As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crusader Kings 2; Charlemagne vs Carloman, Fratricide 2.0

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I'm finding it harder and harder to actually get into a game of CK2 these days. I can't seem to find my groove anymore or when I do find my groove I get a curveball thrown at me so hard it knocks me out of any serious parts of the gameplay.

"Oh you're about to win a holy war? Here suddenly there's a rebellion in the country with a five thousand strong army. It spawns in the province your army is in, with full morale, and with about 650 horse archers. All those counties you sieged down. Thanks. If you want them you need to fabricate claims on them since we're the same religion. And as a cherry on top your leader is knocked incapable and survives for 20+ years beyond that event. Luckily, you're still only a one province count so don't gotta worry about succession."

Lots of my recent games suddenly throw about ten tons of bullshit at me when I seem to make any progress at all.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    http://bibicon.it/breakfastbug/intervista-henrik-fahraeus-lead-designer-di-crusader-kings-ii/#tabs-421-0-1
    Q:We talked about time and history but geography and maps are a crucial feature too, and, at the moment, players can rule any kingdom or empire from Iceland to Timbuctu, from the Pillars of Hercules to whole India. Do you think a Chinese Scenario or the pre-colombian american civilizations will ever be in CKII? Even if they break the game core assumption of being a Crusader King or its counterpart?

A:I would love to include the entire Asian continent at least, and I could see that working from a design perspective (the game is not primarily
    about the Crusades at all and I have never been happy with the name “Crusader Kings”, but it is far too late to rebrand it now.) What currently
    prevents us from adding the Far East is rather RAM and CPU load. I would not rule it out completely though, because these things can
    probably be solved with some effort.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'd rather they didn't expand the map any further, to be honest.

Though I would play the hell out of a Paradox strategy game set in the Three Kingdoms period.

WotanAnubis on
    I'd like a goddamn actual Byzantine bureaucracy and non-boring Orthodox church, non-fucked Muslim decadence, theocracies (hey you can be the -Caliph- of all of Sunni Islam so why not other religious leaders?), and a steppe focused expansion before I want any more map expansion or fancy dumb shit like "Way of Life" that adds a bajillion new mechanics with no apparent long term testing that makes broken shit entirely more broken.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Those would be nice. I'd also like to see naval warfare, Germanic and Slavic pagans, a West Africa focused expansion, and Way of LIfe 2: Even More Boogaloo.

I would like an Africa expansion actually. I'd be pretty cool with that.

edited January 2015
    Okay so I had a Zunbil game that turned awesome.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=f1cyrt&s=8#.VMph2y7zI3s

Current land.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=svkntd&s=8#.VMpigy7zI3s

Current ruler.

If you can't see.

Shah Tahmasp "the Lawgiver" of Zunbil Shadom.

edit: or not! indian holy orders appear to be immortal

edit edit: ended in a white peace. we beat the shit out of each other. sheesh.

Trace on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

Was there much going on outside west africa and Ethiopia at the time? I was under the impression that those were pretty much the center of things at the time and they could be expanded a bit but I think going much farther into Subsaharan africa would be pointless.

Was there much going on outside west africa and Ethiopia at the time? I was under the impression that those were pretty much the center of things at the time and they could be expanded a bit but I think going much farther into Subsaharan africa would be pointless.

I believe there's enough to justify it yes. Although the specifics are unknown to me.

I know Mali is at least bigger than is depicted in game.

and I'm knocked incapable

bastard. >:|

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

I believe there's enough to justify it yes. Although the specifics are unknown to me.

I know Mali is at least bigger than is depicted in game.

Well now that I really think about it west africa itself could probably be a rajs of india expansion by itself. There are a lot bit players in the area not represented and the relevant theatre in real life of interacting nations probably extended to include the whole panhandle area south of the sahara, which is like half the size of Europe.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I'm personally mostly looking forward to CK3 at this point

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    If it's as pretty as Hearts of Iron 4 is looking I'm down.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    We still have to wait for at least vicky 3 before then

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    hopefully, at least

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    I love Victoria 2's POP and Economic systems.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I'd rather they didn't expand the map any further, to be honest.

Though I would play the hell out of a Paradox strategy game set in the Three Kingdoms period.
    Someday I will make this mod.

Probably not until CK3 though.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    playing as a scandanavian is way harder with the new tribal rules. Stupid elective gavelkind. >:c

camo_sig2.png
    While it is supper annoying that they get the free option to pop out as an independent ruler for free, at the very least gavelkind seems to prefer giving who you'll end up playing as a logical set of provinces. And if you're going to lose one of them, going out and getting more of that tier tends to prevent you from losing it. So you don't have to worry as much about being an Emperor that controls a single county directly under the barony of your brother in the Kingdom your uncle controls or something stupid like that.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    hahaha oh my god.

So the Abbasid attack -finally- came. My 10k vs their nearly 40k.

I stalemated the fucks. That pagan defense bonus+mountains+winter is absolutely devastating.

I watched a 20k stack go down to a 16k stack. Down and down they just melted away.

edited February 2015
    oh god damn it.

So I'm finally confident enough to declare war for the third holy site and start my way toward reforming the Zun religion.

I wound up having to white peace out because I had no less than six fucking "Khivan liberation rebels/Buddhist uprisings" pop through the entire war that chewed through my troops slowly but surely. I didn't have enough left to siege with at the end and now I'm all worried the moment I start the game up this morning I'm going to have a DoW from the stupidly stable Abbasids.

Trace on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    As exciting as it is to just keep rolling, I've found that CK2 rewards a expand / chill out and batten down the hatches / expand cycle more often.

I'm currently trying really hard to lock down Aragon as a Catholic country and build a power-base there in my Lombardy game, for example, and it's mostly so I can avoid the same kind of thing Trace just encountered. I already got caught in the middle of a Holy War between Aquitaine and All The Muslims while trying to press a de jure claim, and that was quite enough excitement for me.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Byzantium needs dlc to enable court intrigue bullshit. Basically I want some more GOT in this bizness. Being able to play some minor count, concentrating entirely on backstabbery and plotting, with more flavor than currently available would be awesome. Basically Littlefinger, the Game.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Byzantium needs dlc to enable court intrigue bullshit. Basically I want some more GOT in this bizness. Being able to play some minor count, concentrating entirely on backstabbery and plotting, with more flavor than currently available would be awesome. Basically Littlefinger, the Game.

Way of Life was a good step towards that, as Intrigue and War in particular give you some more ways to jockey for position. I got amazingly close to forcing all of Germany to rebel against Burgundy and set me up as king there in a Franconia game before my current one, but screwed up some of the details and got Karling'd instead.

It's still not as much as I'd like to have either, but as the vassal of basically any likely Empire it'd be a lot of help.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »
    As exciting as it is to just keep rolling, I've found that CK2 rewards a expand / chill out and batten down the hatches / expand cycle more often.

I'm currently trying really hard to lock down Aragon as a Catholic country and build a power-base there in my Lombardy game, for example, and it's mostly so I can avoid the same kind of thing Trace just encountered. I already got caught in the middle of a Holy War between Aquitaine and All The Muslims while trying to press a de jure claim, and that was quite enough excitement for me.

Yeah if you could do that as the Zunbils that'd be great.

As it is you can get your third holy site and then the fourth and fifth are Baghdad and Cairo respectively.

So it's either WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and build a shit load of temples or remained unreformed well past when you should. You do get the benefit of Ultimogeniture so your kingdom doesn't break apart, but boy does that lead to a lot of regencies.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Started up another gimmick run because a Muslim run just always peters out within a generation for me.

So anyway, I used the Ruler Designer to start up as a Nahua culture Duke under Charlemagne with the intent of basically spreading the Aztec culture far and wide before the sunset invasion actually hits.

I also decide to take the Seduction focus as part of my eugenics program. I'm aiming for cultural conversion, but spreading the Aztec genes as much as I can is something of a secondary goal and what better way to accomplish that than by fathering a whole horde of mestizos?

And then I decide to the seduce the wife of Charlemagne, my king. Charlemagne isn't exactly pleased by this, threatens to revoke my titles and I respond by having him assassinated.

Charlemagne had only one heir, about seven years old, and I take the lad under my wing and raise him in the proper Nahua manner.

Anyway, fast forward a few decades, and the Karlings are the most powerful family in Western Europe - as they so often are - and they're basically all culturally Aztec and have Aztec names and titles.

It's a rather fun kind of absurdity.

WotanAnubis on
    So decadence.

If a muslim invades another muslim of the same sect of Islam decadence should go up by ten percent for declaring the war, go up twenty percent for losing, and go down five percent for winning.

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    So sat down the other day and went "You know what, I want to boot up as someone new in CKII."

Ended up starting in 867 as the Baloch Marzopan of Saravan, Ferux Feruxid. Pretty straightforward starting goal: I start as a vassal of the Persian Saffarids, so I should free myself and my Baloch brothers from their oppression and create a free and independent Baluchistan. Pretty much went well early on: conquered Baluchistan from the inside (minus the parts held by Sindh), split the Saffarids in half between Baluchistan and Persia, then won my independence from the Baluchistan Shah (actually, his single county got conquered while I was busy revolting... eh, I'll take it).

And then I got to have one of the single most awesome characters I've ever had. Impossible to spell (or pronounce) Baloch name, but he was a zealous lunatic (while being both stressed and pneumonic he went bonkers) with a hunting dog, and it was a dog for the ages. Truly a magnificent beast that once even lead me to being able to spot the legendary white tiger while out on a hunt. When he died, it is said Allah himself wept. Our good Satrap knew that no mere burial would do.

No... instead, he had a grand pyramid erected in Sistan, honoring this most noble Hound of the Greatest for all eternity.

For he was a much, much better dog than any of the Satrap's 11ish wives (they kept killing each other, and I would promptly kill them for killing each other. It was some seriously mobius shit) were people. Still, the Satrap kept finding new wives, hoping to take his mind off the loss of his irreplaceable companion. At last, a beautiful Hashimid lass re-ignited that fire in his belly...

... and thus, his heart exploded during an episode of truly epic sex.

And yes, you heard that right: as a lunatic, you can have a great pyramid constructed as a burial for your dog.

possessed and lunatic are two of the best traits in this game -by far-

possessed and lunatic are two of the best traits in this game -by far-

Yeah. As I mentioned upthread, Possessed can lead to Jesus giving you personal instructions on running your demense and, surprisingly, they're mostly good ideas from your perspective!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    Lunatic can have you replace one of your advisors with your favourite horse :D I have had it happen both ways, when my lunatic king replaced me, his chancellor, with his favourite horse, and I had to endure as the steed was dragged into the hall, and I had to vacate my seat at the table in favour of it :(

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I have a question about alliances, since I screwed up my last game by not paying attention to them and went from being allied with France, HRE and Denmark to having no allies and being crushed almost immediately afterwards.

As I understand it, alliances are between two people rather than two nations, and the marriage holding the alliance together has to be with someone directly related to both parties. The wiki just says they have to be "close relations", so I'm not sure exactly what that implies. I know that if I marry King Bill's daughter to King Bob's youngest son (Bob Junior) they'll have an alliance, but if King Bob dies and his oldest son (Bob Senior) takes the throne then... I have no idea. Does the alliance remain via the new King's brother's wife, or is that too distant to count for the purposes of an alliance? Likewise if I marry someone to King Bob himself and he dies, will the alliance still hold through his mother? What if it was Bob's second marriage, and his heir was from his first marriage; would an alliance hold through a step-mother?

Shit be complicated, yo.

Mr Ray on
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    step-children I'm nearly certain don't count, apart from that I'm not sure enough to comment.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I think for an alliance you need...
    • For both rulers to be married to one another
    • A marriage between a ruler, their sibling, or their child in any combination (ruler+other ruler's sibling, marriage between two biological children or adopted and legitimized, marrying your kid to a ruler or a ruler's sibling, ect).
    • Be of the same dynasty
    • And I think parents also work into that equation? Can't say I have a lot of experience playing while my father is still alive as their child, and even if not then he'd be of your dynasty likely anyways. Maybe mothers are useless in this regard if they simply re-marry later in life?

However, more distant relatives and step-children absolutely don't count. Half-brothers and half-sisters do, but kids from a previous marriage that don't have any of your DNA floating around in them are useless for alliances. Aunts/Uncles/Cousins also aren't marriage-alliance material, but from being the same dynasty can become allies if you get them on a throne elsewhere.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    The reason I ask is that I can wrangle a marriage to a pretty powerful ruler, but he's 70 years old and probably about to die, so I'm not sure if the marriage will mean anything after he dies. I suspect probably not since even if they got their septuagenarian freak on, any children she had wouldn't be related to the heir.

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    From my perspective alliances seem to rarely carry over once the leader you're allied with dies. I've never known the explicit rules on it because the game isn't very clear about them, but I write it off as being a great simulation of the fickleness of real life alliances, back when no papers were signed and it was just the honor of the individuals involved.

Endaro on
    In order to be allied, you need to be either of the same dynasty, closely related or an in-law of the other ruler. If you want an alliance which persists into the next generation, you have to make sure that your heir is sibling-in-law to the foreign heir.

edited February 2015
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    The reason I ask is that I can wrangle a marriage to a pretty powerful ruler, but he's 70 years old and probably about to die, so I'm not sure if the marriage will mean anything after he dies. I suspect probably not since even if they got their septuagenarian freak on, any children she had wouldn't be related to the heir.

I once did a similar thing and there was indeed a child and it resulted in a game-over for me. Remember that if you enter into a regular marriage with a foreign ruler for the sake of an alliance, the child will remain in their court and also inherit claims on your holdings. If they get placed on the throne by a faction, they will try to press their claims against your heir. Rarely it also happens that the AI will try to press the claims of close relatives.

Platy on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Charlemagne is 75% off on steam today, I believe that's the first time it has been on super sale so I finally picked it up.

Sadly way of life is still full price

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Same here, and same basic reaction towards Way of Life not being on sale.