As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Am I the only one who hate fandoms?

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    People who like a certain Andrew Lloyd Webber musical are called the Phandom of the Opera.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I've got this cousin who is kind of a massive fan of Doctor Who and as far as I know she pretty much only interacts with the DW community that exists on Facebook

which is totally weird to me, but people do what they do

Turns out people like hanging out with people who have similar interests!

Who would have thought?

broken image link
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Something weird about this thread being on the PA forum.

YL9WnCY.png
    I wonder what the Fuzzbutt fandom calls itself.

broken image link
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    What would you call the fandom of pineapple on pizza

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    that's not what's weird to me, what's weird to me is using Facebook for a fan community

even Reddit has a better interface for that kind of thing

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular

fuzzbutlers is I think the preferred nomenclature

that's not what's weird to me, what's weird to me is using Facebook for a fan community

Hey at least it's not Twitter.

broken image link
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular

I proposed the Fuzznuttz at our last meeting.

Hey at least it's not Twitter.

true

in terms of an interface for fostering a community, I'd say message boards like this one > reddit > tumblr > facebook > twitter

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Veldrin wrote: »

Enemies of the state

Grey Ghost on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Melding wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    i don't understand people who define themselves solely by their consumption habits. I eat a lot of beef. I'm not going to call myself a beefer.

Cause beef also means fart in some places and now i'm laughing oh god what have i done.

yeah no I'm gonna self-identify as a beefer I think in spite of any of the possible definitions of the word

The Geebs That Loves Flatulence

I wrote that as Beegs four times. i don't know why.

we don't actually need to change my name to that as I embody that philosophy in everything I do in life

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    see, I don't mind Doctor Who fans

it's the ones who identify as SuperWhoLocks you gotta watch out for

I'm not making up that term and I wish I were

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Enemies of the state

3853.0.570.359.jpg

otherwise most fandoms leave me feeling a resounding meh at worst

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I used to think that certain fandoms were dumb and people should feel bad about them. I think I realized three things at a certain point, though:

1. Half the stuff I like and think is really dumb.
    2. Really honestly, who cares if people like Buffy the Vampire Slayer so much they think they're Xander? As long as they aren't hurting anybody it's none of my business, and frankly they likely have bigger problems.
    3. People like the people in that story (because I don't know its veracity but I've certainly seen things one could see as similar) aren't being awful because they and their friends like something. They're being awful because they're pitiable people whose only social circle finds behaving that way in public acceptable or even admirable.

I used to be actively angry at the MLP fandom, for instance, and I stopped to examine why. For one thing, I realized that a lot of it was me judging groups of people for liking something that was targeted at younger people, and I realized that was dumb and stopped and am much happier for it.

I will always hate them forever, though, because I grew up with and LOVED the original MLP and therefore they are my natural enemy.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

true patriots

uc3ufTB.png
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    i was going to make a comment about the fakeness of the story in the OP

but then i remembered the video about spitting in a bucket

After the picture of some My Little Pony plush being dissolve in some guys bottle of semen. There's nothing fake anymore. At one point in time I would of thought that there's no way a team of guys would allow a horse to fuck someone to death, but now I know better.

oh god i'm dying

you're killing me

Mortal Sky wrote: »

the only thing worse than SuperWhoLock was the Onceler fandom but thankfully that's pretty much extinct

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the onceler fandom was a rare and beautiful thing

uc3ufTB.png
    As much shade as I throw at SuperWhoLock kids, at least most of them aren't problematic, besides the rare ones who really don't get why defending Moffat is a bad idea

MLP fans, however, are the other way around. I'm glad that there is a feminist anti-brony contingent of MLP viewers but they are, at least on the internet, a minority

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

the only thing worse than SuperWhoLock was the Onceler fandom but thankfully that's pretty much extinct

hmm

you know, I don't think I'll investigate this one

hmm

you know, I don't think I'll investigate this one

Tumblr gets a lot of fandoms which burn very brightly and very quickly to a ridiculous degree

It's how Homestuck (which was one of the rare ones to actually stick), Night Vale, Dangan Ronpa, and a bunch of other stuff went from internet sleeper hits to more widespread cult classics

The Oncler thing was the most terribly bright and thankfully it was over within months, beyond a few scattered embers

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I'd say SWL is worse because it somehow has had longevity, also it's main feature seems to be trying to push SWL into anything and everything. The Onceler fandom was just a brief thing.

Gvzbgul on
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    i've seen stuff trying to explain the Onceler fandom but I've always left it way more confused than I came in

that may be the desired effect, actually

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Is "onceler" a Dr. Seuss thing?

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    somebody explain the onceler fandom to me please

absolutely!

uc3ufTB.png
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I'd say SWL is worse because it somehow has had longevity, also it's main feature seems to be trying to push SWL into everything and everything. The Onceler fandom was just a brief thing.

SuperWhoLock is the perfect mixture of boyband-esque fangirling over pretty boys (because augh those Supernatural boys are so pretty), regular fandom shenanigans, and three different shows with an easy set of memes and tropes to dive into

Also means every blog of the SuperWhoLock variety looks the exact same. Like it's the uniform they wear.

The Onceler is the bad guy in The Lorax who is trying to get all the trees cut down. In The Lorax film he's a cute and quirky villain. Done.

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The Onceler is the bad guy in The Lorax who is trying to get all the trees cut down. In The Lorax film he's a cute and quirky villain. Done.

And that cute quirkyness made a bunch of teenage girls on the internet go briefly insane

It IS a Dr. Seuss thing? I somehow forgot The Lorax.

Do they go around trying to cut down all of the trees?

Mostly they ship the Onceler with the Onceler, that's it.

• JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    I'm starting a new fandom

MML3DataKobiKobiDance.gif

signature.png

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Is "onceler" a Dr. Seuss thing?

Yeah

People got super into onceler from the lorax movie

Which I haven't seen but from what I've goeaned it had a dream sequence or something which featured an evil onceler

And a lot of people like to imagine that the good onceler and the evil onceler would smooch all up on each other

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I misread the thread title.

And was like "wait, why make a thread about hating femdoms?"

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Well now I feel silly

Serves me right for trying to respond to a post in an active thread in my ipad

Monkey_cymbal.gif

Oh and then the Onceler thing branched out into "hey other teenaged animated film boys are cute too, let's ship them all together"

• JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Well now I feel silly

Serves me right for trying to respond to a post in an active thread in my ipad

tumblr_n5w2zdVFIY1s3uawvo2_r1_500.gif

signature.png