As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Perhaps an odd question... can you be divorced without being served papers?

RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
I'll try to keep this brief. My ex-wife(uhh, maybe?) is going around telling people that her and I are divorced. Now, I certainly want this to be the case. However, I have never received anything about a divorce. No papers, no paperwork, I haven't read or signed or accepted anything. I did some cursory googling, and it seems like it's not really a thing you can do(No served papers, and she knows where I lives). We were married in California, though she's moved back to Texas. We have been living apart for about three years, but we never did any legal work/paperwork/etc on being legally separated.

I don't say this in a vengeful way, but she's a very big liar. It's what caused me to leave her(well, cheating, but the lying too). She's also trying to get married very soon, and I feel like she's just hoping she can somehow get away with it if nobody think's we're married.

So, can I be divorced without having ever being notified in any way?

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    A quick google brought up something called "substituted service". that might have happened, it might not.

You really need to talk to her directly. It's not uncommon for long term separated people to say they're divorced in conversation, for simplicity's sake.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    A quick google brought up something called "substituted service". that might have happened, it might not.

You really need to talk to her directly. It's not uncommon for long term separated people to say they're divorced in conversation, for simplicity's sake.

Yeah, I saw substituted service, but a court would have to be dumb, deaf, and blind to believe she made an intensive effort to try to serve me. I've lived two places in the last 20 years... At my parents(which is my mailing address, and on the marriage certificate), and with her for a while. I would talk to her, but she's blocked me on facebook, I don't know her email, or her number. I do say I'm divorced, for simplicity's sake, but she purposefully messaged my mom on facebook, to inform me we're divorced, legally.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Maybe a more useful line of thought would be less about can you be served remotely and more about making sure you contact a lawyer to ensure your (likely) pending divorce is as equitable as possible.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    For the sake of your own financial security, I would say you should initiate formal divorce procedures yourself.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just easier for her to say you two are divorced than "Separated for three years" since that just begs the questions of why you aren't divorced.

Though yeah, seriously, you should initiate divorce procedures yourself.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Raslin wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »

Yeah, I saw substituted service, but a court would have to be dumb, deaf, and blind to believe she made an intensive effort to try to serve me. I've lived two places in the last 20 years... At my parents(which is my mailing address, and on the marriage certificate), and with her for a while. I would talk to her, but she's blocked me on facebook, I don't know her email, or her number. I do say I'm divorced, for simplicity's sake, but she purposefully messaged my mom on facebook, to inform me we're divorced, legally.

If she messaged your mom but has you blocked (and I realize this is pretty immature, I just don't see a way around it), can you have your mom ask her for a copy of the legal dissolution of marriage, what ever it's called.
    If she can't/won't give it to you, initiate proceedings on your own.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Just get a lawyer. They will know what to do.

Make it official ASAP.

• Options
    fasterfreakfasterfreak Registered User new member
    I'm in Canada but when I got divorced my ex-husband did everything and I just received a letter in the mail saying the divorce would be final in 30 days unless I contacted the court. We'd been separated for years.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Most states allow some form of abandonment to count as grounds for divorce.

You still need to file. Marriage is, in the eyes of the US, a legal construct that binds two people together. Unless you tell the US "nuh uh," you're going to be seen as married. That prevents you from future marriages, and also allows each of you to open bank accounts in each others names.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast