As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Grey Goo - New RTS From Petroglyph

CreganTurCreganTur Registered User regular
https://www.youtube.com/user/greygoogame

A friend of mine from college is one of the modelers on this game- I hadn't heard anything about it until he posted something about the upcoming release date.

The visuals are impressive, and the trailer is really well done, but I have some concerns about this game... mainly because it's Petroglyph and Empire at War was a terrible RTS. But, to be fair, the space combat in that game was much better than the ground combat.

I'm hoping that Petroglyph can give us gameplay to match the impressive visuals because this does look very appealing.

It's based on a standard triad of species/factions- the Betas (the good aliens?), the humans (us, the good guys!), and the Goo.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'll definitely give it a try based on the grey goo alone. The nice visuals are an added bonus though, and they make a pretty good trailer too. I'm not huge into rts games but I'm always willing to try ones that do neat things like this, Achron, Planetary Annihilation, Creeper World 3, and Perimeter

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Petroglyph is basically all the Talent that fled Westwood studios after EA shut it down.

So if anyone can do an RTS, and do it well, its them.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    The beta ultimate unit is a nuke launching Flying Fortress that smaller units and tanks can megazord onto for increased firepower.

Fucking sold

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I've being playing alot of this. It's really solid and scratches the RTS itch without immediately needing you to do everything super fast like in Star Craft. I'm absolutely up for doing some practice games with PA guys too if anyones interested.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I've being playing alot of this. It's really solid and scratches the RTS itch without immediately needing you to do everything super fast like in Star Craft. I'm absolutely up for doing some practice games with PA guys too if anyones interested.

I tried watching a few streams to get an idea of what everything is like. But it seemed really difficult to even make out where the units were/what is happening. Is that actually the case or was it just unlucky that the people I was watching had brown turned up to 11?

I unfortunately think I have to wait on a sale for this but I love more rts options.

• Options
    I find it pretty easy to read but @TPSou was complaining of the same thing when me and him were playing so I guess it might be an experiences will vary thing.

• Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    This is on my Steam wishlist so I can pick it up on sale. The cinematics appear to be stunning from what I've seen so far on youtube.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It's really unfortunate that RTS games I'd love to sort of try to get into while they are still new and popular are $50 and so on - I sat out Wargame: European Escalation and so on for similar reasons, and so far I haven't picked up Grey Goo, partially because I'm not sure if it's super great and partially just because $50 is a fair amount to spend. Plus the game might die out. Right now I'm sort of hurting for RTS games, though. CoH 2 is fun but ultra frustrating, given the shitty performance, the bugs, Relic's lack of understanding of competitive multiplayer, etc. and Assault Squad 2 is brilliant but it's not really a traditional RTS and sometimes I'm in the mood for a game where you have to tech up and so on. I've heard somewhat unfortunate things about Planetary Annihilation so I've ignored that.

It also doesn't help that single player doesn't excite me at all in strategy games so it's multiplayer or bust.

Still... anyone playing multiplayer in this? How is it?

• Options
    I play a round or two a day so far. Multi's fine and I usually can find a 1v1 ranked game (though there's some weird interactions with 2v2 matchmaking and steamworks if your partners on a different continent to you).

I suspect it'll probably nurse a decent if small community. Gameplay wise it's fun and definitely slower than most RTS's. I quite like playing Beta v Beta match ups but due to how weird Goo and Humans can be to fight I'm still learning how to deal with them (particularly fighting Goo arty on maps with alot of hilly terrain).

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Y'know, I was holding out on strategy until Homeworld, but not I'll totally get this.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    Put a good amount of time into the multiplayer after beating the single player and I am definitely pleased with my purchase.

Definitely some minor balance issues to be addressed though and I only hope the game gets enough love to warrant future support and content.

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    There's a surprising amount of difference's between the sides even moreso when the tech items come up.

Grey Goo Crescents anti air units can be also repurposed into arty units.
    Humans anti air drones can become duel function anti air and direct fire.

The querty key binds for building units is unmitigated genius.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    It's really unfortunate that RTS games I'd love to sort of try to get into while they are still new and popular are $50 and so on - I sat out Wargame: European Escalation and so on for similar reasons, and so far I haven't picked up Grey Goo, partially because I'm not sure if it's super great and partially just because $50 is a fair amount to spend. Plus the game might die out. Right now I'm sort of hurting for RTS games, though. CoH 2 is fun but ultra frustrating, given the shitty performance, the bugs, Relic's lack of understanding of competitive multiplayer, etc. and Assault Squad 2 is brilliant but it's not really a traditional RTS and sometimes I'm in the mood for a game where you have to tech up and so on. I've heard somewhat unfortunate things about Planetary Annihilation so I've ignored that.

It also doesn't help that single player doesn't excite me at all in strategy games so it's multiplayer or bust.

in the post steam era of cheap games and constant sales, there is no justifiable reason to pay full price for a game, much less 50+ for it.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    being in on a game when it's new whether it's for multiplayer community or the freshness of single player while everyone else is experiencing it is a totally reasonable reason to spend $50. not for every one or for every game, but it's not like it's nuts to get a game at launch or shortly after.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

in the post steam era of cheap games and constant sales, there is no justifiable reason to pay full price for a game, much less 50+ for it.
    I think "I am rich" would be a pretty good reason, but I'm not rich. @Variable also brings up good reasons, which is why I paid full price for Titanfall. With an RTS game it's especially good to get in on the ground floor because that's often when innovation is flourishing the most, the strategies are the most up in the air, and so on.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I think "I am rich" would be a pretty good reason, but I'm not rich. @Variable also brings up good reasons, which is why I paid full price for Titanfall. With an RTS game it's especially good to get in on the ground floor because that's often when innovation is flourishing the most, the strategies are the most up in the air, and so on.

It probably ties into, "I am rich", but when I can I also like supporting a dev that makes a game that seems interesting and good. I'd rather pay $50 for a great game, rather than wait until it's on sale for $10.

edit: I'd also like to say that I'm not saying anyone is wrong for not buying a $50 game. I totally understand if someone doesn't feel it's worth it to them or are unable to afford that much to spend on a videogame. I was merely pointing out my own reasoning for spending that much on games.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I suspect it'll probably nurse a decent if small community. Gameplay wise it's fun and definitely slower than most RTS's. I quite like playing Beta v Beta match ups but due to how weird Goo and Humans can be to fight I'm still learning how to deal with them (particularly fighting Goo arty on maps with alot of hilly terrain).

If you are primarily playing Beta and are having trouble vs goo I would suggest early aggression, 1 refinery into 3 factories and massing nothing but commandos seems to stop most goo players in their tracks they simply cant keep up with early aggression and any dmg on their initial mother. If the goo player is crafty enough to either rush you or move around the map then you are in much more difficult position. May I suggest mass commandos with the anti air upgrade against their artillery, I find this shuts down Goo artillery pretty hard, especially if you can secure aerial vision with the air scout dudes.

Multiplayer is good, not sure how you rate your RTS experiences, but this one is up their with C&C3 for me. Feels real similar in that it starts slower while players try and figure out gameplans and then quickly explodes into a flurry of apm that tends to end before the 15 minute mark.

It has ranked/unranked 1v1 and 2v2 games. I have found the wait time for ranked games to be pretty quick at all hours of the day, although the 2v2 wait time tends to suffer during off hours. One nice feature of flying solo is the ability to search for the quickest game regardless of size. I find it refreshingly nice to run a mix of 1s and 2s in a couple hour stretch. Another nice feature is the 2m or so grace period you have after a game is found and loaded, lets me roam around the house a bit in between without stress which is nice. My biggest complaint right now is the game can be hard to play with a friend during off hours unless you want to face off. Unranked queue times are mostly abysmal (but to be fair I have only tried a few times) and custom games only ever range in the few.

The Beta are the most aggressive of the 3 races and play very similar to the Allied in C&C3. Lots of reliance on t1 gameplay to gain control of the game and map, can build forward fortifications outside of enemy bases, Big slow but devastating air units, etc. Also the masters of hit and run tactics. My definite favorite so far, I tend to go early commando play vs Goo, rush or wall off and macro vs Beta, and try to stalker ball Humans into existence before they get artillery.

The Humans have a really strong mid game and strong defensive towers (they remind of the Rising Sun), they can also freely re-arrange base structures at the cost of having to sim-city power conduits to connect it all. These guys are my toughest opponent and have expensive but tanky units in comparison to the other factions. Their artillery is also the best in the game. I cant really speak for them strategy wise but conduit sim-city is definitely a thing and a good web often leaves me baffled and unable to shut down their defenses.

The Goo are definitely an interesting beast. Visually and thematically they remind me of the Visceroid from Westwood games of yore. Mechanically I am not quite sure what to compare them to, I am sure there is a comparison out there but it eludes me. They start with a single Mother Goo, which does everything. At the most basic level the mother sits on top of resource vents and grows bigger, then it spits out more mothers or different size goos which can then morph into other units. The cool part is that the mother only has to walk over a vent to trigger it for 18s, after that the entire 18s of resources get added as potential resources and slowly grow the mother, during which she can be moving or fighting or whatever is she wants to do. So the real art of the goo seems to be growing as fast as possible and moving around the map constantly to keep your strength hidden. After which they transform into unstoppable end game juggernauts who can not only field 200 pop worth of units, but can also bring an additional 12 mother goos into battle which are quite possibly some of the best front line units to have. Also when mother goos consume units/buildings they gain strength.

From my experience it seems to be in a very rock paper scissors state atm where Beta -> Goo -> Alliance -> Beta. The meta is still very 1-dimensional right now though as most players seem to sticking to the races obvious strengths so far (I myself being a Beta aggro culprit). There is definitely still experimenting and innovating to be done if that's your thing, you can already feel the shifts in styles creeping in.

Beefers on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Some KotH showmatches happening right now at GGReplays.com twitch.tv/netput (with corresponding key give away).

Beefers on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Really digging how you have to mix up strategies against different races. Like mobile recon against Goo is pretty crucial compared to Alliance.

Also artillery turrets are the funniest thing.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Man, upgraded howitzers are so crazy.

Guy locks me in base with strong early game stalker play and occupying the brush just outside it. Doesn't matter, get a stealth dagger in and fourteen howitzer's obliterate his force in a few volleys.

• Options
    By c&c3 I meant RA3, This game feels similar to RA3 in pace and feel.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    yeah if a company I like or people I like make a game in a genre I like I'll pay full price for it because I understand that game make money = maybe get more stuff from this company. sure, I could wait a year and check out the closest steam sale to that and get it for 10 bucks or whatever but if it's something I want to see more of I wouldn't do that mostly because I am not all super haughty about "lol never pay more than 10 dolllars for a computer game." if i put a tiny bit of research into something and see that cool people made cool shit, then yeah, they deserve asking price. I understand that if everyone did the "lol wait for sale" shit then we wouldn't have any of these games for them to be haughty about.

but I also get a living wage so w/e.

also this game is really good. the campaign is very hard starting out though, it doesn't really hold your hand at all which is good and I guess kinda bad.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Oh, damn, Frank Klepacki did the soundtrack? I'm in. I'm so in.

• Options
    Oh, damn, Frank Klepacki did the soundtrack? I'm in. I'm so in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNmE8oiDVyo

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    This game is really reminiscent of previous Petroglyph/Westwood games

The Humans are basically the Novus.
    The Goo play like the Hierarchy but have the aesthetics of the Scrin.
    The Beta are a lot like the Soviets. The units mounting wall mechanics is combined from various C&C games like with the GDI's modular turret in Tiberian Sun and the infantry and tank garrisons from Red Alert 2.

They even managed to partially work in the old Westwood tradition of bigger units being able to crush/trample smaller units with the Goo's ability to eat units they come in contact with.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    does this game require the activation of abilities on individual units?

eg: the need to press a key / click an icon with a given unit selected to have it used an ability

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Nope, all unit abilities are activated defaultly or by movement/attacking.

• Options
    Also for anyone interested here's a decent enough youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wRtpQvW9Oc

Also Romeo of CoH2 fame's being shoutcasting some tournament stuff which is fairly interesting. Unless you want to see human play. In which case you're shit out of luck because apparently no good players want to play humans. Whether that's balance or just them being really awkward to play (force projection is minimal early game and being able to get control of the maps eco is a big deal) remains to be seen.

• Options
    The Goo faction is a more micro heavy faction and it kind of has activated abilities since it's a completely mobile faction. Their main production unit is the Mother Goo, which can create large and small proteans and each protean can be turned into different units. However, the Mother Goo and proteans can also do damage to enemy units by touching them. So you can use proteans as offensive units on their own and then have them turn into whatever units you need for the situation.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    does this have a campaign? Is it any good?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The campaign is OK but it's shorter than games like Command and Conquer and Starcraft. There are only 15 missions. It's about as long as the Universe at War campaign minus the turn based overworld campaign. The ending is also pretty sequel baity.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    For anyone who was interested in the multiplayer the game has just undergone a major balance patch and they have done a fairly good job of pushing the game in a good direction. Doesn't feel like anything is super broken right now and the armies being wielded are a lot more diverse then before. It can still be a bit intimidating to jump into multi-player games as a beginner, do to a limited player count (this game is just itching for more people, where are you sale?!), but if anyone does I would be glad to assist them beyond those initial hurdles and into the late game.

Edit: In an hour or so there will be a couple of hours of streamed dev matches (2v2s I think) with commentary and all that jazz.

Beefers on