As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2015 BYOC Information (see you next year!)

• KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    A.Sabot wrote: »
    Does anybody know if vendors sell the actual components to build a rig/sell full assembled rigs at PAX? Weird question but I have a friend that has been looking at upgrading his rig and rather than lug his current computer to PAX wants to just buy or build one there in the BYOC area. I think I've seen Corsair selling some PSUs before but I don't usually spend much time around the vendor booths.

There is a microcenter close by so you could always buy parts there.

yup, East 2012 had a lot of runs to MicroCenter for me as I was rebuilding my computer during PAX after a PSU failure (only I didn't figure out it was the PSU until a month after PAX)

JfqWFk8.png
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    There will only be a few PC parts vendors there. Sometimes they're not selling everything at the show, sometimes it's preorders or mail order. Usually Newegg is there, a few motherboard companies, maybe some video cards. Zotac is usually there showing their latest SFF boxes.

• FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    Hey I have a quick question.

I saw on the badge website for BYOC that it is only available through Will Call? Is that accurate?

If so, is it possible to still get early access to the BYOC on Friday?

Thanks!

FireWater

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    There's will call hours for Thursday, so while I don't know the answer to the first part of your question, if you do have a badge at will call, it is possible to pick it up before friday morning.

What time are the will call hours on Thursday?

In the past I believe 2pm-8pm, but I'm sure those are subject to change.

Welp just bought my BYOC pass.

I just booked the Seaport for all 3 days, gotta love those last minute cancelations. Will Call should not be an issue now.

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Posted this for South and it went well so I'm going to try it again. Looking to put together a BYOC group, anyone is welcome, minimum is 6 people.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • perfectbebopperfectbebop Registered User regular
    FireWater wrote: »

I just booked the Seaport for all 3 days, gotta love those last minute cancelations. Will Call should not be an issue now.

Wait, where is it saying that BYOC is will call? I'm not finding it saying that anywhere

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Posted this for South and it went well so I'm going to try it again. Looking to put together a BYOC group, anyone is welcome, minimum is 6 people.

Interested! Sent you a pm.

FireWater wrote: »

Wait, where is it saying that BYOC is will call? I'm not finding it saying that anywhere

If you ordered your badge after a certain point, it won't be mailed to you and you will have to pick it up at will call.

row1.pngrow2.png
    So, what games are you preinstalling for BYOC?
    What game do you want to play most with others?

I wiped my old Alienware M11x laptop to loan to one of our group members. Probably going to install Minecraft, TF2, maybe a few other games so our friend has stuff to play. It's a small SSD so I have to be picky. Last year my family all got stuck on Minecraft all weekend. I'm not sure what the best LAN games are these days that don't need a fast connection to an outside server.

I'd figure

TF2, Monday Night combat, Dota 2, Heroes of the Storm, LoL.

Maybe L4d/2 CS:GO?

I just played a lot of league last year and I am looking to change that.

• RooslinRooslin Registered User regular
    I'm just going to make sure Dota 2 / CS:GO are updated then download a bunch of lan only games like gang beasts, stardust vanguards, hero siege.

• GoreySailorGoreySailor Boston, MARegistered User regular
    You guys play any FFXIV in there?

I'm hoping we start to see more invites to Heroes of the Storm become available soon. I think my family would like it but they won't each shell out the $40 for the founder's pack.

• joker5542joker5542 Registered User regular
    Hey I have a couple questions

1. When are group registration going to go out ?
    2. Will we have the option to borrow a monitor this year again
    3. Will the check in process be smoothed out this year it took me ages to get checked in and seated with my group last year

Thanks see you all in a couple weeks I don't think any of these questions are overly hard seeing how we are just a few weeks out

joker5542 wrote: »

row1.pngrow2.png
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    OMG - GROUP SEATING IS OPEN... and very late. Many apologies. Had to wait for PAX South to finish and then things for PAX East got super busy!!

Group seating is OPEN NOW.

To request group seating, email pax_pc@paxsite.com

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
    Hey I have a couple questions

1. When are group registration going to go out ?
    3. Will the check in process be smoothed out this year it took me ages to get checked in and seated with my group last year

Thanks see you all in a couple weeks I don't think any of these questions are overly hard seeing how we are just a few weeks out

1.) Open Now! Sorry for the delay, South has slowed up our planning, and now things are moving VERY FAST!
    2.) At this point, I do not believe so. If I hear otherwise, I'll let you know.
    3.) BYOC Check-In Process is something we are constantly reworking to try and improve it every PAX. We had a pretty smooth system going at PAX Prime and South, and hoping to reproduce at PAX East!

Vapok
  • hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Well, I managed to get PAX East badges today (risky business, I know, but they went so fast this year!), and was extremely pleased to find BYOC passes still available! I get to continue my streak of BYOC at every PAX East! I'm very much looking forward to it... see you all in 16 days!

hendusoone on
    8hiRK4y.png
    Group Seating Updated with current requests. If you're group is not on there yet, there was a seat conflict.

Vapok
    Case Mod Showcase Information

Want to show off your awesome case mod near the entrance to BYOC? Want to sit in proximity to other case modders? We've carved out an area just for you! Register to sit in our Case Mod Showcase area of the BYOC!
    As a note, this is optional and not required if you're bringing in a case mod.
    Case Mod Showcase Registration Is Open NOW!

Case Mod Showcase Requirements
    • For starters, have a case mod!
    • Provide us a picture of your case mod (either finished or in progress).
    • Requests are taken on a first come, first serve basis.

Email pax_pc@paxsite.com with your pictures, name, and email address!

Vapok

To back this up, just received confirmation tonight that there will NOT be a monitor lending vendor at PAX East 2015.

Sorry y'all! Better bring a monitor!

Vapok
    Vapok wrote: »
    To back this up, just received confirmation tonight that there will NOT be a monitor lending vendor at PAX East 2015.

I'm glad BenQ did it for as long as they did but I can see how it would not at all be profitable or beneficial to them.

row1.pngrow2.png

I'm glad BenQ did it for as long as they did but I can see how it would not at all be profitable or beneficial to them.

Yeah it was definitely an awesome experience working with BenQ and getting to use their amazing monitors. That being said, I think they must have thought it would've been a better sales driver than it was.

Either way, there was definitely desire and demand for monitoring lending at PAX. Something to consider for other monitor vendors in the future!

Vapok
  • BashinterothBashinteroth NYCRegistered User regular
    I could see how this would sell something such as G-Sync; I think it would have the potential move units when you get more people exposed to it

edited February 2015

Yeah it was definitely an awesome experience working with BenQ and getting to use their amazing monitors. That being said, I think they must have thought it would've been a better sales driver than it was.

Either way, there was definitely desire and demand for monitoring lending at PAX. Something to consider for other monitor vendors in the future!

I would even pay for the privilege. It's $40-ish to check a monitor as baggage both ways but I would pay $50 to rent one for the convenience and for not having to worry about things getting broken.

Edit: On a related note, if anyone in the Boston area wants to rent me a monitor, I would be up for that, haha.

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
    Group Seating Updated for the day! Thanks!

Vapok
    Hey Folks!!

If you're on the fence about BYOC and unsure, there are STILL just a handful badges left!

Feel like dual monitoring? Pick up a second badge for a couple more power outlets!

Get 'em while you can!

Vapok
    edited February 2015
    BYOC Information Mailer
    includes errata
    ****PATCH YOUR PC BEFORE YOU ARRIVE****

If you're getting this, that means you have purchased a BYOC spot at PAX East to bring your computer and play on our dedicated network alongside a couple hundred friends you haven't met yet. To help make sure your BYOC festivities go smoothly, we've put together a little information packet for you. If you ever have any questions, feel free to email us at pax_pc@paxsite.com or to help ensure others benefit from your question, post in our forums.

--- Getting There ---

If you're travelling by car, pull into the Westin/BCEC area at the base of the giant media wall. Follow this road (West Side Drive) all the way past the building, and down and back up the ramp. Keep following the road until you get to Level 1 Southwest. This will be the first glass vestibule you come to on your right hand side.

We will have signs posted where the load-in area will be and there will be Enforcers inside the building manning a security station that can hold your equipment for you while you park your car.

For those of you staying at the Westin, you've got a bit of a walk...sorry about that! Go straight from the skybridge connecting the Westin and the BCEC and down the escalator. Keep going the same direction through North Lobby and around the Northwest corner of the building. Keep following the hallway until you get to "Southwest Lobby B2". This will be the second lobby you come to, just past the food court. From there you can make use of either the RIGHT escalator or the elevator down to the PC Room level (Level 0/ Hall Southwest C1).

Note that BYOC opens at 8:30am on Friday, two hours earlier than the rest of the show. Obviously that's pending our ability to make sure things are totally ready for you, but the idea is you'll be able to set up your rig with plenty of time to hop in the Expo Hall line.

--- Basic LAN Party Information ---

If you've never been to a LAN party, be sure to bring the following equipment:

3-Day (or other) PAX Pass
    BYOC Pass
    Computer
    Monitor (Please no bigger than 27" LCD) and connecting cable
    Keyboard
    Mouse (we recommend wired, just to avoid any potential interference)
    Mouse pad    
    Ethernet cable (25 feet should be sufficient, but longer is always better)    
    Power cables (but no extension cords or power strips.  Maximum of two power connected devices) 
    Headphones
    Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.

We suggest printing off this list checking each item as you pack it. If you end up forgetting something, talk to an Enforcer and we might be able to help out.

--- Pre-PAX Prep---

Please update/patch your games before coming to PAX. This includes updating Steam, Impulse, Origin, and such. You will have access to the Internet, but bandwidth is extremely limited...you'll almost certainly get faster downloads at home.

Please be sure to enable virus protection on your computer before connecting it to our network. Any computers that are found with a virus will be immediately disconnected from the network until the matter is resolved.

--- PAX East Badge Registration ---

Your PAX East BYOC badges should be mailed to you shortly if you haven't received them already. Should you have questions or issues with this, please contact registration@paxsite.com.

--- PAX East Schedule ---

The PAX East BYOC schedule is as follows:
    Friday: 8:30am - 12:00am
    Saturday: 10:00am - 12:00am
    Sunday: 10:00am - 7:00pm

--- Tournament Schedule ---

The PC Tournament Schedule will be found on our forums right here when it announced. Note this does not account for the various BYOC contests we'll be peer pressuring you into.

--- BYOC Contests ---

The BYOC and LANFest staff will be running organized games throughout each day in the games on the list. Some of the activities will have signups ahead of time while others you can just jump in game and join us. Extended descriptions for each of the organized events will be posted on the PAX Forums. Scheduled times will be available on site starting at check-in.

--- Security Information ---

There's a lot more to do at PAX than just play PC games, and we want you to be able to go do all of these things secure in the knowledge that your computer and peripherals are safe and sound. To that end, we probably put a much higher emphasis on security than most other LAN parties. Before you enter the PAX BYOC area, you will have to quickly register your computer and any monitor you're bringing into the computer area. We've gone to great lengths to keep the security processes in check, and as such, please keep your BYOC badge as visible as possible when entering the room.

While we will make every attempt to keep all equipment in the room safe, be aware that there is little we can do to prevent iPods, tablets, portable game consoles, CD's, big wads of cash, and other small items from walking off. We strongly suggest you keep such items out of plain view and use some common sense when it comes to your own security. If you're coming with a laptop, we also STRONGLY recommend you invest in a laptop lock. Seriously.

--- Voice Chat Information ---

We will have Ventrilo servers available for tournaments and public gaming. While we will have the client available on our file server, it is recommended that you download and install Ventrilo before you come to the event. You can download the client at http://www.ventrilo.com.

If you have any PC related questions at all during PAX, please see the BYOC Help Desk. If they're not able to provide a solution, they'll be able to direct you to the right people to get your problem solved.

See ya'll at PAX!

==============================================

Vapok on
    Vapok
    I heard you should patch your PC before you arrive

http://i.imgur.com/lG2Rwbr.png

Looks like I'm good to go!

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Greylock3491Greylock3491 Registered User regular
    Woot! I'm returning to PAXEast BYOC again this year! And, I'm bringing a couple of friends ;-)

We'll be playing Portal 2 Co-op, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Terror Hunt, Age Of Empires 3 co-op, StarCraft 2 co-op, and many more :-)

One bad thing though, two of my friends backed out so I have a couple of extra tickets - and since BYOC is not sold out yet (how did that happen? more seats?) it doesn't look like I'll be able to sell them. I guess I'll be spreading out across 60"s in place of 30"s lol.

Can't wait!

Grey

• JgamingJgaming Registered User regular
    Woot! I'm returning to PAXEast BYOC again this year! And, I'm bringing a couple of friends ;-)

We'll be playing Portal 2 Co-op, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Terror Hunt, Age Of Empires 3 co-op, StarCraft 2 co-op, and many more :-)

One bad thing though, two of my friends backed out so I have a couple of extra tickets - and since BYOC is not sold out yet (how did that happen? more seats?) it doesn't look like I'll be able to sell them. I guess I'll be spreading out across 60"s in place of 30"s lol.

Can't wait!

Grey

Hopefully we can get some sc2 custom games setup. Like risk legacy and probes vs zealots mabye :D?

• thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    Sent in my mod application. Still painting it at the moment, been awhile since I've cut it close with pax but I'll have it done in time. Went to test run the components also and had fun finding out that its stuck on a boot loop and wont go into bios. Either the mobo or psu is bad I guess...

• DeathNTaxesDeathNTaxes Registered User regular
    First time BYOC, excited to try it out. Complete noob to all things LAN, so hopefully I won't be "that guy" in the games. I'm terrible at several of the games people have already mentioned in the thread, but is there any good starter game like TF2, etc. I should practice on ahead of time? Also, I would be up for BF4 or Civ if anyone plans to play that.

• JgamingJgaming Registered User regular
    First time BYOC, excited to try it out. Complete noob to all things LAN, so hopefully I won't be "that guy" in the games. I'm terrible at several of the games people have already mentioned in the thread, but is there any good starter game like TF2, etc. I should practice on ahead of time? Also, I would be up for BF4 or Civ if anyone plans to play that.

Oh man I forgot about civ. You're a genius. I should host a civ game.

Is JS Joust an appropriate BYOC game? I have enough controllers for 4 players, but won't bring them unless there is a ton of interest.
    We would have to move it away from the other players so nobody gets their stuff knocked over.

macrogeek wrote: »
    Is JS Joust an appropriate BYOC game? I have enough controllers for 4 players, but won't bring them unless there is a ton of interest.
    We would have to move it away from the other players so nobody gets their stuff knocked over.

As much as I absolutely love JS Joust (like I will play that all PAX long if you want), I'm not sure if the BYOC area is a great place to do it at. There are some space limitations.

Vapok