As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I own the boxed tin copy of Trilogy but never played through it. I'm one of those wierdos who doesn't like the pointer controls, but I should just get over it and play them sometime.

Do the different controls make the boost guardian any less hot bullshit?

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    If Samus isn't supposed to be a bounty hunter, then why do they call her a bounty hunter?

It sounds more polite than Bounty Killer.

The only problem is it implies she ever brings them in alive.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    She hunts the bounty associated with taking down her target.

I imagine targets like Ridley are labeled "dead or alive".

Or perhaps just "dead again" in the case of Ridley in particular.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    So aside from the blatant re-use of enemies from Prime despite being set on an entirely different planet one big issue I have with Echoes is the sanctuary and its setting. I have never reeeally been able to figure out going down an elevator to a floating sky fortress or what exactly the thing is supposed to be floating over.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    There are two Metroids that crossed my threshold for patience being lost. Echoes and The Game We Won't Discuss. So they are the only two Metroids I don't enjoy.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

The mental image of Samus handcuffing Ridley and handing him over to some poor Galactic Federation clerk is kind of amazing.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Samus does a very smart thing as a bounty hunter which is collecting hundreds of bounties at once by blowing up planets.

Something The Man With No Name could never have done.

NNID: Rehab0
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    She probably doesn't wait for a bounty to be posted on Ridley. Just keeps a constant newsfeed of Ridley-possible activities alongside a big clock counting from the last time she killed him.

"Hm, three years—prime Ridley resurrection territory. Might as well just suit up now."

s7Imn5J.png
    Samus is probably a "bounty hunter" for the same reason the race of bipedal laser crab aliens led by dragon monsters and a giant brain are "space pirates".

They needed something to write on the box and those were words that sounded interesting.

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    She probably doesn't wait for a bounty to be posted on Ridley. Just keeps a constant newsfeed of Ridley-possible activities alongside a big clock counting from the last time she killed him.

"Hm, three years—prime Ridley resurrection territory. Might as well just suit up now."

She probably just follows him on Twitter and shows up whenever he tweets about where he's going for lunch.

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I thought I had heard somewhere that Samus' origin as a bounty hunter was somewhat of a mistranslation?

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I thought I had heard somewhere that Samus' origin as a bounty hunter was somewhat of a mistranslation?
    Yeah, something about the original japanese being closer to "Galactic Peace Keeper" or something.

Samus Texas Space Ranger

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Samus Texas Space Ranger
    space-ranger.jpg

I'd play it.

McFlynn on
  • Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular

Not as far as I've been able to determine. Japanese wikipedia uses the English term "bounty hunter" in katakana. Whether they knew what that term meant when they created her is a different question.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I always assumed Samus was paid by the Galactic Federation for delivering the last surviving Metroid to Ceres Station. She was probably also paid for killing Mother Brain. So, there, bounty hunter.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The Japanese used an english word without knowing its full meaning just because it sounded cool? That's strange, that's not like them at all.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I downloaded this tonight. I owned the first game for the Cube but never even got half way through it so all three are basically new to me. So far I'm really liking the controls on this version.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I always assumed Samus was paid by the Galactic Federation for delivering the last surviving Metroid to Ceres Station. She was probably also paid for killing Mother Brain. So, there, bounty hunter.

Judging by all her baller spaceships she probably gets paid a ton. I mean she has a new one for every mission! She's the Jay Leno of spaceships.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Judging by all her baller spaceships she probably gets paid a ton. I mean she has a new one for every mission! She's the Jay Leno of spaceships.

She probably gets all those ships from the Federation. The alternative is she has no ship and so stays in Federation space, then it's their planets that end up getting destroyed.

• HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I own the boxed tin copy of Trilogy but never played through it. I'm one of those wierdos who doesn't like the pointer controls, but I should just get over it and play them sometime.

Do the different controls make the boost guardian any less hot bullshit?

Yes, he is apparently much easier because you don't have to bomb jump to beat him, you can make the morph ball jump by flicking the Wiimote. Spider ball guardian is easier too I believe.

edited February 2015
    Maybe I'm just a lot better than I was when I first played Echoes, but the boost and spider guardians have only taken a couple tries each this time around. The lack of save room access before spider guardian is a little obnoxious though.

Molybdenum on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I got Trilogy.

I may replay echoes but really I didn't care for the weapons system the actual guns are neat the ammo is not. And I doubt better aiming will fix this.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »

She probably just follows him on Twitter and shows up whenever he tweets about where he's going for lunch.

Samus shows up at a restaurant.
    Samus: So...you destroying any worlds today?
    Ridley: No! I'm having lunch with my daughter! Go away!
    Samus: Carry on.
    Ridley: This is harassment! I could sue!
    Samus departs.
    Ridley: Bloody unbelievable. Eat your grubs, dear.
    Daisy: GAWD dad! I told you like a million times that I'm vegan now. And you didn't even die since then, so you can't use that as an excuse.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Heh, Daisy Ridley.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I love the artwork in the OP. That's pretty much the ideal suit design for her, IMO. Like a flexible tank. :P

Oh brilliant
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I got Trilogy.

I may replay echoes but really I didn't care for the weapons system the actual guns are neat the ammo is not. And I doubt better aiming will fix this.

They made a handful of changes to Echoes to make the game less of a pain in the ass. Increased ammo drops is one of them.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Ridley: Bloody unbelievable. Eat your grubs, dear.

Ten minutes and one jaywalking incident later...
    samusxridley_otp_by_boyfugly-d3hedqy.jpg

s7Imn5J.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Using the grappling beam to bind his wings is a pretty great detail

dN0T6ur.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just a lot better than I was when I first played Echoes, but the boost and spider guardians have only taken a couple tries each this time around. The lack of save room access before spider guardian is a little obnoxious though.

I hate to break it to you...but MPT's Normal is actually easier than the original Echoes release.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

The mental image of Samus handcuffing Ridley and handing him over to some poor Galactic Federation clerk is kind of amazing.

It would be the smarter thing, if she could manage it. Kill him, and he just comes back, but if you can incapacitate him...?
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I'm going to save the thread some sanity and just say discussion regarding That One Game is strictly forbidden.

It's a bad game, and I think we've thoroughly wrung every bit of discussion out of it.

This is tricky for me since I am not overly familliar with Metroid games. Are we referring to the one with the talking in it? I always thought it was well recieved but as I said, not overly familiar.

Let's just say you shouldn't refer to anything from the series that came out after 2009...
    Renzo wrote: »
    If Samus isn't supposed to be a bounty hunter, then why do they call her a bounty hunter?

From the article:
    Nintendo told Retro that Samus does not actually take bounties for those she hunts. (Someone should tell Nintendo that Aran has officially been labeled a bounty hunter for two decades now, a slight inconsistency.) "So we started joking that Samus was actually a pro-bono hunter. And occasionally we'll run into those nuances of translation and culture that can sometimes derail us for days."

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    I can deal with the idea of Samus starting out as a bounty hunter until it got personal. Then it's about revenge. It's also about saving the galaxy, which I imagine she'd be ok with doing for free because she's one of the idiots who lives in it.

Sounds like Nintendo wants to retroactively change Samus' motivations though, which is akin to George Lucas wanting to change Han Solo from the scoundrel who would shoot someone under the table but becomes someone who actually gives a shit into.... well into someone who really doesn't go through much of a change at all.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    I never picked up Metroid Prime Hunters because of the hand cramps from the demo, but I'd like to see a remake/port for the New 3DS with the nubbin.

Jishian wrote: »
    I never picked up Metroid Prime Hunters because of the hand cramps from the demo, but I'd like to see a remake/port for the New 3DS with the nubbin.

It was a pretty mediocre single player experience. I'm not a competitive person so I never really got deep into the multiplayer. Unless they revamped it in a big way I wouldn't bother.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm now imagining Samus arguing with some Federation clerk over whether or not she can claim the bounty on Ridley if she's already killed him once before.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited February 2015
    And if you thought bureaucracy was bad imagine it on a galactic scale. Insert Hitchhiker's quote/image wherever you please.

RidleySaria on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I can deal with the idea of Samus starting out as a bounty hunter until it got personal. Then it's about revenge. It's also about saving the galaxy, which I imagine she'd be ok with doing for free because she's one of the idiots who lives in it.

Sounds like Nintendo wants to retroactively change Samus' motivations though, which is akin to George Lucas wanting to change Han Solo from the scoundrel who would shoot someone under the table but becomes someone who actually gives a shit into.... well into someone who really doesn't go through much of a change at all.
    I think it's not so much a retroactive change as only just recently understanding what "bounty hunter" means. It's still pretty silly, though; it's always sounded to me like the objection to "bounty hunter" was that the notion was somehow immoral, while obliterating everything on a planet was totally fine for reasons. If she's not a bounty hunter, which go out and catch criminals for money, then she's a mercenary, which kill people for money. One of those is basically a cop with some extra leeway who works on commission, and the other is more or less a large-scale assassin.

And considering the kind of bad guys that exist in the Metroid universe, yeah, I could totally see the Federation keeping Samus on one hell of a pricey retainer to help them with jobs where they can't just use human wave tactics to solve all their problems.
    I'm now imagining Samus arguing with some Federation clerk over whether or not she can claim the bounty on Ridley if she's already killed him once before.
    I imagine the videos of her flying away from multiple planets and installations while not looking at the massive explosion behind her would cut through a loooot of red tape.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Nintendo called Samus a bounty hunter because Boba Fett (whom Samus is loosely based on) was a bounty hunter. They tried to make the character cool without fully understanding what a bounty hunter is. It's not a retcon, Samus was only ever a bounty hunter because of language barrier.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular

I think it's not so much a retroactive change as only just recently understanding what "bounty hunter" means. It's still pretty silly, though; it's always sounded to me like the objection to "bounty hunter" was that the notion was somehow immoral, while obliterating everything on a planet was totally fine for reasons. If she's not a bounty hunter, which go out and catch criminals for money, then she's a mercenary, which kill people for money. One of those is basically a cop with some extra leeway who works on commission, and the other is more or less a large-scale assassin.

And considering the kind of bad guys that exist in the Metroid universe, yeah, I could totally see the Federation keeping Samus on one hell of a pricey retainer to help them with jobs where they can't just use human wave tactics to solve all their problems.
    I imagine the videos of her flying away from multiple planets and installations while not looking at the massive explosion behind her would cut through a loooot of red tape.

My problem with this article is that it says Nintendo claims Samus isn't a "bounty hunter," but then doesn't bother to say what Nintendo does think she is. If they say that going around catching bad people for money is "evil," then what is she doing?

My guess - completely unsupported - is that the original writing was that Samus just goes around being a hero and accepting nothing but thanks for it, like the classic wandering samurai or knight errant. Doing it for pay, and not out of the pure goodness of one's spirit, somehow tarnishes the appeal for some people. "She's not a mercenary, for heaven's sake; money is beneath her. It's about right and wrong."

Characters like this usually involve the phrase "strong sense of justice" somewhere along the line, and then my eyes start rolling. And then the questions about where these awesome new ships keep coming from pop up, and it all gets handwaved as space magic. Like the revelation that the power armor isn't a suit but instead just appears if she concentrates hard enough.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, not so much a retconn as a clarification.

That took something like two decades.

But Samus would still have a better background as a bounty hunter than a mercenary, because one of those might actually care about the law and the other cares about rules as far as necessary to not get fired for killing the wrong stuff at the wrong times.
    Bursar wrote: »
    My guess - completely unsupported - is that the original writing was that Samus just goes around being a hero and accepting nothing but thanks for it, like the classic wandering samurai or knight errant. Doing it for pay, and not out of the pure goodness of one's spirit, somehow tarnishes the appeal for some people. "She's not a mercenary, for heaven's sake; money is beneath her. It's about right and wrong."
    There's some sense to that, I suppose, but with all the stuff she's done, there's no way she would turn down the grand cash prize for blowing up Planet Evil or whatever. Kinda hard to be the wandering samurai type when you've got to buy fuel for your fancy interstellar Ferrari, which you tend to need to replace every couple of years.

Ninja Snarl P on