As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Fanda wrote: »
    W4kVor8.gif

Fantastic work, wilting!

Yay! I'm so happy.

wilting on
  • fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    This is like the first half of a horror novel where everything is going great and the sense of doom just keeps increasing.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    The only question that remains is will he run out of funding before he runs out of bodies?

Edit: Err...applicants.

Mvrck on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    So since I only just found out about this thread is it too late to put my hand up for the muscle buttering? I mean alien killing?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    So since I only just found out about this thread is it too late to put my hand up for the muscle buttering? I mean alien killing?
    If there's not space right now, you can probably just wait a week and if you can climb over the mountain of corpses to get here then there should be a few slots open at that time.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    If there's not space right now, you can probably just wait a week and if you can climb over the mountain of corpses to get here then there should be a few slots open at that time.

Channeling your inner WW1 general, aye captain?

steam_sig.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    TeeMan wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »

Channeling your inner WW1 general, aye captain?
    I just shoot throw smoke grenades at whoever the director tells me to.

cB557 on
  • FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular

I'll be delighted to add you to the list! It's grown quite lengthy, but with North America and Asia coming online over the next 2-3 months, we're going to have a lot of positions to fill.

This is easily the most fun I've had following an LP so far, @Fanda. Keep up the great work!

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2015
    iGXkWGi.pngHaus Von Trapp, this is Interceptor-2. I'm picking up a new contact.

Hnzz2bv.png

Copy, Interceptor-2. Chase that Scout down.

iGXkWGi.pngIt's ... uh ... not looking very Scout-like.

jfxAVAY.png

iGXkWGi.pngAlso, it's coming straight at me.

Even better. Put a missile up its tailpipe, we'll look it over on the ground.

iGXkWGi.pngB-but ...

Hesitation is death, Interceptor-2. You're cleared to engage. Get cracking.

iGXkWGi.pngRoger that.

Fanda on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I'd also like to sign up for future service/horrible death

El Skid on
  • Oh My GodOh My God Registered User regular
    ... Right. Looking like EvmaAlsar is going to be CAG by default.

We'll make sure the buffet at your wake is impressive, Mantis.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    God speed LT. MechMantis.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    Oh man, my hatred for Barns is real, as I actually grew up in one (was a house that was originally a barn), and it was nothing but cold, smelly, and a pain in the ass to keep clean. Burn barn burn.

Vechloran.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    :(

Ours is not to reason why...

edited February 2015
    So. Spoilers for those who want to know some meta-knowledge.
    I could be going up against one of two things right now, neither of which actually pose a threat since the Avalanche outranges them:

The first is my preferred target right now, a Supply Ship. This would tell Fanda that there is an Alien Base either under construction OR completed in that region due to the low altitude. They also are a lot easier to kill than Terror Ships, taking one less Avalanche hit to down, and furthermore having a weaker weapon at a shorter range.

Second option is the Terror Ship. These are harder to kill, and have a bigger gun. Fanda would much rather me kill one of these, since it means he WON'T have to deal with a Terror Mission for awhile. The ground mission would be scarier because we could be facing Cyberdiscs (the Sectoid Terror Unit), but the main advantage of a Supply Ship recovery mission is made moot by the fact that we cannot use the loot we'd get from one.

Of course if I'm armed with Stingrays or GOD FORBID a Cannon I could be in some trouble, since two hits from a Supply Ship or one unlucky hit from a Terror Ship will bring me down.

EDIT: Also of note, there is basically a 0% chance I will down a Terror Ship by myself when armed with all Avalanches. I'd need EvmaAlsar to pump some more missiles into it.

MechMantis on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »

I'll be delighted to add you to the list! It's grown quite lengthy, but with North America and Asia coming online over the next 2-3 months, we're going to have a lot of positions to fill.

I would like to request that you use the name "Morning Butter"

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited February 2015
    Seriously though.

CSMORgt.jpg

An unstated bonus of basing X-COM out of Europe? It is so easy to find amazing catering. We'll remember you in style, friend. Go not gently into that Danger Zone, but know that we'll be eating crab cakes and stuffed olives in your honor while you do.

Oh My God on
    Man fuck that shit I plan on coming home alive.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

Why are you here.

MechMantis wrote: »
    And I planned on being an astronaut. But here we are, in the now, where there are Evil Space Aliens, all launches have been cancelled for the foreseeable future and instead of going to Low Earth Orbit, I'm smithing Org Charts and planning tastefully understated life celebrations for heroic martyrs fallen in defense of Earth. You, on the other hand, very soon you're going to be able to fit inside of a shoe box.

We all have our crosses to bear.

Because I am a badass that's why.

edited February 2015
    For my first action I want to scream and charge the nearest alien in melee.

Don't give me anything expensive.

Morninglord on
    Well it'd cost 1260 dollars for you to achieve your dream.

That's doable.

iGXkWGi.pngHoly shit! It just took off like a shot!

KLusY7d.png

iGXkWGi.pngContact lost. I've never seen anything move that fast, Haus Von Trapp.

Copy, Interceptor-2. Baske is tracking it on terrestrial radar now.

sFgg0Az.png

iGXkWGi.pngShould I pursue?

Negative. It just left the atmosphere. Come on home, Lieutenant.

That there was a Terror Ship, since Supply Ships have a top speed of 3200.

This could be bad news bears.

*scrunches up piece of paper* Well that's one letter to grieving family members that I'll have to do over

steam_sig.png
  • HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    Why? Just toss some white out on the dates and it'll be good as new. We're going to need them eventually, you know.

steam_sig-400.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Doesn't matter since any information on them is going to be redacted on the way out anyway.
    The family will be luck if the recently deceased's name is left legible.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    As far as their next of kin know, XCOM personnel all died in unfortunate "training accidents."

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Tell me that the caterers were already paid, and that MechMantis surviving doesn't mean we have to go right back to standard cafeteria fare.
    Has anyone else noticed the meatloaf has been looking a lot more grey ever since that first mission?

I understand cutting costs, but really? Tofu meatloaf?

Just keep telling yourself it's tofu. It's probably best that way.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Thankfully, the funding restrictions should mean that sectoid stew is not on the menu...right? Please be right...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    edited February 2015
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Thankfully, the funding restrictions should mean that sectoid stew is not on the menu...right? Please be right...
    We can't sell the corpses we recover, storage space is limited, and since we're not dissecting them for SCIENCE!, what do you propose we do with the corpses?

That said, no, Sectoid Stew is not on the menu. Generally speaking, we fry sectoids, toss them in a spicy sauce and serve them with a side of blue cheese dressing and some celery.
    What? You thought those were buffalo wings? On our budget? Ha...

Stewing them just doesn't work well for some reason.

see317 on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Stewing would work better for Mutons anyway; the prolonged cooking time softens up the tough meat and lets it soak in the flavor.

Elderlycrawfish on
    Careful, you don't want to give away all the cooking secrets.
    Just think how happy people will be when we start putting "lobster" on the menu. Sure, there'll likely be a lot less people to feed then, but they'll all have that happy "thousand yard stare" look about them as they mechanically shovel perfectly cooked and buttered "Terran lobster" into their mouths

What did he order?

The special? The sp-- that's what I ordered! Change my order to the soup!

edited February 2015
    I'll eat anything.
    Hell if I kill anything I'll eat that.

They say the brightest burn the shortest.

I'm gonna go up like a firework.

It would probably be a good idea to put a live grenade in my other hand. Dead mans trigger.

I'm really looking forward to my appearance.

If I end up with more than one screenshot I'll be fairly disappointed.

In the unlikely event I actually manage to kill anything I'm gonna be all "What do you mean I'm not dead yet? Try harder!"

Morninglord on
    Eating a cyberdisc might prove to be a bit difficult.

edited February 2015
    Eating a cyberdisc might prove to be a bit difficult.

Not as difficult as passing it a few hours later though.

see317 on