As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a New Laptop

radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
Alright, this is so beyond my wheelhouse it's not even funny.

I have the absolute worst luck with laptops and I know pretty much nothing about them other than what I want to do with them. It seems like every few years they die, break, or just crap out on me. I've always gone with something solid and a purchase born out of necessity rather than something I really had an opinion on. Last year we bought a HP Pavilion from a friend because my last laptop was dying. This "new" one has a crap battery and it doesn't support games well at all.

I'm looking for something that won't (hopefully) die or be obsolete within the next two years that I can play games on (Guild Wars 2 is probably the most demanding game it'd be used for) and use to watch things like Netflix and Hulu. I'd also like to use this for work, so it needs to be something with a decent battery life that would travel well when needed; that also means it needs to have a Windows operating system.

I've currently got a 14" screen but I'd like something a little bigger. Max price range would be around $1200.

I've been looking around online but I honestly feel so overwhelmed with choices and reviews that I'm not sure what to do so I'd like some suggestions!

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    You should have some really great offerings available at that price range, but I think 2-3 years is a pretty average life-span for a laptop. Some will last longer, some will last... Not longer? Shorter? Whatever.

I think both MSI and Lenovo have some good offerings in that price category. Most appear to come with a 17.3" screen, and GTX 870M graphics cards...
    Somthing quick I've found, should be pretty kick ass. As a gamer, I'm going to put my own biases into my suggestions. Other people might have other recommendations.

Keep in mind, the larger, brighter, and higher resolution the screen, the harder it will be on battery life. You may have to strike a bit of a balance. What is best in life, radroadkill?
    isedtsng0jog.jpeg

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I have a lenovo Y510-which is now the Y50 series, that I got about a year ago and really like. I haven't done anything super intense on it gaming wise-Probably Dota 2 is the most strenuous- so I can't tell you where exactly it caps out as far as performance goes. Nice thing is they are 15.6'' models, since I find the 17'' laptops to just be too big to haul around.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular

Yup, that's a great buy. Just make the recovery media ASAP, Asus has a dumb recovery process if your hard drive fails and you need the media.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Asus laptops are great. I have a step or so below that one and have had no issues even playing newer games (probably Total War: Rome II being the most recent release) on high or sometimes max settings. it doesn't even get all that hot when gaming (though I still have a lap fan to dissipate the heat away from my lap).

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    Looks like we're actually going for the ASUS. It was one we were looking at originally!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Not quite the same since that one is about two hundred bucks cheaper so thanks @chrishallett83 for the heads ups.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    No worries! My consultancy fee is $400, by the way.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I have a lenovo Y510-which is now the Y50 series, that I got about a year ago and really like. I haven't done anything super intense on it gaming wise-Probably Dota 2 is the most strenuous- so I can't tell you where exactly it caps out as far as performance goes. Nice thing is they are 15.6'' models, since I find the 17'' laptops to just be too big to haul around.

I have the 410 and its been fine. Can play Dishonored with high settings.