As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everyone Agrees That [Nintendo] Has Met With A Terrible Fate

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I couldn't pick my favorite Zelda game

I like 'em too much for too many different reasons

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Melding wrote: »
    Majora's mask isn't even the best zelda game, the fuck is going on here.

Its science Melding sorry

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I will not be party to this madness.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    hmm

http://codenamesteam.nintendo.com/agents/

I can't be certain but it really sounds like the lovecraft character in codename steam, your science expert, is just Dr. Venture

on the one hand that is delightful, but on the other hand that is going to completely undermine my ability to take the character's advice even slightly seriously

What's you talking ab-HOLY SHIT IS THAT RANDOLPH CARTER

I'm still pretty ehhhh on Tiger Lily but between Randolph Carter and girl Zorro there are some good choices in there

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Wind Waker is my favorite but if your down with MM I don't mind

They both do an incredible job of actually making me want to smash the villian's head in if it means saving all these nice people, which is getting weirdly rare in newer games

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Here I got ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRDO3l1Eiuk

• Options
    Me and @SilverWind know a guy who's pretty into the CD-i Zeldas with no irony whatsoever

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I will not be party to this madness.

That can be arranged. Just tell us why you resigned.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Here I got ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRDO3l1Eiuk

No Link

Dodongo bombs are the gateway drug

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Me and @SilverWind know a guy who's pretty into the CD-i Zeldas with no irony whatsoever

WE ARE JUDGED BY THE COMPANY WE KEEP

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I stole this line from someone here on the forum but
    I save the world in the other Zelda games because that's what you're supposed to do
    I saved those people in Majora's Mask because I wanted those people to be okay

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Majora's mask isn't even the best zelda game, the fuck is going on here.

It does say a lot about the series in general though that I can simultaneously say that Majora's Mask is a great game but also one of my least favorite Zelda games.

Some of my least favorite, say, Sonic games on the otherhand . . . NOT great games!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    If I had to cagematch MM and WW, I think MM would win because that moon is way fucking scarier than Ganondorf on his worst day.

sarukun on
  • Options
    God I really hope we get the new Rhythm Heaven over here

• Options
    Vow and Chincy belong in a dungeon for people with bad Zeldapinions

What kind of dungeon are we talking about here now?

Fire, water, shadow, forest, ice, or some other variant?

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    If I had to cagematch MM and WW, I think MM would win because that moon is way fucking scarier than Ganondorf on his worst day.

The moon is scarier on the level of being eldritch and unknowable, sure

But Ganondorf has a very manic quality in WW that has him being his most sympathetic AND most terrifying, so really I think it comes down to taste

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Majora's Mask is really good

I experienced it secondhand as a kid, but it still managed to be really engaging when I actually got around to it years later, even though by then the graphics were dated and I remembered a lot of things

I can't think of too many games where I would go back and do sidequests again, just to see them play out, but Majora's is one.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    There was just so much sorrow in Majora's Mask. It felt so real. Like, rarely do unimportant NPCs care about Big Bad Thing because they didn't know about it or whatever. They just go on with their lives, sometimes with their own problems. Catch all my chickens, Strange Fairy Boy!

But Majora's Mask? Man, like 2/3s of the people you meet were dealing with shit. Like, the moon effin' falling was literally number two in their world because their personal problem was much more... immediate. And then when you start helping them, you find out that a lot of their problems were caused by the same dick who is dropping the moon on the place.

But not just some random dick. You knew him before he screwed with you and thought he was nothing more than an unimportant NPC in your last game. Some nobody has hurt all these people, people who can't help themselves, people who have no way of stopping the sorrow. But you can.

I may have met with a terrible fate, but let me fix theirs.

• Options
    I will say that all the stuff about Link being dead the whole time in MM makes me very interested in it from a narrative perspective

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I don't think I actually ever met the Skull Kid when I played through Ocarina of Time.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    The best Nintendo game is Metroid: Other M.

The M actually stands for misogyny and the game is a brilliant meta commentary on the state of the gaming industry.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I save the world in the other Zelda games because that's what you're supposed to do

This is actually one of the things I thought Twilight Princess was really good at, too

People talk about that game's beginning but it established, very quickly, how Link was kind of an adopted older brother for Colin and was taken care of by Colin's parents, in a way

I cared a pretty great deal about rescuing those kids

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    I don't think I actually ever met the Skull Kid when I played through Ocarina of Time.

A few Skull Kids appear in the Lost Woods. You get a heart piece for playing a song with one of them I think, or maybe an item upgrade.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    john ham's talkin' shit about MM so now I'm wanting to stream it to show him how wrong and dumb he is

twitch.tv/ssjspeedracer

This is actually one of the things I thought Twilight Princess was really good at, too

People talk about that game's beginning but it established, very quickly, how Link was kind of an adopted older brother for Colin and was taken care of by Colin's parents, in a way

imo the biggest misstep that game makes story wise is how those kids get sidelined in the latter half of the game, weird baby face notwithstanding

they get replaced by the freedom fighters who are way less interesting

• Options
    I will say that all the stuff about Link being dead the whole time in MM makes me very interestehd in it from a narrative perspective

It shouldnt because its utter horseshit

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    Moth 13 wrote: »

A few Skull Kids appear in the Lost Woods. You get a heart piece for playing a song with one of them I think, or maybe an item upgrade.

also when you're an adult they'll attack you and if you kill them you get a rupee that's worth 500

• Options
    I think it was a piece of heart.

Cutting a Skull Kid down also nets you a nice orange rupee.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    You play a memory game with two skull kids and you play Saria's Song with The skull kid for one heart piece each. Later you give that skull kid a mask because he didn't think he was scary enough.

imo the biggest misstep that game makes story wise is how those kids get sidelined in the latter half of the game, weird baby face notwithstanding

Ashei looked cool

the freedom fighters were definitely glorified sign posts though

Care Free Bomb on
    8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I am really curious to get to play MM for the first time soon, just because of how dang divisive the game is.

No idea what side of the fence I will land on, I am just darn curious.

• Options
    john ham's talkin' shit about MM so now I'm wanting to stream it to show him how wrong and dumb he is

twitch.tv/ssjspeedracer

I kind of felt it, I dunno

Like, I definitely felt the game needed that catharsis, that triumph, of bringing the kids back to Ordon. Colin's mom broke my god damn heart in that sequence. I get kind of misty just thinking about it.

But then it kind of dovetailed into trying to help Ilia, and Prince Rals, and Midna, on and on

The baton was passed a bunch of times in that game but I cared about each person the game asked me to help, and things kept getting stranger and stranger

The different ways that Majora and Twilight handled death make for an interesting contrast

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    You had to feel particularly bad for the Zora Prince in Twilight Princess.

He got dealt a rather shitty hand.

• Options
    his mom was super hot

let's fuck that fish

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Geth please kick INAGTP from the thread xoxoxo

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    his mom was super hot

let's fuck that fish

Would wolf form make it less weird?

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I was actually all ready to shell out for one of those special editions, pre-order nonsense and everything, but damn if no one will sell one to me

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    hmm

http://codenamesteam.nintendo.com/agents/

I can't be certain but it really sounds like the lovecraft character in codename steam, your science expert, is just Dr. Venture

on the one hand that is delightful, but on the other hand that is going to completely undermine my ability to take the character's advice even slightly seriously

What's you talking ab-HOLY SHIT IS THAT RANDOLPH CARTER

I'm still pretty ehhhh on Tiger Lily but between Randolph Carter and girl Zorro there are some good choices in there

the fact that queequeg is in this game is blowing my mind

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

It probably won't work. Geth seems to be entering the second stage of rampancy. We can only hope he's either wiped or achieves metastability while there's enough of us left to form a stable population.

• Options

whatever, mister "boy young link sure looks so good i could eat him"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Oh is it cool for me to talk about what parts of character presentation make me uncomfortable in Hyrule Warriors again

I thought that shit was supposed to be left behind in the last thread, but if I've got license then I'm ready to go

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.