As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mechwarrior Online] The FWL doesn't pay enough to stay here (THREAD OVER!)

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Mute isn't really a solution.

How is mute not a solution? Are they going to somehow go through the mute to verbally lambaste you?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Another issue with VOIP is that female players end up with a lot of extra unwanted attention.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Another issue with VOIP is that female players end up with a lot of extra unwanted attention.

I don't really see how that works as an argument against VOIP, though.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Mute isn't really a solution.

How is mute not a solution? Are they going to somehow go through the mute to verbally lambaste you?
    Asshole continues to asshole to everyone else. Mute is ignoring the problem, which works I'm the short term but not long term.

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Voip is nice and all, but a command wheel with precanned recordings would be useful for those that dont like to chat.

kx3klFE.png
  • jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    In the long term they are muted by everyone.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, on non-VOIP issues, is anyone as worried as I am that the Canyon-themed CW map will be as non-JJ unfriendly as the normal map?

• jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    Eh, I like that aspect of it. It makes JJs somewhat worthwhile, and there are tons of ramps and divots to climb up if you are ground bound. Whether or not they keep those areas in the CW map remains to be seen.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I love the look of the new map, but strategically it looks like garbage from a sniper/LRMer perspective just owning those canyons long clear firing lanes.

steam_sig.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Well shit, more maps with some actual color would be quite pleasant, indeed.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Why is that tree a bajillion stories tall?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Elbasunu wrote: »

In BattleTech, all tree's from Terraforming are Giant Redwoods.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2015
    I love the look of the new map, but strategically it looks like garbage from a sniper/LRMer perspective just owning those canyons long clear firing lanes.

I'm inclined slightly to agree from the preview, but we'll have to wait for the map release to be sure.

Correct. Per canon, all forests are two levels tall, roughly as tall as a BattleMech. Hooray, standardization!

Also, it's not unprecedented for some trees to be effing huge.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    While more color is nice, whoever is doing the maps really needs to work on their scale cues. Both this and Veridian Bog make feel like human-scale FPS maps.

5gsowHm.png
    Syngyne wrote: »
    While more color is nice, whoever is doing the maps really needs to work on their scale cues. Both this and Veridian Bog make feel like human-scale FPS maps.

As much as I love the designs of the mechs and maps, their scaling is complete hot mess of random garbage.

steam_sig.png
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular

What did you think the Hatchetman was for?

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

I'm inclined slightly to agree from the preview, but we'll have to wait for the map release to be sure.

Correct. Per canon, all forests are two levels tall, roughly as tall as a BattleMech. Hooray, standardization!

Two levels tall is only 10 meters though. That's about a little over 3 stories tall, which isn't actually all that crazy. Battlemechs are big and stompy, but they're actually not that tall(especially when compared to most mecha).

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

Two levels tall is only 10 meters though. That's about a little over 3 stories tall, which isn't actually all that crazy. Battlemechs are big and stompy, but they're actually not that tall(especially when compared to most mecha).

I hate how battlemechs get represented as towering hulks of metal. Huge hulking mechs would be a tad impracticle.

kx3klFE.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

To fuck up the sense of scale and rob you of the feel of riding a giant robot, of course.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

Ever since Mechwarrior 3 none of the designers have been able to resist making 'Mechs like four or five stories tall instead of the canonical 2. Tiny, tiny little cars and tanks because stomp stomp stomp.

Orogogus wrote: »

Ever since Mechwarrior 3 none of the designers have been able to resist making 'Mechs like four or five stories tall instead of the canonical 2. Tiny, tiny little cars and tanks because stomp stomp stomp.

Yet at the same time... 15 story high trees.

Gaslight wrote: »

Ya. But still, 30 story trees are a thing in the real world.

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    It is really that hard to paint a height map and lay down some grass? Back in my day, we had to use level editors written by someone who had reverse engineered the game. Each vertex had to be moved by hand, uphill, both ways!

And in MWO, they're a thing on every world, everywhere.

• ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular

Only worlds with gigantic foliage are worth fighting over, duh.

8R7BtLw.png
    Apogee wrote: »

Bonus points if they were also at least at one point home to crustaceans the size of city blocks.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    most worlds have similar flora because of the use of genetically modified plants and trees used for terraforming to earthlike conditions

Buttcleft on
    It's questionable how many of the habitable planets in the BattleTech universe were terraformed and how many were just worlds that happened to already be habitable. Terraforming technology existed during the Star League era but there aren't really solid sources on how much it was used or had to be used. It was basically lost after the fall of the Star League, anyway.

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Apogee wrote: »

Bonus points if they were also at least at one point home to crustaceans the size of city blocks.

I like to imagine that Bog was the battlefield that inspired the invention of the King Crab. Only once it had been battle-tested against giant bugs was it allowed offworld to dominate the galaxy. The fallen husks of its first chitinous kills serve as monuments warning all lesser, squishy foes that would stand against it in battle.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

They are, but if you look at pictures of them, they don't look like a regular tree scaled up. The leaves don't become 'Mech-scale, the branches don't always fan out proportionally as far as a scaled up tree's would, etc...

5gsowHm.png
  • Red M3naceRed M3nace Registered User regular
    I remember when these threads were filled with salt and vitriol over the state of the game. Now we're bitching about flora and fauna.

If that's not an indication that MWO has improved dramatically I don't know what is. :P

red-m3nace.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    it irritates me on an irrational level that people are more concerned over the practicality of large growth flora than they are the practicality of giant walking bipedal robots vs just using tanks mounting the same weaponry.

Buttcleft wrote: »
    it irritates me on an irrational level that people are more concerned over the practicality of large growth flora than they are the practicality of giant walking bipedal robots vs just using tanks mounting the same weaponry.

One irrationality takes away from the enjoyment of the other.

Syngyne wrote: »

They are, but if you look at pictures of them, they don't look like a regular tree scaled up. The leaves don't become 'Mech-scale, the branches don't always fan out proportionally as far as a scaled up tree's would, etc...

To be honest I don't even see the problems people are having with the trees in the new video. They don't look noticeably scaled up to me; they look about the size of a large "normal" tree, not a towering conifer like a redwood.

Like this one, I guess?
    balboapark-16_r2.jpg

And that's maybe five or six stories tall. Eh.

Battletech tanks are bad. You...don't want to be a tank crew in this universe.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no

Well that's not giving the total picture. There are some mean-ass BT tanks with firepower to rival any 'mech of the same era and weight, and in tabletop the lower BV of vehicles makes overwhelming a 'mech force with lots of tanks a viable strategy. But it's true that they're incredibly fragile compared to 'mechs. I don't remember the actual TT rules off the top of my head but it's something like, any hit the vehicle takes at all there is a chance the entire crew dies.

It doesn't help that the tank crew is at the center of the tank so every hit is a cockpit hit

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2015

Well that's not giving the total picture. There are some mean-ass BT tanks with firepower to rival any 'mech of the same era and weight, and in tabletop the lower BV of vehicles makes overwhelming a 'mech force with lots of tanks a viable strategy. But it's true that they're incredibly fragile compared to 'mechs. I don't remember the actual TT rules off the top of my head but it's something like, any hit the vehicle takes at all there is a chance the entire crew dies.

Yup. God forbid your vehicle takes a broadside hit (which is incredibly easy) from anything. Even if the shot doesn't penetrate, there's just a straight-up chance (small, sure, but it's there) that either your crew is killed, your power plant is hit (and your crew dies in the explosion), etcetera etcetera. If you're lucky, such a hit just busts your motive system, and you lose some speed.

BT vehicles are like the biggest glass cannons you can field.

Nips on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    jjae2123 wrote: »
    Eh, I like that aspect of it. It makes JJs somewhat worthwhile, and there are tons of ramps and divots to climb up if you are ground bound. Whether or not they keep those areas in the CW map remains to be seen.

I think the normal canyon maps swings too hard in the direction of JJs, where having them is a huge benefit and not having any is a huge detriment - especially given that you don't know what map you'll be on before you start off.

I mean, consider being in an assault on the ... bottom-left-side start, IIRC. There's basically nowhere you can go that isn't a 5-minute walk to get up onto the ridges, and heaven forbid you need to get down off of them for any reason, because at that point you won't be getting back up for the entire rest of the match.