As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Discuss National Infrastructure And Also Kirby In The [Nintendo] Thread

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Yo

This was a great thread

With the exception of Dying Light I've been playing the Wii U exclusively for like a month now and it's been rad

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I would say that most people probably don't put down a book during a really tense scene unless they have to

but if it's mid chapter and the protagonist is just getting a coffee or something yeah I will put a bookmark in there

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i am updating hyrule warriors so i can play as tingle.

What a life.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Rehab wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I have felt tons of tension reading books.

Despite them being text on a page that I can put down or even read ahead with.

The limited saves tension argument holds no water with me.

I had to go back to this because its an argument that doesn't actually work.

If you're reading and things get tense for the main character and you put down the book mid sentence, you break yourself of that world and the stressful situation that was created evaporates moments after you stop reading. If you pick it back up to read three days later it won't be tense so much as jarring. Had you read that entire chapter or section in one go you would have remained immersed in that world and would have gained more for not taking yourself out of it when it was convenient for you.

Books section themselves off very deliberately and for various reasons just as much as games do, you just obviously have more agency over what gets read and when.

Actually the tense moment would keep coming up in my head while not reading and I'd keep thinking about it so nah.

Inquisitor on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    oh!

the new guy is inquisitor

inquisitor why did you change your face

edit I mean it is a good new face but you were a stranger for a minute there

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    actually thinking about it I almost never put a book down at the end of a chapter because they often end on a cliffhanger for the next one

PNk1Ml4.png
    why can't i turn into a dragon in every video game? does it really break the game's immersion if suddenly i'm a modern war dragon?

I don't think it does.

Seriously i would buy this game so hard.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    oh!

the new guy is inquisitor

inquisitor why did you change your face

Because I stopped playing both Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4 The Golden without really getting into either very much so rocking the Kanji avatar felt wrong.

And because I am on an old mech kick right now.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I hate restricted saves. If being a Sierra game kid taught me anything, it was that you make saves all the time with very detailed save names and never save over old saves.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    what is "putting a book down"?

Kilroy wrote: »

they mean turning your kindle off

2x39jD4.jpg
    edited February 2015
    I want a kindle but in the shape of a codex with physical pages I can flip but the text of those pages can change based on the ebook what is loaded

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    Kwoaru wrote: »

they mean turning your kindle off

oh you mean finishing a book

• RehabRehab Registered User regular

Properly executing a headshot or fatality.

NNID: Rehab0
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Physical books 4 lyfe

F83t83L.png

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Are there any e-readers that track your eye position and autoscroll the pages for you? Because I would be down for that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I will say this:

I don't think I've ever played a Zelda game past the original where the save system was a detriment to my ability to pla it, and I've been able to appreciate the way that memory limitations were incorporated into the design of the games. The way the 3-day reset worked in Majora's Mask? Loved it. Made saving an act of punctuation, sort of codifying the end of a cycle in the ability to turn off the game. Just like a chapter in a book, really, or the save room in a horror game, or reaching the end of a level. You could get back to where you were before very, very quickly after you made a certain amount of progress.

Similarly I loved the save statues in Skyward Sword, because it created a very different sense of exploration and acted as a throughout-the-game warp point system. There was nothing about that structure I didn't like.

The new save system in Majora's Mask is also very interesting in the way it no longer anchors you directly to the 3-day cycle for your saves. The cycle itself is no longer used to punctuate the flow of how the player interacts with the game, removing it from primacy in where you are when you turn the game on, so that the cycle is much mor of an endless, looping thing that you ride no matter what.

Just one more week, guys

I'm pretty hype

dN0T6ur.png
    for the record, I was making a joke about how I tend to read books straight through in one go, not a joke about not knowing what a book is

F83t83L.png

Get out of my sight

dN0T6ur.png
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    If you don't want to save scum... Don't save scum.

This is my issue when I get down to it

Just like I got in a huge fight with people about the huge amounts of sidewuests in dragon age inquisition, here's my big problem with this idea:

If you don't want to, you can just not.

I cannot save anywhere in a game that doesn't give me the option. YOU CAN, however, only save in certain spots or whatever rules you want if that makes the game better for you.

If you feel it increases tension, don't abuse the save system.

But don't restrict it for people whod rather it be on there.

I don't think the 'real' problem is that there are a shit-ton of sidequests in Inquisition, even if that's the reason people explicitly state. If there were the same number of sidequests but they were all engaging and written with a similar level of care that, say, the
    creepy haunted mansion in the Emerald Graves area

was, I doubt anyone would be complaining about the volume of content. A bigger issue is that a good chunk of the sidequests were mostly fluff, without much contribution to world-building or character development. They didn't tell you anything interesting about the state of the world, and felt more like a laundry list of stuff to do. This flaw becomes more obvious for people who like to 100% a game (I'm not one of those), so the toothless nature of the quests becomes even more annoying as they slog through ALL of them. So it feels like there are 'too many' quests even though it might be more properly stated as 'too few meaningful quests.'

Physical books 4 lyfe

I love the form factor of physical books but ebooks are just so much more convenient

there has to be a way to split the difference

PNk1Ml4.png
    Are there any e-readers that track your eye position and autoscroll the pages for you? Because I would be down for that.

Oh man this would mess me up real bad, my eyes are constantly skipping down the page by accident and I already miss paragraphs of stuff the first time I read any book

2x39jD4.jpg
    -Tal wrote: »
    I want a kindle but in the shape of a codex with physical pages I can flip but the text of those pages can change based on the ebook what is loaded

Also the number of pages changes based on the size of the book?

You're basically looking for a hard light hologram, here, or else a set of self-arranging molecules that can be held to certain patterns with electrical currents

dN0T6ur.png
    Wyborn wrote: »

Also the number of pages changes based on the size of the book?

You're basically looking for a hard light hologram, here, or else a set of self-arranging molecules that can be held to certain patterns with electrical currents

yeah

yeah!

PNk1Ml4.png
    Physical books 4 lyfe

I love the form factor of physical books but ebooks are just so much more convenient

Yeah, the feeling of actually turning a page is really the only thing physical books offer that keep me buying them over a kindle or something

But man, it's enough

Something like you were suggesting, where it's a good facsimile of that experience with the convenience of an ebook, sounds like the platonic ideal for books

Wyborn wrote: »
    F83t83L.png

Get out of my sight

What'd I ever do to you, man?

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    the dark side of being able to save anywhere is that you can actually put yourself in a worse position that way

there's a cyberdemon ahead and I only have two rockets left

I got and used all the green herbs and then saved now I can't heal

You mean not everybody has at least 5 save slots in rotation at all times?

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Too many quests.

Too many quests...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

@Mr. G pull the trigger! PULL THE TRIGGER!

dN0T6ur.png
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Oh my god that save argument

can we please talk about LoL's female character designs instead?

sig.gif
    SimBen wrote: »

Is there really a conversation to have about LoL's female character designs

They're mostly awful with some very good exceptions

Physical books 4 lyfe

Yeah, the feeling of actually turning a page is really the only thing physical books offer that keep me buying them over a kindle or something

But man, it's enough

Something like you were suggesting, where it's a good facsimile of that experience with the convenience of an ebook, sounds like the platonic ideal for books

I believe there's some research suggesting that the physical sensation of holding a book and turning pages helps people recall information from it

PNk1Ml4.png

most of them are bad, a couple are okay

Also Tingle's weapon is a balloon. this is everything i wanted.

Is there really a conversation to have about LoL's female character designs

They're mostly awful with some very good exceptions

Let's not actually talk about it, I was doing a thing.

sig.gif
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular

If we didn't get through it in one go we would have lost our progress Simben.

NNID: Rehab0
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    the dark side of being able to save anywhere is that you can actually put yourself in a worse position that way

there's a cyberdemon ahead and I only have two rockets left

I got and used all the green herbs and then saved now I can't heal

You mean not everybody has at least 5 save slots in rotation at all times?

I've never understood this

But then I've never once had a save corrupt on me or anything in the 20+ years I've been playing games with save systems

edited February 2015
    I don't save scum

one save; slot 1

I just want to reload from it sometimes you know

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    oh man the song for the adventure mode map is delightful. it's this happy tube with this really sad undertone thing going on.

I usually keep to a single save file unless I suspect I'm about to step over a point of no return or make a decision that'll alter the outcome of the game and will want to return and see the other way later on.

Call it leftover sibling save file politics. I had my slot and that was it.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.