As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Indie Games: They're like video games, but smaller!

TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
Video Games are bullshit. But sometimes, they're not quite so bullshit. That's where Indie Games come in.

Sometimes they're Artsy.

http://youtu.be/DMDaMK-9Tzc

Sometimes they're Fartsy.

http://youtu.be/hTV9KENW6nA

Sometimes they're Violent.

http://youtu.be/0hBqFc65ol4

Sometimes they're Musical.

http://youtu.be/k8p_do9YzqM

Sometimes they're Mythical.

http://youtu.be/oypl2xVpPBI

Sometimes they're Psychological.

http://youtu.be/AQLxdHfMPF8

And sometimes they're Exciting!

http://youtu.be/j78X5LluM5U

Usually, though, they're just really shitty and have zombies in them. Real shame, that.

What are your favorites?

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    just got done watching giant bomb play IDARB live

that sure is a shit-crazy indie game!

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Infinifactory is an indie game everyone should play.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    IDARB!

it started out as a crowd-sourced twitter project, and has spiraled into some kind of multiplayer, twitch-driven, indie reference monstrosity

it's got infinitely customizable 2D characters, and you can even write your own victory theme!

also the Tested guys are default selectable characters, among a ton of others

(if i remember, 'IDARB' stands for 'I drew a red box' which was one of their early accomplishments when making the game?)

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    i think you mean hashtag idarb

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    jackbox party pack is on the mac app store

in case you don't have one of the fifty other platforms it's on

i think you mean hashtag idarb

get bopped

#langzone

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Eat all videogames

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I played glitchhikers last night. It was neat! Though I feel like maybe it could have been more fleshed out or more fully realized somehow. Still, a novel experience overall, which is always nice.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Never forget QWOP

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    After watching Patrick Klepek play Grow Home and seeing Rock Paper Shotgun rave, too, I think I'm gonna pick that up for this weekend.

Looks enormously cute.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Five nights at Freddie's is popular because people like to watch people scream on YouTube and it is a game that YouTube people can scream at

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    That article was... decent. For Kotaku.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Also the furry community seems to have latched on to it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Kotaku has been surprisingly decent for at least a year now. They've really toned down the creepy bullshit they used to post all the time.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I played glitchhikers last night. It was neat! Though I feel like maybe it could have been more fleshed out or more fully realized somehow. Still, a novel experience overall, which is always nice.

I wanted to like glitchikers but I also felt like something was missing from it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

But doesn't the game present being put into a animal suit as being a bad thing?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Houk wrote: »

This was amazing.

I'm considering hooking up my One again just to play this, but I know I'd never ever have the same experience that those guys did while playing it. It looked insane.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It just means that the furry community is well aware that anthropomorphised animals are horrifying.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Look, all I know is that the last time I went looking for TF2 sprays pictures of the Five Nights at Freddies characters drawn as actual anthropomorphized animals were everywhere.

Or them still drawn as robots but "cute".

X22wmuF.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Being forced into an animal suit against your will.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah, yeah an animal suit full of wires and frame metal and whatnot with no room for a human being in the first place. Look, I don't know I assume it's a metaphor or something.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

this is actually a pretty good read

I remember the beaver game greenlight video mentioned and had never put the pieces together before

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Infinifactory
    OH GOD WHY AM I GRINDING UP WHALES

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

don't turn safesearch off

i recommend THE RAPTURE IS HERE AND YOU WILL BE FORCIBLY REMOVED FROM YOUR HOME

liEt3nH.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

I wanted to like glitchikers but I also felt like something was missing from it

Ultimately I feel that maybe it was just too derivative? Too much of an obvious love letter to the interests the creators had? I mean, name dropping David Lynch at the start, the very obvious Lovecraft type stuff, the welcome to Night Vale type stuff. Most of the talking points in the game were also things I felt like I had heard or read before elsewhere, most of the facts ones I already knew.

It was, perhaps, missing the spark of true originality.

I needed a gnome to post: Well hot damn I have to check that game out based on name alone.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's a nice, guaranteed 20 minute experience, similar to glitchhikers

even though i knew exactly what it was doing there was still something about it that sparked a sense of awe-filled dread that i was really impressed by

liEt3nH.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    yeah I guess that was it for me, the dialogue was exactly what I expected and felt kind of rote

PNk1Ml4.png
  • nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »

This was amazing.

I'm considering hooking up my One again just to play this, but I know I'd never ever have the same experience that those guys did while playing it. It looked insane.

It probably won't be as crazy as when the bombers played, but you can set the game to automatically set off hashbombs at regular intervals (5, 10 seconds etc). It's fun!

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Being forced into an animal suit against your will.

(everything to do with it)

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    man i can't speak for the furry community as it is something i am really only tangentially a part of but the accusation that they're only into it because of forcing people to do things against their will strikes me as pretty fucked up

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    man i can't speak for the furry community as it is something i am really only tangentially a part of but the accusation that they're only into it because of forcing people to do things against their will strikes me as pretty fucked up
    The accusation is literally the opposite of that. That they wouldn't like it because it is against someones will.

Bedlam wrote: »
    Zay wrote: »
    The accusation is literally the opposite of that. That they wouldn't like it because it is against someones will.

that's not really how i read it at all, but i also never learned how to read

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    I can only assume that there is a furry equivalent of the forced feminization fantasy out there somewhere

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The webcomics thread would help you with that.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    I think I'm on the precipice of another deep, deep Spelunky hole, and god help me, I am going to jump in.

signature.png

you spelunk that hole, john ham

you spelunk it good

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    I think I'm on the precipice of another deep, deep Spelunky hole, and god help me, I am going to jump in.

you landed on spikes and now you're dead

This discussion has been closed.