As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Western Animation] Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey...Awoo-oo!

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
edited December 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
Animation is rapidly displaying sequential images to produce the illusion of movement.

Animexample3edit.png -> Animexample.gif
My mind is blown!

Forms of Animation

Traditional

Your basic "draw lots of pictures and get them flickering" method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhCWmIu1H_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBgghnQF6E4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3JGv_tRSw

Stop Motion Animation (Claymation)

Instead of drawings, pictures are taken of live props that are slowly adjusted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7vZXjmtWFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jvOTsi3i64

Computer Generated Images (GCI)

Actually similar to Claymation, in that you have models and you change their appearance from frame to frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo_8g9wpoQc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPW3mvAN0Rc

Or look suspiciously like Claymation if that's your fancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cQgQIMlwWw

"Flash" Animation

Another sort revolving around the computer, but mainly for two-dimensional appearances. Co-incidentally, can one-for-one replicate the traditional method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZiB_S9VpiU

Mechanical Animation - Animatronics, Puppetry etc.

This one is debatable, as you are just filming props moving in real time, but it has a long history of being produced alongside the other forms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMEuEF9-UbU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhKVLNqtK9U

And of course, it's possible to blend these different methods together!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTBJobqIcBs

Now, just about every country in the world has produced animation at one point or another, even Best Korea! However due to reasons, this thread shall be mainly for animation originating from Europe and the Americas, and definitely not southeast of Vladivostok, west of Midway or north of Manilla.

The Players

Disney

Disney-positions-itself-as-the-new-tentpole-power-house.jpg

Going strong for 85 years with an aggressively wholesome image. Famous for its fairy tale stories and other theatrical movies, as well as their long lasting characters.

Works of Note: Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Silly Symphonies, Snow White, Pinnochio, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Wreck-it-Ralph, Frozen, Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls and about a hundred other things

Pixar

pixar-animation-studio-logo.jpg

Disney's most famous Subsidiary right now. Single handedly popularised CG Movies for better or worse. Known to be super influential: My own observation is that 80-90% of new stuff at Disney World is Pixar themed.

Works of Note: Luxo Jr, Toy Story, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, WALL-E, Up, Inside Out

Warner Brothers

warner-bros-1.jpg

Disney's first real rival. While Disney was wholesome, Warner Brothers was more slapstick and adult themed. Hasn't made nearly as many theatrical films. Has a lot of fingers in the superhero pie right now

Works of Note: Looney Tunes, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn, Speedy Gonzales, DC Animated Universe (Batman, Superman, Justice League), Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid, The Iron Giant, Everything is Awesooome SPACESHIP!!! The Lego Movie

Dreamworks

dreamworks_logo.jpg

The other big theatrical company right now. Was in something of a rut of questionable use of star power to draw in crowds, but has recently improved. Famous for giving marketers "this face":
tumblr_l5bn88xLn21qz5euzo1_500.gif

But don't be confused, almost every animated movie poster has "this face" these days. Has recently suffered a downsizing, and a lot of shows going straight to Netflix. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Works of Note: Shrek, Prince of Egypt, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar, How to Train Your Dragon

Cartoon Network

682px-Original_Cartoon_Network_logo.svg_.png

Heir to the Hanna-Barbera throne. First channel really dedicated to cartoons, so it was inevitable they'd make their own.

Works of Note: Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd & Eddy, Samurai Jack, Johnny Bravo, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Megas XLR, Adventure Time, Regular Show, The Amazing World of Gumball, Stephen Universe, Over the Garden Wall

Adult Swim

tumblr_luqvenLwRh1r6o4avo1_500.jpg

Cartoon Network's teen/adult spinoff. Started by subverting some of the less remembered Hanna-Barbera shows, and then started producing material of their own

Works of Note: Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Harvey Birdman, Sealab 2021, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Venture Brothers, Metalocalypse, Moral Orel, Too Many Cooks

Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon_schweiz_logo.png

A major contributor to 90's animated nostalgia. More about sitcoms these days, but it has a remarkably well budgeted show in Avatar.

Works of Note: Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Ahh Real Monsters, Ren & Stimpy, Kablam!, Invader Zim, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Avatar: The Legend of Korra

Aardman

Aardman_logo.svg#.jpg

Upstart little British Claymation studio. Compared to other studios haven't produced much, but are fondly remembered.

Works of Note: Wallace & Gromit, Creature Comforts, Chicken Run, Rex the Runt

Twentieth Century Fox

20th_century_fox_logo-thumb-550x249-17964.jpg

Has its own thread, so you can read up on them there.

Now this OP only scratches the surface of stuff to look at. If you're looking for more information on what to watch, especially on less famous stuff, I recommend http://comraderecs.tumblr.com. Yes, it has its roots in 4chan - but no actual links to 4chan, so don't worry - but the recommendations are pretty solid from my perspective. Also nominate creative works I've missed out on for inclusion in the OP. Enjoy!

RMS Oceanic on

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    On a lark I set aside some time re watched a great deal of Hey, Arnold! Holy shit did a lot of the plot lines deal with some very real shit regarding everything from broken homes to alcoholism. Most of this stuff went clean over my head when I was a kid.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    On a lark I set aside some time re watched a great deal of Hey, Arnold! Holy shit did a lot of the plot lines deal with some very real shit regarding everything from broken homes to alcoholism. Most of this stuff went clean over my head when I was a kid.

I really like the episode with Helga at the Therapist.

I really dislike that we didn't get closure.

Also I think Mister Simmons (The Teacher) was Dumbledore'd a while back.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »

I really like the episode with Helga at the Therapist.

I really dislike that we didn't get closure.

Did Helga ever punch the creepy kid in glasses again after that episode?

edited January 2015
    I can't say, because while I recognise which episode is most certainly the finale, I don't think I ever watched the series in order.

Also I tweaked my video selection to evade Geofences and embedephobes.

RMS Oceanic on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    DC Entertainment to Launch Animated Movies, Shorts Around Superhero Toy Lines
    batman_unlimited_logo_jpg_w_670_h_377_crop_1.jpg
    dc_super_friends_logo_jpg_w_670.jpg
    Two toy lines based on DC Comics’ Justice League characters are being brought to life through animated movies and short films.

“Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts” will debut May 12, as a direct-to-homevideo animated movie that features Batman, the Flash, Red Robin, Nightwing and Green Arrow as they face off against super villain the Penguin, while introducing cyber animals as new foes. A sequel film will be released around the second half of 2015.

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will release the “Batman Unlimited” films on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD. In addition, WB will also produce 22 two-minute shorts around the “Batman Unlimited” toys, making them available for free on a variety of digital platforms, while a companion app also will provide young fans with access to content.

Mattel produces the Batman Unlimited action figures which are rolling out onto store shelves now, and feature a new look for the Caped Crusader.

Separately, the DC Super Friends toy line, inspired by the Fisher-Price Imaginext action figures and play sets, will be turned into a series of 15 three-minute animated shorts, also launching in the spring that will be accompanied by an app to further connect audiences to the toys and characters.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ1nVb5IMvk

there is just not enough appreciation for the amazing world of gumball

(they were having a crisis about childhood and pretending to be older)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Adventure Time oh my god
    I loved the sequence at the end - Before Anything, there was Nothing. And before Nothing, there were Monsters. Now there's a cosmology you don't often get in childrens shows.

H9f4bVe.png
  • FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Where does the AT staff get several of their VAs from? I assume all of them are kids.

Because the show has a huge habit of having the most adorable voices I have ever heard in a show, barring Bravest Warrior's Catbug. (Though now it's obvious why I thought this)

Sweet Pea truly has a child's pure innocence, and he's so pinchably cute for it.
    Which makes the implications in the episode all that much more horrible... :(

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Sweet P. Poor, poor Sweet P.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Maybe theyll pull a Naruto sweet Pea and the Lich co- exist in one body and the Lich lends him power in a pinch

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Maybe theyll pull a Naruto sweet Pea and the Lich co- exist in one body and the Lich lends him power in a pinch
    It would make sense for the Lich to do that I mean, he's been shown to play the long game, and hiding out inside an adorable giant baby man for a few decades sounds like a solid plan to convince the world that you're gone.

And what are a few decades to an immortal?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I guess flapjack is on hulu now.

Whelp no excuses gonna marathon it

edited February 2015
    I guess flapjack is on hulu now.

Whelp no excuses gonna marathon it
    WESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST

RMS Oceanic on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    It took a bit for me, but Flapjack is *amazing*

for those in the know, you get it. for those that aint, Flapjack has you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTsmDdpd3wY

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Not really any footage but a bit of info on the upcoming Frozen short

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOxSaP9orhE

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Tonight's episode of Steven Universe was intense. A+

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    Tonight's episode of Steven Universe was intense. A+

I did NOT see that coming in the episode teaser. Holy shit. All the exposition/feels.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Indeed. This Steven Universe episode turned on a dime to Real Town pretty quick. I want more. I want to know what happened in the past. I know *what* happened, but I want the context as well.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Amythest has always felt a bit tragic to me but finding out
    She was basically alone in strip mine for a lot of her life
    explains so much about her character.

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Once again I cannot express how much I love Regular Show. Also Steven Universe causes me to feel emotions. Is this normal?

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Adventure Time
    Finn's Dad is back, doing what he's best at - being a dick and lying to Finn. I liked Finn's reaction at the end which was basically "Get the fuck outta here"

I guess that means they're either keeping Finn's real origin for later or want to leave it ambiguous. Either is fine by me!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

BillyIdle wrote: »
    Once again I cannot express how much I love Regular Show. Also Steven Universe causes me to feel emotions. Is this normal?

Yes.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    That can pigs fly in reference to the cops joke in Regular Show surprised me. Didn't think they would do that in a kid's show.

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    That can pigs fly in reference to the cops joke in Regular Show surprised me. Didn't think they would do that in a kid's show.

Regular Show gets away with a lot.

PSN: BillyIdle_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmJjPuFdSpc

• FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Adventure Time
    Finn's Dad is back, doing what he's best at - being a dick and lying to Finn. I liked Finn's reaction at the end which was basically "Get the fuck outta here"

I guess that means they're either keeping Finn's real origin for later or want to leave it ambiguous. Either is fine by me!

Several thoughts;
    - Why does Finn keep having these visions? It gotten frequent that it's weird at this point
    - The origin does and explain a bit of Finn's now-conquered fear of the ocean quite a bit.

- AND WHY does my brain go immediately to sperm when is saw that comet!? I think the internet has ruined me...

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »
    Adventure Time

Several thoughts;
    - Why does Finn keep having these visions? It gotten frequent that it's weird at this point
    - The origin does and explain a bit of Finn's now-conquered fear of the ocean quite a bit.

- AND WHY does my brain go immediately to sperm when is saw that comet!? I think the internet has ruined me...
    Sperm analogy was 100% intentional. There's no way it wasn't.

And yeah, that explanation might make some sense, so if nothing else it's at least inspired by the truth.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Started watching the new turtles. Holy crap is it enjoyable .I'm in season 2 and just watched the Fungus episode. That sure was something. . .

I'm just really loving how many of the characters introduced make me go. OH YEAH I HAD THAT TOY.

steam_sig.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Adventure Time

Several thoughts;

Totally. It goes into a crevasse.

H9f4bVe.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    So, the (second) SpongeBob movie is out.

It looks kinda fun, and it looks to be the first western hand-drawn animated film (well, largely) to get a wide release since the 2011 Winnie the Pooh flick. Man, that's depressing.

At any rate, here's an inexplicable clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRH9ZB5yOZ0

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Adventure Time

Several thoughts;

And yeah, that explanation might make some sense, so if nothing else it's at least inspired by the truth.

Yeah martin surprised him self there and it echoed Finns earlier statement.

So at least that part was true.

Also now we know lived in the tree fort city at the end of Lemonhope

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmJjPuFdSpc

That was unfortunately removed in later airings and the DVDs (replacing "pissed" with "ticked").

I'm surprised they got away with this, though.

Rigby: "You're just doing this for Margaret because you like her."
    Mordecia: "Dude, it has nothing to do with that. I'm doing it because we're friends."
    Rigby: "Yeah. Friends without benefits."

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Adventure Time

Several thoughts;

Totally. It goes into a crevasse.

Oh my god.
    LSP's preggers.