As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Wednesday, February 4, 2015 - Precautions

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Wednesday, February 4, 2015 - Precautions

Precautions

Precautions

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/02/04

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• CheeseGod99CheeseGod99 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Nailed it. Also, Gabe really captured the essence of the neck waddle.

CheeseGod99 on
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    As someone who has worked as a teacher. As depictions of principals go; this is entirely accurate.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Is this in response to something?

• InsomniacFurryInsomniacFurry Registered User new member
    @CDT1985: Yeah, it's in response to something. Some kid said he was gonna use 'The One Ring' to make a classmate disappear and got suspended. The school was even called Kermit Elementary.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    The best part is that this was 100% true. I had to double check to make sure I wasn't reading an onion article

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    From google reviews of the school
    in the last week-
    Too many schools take the threat of dark magic flippantly. It's about time we have one who understands the dangers of trifling with magic rings. Sure, they may seem like a fun and innocent way to play light-hearted pranks like erasing the chalkboard mid-lesson or prowling around the cellars of the ElvenKing's Halls. But these things are a slippery slope and soon enough you're a spectral wraith riding a fell-beast to attack the city of Osgiliath and talking back to your parents.

Oh brilliant
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I needed zero context for this.

It's absolutely perfect on its own.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Just last week another kid was suspended from his elementary school for wearing an onion ring on his finger, and the security guard saw it and thought that he was gesturing with his hand as though it were the One Ring.

The Principal said that they had a zero tolerance policy on One Rings, and just the idea of attempting to bind the rings of power or accidentally attracting the attention of Sauron or a Nazgul was grounds for punishment! Ridiculous!

Donnicton on
  • sandalwoodsandalwood Cartoonist New YorkRegistered User regular
    1) The characters look amazing today?
    2) Is this real life?

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    sandalwood wrote: »
    2) Is this real life?

Since this question probably won't stop being asked:
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/texas-school-suspends-9-year-old-for-making-terroristic-threats-with-a-magic-hobbit-ring/
    A fourth grader in Kermit, Texas was suspended for making “terroristic threats” ... According to Kermit Elementary School officials, 9-year-old Aiden Steward told a classmate that he possessed a magic ring forged in Mount Doom — a fictional location from J.R.R. Tolkien’s Hobbit and Lord of the Rings series.

Supposedly he threatened to make his friend disappear, suggesting a clear lack of understanding in how the One Ring works. The school told his father they take all threats (including magical ones) very seriously.

Hevach on
  • SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I needed zero context for this.

It's absolutely perfect on its own.

Oh it's great regardless, but I still would have been curious what the inspiration was.

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    As soon as I saw this story, I knew Gabe and Tycho would have a field day with it :p.

This is JUST as good, if not better than I was expecting. Bravo good sirs... Bravo!

• SIXytSIXyt Esq STLRegistered User regular
    with quotes like this I can't take it as serious news '''I assure you my son lacks the magical powers necessary to threaten his friend’s existence,” he added. “If he did, I’m sure he’d bring him right back.'''. I'm surprised it wasn't followed up with a 'Probably'

• hateseededhateseeded Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    context or not, this comic actually whiffed for me almost entirely until I got to "baleful eye".

Mike's art keeps getting better and better, but the Jerry-factor remains the crucial ingredient.

hateseeded on
    I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-a to chimpanzee.
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    sandalwood wrote: »
    2) Is this real life?

Since this question probably won't stop being asked:
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/texas-school-suspends-9-year-old-for-making-terroristic-threats-with-a-magic-hobbit-ring/
    A fourth grader in Kermit, Texas was suspended for making “terroristic threats” ... According to Kermit Elementary School officials, 9-year-old Aiden Steward told a classmate that he possessed a magic ring forged in Mount Doom — a fictional location from J.R.R. Tolkien’s Hobbit and Lord of the Rings series.

Supposedly he threatened to make his friend disappear, suggesting a clear lack of understanding in how the One Ring works. The school told his father they take all threats (including magical ones) very seriously.

Before I read the story, I thought it maybe it was a response to a species of bullying, which at least would have been reasonable to take action on. But nope, "terrorist threat." /facepalm

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Soul SanctumSoul Sanctum Registered User regular
    PA - Parenting Arcade
    Tune in next Friday when we MIGHT have a comic about video games.

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Uh, dude, there was one just on Monday? I think maybe you're going overboard here?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    PA - Parenting Arcade

ha!

they should make LoTR video games one day

I'm sitting on a gold mine with that idea!

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    My favorite part of this story:
    The family moved to the school district just six months ago, but it's the third time the nine-year-old has been suspended, the Odessa American reports.

The child was suspended the first time for referring to an African American child as black. His second suspension came after he brough his favorite book to school, called "The Big Book of Knowledge." The popular children's encyclopedia had a section on pregnancy with a pregnant woman in an illustration.

SIXyt wrote: »
    with quotes like this I can't take it as serious news '''I assure you my son lacks the magical powers necessary to threaten his friend’s existence,” he added. “If he did, I’m sure he’d bring him right back.'''. I'm surprised it wasn't followed up with a 'Probably'

If I were that father, I'd be cracking wise too. Probably practicing for the show he plans to deliver at the next school board meeting. The sheer absurdity of the situation means the only way to speak of it and not come off as a record breaking douchenozzle is to embrace the absurdity of it all.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    But, he was destroyed. Sauron was destroyed!

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    PA - Parenting Arcade

too bad you can't get refunds on used PAs! so sad.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    Xaquin wrote: »
    PA - Parenting Arcade

ha!

YEAH!

You know the Olsen Twins! They TOTALLY had these video games right! That means the Olsen Twins are video games!

Tangential connections are so boss!! HAHAHA! HAHA! HA!

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    why not just get those giant eagles to fly over and drop the damn ring into Mt. Doom?

seriously Gandalf? hires a fucking midget? to walk the whole goddamn way there? past like, 3 armies of fucking orcs and undead and shit?

Gandalf the Grey more liek Gandalf the Stupid

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    oh and, the art is looking just amazing lately. go Mike.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Man, if that's a terroristic threat, then Reading Rainbow must be some sort of ISIS propaganda, because there is all sorts of make-believe going on in those shows.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    That must have been an interesting PTA meeting.

"Sit DOWN, Legolas!"

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    NPR has been having a couple of shows of theirs talk about how we may be overcoddling children. Like there is this blind dude that learned to use echolocation to see. Like when he is using it he is literally using the visual part of his brain to see what is around him. And he began teaching other kids this too because the older you get the harder it is to learn. But in order to get them to learn he had to get them to rely on themselves and learn to do things without a guide. Some even call what he does bullying.

I am no fan of the 'in the good ol days kids had to struggle and it gave them hair on their chests' bootstrapping style parenting but nor do I think helicopter parents are the answer.

Okay I went off on a tangent here. Good comic!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2015
    PA - Parenting Arcade

How about on Friday you spare us all by tuning in to some other comic.

Tube on
  • ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    It's not easy being green,

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    PA - Parenting Arcade

ha!

YEAH!

You know the Olsen Twins! They TOTALLY had these video games right! That means the Olsen Twins are video games!

Tangential connections are so boss!! HAHAHA! HAHA! HA!

This comic only registers 2.67 Vidjas on the Vidjagatrometer. 2.75 at best!

Tube wrote: »
    PA - Parenting Arcade

How about on Friday you spare us all by tuning in to some other comic.

Sorry, my mistake for expressing anything other than praise for PA. In all their perfection.

I'll correct this behavior and never speak out against our immaculate comic overlords again, oh unbiased forum dictator.

• GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    The comic has always been about their lives. As they have aged and raised families, of course gaming would take more of a backseat.

Still, the fact that a student was actually suspended for making a threat with a make-believe object, is both hilarious and sad.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    This isn't even about parenting. This is about an article thats circulating about a kid who got suspended from school for telling his friend he has the One Ring and it would make his friend Disappear, which yeah thats what it does duh, then you take it off and your back again. Its a event surrounding something that many nerdy dudes, like you know the guys who make the comic, love. Its also a silly situation because it seems that school is just awful. Not every comic has to be 100% about video games, nowhere on the site does it say "Penny-Arcade the totally video game comic!" in fact go back 8-10 years and read earlier comics, many are not strictly about games at all! Some are about silly things like a card board tube samurai or even Planet Fruitbat. Just enjoy the great art and funny writing.

• breadwolfbreadwolf Registered User new member

Actually, the kid does seem to understand how the ring works. From the NY Daily News article
    Aiden claimed Thursday he could put a ring on his friend's head and make him invisible like Bilbo Baggins
    . I imagine that's supposed to be "friend's hand", because putting a ring on someone's head makes no sense at all. From reading a couple different articles it seems that he wasn't actually threatening his friend at all, it was rather meant as an offer of a super-power in a co-op make believe game.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    If the comic themes don't change over time you end up with all that trash in the regular newspaper retreading the same jokes every day.

Cabezone on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Tycho wrote:
    Even imagining something bad is wrong. We are putting the finishing touches on Hell, and we got here by trying to make Heaven. Do you people ever fucking read?

Holy fuck, those three sentences hit like a ton of bricks.

• scotty2haughtyscotty2haughty Registered User regular
    Tycho wrote:
    Even imagining something bad is wrong. We are putting the finishing touches on Hell, and we got here by trying to make Heaven. Do you people ever fucking read?

Holy fuck, those three sentences hit like a ton of bricks.

I read that and thought the exact same. Why can't anyone see that trying to create a non-violent/non-imaginative paradise has created a knee-jerk bureaucracy, all the same? And if they won't read, can't they at least watch that one episode of "The Simpsons" when they tried to create a utopia out of Springfield?

• RodjirRodjir Registered User regular
    That school made this kid a celebrity.

breadwolf wrote: »

Actually, the kid does seem to understand how the ring works. From the NY Daily News article
    Aiden claimed Thursday he could put a ring on his friend's head and make him invisible like Bilbo Baggins
    . I imagine that's supposed to be "friend's hand", because putting a ring on someone's head makes no sense at all. From reading a couple different articles it seems that he wasn't actually threatening his friend at all, it was rather meant as an offer of a super-power in a co-op make believe game.

Well, that context doesn't even make it sound like a threat anymore, it was an offer. Kid was trying to motherfucking share and got suspended for it.