As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The I'm Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today [job] Thread

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    All right. I need serious help.

My grad assistant hid post it notes under all of my stuff of different Pokemon attacks and I need to think of a way to get him back when he's in the office on Monday. I picked up my keyboard to see "Pigeot use Quick Attack!" and even found a "Butterfree use Psybeam" under my calendar. I've found four so far.

Help me fellow nerds.

Print out pictures of Nic Cage and squirrel them away in their stuff

Bonus point of you can slip it into a PowerPoint slide package

Yes yes yes

I like this line of thinking.

Part of the issue is that he shares all his work space with the other student workers. So if I do this I have to be especially sneaky in terms of timing.

Wait, I got something:
    Just before he comes in, replace his chair with one of those big red rubber balls, painted half white.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Well, I know what I'm researching tonight.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If you have a smart phone and you're a USAA member you can download their app for mobile banking. I use it to deposit my paychecks and it's fantastic.

• Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    I have USAA which is the greatest shiz on the planet, and I too will echo their glory far and wide. Also seeking family volunteers, ladies get your vaccines and dope auto insurance here :biggrin:

PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »
    Does anyone know what USAA look for when they hire claims adjusters? At this point I'd beg for that job just to get away from sales.

Don't have an answer for you, but I just opened a bank account with them!

USAA is a great bank. Also insurance company. I feel obligated to talk about how much I <3 them whenever they come up.

I think you need to have a family member in the military though. If you do, then yeah they're absolutely fantastic. I have my car loan and insurance through them along with bank accounts. No bullshit fees.

Currently active duty if memory serves, which is why I can't get no satisfaction.

I got out in 2003 and they took me. Think I'm gonna get my renters insurance through them. Don't own a car, so I don't need that kind of insurance. I was worried about not being able to make deposits, but looks like I can make deposits at the UPS store upstairs from where I work.

I signed up for insurance when I was still active-duty, so I'm not sure if that's a requirement. But I signed up for banking after I got out.

They used to distinguish between insurance-eligible bank accounts and non-insurance-eligible bank accounts, but I heard they got rid of the latter last year, so if they let you sign up for banking you should be good.

If you have an insurance-eligible bank account, you can deposit checks on the website or with your smartphone.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    chromdom wrote: »

My grad assistant hid post it notes under all of my stuff of different Pokemon attacks and I need to think of a way to get him back when he's in the office on Monday. I picked up my keyboard to see "Pigeot use Quick Attack!" and even found a "Butterfree use Psybeam" under my calendar. I've found four so far.

Help me fellow nerds.

Yes yes yes

Part of the issue is that he shares all his work space with the other student workers. So if I do this I have to be especially sneaky in terms of timing.

Wait, I got something:
    Just before he comes in, replace his chair with one of those big red rubber balls, painted half white.

If it's one of those rotating up-down desk chairs then tape an airhorn under the seat so when he sits down it'll set it off.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've been using a psuedo-checking account that I got through the community college when I was taking classes, their app also does the check deposits via pics. I bounced some checks back about seven years ago so getting a real bank or credit union account has been a horrible hassle, so I was glad that USAA took me. One of my goals now that I've got a decent job is fixing my credit.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Does anyone know what USAA look for when they hire claims adjusters? At this point I'd beg for that job just to get away from sales.

USAA is a great bank. Also insurance company. I feel obligated to talk about how much I <3 them whenever they come up.

I think you need to have a family member in the military though. If you do, then yeah they're absolutely fantastic. I have my car loan and insurance through them along with bank accounts. No bullshit fees.

Currently active duty if memory serves, which is why I can't get no satisfaction.

Are you sure? My mother is out (former army) and I'm out (former navy) and I just signed up for an account+insurance last year. Good rates too, though they were better before I moved.

Edit: I see everyone's hammered this point enough to take notice. Also, I get my paycheck a day early with USAA direct deposit.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    Speaking of fixing my credit, any suggestions for a legit, good debt consolidation service?

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of fixing my credit, any suggestions for a legit, good debt consolidation service?

What type of debt? Credit cards? Student loans? Private loans?

Cause I could use some help with student loans.

newSig.jpg
    Nocren wrote: »

Are you sure? My mother is out (former army) and I'm out (former navy) and I just signed up for an account+insurance last year. Good rates too, though they were better before I moved.

Edit: I see everyone's hammered this point enough to take notice. Also, I get my paycheck a day early with USAA direct deposit.

That day early direct deposit is the best thing.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    Nocren wrote: »

What type of debt? Credit cards? Student loans? Private loans?

Cause I could use some help with student loans.

hospital bills, leftover balances from cell phone/internet services, stuff like that

It's at least around $10k all totaled up I think. Need to get a new credit report but it always asks questions about phone numbers and addresses from over ten years ago that I don't remember or have records of.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

In the last year working at Wells Fargo, I've never seen any of our staff convince a USAA customer to move their business over to us.
    So you're probably in good hands, relatively speaking.

I've banked with USAA all my life. For banking, they are the best.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Similarly to USAA, Navy Federal has a good mobile app in my experience. Why yes, I will just take pictures of checks and be done with them.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular

Help me fellow nerds.

Yes yes yes

Or you could recruit them!

That would technically be even better, because you could feign complete ignorance as yet another Nic Cage appears in random places

Nah everyone else in the office sucks.

It's why we get so weird about Pokemon with each other because it drives everyone else here crazy and we hate them.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Similarly to USAA, Navy Federal has a good mobile app in my experience. Why yes, I will just take pictures of checks and be done with them.

Navy Federal is the actual worst if you don't live within driving distance of one of their branches, though

I have had so many hateful interactions with their phone support staff it's ridiculous

USAA also paid me $2k over KBB when I totalled my car, and didn't hike my rates.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Hmm... the floor my office is on just started smelling of poo

• schussschuss Registered User regular

adjusting is fast-paced work with a lot of constant variability and need for attention to detail. Generally an upbeat attitude (for dealing with claimants), lots of energy (for dealing with all the work and mental switches), and a slight anal streak (lots of paperwork).

• wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular

Does it say what type of adjuster they're looking for? I can't speak to USAA specifically, but most insurance companies (I work for one and both of my parents are/were adjusters) will start you in auto or inhouse auto unless you have prior claims experience. If you aren't currently with them with experience to move up (usually from customer service) or any previous adjuster experience they'll probably want a bachelors. Most places aren't picky about what that bachelors is in - I know adjusters with BA's in International Business and I know adjusters with BA's in Phys Ed that do the same thing. They just want the paper. If you're new to the field, you'll probably want to be flexible with your hours. Inhouse auto usually has early/late hours depending on your time zone to deal with the phones. Some places pay extra for working the crap hours, others don't.

If you get in the door and get your license, then few years experience and the company pays you to start on your CPCU and such you'll have a lot of options.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

In the last year working at Wells Fargo, I've never seen any of our staff convince a USAA customer to move their business over to us.
    So you're probably in good hands, relatively speaking.

I've banked with USAA all my life. For banking, they are the best.

I will say that their rates aren't the best for loans/savings/CD/etc, but the support is great when you need it. And the insurance rates are pretty good.

Yeah, I went with Capital One for my car loan because they gave me a better rate, but they're such a pain to deal with I almost wish I hadn't.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Help me fellow nerds.

Yes yes yes

That would technically be even better, because you could feign complete ignorance as yet another Nic Cage appears in random places

It's why we get so weird about Pokemon with each other because it drives everyone else here crazy and we hate them.

replace all of his standard windows sound bytes with "PIKA!"

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I read an article about Verizon's wireline sale where the CEO blames the push to make Internet a utility as the reason. He did a "thanks Obama" press release, you guys.

I still don't understand that as an excuse though, because doesn't that apply to internet from cell service as well?

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Just go full on and cosplay as Ash.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I read an article about Verizon's wireline sale where the CEO blames the push to make Internet a utility as the reason. He did a "thanks Obama" press release, you guys.

I still don't understand that as an excuse though, because doesn't that apply to internet from cell service as well?

Yes.

And if a deal like that came together in under the two weeks or so since it looked like the FCC would not be a corporate stooge, I will eat my hat.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish

Yes.

And if a deal like that came together in under the two weeks or so since it looked like the FCC would not be a corporate stooge, I will eat my hat.

Yeah, the sale has been in the works for years, from what I've heard. So yes, complete and utter bullshit. Lowell McAdam is such a douche.

Right on, Geth

JoeUser wrote: »
    Just go full on and cosplay as Ash.

So who's going to be Misty?

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Management posted a notice saying that they will not be charging for anything from the Fastenal machine in the break room, and that any charges people got from it will be refunded.

Plus we got a $50 production incentive today for blowing past our production goals for January.

Too bad everyone on third shift got shorted $50 because they neglected to give us our shift premium for the week.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)

Cognitive dissonance is a beautiful thing when you need to find an excuse to be a greedy shitlord. Of course, the irony is that there is more of a profit to be made by being the first company to lay fibre optic in any given area. Why, I bet you could even get some sort of federal subsidy if you dropped the hint to your lobbyist friends .....

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Management posted a notice saying that they will not be charging for anything from the Fastenal machine in the break room,

Ah, it's a relief they aren't soulless capitalist monsters....
    korodullin wrote: »
    and that any charges people got from it will be refunded.

Nevermind.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish

Cognitive dissonance is a beautiful thing when you need to find an excuse to be a greedy shitlord. Of course, the irony is that there is more of a profit to be made by being the first company to lay fibre optic in any given area. Why, I bet you could even get some sort of federal subsidy if you dropped the hint to your lobbyist friends .....

No. Oh hell no. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Verizon got that federal subsidy about two decades ago to lay down fiber in exchange for a lot of tax breaks and general autonomy. It did not deliver anything it promised, got the promised benefits, and in recent years lobbied to have its side of the bargain forgiven.

No. Oh hell no. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Verizon got that federal subsidy about two decades ago to lay down fiber in exchange for a lot of tax breaks and general autonomy. It did not deliver anything it promised, got the promised benefits, and in recent years lobbied to have its side of the bargain forgiven.

No way ... that's fuckin' disgusting.

If you want to look into it, just google "Verizon Telecommunications Act of 1996". All the major telecoms of the time were part of this, including the ones that would merge to become the giants today.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Help me fellow nerds.

Yes yes yes

replace all of his standard windows sound bytes with "PIKA!"

I don't have access to his login information

But Jeus Christ if I could make that a text tone on his phone I would b the happiest person...

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Boourns.

Prospective client had an emergency and canceled the demo we were gonna do at old job.

Too bad, I was gonna surprise some of the folks I liked there with some good coffee.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Today in Real Navy Job Stories:

"NO. WE ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE ANOTHER STUPID CONVERSATION ABOUT THE BATMAN-AUSCHWITZ PARALLEL."

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If you want to look into it, just google "Verizon Telecommunications Act of 1996". All the major telecoms of the time were part of this, including the ones that would merge to become the giants today.

Right, it's exactly this kind of shit that makes me laugh bitterly about the whole Net Neutrality thing right now, because the industries have proven that they will not do anything for the benefit of the consumer unless they are forced to do so, because while there exist a number of telecom providers, the major ones enjoy effective monopolies

• Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    "1 in 3 women die of heart disease and stroke each year."

Uh, look I get the message here company website blurb promoting the 'wear red day' and all that but...

This discussion has been closed.