As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Am I the only one who hate fandoms?

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    We must all date robots so when our kids grow up they will think it's uncool because their parents did it, thus saving humanity

It is a terrible sacrifice to make, but I feel we can endure for our future

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    when will you guys understand that robots are erotic

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Geth really knows when to hit those buttons.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Of course Geth would awesome a post saying that robots will kill all humans.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Maybe Geth has already started, I mean has anyone seen Icy post lately?

zkHcp.jpg
    Kadith wrote: »
    Maybe Geth has already started, I mean has anyone seen Icy post lately?

I'm pretty sure that Icy's posts are just Geth assuming control.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Solar wrote: »
    I also think, and this is not an attempt to be a dig at anyone in the slightest but is quite important, that Harry Potter works a lot better for older readers if you are British

because a lot of it is criticism of British politics and British media and the British class systems etc, and I feel that there's a lot of the nuance in the book which only works if you realise what kind of person and system they are supposed to be tearing into. Rita Skeeter and the Daily Prophet, for example, represents the 80s and 90s tabloid newspapers in the UK very specifically, sure she represents tabloid media in general, but there's a direct link there which readers who are not familiar with the British tabloid media might not catch (the phrasing of the headlines, the way she seeks information about Harry etc)

I started to read the series when I was about 21, and I loved it. And yeah, I agree there's a lot of stuff in there that only an adult might catch.

I had just lived in the UK for a year though, so that probably helped.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    yeah that whole cultural background in HP came into focus for me after I started listening to the News Quiz and my sister was watching the movies and going on and on and on about the books

Tam on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Speaking of books I might just have to open one.

I'm so wound up after days of letting my anxiety build that I can't sleep. It sucks.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    that really does suck

you know what helped me with that is some nice calming asmr videos

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So...Voldemort is Thatcher

YL9WnCY.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

From what I understand that may be kind of rude.

To voldemort.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2015
    Also please stop your love of robots lest tynic gain any more power.

When her cold, metal empire is fully realized, you will come to grips with your culpability in this binary dystopia and weep for a second chance

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    I feel like an internet safety class would consist of a teacher walking in and saying "Don't."

Class dismissed.

so, this but hollywood cyberthriller bullshit instead of horror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUa3ft2nhyA

i'd watch it

I remember seeing the director's cut at a special screening with the director as the guest of honor.

Eight extra don'ts!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

Voldemort kind of represents what Rowling sees as the fascist spectre behind the right, the ultimate culmination of that philosophy, not so much an individual person as a kind of monster which combines the varying strains of banal regular everyday cruelty and bigotry and uncaring ambition and fantasises it as a dark lord. Underneath the Dark Lord you have the various schools of the right, the Blackshirts, the Old Boys Club, the vicious tabloid right and so on, Voldemort is kind of the apex point of all of that.

Dolores Umbridge is Thatcher, a facade of gentle matronly old-school feminity over a vicious, spiteful, authoritarian sadist

I think the key here is that Vernon Dursley can be summed up in one-word as far as Rowling is concerned; he's a Tory

All of her stereotypes are exaggerated to the extent that they are fantasy characters in a fantasy story, but the basis is there and deliberate

Solar on

When her cold, metal empire is fully realized, you will come to grips with your culpability in this binary dystopia and weep for a second chance

what if it were a warm metal empire

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    She's also stated before (I think) that she was/is a labour supporter because they are/were the party who supported her through their policies when she was a very broke, alone, single mother with no where to go/means to support herself.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Like Robot Hell?

I'm onto your little game, tynic. Or should I say...

the Robot Devil?

if i were the robot devil, I'd be a much better violinist.

try and find a story written by a British writer in the last thirty years that doesn't contain a Thatcher analogue

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

Happiness is a warm robot

try and find a story written by a British writer in the last thirty years that doesn't contain a Thatcher analogue

There's loads of those

Can't recall Iain M Banks ever writing about a Thatcher analogue

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

Happiness is a warm robot

Well, you really only need certain parts of the robot to be warm. So you can save on energy costs.

edited February 2015
    Maybe he didn't have a Thatcher analogue, but he certainly had Thatcherism.

Gvzbgul on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Liiya wrote: »
    She's also stated before (I think) that she was/is a labour supporter because they are/were the party who supported her through their policies when she was a very broke, alone, single mother with no where to go/means to support herself.

This is what won my husband over to wanting to support and expand medicaid and unemployment benefits, and become more liberal in general. He grew up with such very conservative parents that it was really a stretch for him... but then he couldn't find a job for 2 1/2 years and we were homeless and I was 9 months pregnant and the baby was breech for a while and I needed 600 ultrasounds and we were living with my parents who were only putting up with us because of the baby, and then all of a sudden his mother hating on medicaid (in my presence, no less) was much less amusing to him.

Sometimes you just don't know till it's you, and often it's a butterfly's wing-flap away from being you and you just don't know it.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    I am so into Adventure Time it's a little ridiculous.
    Super late but @ceres youll probably love steven universe too. Its got a similar sense of fun and whimsy plus rad music

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    From the exactly two episodes I've seen so far I can say that I love all the characters and find them really interesting... except Steven. While I do fully intend to watch more, he's actually the thing that kept me from watching more right then. I'm assuming this improves.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    From the exactly two episodes I've seen so far I can say that I love all the characters and find them really interesting... except Steven. While I do fully intend to watch more, he's actually the thing that kept me from watching more right then. I'm assuming this improves.

What about Steven is turning you off the show? Also, what episodes have you seen?
    I mean, he does get better, but he's still a goofy little kid with magic powers.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    AT has more history behind it right now.

But fuckin Steven has heart

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    British comics writers in the 80s did not care for Margaret Thatcher. I was just reading early Hellblazer where John Constantine is fighting demons who are literally cheering for the Conservatives to win an election.

Very few people cared for Margaret Thatcher.

Except for one guy I was forced to listen to while he took my friends and I on a driving tour of the southwest. He kept calling her Saint Maggie.

see317 wrote: »

What about Steven is turning you off the show? Also, what episodes have you seen?
    I mean, he does get better, but he's still a goofy little kid with magic powers.

Just the first two. He's just got really bad "annoying kid sidekick in a sea of cool adults" syndrome.

When Thatcher died she had a massive state funeral, attended by the masses

at the same time "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" reached number one in the charts by a landslide

so yeah that's Margaret Thatcher in a nutshell

I'm not very familiar with Thatcher beyond 'mining communities hate her'. Surely the shutting down of mining is just economics? Mining isn't a sustainable thing, it has to end sometime.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    British comics writers in the 80s did not care for Margaret Thatcher. I was just reading early Hellblazer where John Constantine is fighting demons who are literally cheering for the Conservatives to win an election.

Early Hellblazer is incredibly entrenched in British current social issues and politics

It's really weird, sometimes

Like, I love Hellblazer, I think the early stuff is great, but it's a time before I was born in places I've never been, and it is indelibly linked there

I can't even imagine what it was like reading it in single issues

There's an issue of Planetary from the early 2000s by Warren Ellis where a character matter-of-factly explains that Thatcher was so crazy that she "wasn't even a woman anymore", whatever that's supposed to mean.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Solar will be able to explain it so much better than I can, its been a while since I've been able to explain it all properly and I studied it extensively, I studied politics in college and Thatcher was controversial enough to get a while term dedicated to her. But Solar and I are from the same area (where there is strong Thatcher dislike), and I've yet to see him post something political I disagree with!