As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Planning my honeymoon

SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so I'm getting married in a little under 5 weeks. We were waiting for my passport to come back from being renewed to see what our options were. Alas it still has not returned. So now it falls to me to plan for some sort of honeymoon within the continental US.

Based on the temperature that time of year, i was thinking southwest... perhaps a few days in vegas and a few days somewhere else in the area. But i'm really at a loss for figuring out exactly what.

Several things I have to consider when booking this.
1) My Fiancee has pale skin and burns easily
2) My Fiancee is my opposite physically and is totally un-athletic.
3) I have the option of using any of the resorts here as somewhere to stay http://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1504&regionName=usa since i've got time-share points from my parents
4) We're from NY in terms of any kind of travel

Any help or advice from anyone who's vacationed anywhere that time of year would be a lifesaver.

Snarfmaster on

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Couldn't you go some place cold? So then you'd have more reasons (as if you need them) to get your fuck on? Does it have to be somewhere warm? Winter resorts are an interesting place to visit. Do you need a passport to go Hawaii? I forget.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Your girlfriend's skin should have no bearing on where you go: full factor suncream will pretty much stop anything if you're diligent and not stupid (read: standing out in the 1PM sunshine)

Vegas is pretty much the opposite of romantic. Why do you not think your passport will come back in 4 weeks? Can you not get your passport rushed in order to get it back in time?

If you don't need a passport for HI (which I don't see why you would, but then again the TSA do hate you) I'd vote for there as well.

Lewisham on
  • meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You will get your passport in time. Mine hadn't started processing until I called 14 days before we left. I got it 3 days after I called. Make your plans and call them two weeks before you leave. They will rush it and you will get it in time.

I went to Cabo San Lucas for 13 days in early June and it was awesome.

meeker on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm about to move to Alaska, you could always go there. I'll even share my route across the U.S. with you.

Uncle Long on
  • JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    go skiing in Utah

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Uh, southwest? I would not suggest vacationing in the southwest US during the fall if you want to plan any sort of vacation. Why? Because the temperature is *incredibly* variable down there this time of year. For example, we had a 'coldsnap' in Baltimore where the highs went from mid 80s to low 70s. In Colorado, where my sister lives, they were in the 30s overnight with highs in the low 50s. Prior to those 50 deg. temps, they were also in the 80s.

It's a rollercoaster, temp-wise, and while it's a great place to see a lot of cool outdoorsy things, it's not great if you're looking to really plan a vacation. if you were just going to hike around mountains, sure, but not for a honeymoon. At least, not if she's unathletic and the complete opposite of you physically (assuming that means you're physically fit). You'd have to plan for both very hot and very cold, which is really a drag (especially when you get it wrong for the day/night).

Vegas is a cop-out for a honeymoon, if you ask me. I'd keep it as a last resort, unless both of you are really into the idea.

I'd say call to inquire about your passport right now, rather than wait. Can't hurt.

But other than that, you don't really list anything about what you'd like to do, or what your previous plans were. My honeymoon was camping for a week. Lots of people just go somewhere tropical like Hawaii or the Carribean. Plenty more simply take a week and go to a big city near or far, and see the sights. The US is a damn big country, and a million suggestions could all miss the mark on what you two are looking for.

Have you asked her? Where's she interested in going?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    EggyToast wrote: »
    I'd say call to inquire about your passport right now, rather than wait. Can't hurt.

They won't even take your call until 14 days prior to the date you are leaving. But call them 14 days prior and you will have it in time.

meeker on
  • PicklesPickles Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    Do you need a passport to go Hawaii? I forget.

...wow. Do people really forget that Hawaii is one of our 50 states?

Anyway, Hawaii is a great honeymoon locale... plenty of timeshare places (YMMV due to timeshare affiliations or what-not). But I don't think it's feasible because you really have to make long term reservations there to do anything cool.

Then again, mid-November is probably not the busiest tourist season so there might be more still available.

Pickles on
    edited October 2007
    Pickles wrote: »

You seem to be under the impression you still have civil rights inside airports after the creation of the TSA.

It's a perfectly reasonable question for travel in "the current climate".

Lewisham on
    edited October 2007
    Lewisham wrote: »

You seem to be under the impression you still have civil rights inside airports after the creation of the TSA.

It's a perfectly reasonable question for travel in "the current climate".

Fair enough. But the fact remains that Hawaii is a state in the U.S. and therefore one traveling from New York would not need a passport to go there. Driver's License will suffice. The only time you need a passport is when you'll be on foreign soil.

I guess I should have added the following qualifier to my first reply: My wife and I went to Hawaii for our honeymoon last summer and did not need our passports. This brings us back to the OP, as I highly recommend Hawaii over the Southwest... assuming you can still make reservations on such notice. Molokai is a great honeymoon island because it's far removed from touristy Hawaii and there's not much to do there besides the obvious.

Pickles on
    edited October 2007
    Hey Snarf, could ya give us an idea of what you were planning to do had your passport went through in time? Like the wheres, whys, whats, etc.?

I think this would be helpful in getting into your tastes, frame of mind, idea of honeymoon stuff, etc. After we understand what you two like, it'd be easier to recommend stuff. Help us help you.

Pickles on
  • slugabedslugabed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Disneyworld/Universal Studios is an option. There are a few resorts on that site in the Buena Vista/Kissimmee area. The weather is always nice with plenty of options for indoor and outdoor stuff.

They both have plenty of grown up stuff to do and places to go for nice nights out.

slugabed on
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey, thanks for the replies.

We actually have already been to disney world recently, that's actually where we got engaged last year. I can't imagine going back so soon since we pretty much saw and did everything the week we were there.

Originally we Had plans for italy, specifically rome, However the short duration of our honeymoon window (7 days) and the raping the dollar is taking against the euro right now combined with the no pasport thing made it a no go.

We're mostly looking for something relaxing and entertaining to get away from everday life. She's a retail manager and will be coming back to the joys of the holiday season in retail. We've been living together for about a year now, this honeymoon isn't really about "getting our fuck on" as someone so nicely put it...lol.

The variable temperatures in the southwest do worry me a tad.

Snarfmaster on
  • KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    How about something nice and relaxing in the North East? I hear places like Vermont and Maine are quite nice that time of year. You could even go to Montreal which I hear is also very nice and not far from that area. Probably quite cool in terms of temperature but I imagine still nice.

You'd need a passport but really, you should have one anyway. Always a good bit of documentation to have.

KMFurDM on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you were just planning on seeing the sights in a city, I'd suggest perhaps Boston or Chicago. Since both have mass transit (especially boston), it makes it easy to fly in, get around, see a lot of cool things, without stressing over it. My wife and I did Boston for 4 days a few Thanksgivings ago, and you would probably have a lot of fun there for 7 days. Some nice, centrally-located hotels at good prices as well. I assume since you're in NY state, you've both seen NYC at least a few times.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited October 2007
    I honestly don't know what there is to do around the area, but it popped into my head and I'll just throw it out there.

Florida Keys?

No worries about variable temperatures there. But being so close to the tropics, it may be a recipe for wife sunburning...

Pickles on
  • CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I honestly don't know what there is to do around the area, but it popped into my head and I'll just throw it out there.

Florida Keys?

No worries about variable temperatures there. But being so close to the tropics, it may be a recipe for wife sunburning...

I was actually thinking the same thing. The Keys are a beautiful place. If not the Keys, what about Naples? The beach is beautiful and there are streets full of beautiful art and little things to buy, it is just a serene little place. As far as things to do -- I believe there are places to rent jet-skis and things like that. Boat tours, etc.

Along with all that, if you felt like it, there are day cruises that go out to the Bahamas early in the morning and you get to hang out there for the day and come back at night (It's only about $100) -- you could upgrade that to a 3-day cruise if you wanted, too.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
    edited October 2007

You are aware that we have suncream now? And hats?

Lewisham on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hats are a great invention.

Really you need to figure out what you want to do rather than where you want to go.

Blake T on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If you get the passport issue sorted out, my vote is cast for Australia.

Your dollar is taking a raping against ours too, but its still only US 90c - 1 USD, so you won't be hurt that bad.

And its a beautiful place. Just don't underestimate its size.

Dhalphir on