As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Friday, February 6, 2015 - Seventeen Portrait

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2015 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Friday, February 6, 2015 - Seventeen Portrait

Seventeen Portrait

Seventeen Portrait

http://campcomic.com/comic/179

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• photon_man62photon_man62 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Aww, how cute! I wonder how "realistic" Malachi and Brian will look.

photon_man62 on
  • SneftelSneftel Registered User regular
    Man, it took me a while to find the cat in this one.

• TzivyaTzivya Registered User regular
    Aww! She has my daughter's eyes! (My daughter would like them back, BTW)

• Beardsly_BeardingtonBeardsly_Beardington Registered User regular
    I can't find the kitty!

• GinormousGinormous Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    That obviously took a lot of artistic talent, but it's creeping me out. It's like Seventeen and The Grinch had a baby. Don't get me wrong, I could not draw that, it's just not my cup of tea. It's just hitting my uncanny valley right on the nose. I wish I could provide more constructive criticism. Honestly, if it was either more realistic or more cartoony, I think it would be better. It's honestly right in the uncanny valley.

Ginormous on
  • pinta_vodkipinta_vodki Registered User new member
    Gosh, this is indeed uncanny valley stuff. Like when Mike did a "retina version" of Gabe and Tycho, only creepier.

No offence, others seem to find it cute, not creepy. :D

• AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    That terrifies me.

• Morgan BlackpowderMorgan Blackpowder Registered User regular
    Comics scare me when they take a super long break, please don't become like the trenches!

• BonaventureBonaventure Registered User regular
    Bah! I really like it and don't find it creepy in the slightest. Much less does it tread anywhere near 'uncanny valley' territory, at least for me. It's nothing like a realistic portrait.

The detail and grime do humanize Seventeen and encourage you to imagine her as a real kid, which I guess is sort of creepy, in that Camp Weedonwantcha has such an unrelentingly dark premise. But that tension is why the strip is so compelling in the first place.

I can't wait to see more of these!

steam_sig.png
  • LieutenantDanLieutenantDan Registered User regular
    I think the reaction might come from the shoulders... They're a little weird, really rolled forward. I've seen some people with shoulders like that, but it's not usual. I like seeing another view of the characters from the artist. :)

• pitseleh348pitseleh348 Registered User new member
    I love it! I've always wondered what the Camp W characters might look like in 'real life.' I think this is great, and the shoulders don't bother me—I actually think her posture is a good representation of her personality. I imagine she's holding her hands clasped in front of her, turning her head to the side a little impishly. I think the creepy factor comes from imagining them as real children, knowing the backstory. Can't wait to see Malachi and Brian.

• TrygylTrygyl Registered User regular
    Eugh, looks like ET in a shirt and wig.... She just looks a lot older in this than she would/should in-story (12 years old I think?)

• StarvingGeckoStarvingGecko Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Hah! Lordy, it took me far too long to get an account just for this comic. I've been following your works for years now, you've been one of my greater inspirations in the field of illustration and comics and the like.

As for our current illustration here, well, quite the split! Some people are unnerved by our seeming hybrid of realistic and cartoon sensibilities! It's sometimes a bit of pitfall, it is - the ole cartoonist's strength is in caricaturing reality, and sometimes it shows up in our stabs at realism, however well crafted it may be!

...it's either that, or the fact they're very good at seeing the crude in people's appeal. I know Katie is good at that! But I can also see why the shoulders seem odd - it's either a movement that makes more sense for people in motion, or one that could've used more rendering...or we need to stare more at shoulders. And here I am at a computer screen instead!

Pardon the lengthy comment Katie, I suppose it's a culmination of finally getting around to talking and because it's something I've studied a few times before. And maybe helpful in some small capacity...nah.

Keep it up, ya make me weeks at college much more bearable with your work!

EDIT - Also, Seventeen is my favorite of the main trio, so it's wonderful to see you capture her wide-eyed, grimy visage in such a way. Whoo!

StarvingGecko on
  • MachivelliMachivelli Registered User new member
    ...I can't find kitty anywhere!

• pwgcbcpwgcbc Registered User new member
    I thought her name was from being the 17th child in her family, but now I can see she's Android 17 from Dragon Ball as a little girl!

• AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    Comics scare me when they take a super long break, please don't become like the trenches!

No super long break here! Just needed some time to prepare a Kickstarter for the first book.

The comic will be back after this portrait series.

• LafayetteLafayette Registered User new member
    I think it's adorable. Captures the impish confidence of childhood perfectly.

With regards to the shoulders, it looks like she just leaned back into the 'frame' - you can replicate the pose by leaning back from your keyboard and looking off to your right, as if you were trying to look around a corner or squeeze into a group photo happening behind you.

• FieryCocoaFieryCocoa Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    \ *v* /
    I like this idea

oh wait, yeah, kitty...

FieryCocoa on
  • SIXytSIXyt Esq STLRegistered User regular
    Oh my god I love this so much! I can't wait until to see Mal

• DunfodabadunDunfodabadun Registered User new member
    Isn't Malachi the name of the guy from Children of the Corn? Where they kill all the adults?

• diggZdiggZ Registered User regular
    Oh Man! Did anyone else see that Adam said they were doing a kickstarter for the first book? I hope there's a hardcopy version! WOOOOOOO77747474

• The DFRThe DFR Registered User new member
    Please make these portraits available as prints. They're beautiful! And please consider doing a cat portrait too, since there are so many of them they must be considered near-main characters as well.

• KatieJRiceKatieJRice Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Isn't Malachi the name of the guy from Children of the Corn? Where they kill all the adults?

It is! Though this Malachi is named after a character from one of my favorite books, Sirens of Titan. :]

KatieJRice on
  • carch3rcarch3r Registered User new member

Oh wow, I've been pronouncing his name COMPLETELY wrong... "Mala-chee" instead of "Mal-a-kai"...

• meatnerdmeatnerd Registered User regular
    This looks similar to Jeff Smith's style.

• stickwriterstickwriter Registered User regular
    Looove this and the Malachi one! Might we request these in small-poster form?

• SynorbsSynorbs Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I am testing a comment as i see the comments here are run by the ones on the actual comic. I cannot seem to comment on any of them. When i type one in and press enter all i get is the sign in box again.

Synorbs on
  • MLG PRO NUGGET MLG PRO NUGGET Registered User regular
    NIGHTMARES NIGHTMARE THIS PORTRAIT IS NIGHTMARE

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    I probably should ask in a newer comic, but what color are Seventeen's eyes?
    I've always thought they we're greenish, but they're actually blue here. And some of her siblings have blue eyes.

This actually bothered me for a while, because maybe this is the moment I find out I've been colorblind my entire life, but I need to know. Haha.

• LDMT1995LDMT1995 Registered User regular
    While I adore seventeen I find malachi more relatable.
    Mean parents are all too real.