As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Flight Sims] DCS open-beta approaches something modern: Using more than one CPU core!

GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what?Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
edited March 2023 in Games and Technology
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0bKJURQXcn6bgS8RfK587OsL0w6JKxXV3R9DrhjwWDSKRuscE5bCrWD0
I feel the need. The need for speed. (And sometimes a nice jaunt through the serene afternoon sky)

If you're looking for War Thunder, go here. War Thunder is popular enough to have it's own thread!

Whether it's dropping bombs and firing missiles or landing a super jumbo in a busy pattern at Heathrow that lights your fire, flight sims are for you.

Flight sims are a genre that has been neglected over the years, but seems to be making a modest comeback with new display technology (Oculus Rift), and the resurgence of flight sim's sibling genre, the space sim. This has ignited interest in peripherals and titles, and both flight and space sims seem posed to enter a new healthier era. If you've already spent all that money on a fancy stick for Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous, why not check out some flight sims?

This can be a daunting genre to approach. They aren't known for user friendly interfaces, or pulling any punches for the new user. You're going to hear more about bogey dopes, hot flankers, angles, vectors, foxes, splashes, IFR, VFR, approaches and flaring than your poor head will know what to do with. Push through the initial confusion and there's a world of game play depth to be explored.

Current / Active Sims

DCS World

6XWoSoO.jpg?1

DCS World and it's modules are some of the most up to date pure combat flight sims we have today. Eagle Dynamics and it's various plane modeling contractors are still adding new modules, new planes and updating old planes. The simulations here aren't always perfect, and the graphics engine is two generations behind, but DCS is probably the easiest of the combat sims to simply boot up and play. DCS World is available on Steam for free!. This only gets you a couple of aircraft (the Su-25 and the TP-51D trainer), but it's a great way to get started. Recommended first purchase is the Flaming Cliffs 3 addon which adds a ton of new aircraft, specifically the A-10A and the F-15C, both some of the most interesting and exciting planes in DCS.

Website | Steam Page

Falcon 4.0 / BMS

ipEDUqe.jpg?1

Falcon 4.0 is the crown jewel of the Falcon series, and probably one of the best consumer simulators ever written. Unfortunately, it was released in 1998. Lucky for us, there is a dedicated and awesome fan community which has kept the game alive through the BMS addon, which is effectively a total overhaul of Falcon 4.0 with new Block 50/52 F-16's (yay Helmet Mounted Cuing System!). You'll need to legally procure a copy of Falcon 4.0 and do some setup before you can play this, but it's worth it if you're in to sims.

Website

IL-2 Sturmovik

ApM8SVl.jpg?1

A World War II flight simulator, IL-2 is a highly regarded simulation if you're flight preferences lean toward the piston and propeller persuasion. It's had several updates over the years and still has an active and dedicated community. A new iteration of the game, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad was released in October of last year. It's had some mixed reviews, but the developers seem committed to getting it up to speed.

Update: According to our own @TOGSolid, Cliffs of Dover is the new hotness in IL-2. It has a thriving mod community and seems to be where the community has congregated.

Website | Cliffs of Dover Steam Page | Team Fusion Cliffs of Dover Mods | Steam Page for Older IL-2: 1946 | Steam Page for Lastest IL-2: BoS

FSX - Flight Simulator X

PsM9TUo.jpg?1

One of the most highly regarded flight simulators ever made, by a company you'd never expect. If leisurely cross country flights, and landing at busy commercial airports are more your thing, FSX is considered one of the best. It's available at a reasonable price on Steam and has a beautifully mapped terrain representation. In addition it's incredibly active and supported by the community, with tons and tons of mods that add new planes (including military and aerobatic...the best F/A-18E Super Hornet model in the world right now is an FSX mod).

Get Started Website | Steam Page

X Plane 10

PEojZfb.jpg?1

I haven't personally gotten to suit up in X Plane, but everyone I know who has loves it. It's probably the most graphically impressive of the flight sims available today, with incredibly realistic representations of cities and terrain. It's available for home use at the regular 60 dollar price point, and seems like a neat step up in technology if you want to go the ultra realistic route. It, much like FSX, is also supported by a robust mod community that offers both free and paid content.

Website

Rise of Flight

CH3B6NC.jpg

Rise of flight is a World War 1 combat simulator featuring a wide range of classic WW1 era biplanes, triplanes, and even a couple very early monoplanes. If you're used to flying modern jets or even classic WW2 fighters this simulator is going to be a very different animal to get used to but ultimately very rewarding since everything is much more hands on with these planes and the lower horsepower but higher lift will force you to alter your tactics. To put it simply, this is a game where you can get a pistol for your pilot and actually use the damn thing.

Website | Steam Page

Gear (Or how flight sim fans are poor)

I won't lie, flight sim gear is hilariously expensive. This is because the equipment itself isn't produced in massive quantities due to low demand, and the demanding nature of flight sim fans. Generally speaking you're going to be looking at two types of gear. In either case, you're going to want decent rudder pedals. From there you're looking at two distinct types of controls: HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick, military), and yoke + throttle (civilian/commercial). The classifications are general of course, there are military aircraft that use yokes and civilian aircraft that use variations of HOTAS. Unfortunately I know little about yokes, so I'll be leaving that section for someone else to fill in. For the rest of this section I'll be talking about HOTAS and pedals. I'm also only going to list items here that are generally considered good kit and worth buying for semi-serious simulation. You can certainly get by with a basic Logitech 3D Pro, but that's not what most people come to sims for.

HOTAS

Entry Level - The venerable Saitek X-52
This has long been the standard for My First Hotas buyers, and it remains today a great value buy if you're aware of it's limitations and issues. It's a perfectly capable setup, and with some basic modding can even be great. At the 130-150 dollar price point, it's obviously a value winner. If you can't step up one price point to the CH pairing or the X-55, this will get you going quite nicely. It also has rudder twist on the stick, allowing you to forgo buying pedals for a bit.

vlD8MS5.jpg

X-52 on Amazon

Value - CH Combatstick + CH Pro Throttle
They aren't real lookers, but CH makes a solid set of stick and throttle in the Combatstick and Pro Throttle. The pairing will cost you around 200 bucks, and you have to buy them seperately, but they are quality kit that is highly reviewed.
CBT.jpg&w=200&h=200&method=surface&quality=80PT.jpg&w=200&h=200&method=surface&quality=80

Combatstick on Amazon | Pro Throttle on Amazon

Value - HOTAS in a box - Saitek X-55
If you're looking for a HOTAS in a box, and something that looks a touch nicer than the CH kit, the Saitek X-55 Rhino has solid reviews. It seems to have fixed some of the serious manufacturing problems that plagued it's younger brother the X-52. There are still occasionally problems reported with it, but overall owners seem happy with it. It will run you the same 200'ish price tag that the CH set will run you.

26-102-073-TS?$S300$

X-55 on Amazon

Money Is No Object - Thrustmaster Warthog
Currently this is the crown jewel of mass produced HOTAS kit available Stateside. European customers have a couple of other high end options, but for us dirty Yanks, the Warthog is the top of the heap without getting in to crazy expensive custom gear and cockpit setups. The Warthog is a near 1:1 replication of the A-10C Warthog's HOTAS setup. It's absolutely covered in buttons and switches and allows you to map nearly everything you need. This is the option I can talk the most about, as it's the HOTAS I personally own. It's heavy, all metal, built to last and incredibly nice. As with all flight sim gear, it's not without it's issues though. There is a known, and relatively common, "stiction" (where the stick doesn't have a smooth pull and feels like it sticks) issue. It's fixable, but many people rightly feel that a 400 dollar piece of kit shouldn't have issues like that.

hotas-warthog-joystick.jpg

Warthog on Amazon

Pedals

Value - CH Pro Pedals
Maybe the best reasonably priced pedals you can get, CH's pedals are widely loved by all sim pilots who own them. At around 110-120 dollars, you can get these plus a Rhino or CH HOTAS setup and be fully kitted to fly for 320 dollars, give or take. I highly, highly recommend these over the Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

xKld3Gi.jpg?1

Olive Garden Money - Saitek Pro Flight COMBAT Rudder Pedals
These are a different and more pricey product than the roundly frowned upon Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. These feature some metal construction and look and feel more like combat pedals. They are running in the 190 dollar price range currently. Even as someone who owns these, I question whether the step up from the CH Products is worth it, but these are available if you want to spend a touch more.

Aj1OkUG.jpg?1

I'm Really Crazy - Slaw Device BF-109's
These are stupidly expensive and have a really shady buying process requiring you to deposit money in to the Polish makers bank account...but man, what pedals these are. The maker is currently working on a set of Slaw Device F-16C pedals that may actually tempt me. So how much are we talking here? 500 bucks, plus about 65 dollars for US shipping. In addition, you basically have to wire transfer the guy money as he has no web store, or even a website. Each set is hand built for to order.

sLERUyD.jpg?1

Extras

TrackIR / FreeTrack
TrackIR / FreeTrack are head tracking solutions that are generally used to slave the view in game to your head movement. The more horizontal and vertical screen space you have (spanning multiple monitors in some cases), the more realistic head tracking will feel, but it can be used with a single screen fine. You'll just have significantly more sensitive inputs. For serious dog fighting in combat sims, I consider some kind of head tracking or tracked view essential. You tend to spend more time looking around you than looking at your hud/instruments and the tracking is invaluable.

Oculus Rift / VR
Even better than TrackIR is an Oculus Rift or another good VR head set. Frankly if the current Crystal Bay prototype was released as a dev kit, I'd have already ordered one. I truly believe these are the future of flight (and space) sims and will revolutionize the genre. The current crop of flight sims has varying support for Oculus, but fans for most of the games have made it work. Some duck tape and tech savvy helpful.

Flight School - First Lesson: Don't meet your shadow

General
XPlane.org Flight School - Tailored to XPlane, it has a lot of general flight stuff as well.

Falcon 4.0 BMS
Nice tutorial about getting BMS setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU3pmXvnc0k

Two hour tutorial that takes you from end of the runway to flying basic formation. Tons of info, but worth keeping bookmarked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPEGNZB09Y

Playlist of 20 odd in-depth tutorials from YouTuber Krouse. Ignore his mispronunciation of AAMRAM, his tutorials are great.

Direct link to Krouse's ramp (or cold) start tutorial. Great to keep handy if you want to memorize F-16 startup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUtpZQNt-Tg&list=PL3E09AA94FF0EACEC&index=20

DCS World
First part of a four part series on the F-15C's air-to-air systems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhWeVETFPN0

Control Setups

Coming Soon

OP Information

This is truly a living OP, and is always open for updating. Flight sims are complicated and I can't possibly know everything about them. If there is a game, peripheral, setup or tutorial you don't see listed here you think it should have, please let me know! Let's get it added.

Sagroth wrote: »
Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
GnomeTank on

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Reserved for OP expansion

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I grabbed X Plane recently and I'm really enjoying it. It's a pretty utilitarian program but it's surprisingly easy to use. One of the things I like about it is that it dynamically responds to your actions. If you want to just fly around, then just fly around. X Plane will stay out of your way. If you want to get realistic just start using the radio and avionics features and X Plane responds accordingly. I haven't spent a lot of time with civil aviation sims. I got interested in them with Take On Helicopters after picking up the original Black Shark and running into the DCS/Soviet avionics and doctrine learning cliff on top of learning about flying helicopters which is like balancing on top of a ball that is balanced on top of a ball. I was surprised by how much I enjoy civil aviation stuff. It really shouldn't surprise me because I love flight so much to start with, but I've always been blown away by how sexy the military planes are. Now I'm looking at Cessna airplanes with a fresh eye and I'm learning about civil aviation infrastructure. I also picked up the new FSX Steam edition, so I should get around to checking that out too.

XPlane.org's Flight School series has been really informative as well and has great flight techniques and practices regardless of the sim you fly.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I haven't played X Plane yet, but I think it's the next thing on my list to buy.

Currently I'm mostly flying a lot of Falcon 4 BMS. The terrain engine in Falcon is terrible looking, but the F-16 cockpit looks amazing thanks to BMS, and I'm really enjoying the Israel Theatre and flying the F-16-40I that they modeled for that. The F-16 has always been my dream jet, so I'm very partial to Falcon. There's nothing quite like getting the call of bandit tally hot, emergency dropping your entire A/G load and turning in to a lethal hunter killer. Falcon 4 actually models it all so when you drop the A/G, you actually feel the plane get lighter (and it goes in to CAP 1 so it turns the governor off so you can really fly).

Speaking of which, if anyone has DCS World or BMS, and is lost, I'd be happy to jump on voice comms and give you a crash course in flying the Eagle and Falcon. Those are the aircraft I have the most experience in and actually understand how to operate the various systems.

e: As a side note, the F-16 is a much easier to plane to fly than the Eagle in DCS, as it has much more modern systems. If you want to try out a combat sim, and want reasonably up to date systems that don't feel quite as 1970, BMS is great and very easy/cheap to get.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Falcon 4.0 was my first modern flight sim. I still have the three ring binder and original disk as well as Falcon 4 Allied Force. BMS has been on my list of flight sim things to check out, hopefully I get around to it one day. I believe my ability to quickly grasp a flight sim comes from running through the Falcon 4.0 flight school. Falcon 4.0 is an absolutely incredible and super demanding sim. I was heartbroken to find the campaign was practically unplayable due to bugs but I still feel like that flight school portion of the sim was a fantastic learning experience.

Still these days I spend more time in DCS World for military stuff. I've probably spent most of that time flying the free Mustang trainer, after the Black Shark. I've also spent a little time in the Saberjet, which is quite a plane. the TF-51 is amazingly fun to fly since it's an unarmed, and therefore lighter aircraft. It's super bouncy which makes it really fun for NOE flight. Here's a video from one of my favorite youtube pilots demonstrating this. He's a professional pilot and it really shows in his sim flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RTFsoQZS8Y

I also have Flaming Cliffs 3 and the P-51D module. On top of that I've got a bunch of planes in Rise of Flight and I've barely touched that too. It's pretty easy to get too many planes to fly. :rotate: I'll get to them all one day!

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I have FC3 too if you ever want to run around in some Eagles. It's really the only DCS World plane I have enough familiarity with to fly confidently.

e: The way that guy flies paint, always keeping his partner in view unless he's lead, shows his professionalism, or at least a long dedication to sim flying.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Did the BMS crew ever get the mod working for Falcon 4.0: Allied Force? I seem to recall that the mod would only work on the non-Allied Force version.

EDIT - but that was a long time ago...so I'm not sure if that's still the case these days.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Pretty sure it's still the not the Allied Force version, though I could be wrong.

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    I used to play a ton of Jane's F-15 and F/A-18. Shame they're not still around. I always loved the study sim.

Also played a lot of FSX but haven't had the time recently. Looking forward to see what Dovetail will do with the series.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Just had my best touch down in an F-16 yet. Wasn't perfect, I had way too aggressive of a glide slope on final and had to really flare back, but she touched down at 182 knots really gentle and I was able to engage nose wheel and get it slowed down with plenty of runway left.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    If you like study sims, and of the F-15 in particular...you might want to check out DCS World. One of the modules is for the F-15C. The individual modules are basically where they go in-depth with the module's aircraft (instead of going for breadth with the Flaming Cliffs modules).

EDIT - Whoops...totally wrong on that one. Just read the Steam store page, and it looks like they just ripped the F-15C part of Flaming Cliffs and are selling it a la carte. My mistake.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Pretty sure the F-15C module and the F-15C in FC3 are the exact same plane. They put the "advanced flight model" in to FC3 a while ago, and priced the F-15C module accordingly. What you're saying is 100% true of the A-10 module, which models the more modern and complex A-10C, versus FC3's A-10A.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Also, there is an F/A-18C full advanced flight model module coming to DCS World "soon". That will be one of the advanced modules like the A-10C, with a complete and as close to real world simulation as possible.

• Options
    Personally, I'm sorely tempted by the F-86F module. Ever since I piloted it in Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, I've loved that plane.

• Options
    The F-15C module you can buy is the same as what you get in the Flaming Cliffs 3 module. They've upgraded it to the professional flight model and the cockpit is 6DOF capable. The avionics and weapon deployment is simplified and the cockpit isn't clickable, since FC3 is a survey sim, but the flight model is supposed be pretty great now.

• Options
    The flight model is fine. They've definitely modeled an older Eagle, it has none of the newer block E or F upgrades like the F-16 style MFD's. But it still does it's job, which is to sweep fighters out of the sky, and it's a great way to learn how to fly an air superiority fighter. You're still going to be slewing radar cones and looking for missile firing solutions.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    My copy of Falcon 4.0 was one of the later ones with no manual so I spent the money to get the entire PDF printed, three hole punched the pages myself, and shoved it into two binders.

Anyhoo, regarding IL-2 it sounds like the current hotness is actually Cliffs of Dover with the community updates applied. BoS isn't quite up to where CoD is. Personally, I'm holding out for the DCS WW2 era game they're working on cause I don't dig on flying modern planes. Too much computer button pushing for my tastes.

Also for the OP: Rise of Flight - World War 1 biplane badassery! Become the Red Baron!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Yeah the F-86F and Mustang modules for DCS World are a ton of fun. The Mustang is a bit tricky, managing the supercharged piston engine takes a little bit of study. I've managed to destroy more than one engine. That's one of the things I adore about study sims though. The Saberjet is really cool too, the module just oozes that whole Right Stuff vibe and it's just pure boresight dogfights with a huge flight envelope.

I'm unreasonably excited to get my hands on the MiG-21Bis too. That thing is such a Cold War icon.

• Options
    The F/A-18 module coming is probably the first full bore module I'll grab for DCS. I love the F/A role, it's one of the reasons I love the Viper.

• Options
    Just updated the OP with the first of a few tutorials. Mostly BMS stuff, but I'll add more as I think of them or they get suggested to me.

• Options
    Just had my first landing emergency. My gear wouldn't come down electrically, I had to hit the alt gear drop, while I was on final. Almost didn't make the landing, and had no nose wheel when I did...but she got down, in one piece.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    @GnomeTank I'll get you the particulars for the CoD updates and a paragraph block for RoF when I get home in a couple days. I'm kinda confined to my phone until Tuesday. Yo ho yo ho, a sailor's life and all that.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    No worries. Any info like that you want added to the OP, just write it up and I'll get it in there.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    And now for some gear porn:

f16-980x547.jpg

The prototype of the Slaw Device F-16C pedals that the maker has been teasing. If I had to guess, these would end up setting you back 5-600 USD, deposited in to a Polish mans bank account, and probably close to 70 bucks to ship. Hehe.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Man, I wish there was someone doing stuff like that only for the HOTAS side of things. A super high end not-Warthog stick is my dream. Not that I'm disappointed with my CH setup in anyway mind you. It's a fantastic HOTAS and the CH pedals are great stuff, I kinda just want a souped up version of it. All metal, heavy as fuck, clicky buttons and hats all over the place, that sorta thing.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    What's the complaint about Saitek's low end pedals?

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    What's the complaint about Saitek's low end pedals?

I had a set and haaaaaaated them. They're sloppy feeling, not very accurate, noisy, and have to be velcroed to the floor to keep em from moving. The Combat version is alright apparently but I'll be sticking to my CH pedals. They're ugly but they're built like a brick shithouse (like all CH stuff) and work great.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I haven't used the lower end Saitek pedals personally, but everyone I know who has basically has TOG's opinion. They have 4 stars on Amazon, so they must not be total shit, but I haven't heard great things. I think the CH ones are way better at the price point.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I haven't used the lower end Saitek pedals personally, but everyone I know who has basically has TOG's opinion. They have 4 stars on Amazon, so they must not be total shit, but I haven't heard great things. I think the CH ones are way better at the price point.
    I think the rating is mostly due to people not knowing any better. "They worked when I plugged them in! Five stars!" For instance, what the fuck is this shit?
    After learning the "hard" way, the Rudder Pedals work Great! First (and very importantly) do NOT try to assign any functions to the pedals using your feet! After plugging in the USB connection put them on a flat surface and use your hands when moving the pedals to assign the right and left "Differential Brake" functions, then again using your hands, assign the "Rudder Axis" function.
    Secondly, do not get overly exuburent when imputing the right or left "Rudder", if you hit the stops "firmly" the pedals will LOCK-UP! You will then have to remove 20 screws, and carefully re-align the pedals so they "unlock", then have to reinstall the 20 screws! Trust me, I've done it three times (greatly increasing my "expletive deleted" vocabulary in the process!) In spite of the above, they work well.
    That's a four star review and everything about it is fucking terrible.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    That has to be a troll review. It has to. The way he talks about needing to bind the axis with your hands instead of your feet...has to be trolling.

• Options
    That has to be a troll review. It has to. The way he talks about needing to bind the axis with your hands instead of your feet...has to be trolling.

Yeah, but then I read other reviews where they mention the pedals sticking and all sorts of mods they do to make them sturdier and I gotta wonder.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Makes sense. I have a set and I'm not enthused with them, so I was curious if others had the same complaint :) Mostly just the lack of weight / ability to stay put for mine.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    The Saitek combat's have that problem on carpet. I ended up getting a couple of bricks and putting weight behind them.

One of these days, once I have an Oculus, I'd like to get (or build) a nice pilots chair that had a pedal mount, and side saddle mounts for my stick and throttle. I won't need the big display mounts so I'm hoping I can find something at a reasonable price in a year or two.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    The Saitek combat's have that problem on carpet. I ended up getting a couple of bricks and putting weight behind them.

One of these days, once I have an Oculus, I'd like to get (or build) a nice pilots chair that had a pedal mount, and side saddle mounts for my stick and throttle. I won't need the big display mounts so I'm hoping I can find something at a reasonable price in a year or two.

Yeah, when I eventually bail out of Alaska I wanna take the opportunity to ditch my computer desk for something more suitable. I may just end up dumping my whole setup for an Obutto Gaming Cockpit.

If you wanna get a good chair to build on to DX Racer makes some pretty good stuff and they sell arms for them that are meant to just be mousepads but could probably easily be made into HOTAS mounts. From there, all you'd need to do is to rig up a pedal mount.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    The thread inspired me to fire up X Plane and take a local sunset cruise with local conditions. It was a very chill flight. This is pretty damn close to what it looks like from the air around here, and landmarks like radio towers, bridges and interstate seem to be pretty close to where they should be if not dead on. For example that's I-10 I'm following in the second shot.

kQEjNKy.jpg

iG3hEKh.jpg

QfTvyk2.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Man X Plane looks good. I definitely need to pick it up soon.

e: Woh, X Plane comes with the F–22 Raptor as part of it's default package? Anyone know how good the flight model is? Does it model the vectored thrust and everything?

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Yeah I saw binds for thrust vectoring in the hardware setup earlier while I was binding a couple of odds and ends. I haven't flown any of the jets yet, I've just been flying civie prop planes around and getting into basic precision flight, getting my circuits down and stuff so I can get into some IFR training and learning ATC. I love how easy X Plane makes it to learn all of this. You can just jump in and fly, then as you want to investigate and explore the various aspects of the simulation you can access the functionality just by performing the appropriate actions and the sim will respond and prompt you accordingly. So you can get as technical as you like or you can load up a plane already in flight where ever you like in the world and do barrel rolls in a jetliner or whatever.

Drake on
  • Options
    I'm getting pretty decent at this landing thing. Though to be fair it's all VFR right now, and the F-16 is not a particularly hard bird to land (other than it being really tough to slow down, it's air brake is kind of a joke, and it doesn't like to slow down).

• Options
    Yeah the angle of attack on the flare on your final is pretty extreme in the F-16. If you don't start to level out before touchdown you scrape the exhaust cones. That's problematic and should be avoided.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    It's very common for me to set the back wheels down and hit my toe breaks while I'm aero braking to bring the nose down, because the flare angle is crazy, and you end up doing the tail dance all the way down the runway if you don't force the nose down (which a kiss of the toe brakes does nicely).

e: And interestingly, I've found the F-16's slow speed capabilities, which are fucking amazing for a jet, to work against you at times. There are times, even at 140-160 knot touch down speed, that the jet just wants to take right back off. Despite being a plane that can't fly without it's computer because it's statically unstable, the F-16 really WANTS to fly.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Yeah the F-16 is all lightning and soaring fury. It doesn't want to come down. It wants to fly and destroy.