can transform into quicksilver to slide under doors and harrass corrupt CEOs of chemical plants.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    She was genetically enhanced by the Chozo, so she's able to retract her hair back into her scalp whenever she wants. Makes it easier to avoid grapples, but the bonus side effect is that it also works the opposite way so she can make herself look fabulous as she watches the latest planet she has destroyed get vaporized.

Chozo-powered Blonde moments destroy planets.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

That should really be in the title or the OP then!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »

you should always be playing super metroid

I need to play Metroid Prime again once in a while too.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular

It's just that basic thing of certain enemies could be beaten by lock -> shoot and it was guaranteed hits. For those enemies in MPT, the player needs to get used to centring the pointer after the lock.

I like the new version more because ultimately it's more control. The lock helps, but on occasion there is a need to shoot slightly off centre. It shows the strength of the original design that a different control is still well supported.
    Actually, you can change the settings (at least in 1 and 2, not sure about 3) so that locking on just...locks on like the original versions. I highly recommend it.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »

Actually, you can change the settings (at least in 1 and 2, not sure about 3) so that locking on just...locks on like the original versions. I highly recommend it.

tumblr_mwmmbiqn6V1qz5q5lo1_500.gif

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I set the controls on Trilogy to advanced and now I am Metroid, robot bounty hunter.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    I set the controls on Trilogy to advanced and now I am Metroid, robot bounty hunter.

Hey, wait a minute.

Metroid isn't a bounty hunter.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Hey, wait a minute.

Metroid isn't a bounty hunter.

I think he'll figure that out shortly.

• Options
    Did you not get the joke referring to Samus as Metroid the robot or is there some joke about bounty hunting I don't know because we're even using that in the thread title

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Did you not get the joke referring to Samus as Metroid the robot or is there some joke about bounty hunting I don't know because we're even using that in the thread title

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/08/29/a-space-bounty-hunter-in-texas?page=8
    "We were looking for something more along the lines of a mission-based game where Samus collected bounties. And for the life of us we couldn't understand why [Nintendo was] being so resistive to that concept. And then over the period of days we came to understand that their definition of a bounty hunter is not a bounty hunter. It is not someone who brings in bad guys for money. That concept was completely outside of their definition," says Walker. Nintendo told Retro that Samus does not actually take bounties for those she hunts.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    reVerse wrote: »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/08/29/a-space-bounty-hunter-in-texas?page=8
    "We were looking for something more along the lines of a mission-based game where Samus collected bounties. And for the life of us we couldn't understand why [Nintendo was] being so resistive to that concept. And then over the period of days we came to understand that their definition of a bounty hunter is not a bounty hunter. It is not someone who brings in bad guys for money. That concept was completely outside of their definition," says Walker. Nintendo told Retro that Samus does not actually take bounties for those she hunts.

Reading some of that article, Nintendo's "idea" of what Samus actually does is so confusingly bizarre that I'm surprised the developer was actually able to get anywhere. I guess that explains why outside of maybe the game manual, the first Prime game ended up so relatively stripped of actual back story. (following previous Metroid veins of "oh Samus is here because there's a thing, and it's a bad thing, so she wants to go beat up the thing... yeah okay press start and go nuts.")

I think it may have been a kind of a pointer to Nintendo's beginning to shifting to a somewhat nonoffensive family-oriented company with their properties, the idea that one of their first-party characters basically being Boba Femme was somewhat apalling to them and they wanted her more portrayed as some kind of space paladin.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Starfox team is sorta bounty hunters.

But those are also direct creations of Shigeru, so...

Edit: Well, they're more mercenaries. Hired to fight wars. Bounty hunter kind of implies killing individuals.

Edit edit: Anyway, the whole reason I came to this thread was to complain that the title screen and menu music is gone from Prime 1 because of the new title screen and menus.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Well, Star Fox was basically hired to kill Andross. There just happened to be an interplanetary army in the way.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    If Samus isn't supposed to be a bounty hunter, then why do they call her a bounty hunter?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Honestly, I think the new controls in Prime 1 and 2 made them easier. I almost managed to get through Prime 1 without dying. When I got to Prime 3 in that package, the difficulty increase actually caught me off guard.