As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rimworld] 7 year olds can wield firearms. Biotech released!

TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
edited November 2022 in Games and Technology
Thank you @UncleSporky for a lovely writeup about the new Rimworld DLC!

Hey, is this the most recent RimWorld thread? Do we need to blow the dust off?

The game has been updated to version 1.1, and a new Royalty expansion has been released for $20.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1149640/RimWorld__Royalty/

The 1.1 update has been in the works for a short while here. The DLC seemingly came out of nowhere, and now it seems obvious the update was in preparation for/smooths over the process of integrating a new DLC.

1.1 does many small fixes and some good quality of life type things. Some of them:
New recon armor, a lighter version of the top tier armors
EMP launcher, smoke grenade launcher, smoke grenadier enemy
New animals: bison, donkey, duck, goat, goose, guinea pig, horse, sheep, yak
Barricades constructed of wood, metal or stone; and now sandbags are actually created from cloth as they should be
Low tech body part replacement: wooden hand and wooden foot
New ruins generation in maps, including pillars and pots, which can be claimed and used as free decorations
Better UI scaling
New quest tab to help keep track of things
Keywords in text in different colors to highlight important information
Streamlining for how mods are handled in a few ways

The DLC adds a new interstellar empire and a host of new features like:
Royal titles that make people haughty and proud and require more impressive rooms (essentially a longstanding feature from Dwarf Fortress)
Psychic powers: blind enemies, mind control them, block pain, buff allies, induce mass vomiting, teleport objects and people, drive enemies insane, render allies invisible
A variety of new quest types and storytelling opportunities, such as
oQIixFm.png
Mechanoid clusters: essentially mechanoid settlements that crop up and sit as a dormant threat, which allow you to approach the fight offensively instead of how the base game tends to be focused on defense
New imperial weaponry: plasma swords, electrical zeushammers, hypersharp monoswords, and psychic bladelink weapons (a lifelong bond with the weapon)
New imperial implants: neurocalculators, drill arms, gastro-analyzers, skin hardening glands, under-skin weapons, poison attacks, aesthetic enhancements, nuclear stomachs, and love enhancers
New full album worth of music by the original RimWorld musician, Alistair Lindsay

As this is brand new as of right now, impressions are a little scarce, but some people seem to be enjoying the expansion. Others grumble and see it as what amounts to a paid mod, and worry about what happens if/when free mods encroach on the DLC's territory. After all, RimWorld is a very heavily modded game. But overall it seems pretty cool and hopefully breathes some new life into the game.

Lots of mod authors are also scrambling to update their mods to be compatible with 1.1.

I'll fix this stuff below at some point:
kb_Vpz_XM.png
rimworldgame.com/
What is Rimworld?
A sci fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller.

RimWorld follows three survivors from a crashed space liner as they build a colony on a frontier world at the rim of the galaxy.

Inspired by the space western vibe of Firefly, the deep simulation of Dwarf Fortress, and the epic scale of Dune and Warhammer 40,000.

Manage colonists' moods, needs, thoughts, individual wounds, and illnesses. Engage in deeply-simulated small-team gunplay. Fashion structures, weapons, and apparel from metal, wood, stone, cloth, or exotic, futuristic materials. Fight pirate raiders, hostile tribes, rampaging animals and ancient killing machines. Discover a new generated world each time you play. Build colonies in biomes ranging from desert to jungle to tundra, each with unique flora and fauna. Manage and develop colonists with unique backstories, traits, and skills. Learn to play this deep game smoothly and naturally with our intelligent, reactive AI tutor.

Keagle, you are an avid DF player who has been disappointed by almost every other DF-like that has hit the market. Why did you buy this?
Honestly I was skeptical of this one from the get-go, and did not want to kickstart it because I have felt burned on Towns, Gnomoria, Spacebase DF-9, Castle Story and Prison Architect. Someone mentioned they picked it up so I took another look at it. I played this nonstop this weekend and it has been amazing. It is still being worked on, but there are tons of things to do. This is by far the best DF-Like I've played.

Can you describe the game based on other things?
My best description for this game is Dwarf Fortress + Prison Architect + Firefly. That's a pretty good mash up if you ask me.

What are some of the features?
The AI Storyteller

I've always thought the best part of games like Dwarf Fortress and The Sims was the stories that come out of them. That's why RimWorld is designed as a story generator. It's not about winning and losing - it's about the drama, tragedy, and comedy that goes on in your colony.

To keep things interesting, the game creates events like pirate raids, trader arrivals, and storms. But these events aren't random. RimWorld uses an AI Storyteller (modeled after the AI Director from Left 4 Dead) who analyzes your situation and decides which event she thinks will make the best story. There are several storytellers to choose from:

250px-Cassandra.png
Cassandra Classic aims to create a rising curve of tension over the course of the game. Early on, the most dangerous thing she'll do is send a psychotic squirrel after you. Later on, bands of scavengers will arrive. In the late game, look forward to combined-arms attacks from mercenaries mixed with lightning storms and crop blights. If you want a traditional tension and difficulty curve, go with Cassandra.
250px-Phoebe.png
Phoebe Friendly is for the player who just wants to build and watch a colony grow. She'll occasionally create minor disasters, but nothing that would threaten the existence of the colony. If you want a more relaxing game about growth and success, choose Phoebe.
250px-Randy.png
Randy Random follows no rules. He may give you some amazing stroke of luck, like a trader selling an advanced weapon for a low price or a group of helpful immigrants, followed by a near-unbeatable pirate attack combined with an electrical fire. If you think losing is fun, you might want to try Randy.

Deep health modeling
Wounds are tracked on each body part and will affect a character's abilities. Eye injuries make it hard to shoot or do surgery. Wounded legs slow people down. Hands, brain, mouth, heart, liver, kidneys, stomach, feet, fingers, toes, and more can all be wounded, diseased, or missing, and all have logical in-game effects. And other species have their own body layouts - take off a deer's leg, and it can still run on the other three!

You can repair body parts with prosthetics ranging from primitive to transcendent. A peg leg will get Joe Colonist walking after an unfortunate incident with a rhinoceros, but he'll still be quite slow. Buy an expensive bionic leg from a trader the next year, and Joe becomes a superhuman runner. You can even extract, sell, buy, and transplant internal organs.

A motley crew
In RimWorld, your colonists are not professional settlers – they’re survivors from a crashed passenger liner. They'll be accountants, homemakers, journalists, cooks, nobles, urchins, and soldiers.
A nobleman will be great at social skills (for recruiting prisoners or negotiating trade prices), but refuse to do physical work. A farm oaf knows how to grow food, but cannot do research. A nerdy scientist is great at research, but cannot do social tasks at all. A genetically-engineered assassin can do nothing but kill – but he does that very well.
Each character has personality traits. Neurotic colonists work faster, but are more stressed and prone to mental breaks. Abrasive characters will interact poorly and harm the mood of those around them. A nudist loves to be naked, while a cannibal gets a rush from consuming human flesh.

You’ll acquire more colonists by taking in refugees, capturing people in combat and turning them to your side, buying them from slave traders, rescuing them, or taking in migrants.

Wow, that sounds like a lot, Dwarf Fortress has intimidated me so I could never get into it, is this easier to learn?
YES! I was able to get the basics down pretty quickly, there is a built in tutorial already on some basics to keep your colonists alive, but still plenty of advanced things to do, like planning a kill-box area to better defend your colony.

pictures? PICTURES!
biggy.jpg
seascolwinter.jpg

Most likely I will be streaming this game at some point, but since there wasn't a thread I decided to get one going!
Just like DF, you will probably need to consult the wiki from time to time. It is still a WIP but has some useful info!
rimworldwiki.com/

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
TheKoolEagle on

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    As someone who always thought Dwarf fortress sounded like the coolest thing but could never figure it out, this game is the best. It's intuitive enough and has tons of complications and deep stuff to figure out.

Don't get close to the cryopods. They're dangerous.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    @TheKoolEagle Why do you never let me keep my money?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    The man who is indirectly responsible for my EVE addiction strikes again.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I learned an important lesson:
    Instructing a colonist to hunt muffalo with a knife usually ends with the colonist bleeding on the ground missing an eye.
    edit: @Brody because I love to promote awesome fun games!

TheKoolEagle on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    So my last game I learned that letting the game run while you do chores is a bad idea until you have automatic defenses setup. A lone pirate showed up, she had a pistol, a tee shirt and nothing else. Some visitors had taken her down, but everyone still died from infections, including the pirate who I had captured.

Yoshua wrote: »
    So my last game I learned that letting the game run while you do chores is a bad idea until you have automatic defenses setup. A lone pirate showed up, she had a pistol, a tee shirt and nothing else. Some visitors had taken her down, but everyone still died from infections, including the pirate who I had captured.

I always love it when you get partially naked people showing up, this menacing pirate isn't wearing any pants. I recently got a stroke of good luck and had a colonist show up and join, he was a noble meaning all he does is shoot things, hit things, or talk to people. He was completely naked sans a pistol he was wielding, and has cataracts in both of his eyes so he cannot see a thing. I imagine his hunting is more like a game of pin the bullet on the colonist.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Yoshua wrote: »

I always love it when you get partially naked people showing up, this menacing pirate isn't wearing any pants. I recently got a stroke of good luck and had a colonist show up and join, he was a noble meaning all he does is shoot things, hit things, or talk to people. He was completely naked sans a pistol he was wielding, and has cataracts in both of his eyes so he cannot see a thing. I imagine his hunting is more like a game of pin the bullet on the colonist.

So geriatric Zed got lost on the way to the Vortex bathroom?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I have heard tales of this from @Basil. I am sorely tempted by this. It's only a matter of time before I grab it.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    This game is astounding. It really is the Dwarf Fortress for those of us that were far too lazy to learn. I've never had so much fun watching an infection spread to someone's lungs and kill them.

Fiatil on
    Drake wrote: »
    I have heard tales of this from @Basil. I am sorely tempted by this. It's only a matter of time before I grab it.

You will like it.

If anyone's interested, there's a handy UI mod. It's a simple installation (drop it in the mods folder and activate it in the title screen), and adds a lot of useful features if you're playing at a decent resolution.

Going to start streaming Rimworld for anyone who wants to check out the gameplay, I am also in Vent if you want to talk about it with me while I play!

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    This game is astounding. It really is the Dwarf Fortress for those of us that were far too lazy to learn. I've never had so much fun watching an infection spread to someone's lungs and kill them.

Sounds like the game for me then. I'll have to get this!

wWuzwvJ.png
    If you watched my stream tonight thank you! If not here is a screenshot of where I left off, to give you some inspiration.
    xDnLpji.jpg

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    When you see a Colonist with a Machete and a Mortar Cannon, you just keep on walkin'.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I always loved the elaborate fortresses from Dwarf Fortress, and the incredible operations people set up, but could never get past the brick wall of the interface. This looks like JUST enough of a step up in terms of interface and visuals to make it accessible without being too simplified.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    It is a very accessible game that lends itself to some very amusing stories.

Not the deepest experience around, but still charming.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I heard about this quite a while back thanks to @EvmaAlsar and I can confirm it is incredibly fun. I found it to be a little overwhelming at first but the tutorials made the basics clear enough that learning the rest actually felt like learning rather than being penalized for not having a browser tab opened on the wiki. I understand they recently made new Biomes available now, too, which is more than enough motivation for me to dive back in as soon as I can find some time.

Highly, highly recommended for anyone who has even a mild curiosity about Dwarf Fortress but was put off due to the "graphics" or ui or whatever. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed!

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    Randy Random really had it out for me last night, I got hit by 5 besieiging pirates, one carrying a charge rifle. Seconds later, a tribe of about 6-8 warriors came to attack immediately, I only have 2 colonists who are good at shooting people/things, so I strapped them into some power armor and sent them on their way to deal with the pirates. I thought for sure I was going to lose them when one of them went down and needed to be rescued, but somehow we made it through!

Shortly after that I had yet another pirate band attack me, it would have been fine because I have so many turrets guarding my entrance they would have been chewed up, but seconds before they began their assault a solar flare came which disables all of your electric buildings.

I managed to fight them off while taking quite a bit of wounds, so hopefully tonight I can continue to stream and see what happens next!

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    I've been following development on this for a while, I'm just holding off until it's a BIT more done. I've spoiled a few games for myself by buying in too early and getting bored.

steam_sig.png
    f3rret wrote: »
    I've been following development on this for a while, I'm just holding off until it's a BIT more done. I've spoiled a few games for myself by buying in too early and getting bored.
    I would say there is a decent amount of gameplay in already, my one recommendation though is to completely ignore the spaceship building, the one time I escaped offworld it kind of killed the experience for me.

Luckily you don't have to escape if you don't want to!

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I made a new village in a hilly area and it's going much better than previously I think. Finding Steel is much easier with a lot more mountainy areas. Working on setting up hydroponics and building turreted walls for defense now. Well right now I'm at work, so I'm just dreaming of getting to do this later.

edited February 2015
    So it turns out raiders with two bionic eyes are fucking tough. He came along solo after I killed a larger group and knocked off one of my colonist's hands, one of my colonist's arms, and incapacitated another.

On the plus side, now I have two bionic eyes.

Fiatil on
    edited February 2015
    What the hell is going on here? I disappear for a few days while my wife gavr birth and this thread died? Needs more rim world! (And cute babies)

TheKoolEagle on
    I started anew since I wanted more stuff happening. This time around all beds will be made from uranium.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So it turns out raiders with two bionic eyes are fucking tough. He came along solo after I killed a larger group and knocked off one of my colonist's hands, one of my colonist's arms, and incapacitated another.

On the plus side, now I have two bionic eyes.

Jeepers, creepers ...

• SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I was just thinking the other day that a Space based Dwarf-Fort-like would be awesome. At the same time, 30$ seems pretty steep for an alpha.

I miss the good old days, where early-access version meant steep discounts. Snagged Minecraft for 5$ back in the day, similar deal for Mount & Blade.

Sceptre on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    What the hell is going on here? I disappear for a few days while my wife gavr birth and this thread died? Needs more rim world! (And cute babies)

Also holy crap!

Congratulations dude!

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    This looks like a fun game. And one squarely aimed at me, I mean Dwarf Fortress in space for those who never bothered to learn the interface? That's me, right there.

Is there a way to pass a colony on to another person? I'm remembering some of the long form Dwarf Fortress LPs (in particular, Boatmurdered) where each player would get a certain amount of time as boss, then pass the save file to the next person in line. Thought it might be fun to see something similar.

And if you've never read through Boatmurdered, you owe it to yourself to set aside some time to do so.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I suspect that you could swap save files if you had the same mod load order. I haven't seen folks doing succession games yet, though.

I need to start working on an oven for prisoner disposal after I'm through harvesting their parts. I figure that'd take one malus off the list.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Man, Henry has had an interesting life. He came to our colony via a wrecked pod, naked and barely alive. Good shooting skills, but cataracts in both eyes. He is now wearing the duster stripped off a bandit leader, from a fight where he was wounded; they had automatic weapons, we had one bolt-action rifle, pistols, a knife, and one turret. Then he had an arm shot off by an ally on a hunting expedition, which has now been replaced by a prosthetic bought from slavers. Oh, and he has a green thumb.

Which is appropriate, since he really only has the one thumb.

But seriously, this game is on to some pretty rad stuff. I'm struggling with getting the cash and/or metal resources to keep going, but this draws on a ton of things from all the games in the thread title, then implements them well or improves them a bunch. Just wish it wasn't so easy to shoot allies; they seriously light each up all the time, which is annoying when you're hitting your allies more than the stuff you want to kill.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Sceptre wrote: »
    I was just thinking the other day that a Space based Dwarf-Fort-like would be awesome. At the same time, 30$ seems pretty steep for an alpha.

I miss the good old days, where early-access version meant steep discounts. Snagged Minecraft for 5$ back in the day, similar deal for Mount & Blade.

Exactly why I haven't bought it.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Using molotovs against skittering megascarabs in an enclosed space is not just a bad idea, it's pretty much the worst idea.

So much fire.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    See you keep implying that is not the result you hoped for, and I think you need to realign your expectations. There can never be enough fire.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Fire is awesome when it's all over those guys over there.

It is less awesome when it is all over those guys over there, and your guys over here, and the clothes they are in. With nowhere to run.

Oh, and the megascarabs aren't actually dying to the fire, so now your people are burning to death while getting eaten by giant space beetles.

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    It's pretty crazy how much of a mod base this already has.

Kinda wish there was more of a social heirarchy though. Some kind of worker - sector manager - colony governor kind of order, and a command structure for the military side of things.

I'd almost be tempted to write a mod changing the whole thing to British colonialism, but it'd be a lot of work for something that's still iterating through alpha versions.

Suriko on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    This looks really neat and I'm looking forward to playing it. I almost ordered it, but then I saw in their FAQ:
    Will I get a Steam key?

– It depends when you bought the game. If you bought the game on or before November 4, 2014 you will get a key when the game is released on Steam. If you bought the game after that, I can’t promise anything.

When is RimWorld coming out on Steam?

– When it’s ready. There’s no anticipated release date. It is greenlit, though, so it will be on Steam – some day.

and I think I have enough games to wait till it's there.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited February 2015
    Gonna try to dig up something to mod the absurdly useless mortar accuracy. 250 steel to build one of these things, and I built four to blow up a single stationary chunk of ship.

It's been a week, and I've only hit it four times. That's just stupid. The shots seem to place completely randomly within a a VERY large bubble, which means the chance of hitting one of 6-8 blocks in the middle of probably 200-300 blocks is really shitty. And it pisses off the gunners, because it takes so long to aim and fire the things that they get something like 3 shots off before I have to undraft them so they won't starve or go crazy.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited February 2015
    Hooray! I found out that you can sell prisoners to slave traders. I'll take that 750 silver, I hope they don't mind that I just took out one of his lungs.

Fiatil on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hooray! I found out that you can sell prisoners to slave traders. I'll take that 750 silver, I hope they don't mind that I just took out one of his lungs.

Look, the craigslist add clearly stated "as-is". I think you're in the clear. Caveat emptor, and all that.