As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, January 30, 2015 - Godspeed

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• Options
    armatur3armatur3 San DiegoRegistered User regular
    LOL...Is that a lacoste-style wang?

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    that certainly is an embroided penis yes

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Do they still make those polos with the extra large logo for extra douchiness?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    AriWerdAriWerd Registered User regular
    I LOVE gender-swapped video game princesses attending the hallowed halls of ol' DRC. It's my favorite genre.

• Options
    spawnoftheEDspawnoftheED Multimedia Designer New JerseyRegistered User regular
    gabe has freckles.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    armatur3 wrote: »
    LOL...Is that a lacoste-style wang?

So glad you pointed that out. I would have missed that.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Not sure how I feel about the character models changing, BUT I like the art in this.

• Options
    PBMadCatPBMadCat Registered User regular
    now Gabe looks like a dweebus

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    gabe has freckles.

i was thinking it was measles. topical.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    DhalgrenDhalgren Registered User regular
    gabe has freckles.

Maybe he's trying to slowly turn comic Gabe into real-life Gabe...

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I was quite pleased that the art was relatively tight and clean this time, to the point of Tycho and Gabe being actually, y'know, symmetrical.
    (Not a fan of the Kricfalusi-influenced, "so loose and sketchy it's about to fly/ooze right off the page" style.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ChimneyImpChimneyImp Shifty Eyes BostonRegistered User regular
    Y'know, you used to have a rather good videogame journalism feature on Penny Arcade.

Hint hint.

Z04due2.png
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    ChimneyImp wrote: »
    Y'know, you used to have a rather good videogame journalism feature on Penny Arcade.

Hint hint.

I miss Checkpoint being on the site too.

• Options
    L_MariachiL_Mariachi Registered User regular
    Edge Online just announced that they’re being folded into GamesRadar+.

Also I’m surprised Gabe doesn’t have RPS bookmarked.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Is the "galleries of gender-swapped videogame princesses going to Disney Robot College" line a shot at Kotaku? Because they post something like that at least once a week.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Is the "galleries of gender-swapped videogame princesses going to Disney Robot College" line a shot at Kotaku? Because they post something like that at least once a week.
    Probably.

Also, in general, that line fulfills the purpose of subtly communicating this point from the newspost:
    Something you will derive from this book is a high resolution diagram of what we already suspect to be true: that the incentive structure for online news essentially demands that you troll your readers 24/7.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    yo kotaku on blast

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Once a week? Last time I checked in, that was a regular feature each morning. Along with other scintillating features like, "Check out this weird shit in Japan, mousepads have boobs!"

Nosf on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    The most surreal part of this was the casual mention, in the story I read, of their parent company AOL's earnings of $454 million in the last quarter, mostly from "subscription services" including dial-up.... Buh..wuh...WTF?!

How is it even remotely possible to make that kind of money making screechy modem noises at people in this century?

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    The most surreal part of this was the casual mention, in the story I read, of their parent company AOL's earnings of $454 million in the last quarter, mostly from "subscription services" including dial-up.... Buh..wuh...WTF?!

How is it even remotely possible to make that kind of money making screechy modem noises at people in this century?
    Because cable companies don't care care about rural customers while telcos have to service then under Title 2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    graven_xgraven_x Registered User new member
    Please, Please, Please bring Penny Arcade Report back. We need it now more than ever!

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    ChimneyImp wrote: »

Hint hint.

And, unfortunately, it exploded on an huge, unnecesary flamewar.

Oh well.

For game reviews, while there's a market for in-depth written analysis, but watching a YouTuber play the thing so I can judge it is much faster and more reliable. The likes of Kotaku also have their days counted, since there's only so much money that clickbait can get. Behold the future!:
    PewDiePie-Dying-Light-555x740.jpg

• Options
    SynraSynra Registered User regular
    Okay, now the next PA comic needs to have gender swapped gabe and tycho.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Gabe's art update looked pretty sweet. I want a wallpaper of the Gabe/Tycho car. Looking forward to Monday's sketch dump!

Also sad to head about Joystiq but I rarely visited. Hope the employees land on their feet.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Synra wrote: »
    Okay, now the next PA comic needs to have gender swapped gabe and tycho.
    Been done already:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2014/06/13/gabbie-and-tyche
    i-7hMkQf3-1050x10000.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    yes, what Synra was saying is, we need to have another. More.

• Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    I'd say it's less of a dig at Kotaku and more of a dig at ALL journalism sites nowadays.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Some folks are trying to make a go of a revenue model that allows for higher-quality writing (Kickstarted subscription projects, largely), but in general we need a lot of help from readers. People say they want high-quality articles, but not enough people actually read 'em, and next thing you know the site owners are pushing everybody to write more top ten lists because that's what gets the clicks. It's the same problem in all media, magnified by the fact that game site readers mostly have adblock on but are not receptive to alternative ways to pay for quality coverage. Can't get the good stuff for free.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Some folks are trying to make a go of a revenue model that allows for higher-quality writing (Kickstarted subscription projects, largely), but in general we need a lot of help from readers. People say they want high-quality articles, but not enough people actually read 'em, and next thing you know the site owners are pushing everybody to write more top ten lists because that's what gets the clicks. It's the same problem in all media, magnified by the fact that game site readers mostly have adblock on but are not receptive to alternative ways to pay for quality coverage. Can't get the good stuff for free.

Yeah, this is why i've subscribed to the escapist. It was a huge mistake for NYT et al to have tried to go f2p in the last decade. It looks like our new media model is lots of garbage for the masses - huffpo, buzzfeed, forbes/business insider crap - then traditional subscription + ad model for good journalism and analysis - e.g .nyt, wsj, nyrb, the economist.

It's not clear if any games journalism site can convince people to pay to read. I hope so, because we need good coverage. Given that games journalism was always dependent on game-industry dollars, i'm not sure if a subscription-based business model for has ever been demonstrated.

Does anyone have any pieces on what %age of costs gamepro and nintendo power covered with subscription fees?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    trident042trident042 Registered User regular
    You say Kafkaesque, I say Kefkaesque.

This signature now left intentionally blank.