As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pin Pal Group Tips

GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
edited February 2015 in Pinny Arcade
Hey guys and gals. With another year of wonderful pin collecting ahead of us and with there being four Paxen, I figured we should maybe share our trade secrets with each other for collecting several of the pins for our groups. I have only done this at last years East but I was able to get all the pins I needed. But now I am looking at having to get four sets at East this year and if the trend continues there will be a ton of pins at East. If we come up with a good collection of ideas I will keep them updated here at the top to make them easy to see.

I'll start it off:

1. Be friendly and ask. If you talk to those nice people attending the booths you might be able to just ask for an extra or two. Don't lie just be honest and friendly.
2. Bring plenty of trade fodder. The trading events will have tons of people who are looking for pins from other Paxen, if you have them for trade you can get pins from the one you are at.
3. Run around like a crazy person on the last day. The booth folks are more likely to help you out on the last day since they should have tons of pins to give out still and not much con left.
4. Friends, enemies, Pinions of any kind! Get someone to be your lackey and don't let em go. Bribe with anything you have.

I realize some may not want to share their dark pin getting secrets, but I love the pin pal groups and want to continue the tradition. I feel that a pin pal survivor's guide could help.

Post your ideas if you want, or tell me I'm dumb and I'll cower into the shadows :P

Gerzzog on

• Options
    DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Pinions.
    Every time, pinions. Friend casually mentions they decided to get a one day pass to pax this year? Convince them that getting up at 6am to stand in a line with you is the best idea ever. Maybe they'll get an LE for you and keep on for themselves, maybe you'll buy them lunch or other merch in exchange for their help, maybe they just like you that much that they'll do it for love, whatever works for you both :)

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Options
    Duckie wrote: »
    Pinions.
    Every time, pinions. Friend casually mentions they decided to get a one day pass to pax this year? Convince them that getting up at 6am to stand in a line with you is the best idea ever. Maybe they'll get an LE for you and keep on for themselves, maybe you'll buy them lunch or other merch in exchange for their help, maybe they just like you that much that they'll do it for love, whatever works for you both :)

Wish I had Pinions lol. I have friends I pin with but they need em too :)

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Gerzzog wrote: »
    Pinions.

Have friends at pax to help you. I did that for all the pax's that I have pin traded. East since it's Boston. I usually have someone who owes me a favor.

Also first day see which booths are easier and paid. Line up in merch with in the morning with other hungry pin pals.
    Use the pin trading event to help you get pins that you couldn't do yet.

darkinfero on
    My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    HappendyHappendy Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Don't cheat on Jamie's riddle.

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    darkinfero wrote: »
    Pinions.

Use the pin trading event to help you get pins that you couldn't do yet.

I can't stress this enough as a casual pin collector. The trading events are the definition of "one man's trash is another man's treasure". I was able to point out an AUS 2014 Tycho being eaten by whateverthehellbirdthatis for one of my friends. I also picked up a Zane and Mercy from Jeff's table because I couldn't BELIEVE someone had even traded that pin at all. Someone probably thought the exact same thing about the pin I traded for the Zane and Mercy. Sure, it's a great place to pick up staff pins, but just to see what some people consider "trade fodder" makes for great mind-fuckery. In retrospect, I probably should've grabbed that other Talent Pipes to continue to not trade them to @fishfishmonkeyhat.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    How bout advice for the friendless to get pins like the A.I. pins where you can only do it once and it may take place after the pin trading event.

• Options
    Rip people off for those before they find out what they're worth

Talk to people you're in line with who are there to only enjoy the show and have little interest for the pin. Find a trade/reimbursement for them that is fair to both parties so that everybody is happy.

• Options
    Happendy wrote: »

Talk to people you're in line with who are there to only enjoy the show and have little interest for the pin. Find a trade/reimbursement for them that is fair to both parties so that everybody is happy.

What have you offered in the past?

• Options
    Happendy wrote: »

What have you offered in the past?

My phone number
    ;)

Usually I offer them a fodder pin or two and after a while they just say "you're obviously more into this than I am" and then hand me the pin.

Other times I offer them USD.

• Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    If the venue has concessions, offer to buy a snack/beverage for the people around you if they give you their pin at the end. You run the risk of the person taking the snack and then losing them in the crowd later, but offering people cash for swag makes some people uneasy, whereas a nice gesture like a free snack can go a long way (especially with how long you end up waiting in line for AQ events).

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Pinions.

I employed my brothers using a similar tactic...
    I call them 'Pin-bros'' and they do everything I say because I "love" them... I covered all the costs still, and they arent into collecting (to my benefit) so i had them stand in any line with me at no extra cost. If you have a family member or loved one you can exploit i highly recommend this method.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    Our group kind of adheres to the 80/20 principal to put it in corporate speak. That is to say let's get 80% of the pins with 20% of the work. We kind of settled on proxy buying anything/everything a group member wants that can actually just be bought -- but we don't have a published expectation of chasing down Leeroys for 10 hours etc. to get them for everybody.

That said, I have had some success trading with the actual booth staff for timesink pins. I traded an Undead Labs guy (I found out later it may have actually been the president of the company) a Witch Annarchy for a State of Decay on Sunday at PAX South. I also traded an '80s Gabe for a Hearthstone Cards to a gal working the Blizzard booth at Prime 2014.

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating