As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dying Light] Mirror's Edge / Dead Island : Will It Blend? 10+ minutes of gameplay

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Well, that was definitely an... ending.

The theme I'm seeing with these devs is that they've got decent ideas for gameplay, but they should let somebody else entirely make the stories, missions, and optimization.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Anyone have issues on the ps4 version? The game is nigh unplayable now I've reached uptown area on the Steam version . I was really enjoying it too.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Anyone have issues on the ps4 version? The game is nigh unplayable now I've reached uptown area on the Steam version . I was really enjoying it too.
    Just made it to the second area on PS4 and have had no issues at all.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Only issue I found on the xbone is that the game has some kind of memory leak if you leave it "running" behind the scenes but turn your bone off the game will eventually become unplayable and you can't launch other programs on the bone you have to hard reset.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I've had no issues on PC. The lowest I drop is maybe 50ish fps in the second area with a lot of things going on. I have a gtx 580 and a core i7, so nothing at all new or fancy.

Are you the magic man?
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yeah pc has always been a case of ymmv though. It started off brilliantly but now it's annoying.

Buying it on psn isn't an issue as I really enjoyed the game so far and giving them more money is hardly s bad thing.

so they're releasing official mod tools soon for PC. that's actually really cool, happens so rarely these days. I know these guys made some missteps with the Dead Island stuff but they've been pretty cool lately.

Are you the magic man?
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    I can't wait to see what the modding community does with the game. It has a great solid base.

Expecting gigantic RPG talent trees.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Weirdly, the thing with switching into windowed mode and back go full screen fixes a lot of my performance issues on PC. I hope they can fix this quickly in a patch. It's not a huge thing to have to do every time I play it, but it's enough to be annoying.

That said, this is game is getting really fun now that I'm not worried about performance all the time.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    So, uhhh...looks like Techland did it again. There's a female zombie with fully modeled/textured lady parts. I can no longer say I have never seen a zombie vagina.

edited February 2015
    I've been playing a bit with the mobile companion app today since I was away from my PC most of the day. I guess it's a neat idea. It's cool being able to send your scouts out and gather a bunch of loot that you can send to yourself in-game. Makes it nice not having to look around as much in the main game for this stuff.

Only two things I don't like about it, one minor, one major. The minor issue is that it bugs me you can only send 20 items at a time in a care package, and I have to log into the game and claim it at the quartermaster before I can send another one in the app. If I'm gone all day, I could easily build up 4 or 5 packages probably. But I can only send one until I get home and claim it. Not huge but kind of a pain.

The major issue though is that the game in the all just isn't fun. I know it's a companion app, not an actual game, but it's more or less an issue of just going though the motions of sending out your scouts, waiting some amount of time, then logging back in to see what they got you. Pretty boring. It could have been more fun if they'd had more options for character customization or managing resources or something. The whole thing ends up consisting of logging in, assigning your scouts and pushing a few buttons, then waiting anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for them to get back. Then you push a few more buttons, see what kind of loot they got, then do it all over again. Wish it could have been more of an actual game.

It's a cool thing to have though overall. I can see it being really useful when just starting the game and exploring the world searching for loot is still a little scary and difficult. I probably won't keep using it all the time, but it's a decent diversion for a few minutes when you can't play the game itself.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Having played both Far Cry 4 and Dying light which are both pretty long open world games I have to say I enjoyed Dying light more if only because it didn't always feel like the same thing. I can't explain it exactly but Far Cry 4 just peters out because its the same game the whole time, where as Dying light has more emergent game play throughout.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    It's so damn strange how the zombie population is is about 50% male/female (oddly no children, but i guess there are rules about portraying child murder out there), but as for npcs there is jade and a few damsels in quest lines.

Additionally in multiplayer its so weird to have 2 cranes running around, i cant imagine 4 player co-op where its the same model for everyone.

There are children, you run across them later and you'll wish you didn't.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    There are children, you run across them later and you'll wish you didn't.

seriously, I wear giant headphones and that first time was an awful experience.

Are you the magic man?
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    The worst is the manual takedown. I didn't have a ranged weapon for one today...I may have trouble sleeping tonight.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I had to reload a certain section which began with a child zombie in it a few times... I hated it every time.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I didn't know there was a way to get close to them until the end of the game, because I just chucked explosive traps at them through doorways whenever they showed up.

I also discovered post game the fast travel posters in the tower/old town.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Wait, there is a fast travel system?

I.....missed that. I don't remember them pointing out *anything*.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    so they're releasing official mod tools soon for PC. that's actually really cool, happens so rarely these days.

*Hype for Hellraid building*

I'm at the end of the game now and I can make some truly powerful weapons, and it's only just now that night is not terrifying as long as I set up properly.

I found a well lit area that was blocked off from every angle but one, a long and lonely alley zig-zagged with broken down cars. behind me, there were rows and rows of spikes and barbed wire.

several zombies came through, but what I really wanted was one of the pouncing, spitting motherfuckers that chase you down and kill you near immediately.

one finally came, bounding over the wrecked cars. I didn't run, I just waited with my big fuck-off katana at the ready. as he got closer, I brought it up into a ready stance and bisected him as he leaped.

I could have just turned it off there, since there was nothing left in the game to frighten me, even at night. They aren't scary when you see them cleaved in two, guts all over.

Are you the magic man?
    edited February 2015
    That's the thing, they don't. Somehow they expect you to figure this out. My brother informed me in fact, I would never have found out if not for him.

Local H Jay on
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Astale wrote: »

It doesn't help that the fast travel poster back to the tower is obscured in shadow. I knew it existed and where it was supposed to exist, but it still took me awhile to find it.
    I'm at the end of the game now and I can make some truly powerful weapons, and it's only just now that night is not terrifying as long as I set up properly.

I found a well lit area that was blocked off from every angle but one, a long and lonely alley zig-zagged with broken down cars. behind me, there were rows and rows of spikes and barbed wire.

several zombies came through, but what I really wanted was one of the pouncing, spitting motherfuckers that chase you down and kill you near immediately.

one finally came, bounding over the wrecked cars. I didn't run, I just waited with my big fuck-off katana at the ready. as he got closer, I brought it up into a ready stance and bisected him as he leaped.

I could have just turned it off there, since there was nothing left in the game to frighten me, even at night. They aren't scary when you see them cleaved in two, guts all over.
    Yeah. I dislike how the weapons get stupid strong near the end. Later I joined a friend's game that was much lower level than me and I hoarded a lot of the lower level green weapons that Rais's thugs were dropping and paid my friend to buy me some weaker weapons that were available to him from the trader.

The game is just more fun when you have to actually fight things instead of having a god weapon that was folded a billion times and can cut through a tank. I didn't even try to farm up power points. I just enjoyed fighting zombies. Eventually the weapons that I enjoyed finally broke and the only weapons that were available to me were super powerful weapons that reduced combat to a hollow affair with no challenge.

IMO, the golden age of combat in the game is the range where you have ~100 damge weapon (stuff like the hooked blade and early cleavers/sickles). You need to score headshots or critical hits have a chance to insta-kill anything. Raw numbers can still overwhelm you and you can be forced back to flee or use consumables like firecrackers or molotovs to tip the scales back in your favor.

Unfortunately it isn't much longer until you start finding sacrificial short swords. At that point you kill most zeds in one swing regardless of headshots. The zombies that survive become the odd exceptions. Then from there things get silly and you can just sort of dive right into a square filled with hundreds of zeds and emerge unscathed.

At this point I'm thinking about ignoring the rest of the side missions and just making a beeline towards completing the story. Then I'll probably retire the game until the modding community or DLC revitalizes my interest in it.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    I wasn't really complaining, just trying to say that that marked the end of the game for me more than the ending did. You don't get that powerful until quite late unless you really cheese things so they did a fairly good job of staving off power creep.

Are you the magic man?
    I was quite happy with the damage progression. There are few worse design approaches to RPG-esque gameplay than scaling all the enemies to the damage you can deal; it sucks all the fun out of any levelling up when the mooks it took ten wacks to kill twenty hours ago still take just as long to kill now. It makes all the levelling and all the crafting pointless when they only provide a slight improvement over sucky damage, forever.

Personally, I was pleased that the phase of the game where it takes a while to kill a single zombie went away pretty quick. That shit gets super-old super-fast, and so would just running away from every fight for the whole game. The game does a good job of keeping you in an region of power for a while where you can fend off a handful of zombies decently but still struggle with them in groups, and it's only towards the end where you really just smash everything. Even then, running into a crowd of zombies at night is a really bad idea, since they will pretty much all start turning into sprinters and shred you if you don't get the hell out of there.

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    so they're releasing official mod tools soon for PC. that's actually really cool, happens so rarely these days.

That's been delayed so many times.

I was quite happy with the damage progression. There are few worse design approaches to RPG-esque gameplay than scaling all the enemies to the damage you can deal; it sucks all the fun out of any levelling up when the mooks it took ten wacks to kill twenty hours ago still take just as long to kill now. It makes all the levelling and all the crafting pointless when they only provide a slight improvement over sucky damage, forever.

Personally, I was pleased that the phase of the game where it takes a while to kill a single zombie went away pretty quick. That shit gets super-old super-fast, and so would just running away from every fight for the whole game. The game does a good job of keeping you in an region of power for a while where you can fend off a handful of zombies decently but still struggle with them in groups, and it's only towards the end where you really just smash everything. Even then, running into a crowd of zombies at night is a really bad idea, since they will pretty much all start turning into sprinters and shred you if you don't get the hell out of there.

Yeah I liked how you get to be a blizzard of zombo killing, but you can still die at night. Hell one bad bomber in position and your a blood stain.

I too agree I hate when a game keeps things even throughout, thats not why I level up! I level up to kick things asses not fight the same battle at 1 I fought at 100. Hell that was the one thing about far cry 4 that killed me didn't feel like I had made much progress.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I just made it to old town, and all I have to say is (re: Dowd)
    Man fuck that guy. Seriously. However I love how Techland constructed the story line. It would have been so easy to say "well if you never pick up another sidequest you won't see this guy again" type of thing but I love that they just randomly throw him and his son at you during the game

Along those lines, I love it that the game nudges you into quests; they may put a marker on your map but it's up to you to do the investigation.

Is Dowd the runner guy from the slums? Rocket also makes an appearance in Old town.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Is Dowd the runner guy from the slums? Rocket also makes an appearance in Old town.

No he's the guy in the tower that asks you to
    bring him a gun

This happened to me a couple of nights ago. Nothing major, I just thought it was kind of funny. Apparently the act of simply waking up is a traumatic experience for Crane. Or maybe he just had a bad dream.

http://youtu.be/vy-2E5TPVHE

Steam | Twitch

No he's the guy in the tower that asks you to
    bring him a gun

Ahh yeah, there are a couple pay offs like that in old town that I recall.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    oh shit, just got back from vacation and I noticed the PC version at best buy canada is only 50 bucks and I have a 25 dollar gift card....

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular

It doesn't help that the fast travel poster back to the tower is obscured in shadow. I knew it existed and where it was supposed to exist, but it still took me awhile to find it.

Yeah. I dislike how the weapons get stupid strong near the end. Later I joined a friend's game that was much lower level than me and I hoarded a lot of the lower level green weapons that Rais's thugs were dropping and paid my friend to buy me some weaker weapons that were available to him from the trader.

The game is just more fun when you have to actually fight things instead of having a god weapon that was folded a billion times and can cut through a tank. I didn't even try to farm up power points. I just enjoyed fighting zombies. Eventually the weapons that I enjoyed finally broke and the only weapons that were available to me were super powerful weapons that reduced combat to a hollow affair with no challenge.

IMO, the golden age of combat in the game is the range where you have ~100 damge weapon (stuff like the hooked blade and early cleavers/sickles). You need to score headshots or critical hits have a chance to insta-kill anything. Raw numbers can still overwhelm you and you can be forced back to flee or use consumables like firecrackers or molotovs to tip the scales back in your favor.

Unfortunately it isn't much longer until you start finding sacrificial short swords. At that point you kill most zeds in one swing regardless of headshots. The zombies that survive become the odd exceptions. Then from there things get silly and you can just sort of dive right into a square filled with hundreds of zeds and emerge unscathed.

At this point I'm thinking about ignoring the rest of the side missions and just making a beeline towards completing the story. Then I'll probably retire the game until the modding community or DLC revitalizes my interest in it.

Are you saying there is a way to actually trade with co-op partners? We tried to see if something would work (because I kept getting all the gun spawns and he had nothing), but there didn't seem to be any way to hand them off.

Also, the game definitely levels up the zombies to some extent with you. There's a lot more runners over time if you just sit leveling up without progressing the story (without unlocking the spitter/boomer/whatever variants). Good weapons can still go through them pretty quick, but they're a lot more dodge-happy and tend to stand off before attacking unless they are behind you.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Bubby wrote: »

Apparently the most recent delay is due to moving more people over to the team working on it because Techland has decided to treat it as their next major release after DL instead of just a mid-tier pseudo-indie type of deal. So I am OK with that.

Gaslight on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015

Are you saying there is a way to actually trade with co-op partners? We tried to see if something would work (because I kept getting all the gun spawns and he had nothing), but there didn't seem to be any way to hand them off.

Player 1 drops the weapon/item on the ground, player 2 picks it up.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

Also, the game definitely levels up the zombies to some extent with you. There's a lot more runners over time if you just sit leveling up without progressing the story (without unlocking the spitter/boomer/whatever variants). Good weapons can still go through them pretty quick, but they're a lot more dodge-happy and tend to stand off before attacking unless they are behind you.
    we just dropped stuff on the ground. You can drop money and it looks like wallets.

The frequency of runners has increased, but it in no way has kept pace with weapons that do several hundred points of damage.

I suppose my character got over leveled by re-running a lot of the missions by joining friends games.

I really enjoyed the fight in the pit. That was a blast having to fight all that stuff without everything being a cakewalk. I wish there were more segments like that that force you to improvise.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012

we just dropped stuff on the ground. You can drop money and it looks like wallets.

The frequency of runners has increased, but it in no way has kept pace with weapons that do several hundred points of damage.

I suppose my character got over leveled by re-running a lot of the missions by joining friends games.

I really enjoyed the fight in the pit. That was a blast having to fight all that stuff without everything being a cakewalk. I wish there were more segments like that that force you to improvise.

You have one more of those coming up, I personally hated it because I like getting a big arsenal and using it against my enemies.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

Apparently the most recent delay is due to moving more people over to the team working on it because Techland has decided to treat it as their next major release after DL instead of just a mid-tier pseudo-indie type of deal. So I am OK with that.

I just hope it doesn't lose the Hexen-y style it seemed to have before by going for a larger audience.