As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uhhhh so my mouse won't click?

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited February 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
This one's weird. Recently my computer has started hard-locking for reasons I haven't quite figured it out. It often happens when playing media of some kind and I figured maybe it was Flash, so I updated Flash, and things worked for a little while but then my mouse stopped clicking. Like, none of the buttons register, but the mouse otherwise works fine. I can hover over things and... that's it. Even the sensitivity adjustment buttons don't do anything. It's a Logitech G500s and I'm running Windows 7, and when I boot into Safe Mode or boot up the other older Win 7 install I've got on this computer, it works totally fine. The device manager doesn't see anything weird. Unplugging + plugging back in did nothing. I did a System Restore to a few Windows updates ago (February 4th) which also took away the new Flash update and that didn't help. I Googled a bit and people have suggested everything from updating video drivers to even crazier stuff. Has anyone ever run into this?

edit: the plot thickens - I made a new user account and the mouse works fine there...

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    If it works in safe mode, it means the hardware is fine. It's likely Logitech's special fancy drivers, which don't run in safe mode (instead the generic Microsoft driver runs, which appears to be working but probably won't support any special functions of the mouse). Try resetting the mouse control panel to defaults or uninstalling/reinstalling the Logitech software.

Hevach on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Nah, since it works in a new user account which has all the same drivers, it must be something else.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Those settings are saved per account. With my m510, my wife's shoulder buttons are set up to work her itunes playlist, while mine are left at the default forward/back. A new account would either get whatever was saved to the default template, or wouldn't get anything and the driver would generate a default setup on the next (or rather, first) log in.

Hevach on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    If the drivers have some kind of profile feature it makes sense it would work fine in another user account.

Reinstall the mouse drivers.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Success! I can't believe I didn't try that. Now I'm wondering what fucked it up in the first place, but in any case, it was the Logitech profiling software, so... now I can click again! Thank you everyone!