As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better Call Saul

Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong LoveRegistered User regular
edited February 2015 in Social Entropy++
HZPXTaC.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Call_Saul

better call saul is a spinoff of recent television critical darling Breaking Bad, that airs on AMC

on feb 8th it premiered after The Walking Dead, and it got a uh, specific word trending on twitter after it came out

guys lets talk about this show that is a good show based solely upon the first episode.

it has one of the bleakest beginnings of a television series ever, and then it gets more bleak

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
Calamity Jane on

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    it got a uh, specific word trending on twitter after it came out

what word?

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    that would be a spoiler, magic pink!!

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    ah, ok

Magic Pink wrote: »
    ah, ok

oh, why the heck not
    the word was Tuco

when i say the opening episode was bleak? well
    present day saul actually working for cinnabon. which im sure cinnabon was over the moon about. and to keep the narrative in that thread, saul crying when remembering the good ol' days. and then being a public defender. for kids who decapitated and fucked a human head. thats the first fifteen fuckin minutes

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i probably could have done without a Tuco appearance... makes the circumstances of the show seem even more staged than they were in Breaking Bad (clockwork universe, etc)

but other than that I thought it was excellent and all the production qualities of Breaking Bad seem to be there still

i felt something along that thread was going to happen though, to sort of establish how he knows of these guys on an individual level. part of me looks forward to jonathan banks grumbling more

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm excited to watch this. Recorded it but won't have a chance until tonight.

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    god damn this is only on Netflix here

PSN- AHermano
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    god damn this is only on Netflix here

SUBSCRIBE.

Magic Pink wrote: »
    ah, ok

oh, why the heck not
    the word was Tuco

when i say the opening episode was bleak? well
    present day saul actually working for cinnabon. which im sure cinnabon was over the moon about. and to keep the narrative in that thread, saul crying when remembering the good ol' days. and then being a public defender. for kids who decapitated and fucked a human head. thats the first fifteen fuckin minutes
    He did say that was his goal though! Living up to his expectations from the end of BB.

Nothing. Matters.
    ...I've got a real urge to subscribe to Netflix now for some reason

PSN- AHermano
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I didn't get a chance to see this last night. The good news is they are replaying the premier tonight...followed by the second episode right after that.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Netflix is basically the one required subscription.

Their current and upcoming original content is getting borderline ridiculous how good and creative it is now.

rhylith on
    Netflix doesn't seem to have as much stuff over here though, they don't have any HBO shows I don't think, which is a big chunk of the shows I watch, and why I'd rather pay for Sky tv for now

PSN- AHermano
  • cornellcornell Registered User regular
    It was everything I hoped it would be.
    Bleak and depressing, just like it's predecessor.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I don't know what you guys are talking about this show is funny as fuck.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I don't know what you guys are talking about this show is funny as fuck.

it's funny but it's definitely hard on the side of black humor for the most part

Hermano wrote: »
    Netflix doesn't seem to have as much stuff over here though, they don't have any HBO shows I don't think, which is a big chunk of the shows I watch, and why I'd rather pay for Sky tv for now

Yeah I can see that. If you signed up you could VPN into other countries and get their content as well.

I wonder how long until HBO releases their standalone subscription.

Anyway, I don't know where they're going to go with this show!

Nothing. Matters.
    edited February 2015
    I didn't funny but I also didn't find it bleak. The episode was crafted to make you sympathize for Saul so that you can get down with all the illicit stuff that he will eventually do. I was less depressed and more irritated with everything happening to him, that's what makes him the the guy you hope gets even with the world

also

Jasconius on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i like that post-BB saul is basically season 1 walter white

sadsack with doofy hair, glasses and mustache at a job he hates who quietly stews about how great his old prospects were

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Awesome news. Hopefully it keeps the momentum into the next episode. I don't see how it could drop much with how last night's ended!

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Is Saul on Netflix too?

steam_sig.png
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Is Saul on Netflix too?

only in the UK afaik

AMC is putting the episodes on their website as they air though

• TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

sadsack with doofy hair, glasses and mustache at a job he hates who quietly stews about how great his old prospects were
    Is it bad that I kind of want the focus of the show to slowly shift from Saul's past to his present (over a couple of seasons), where he is no longer satisfied, and with an increasing desperation that his best days were behind him, decides that he has enough knowledge and contacts in the criminal world to make a go at becoming some kind of kingpin?

Thus making this show Breaking Bad 2: Saul's Story

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
    Tasteticle wrote: »

Is it bad that I kind of want the focus of the show to slowly shift from Saul's past to his present (over a couple of seasons), where he is no longer satisfied, and decides that he has enough knowledge and contacts in the criminal world to make a go at becoming some kind of kingpin?

This making this show Breaking Bad 2: Saul's Story

knowing in advance that there were bits in the show where he was acting as a public defender i was sorta hoping that the show would be about him getting fed up with cinnabon and making a go at lawyering again from the ground up

• ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Ep. 1 thoughts
    - Good cold opening

- The scene where you (the camera POV) was riding along in the back seat in Saul/Jimmy's car was neat; had a feeling something was going to happen but when it did it was pretty terrifying. I would like to know how many takes it took to get that all perfect.

- Probably presumptuous of me to assume this, but the chances of survival for the skateborders in Ep. 2 went to zero when Tuco showed up at the end of the episode.

Also,
    Cinnabon is offering a free MiniBon between 5 to 9 PM tonight for the show's premier and some kind of contest up to March 3rd. Which makes me sad since there isn't one around me (left my local mall about 5+ years ago) :(

I'll just leave this PA comic here instead of enjoying those delicious, gooey, fattening morsels
    seoFXYn.jpg

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2015
    More like "Better Finish Season 5"

dunno why I've been dragging my feet with it, but BB can get really hard to watch at times and not because it's a bad show or anything.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited February 2015
    every episode is a full meal, is why, I think

i don't think they were written to be binge watched. unlike game of thrones, I can watch one episode of breaking bad, and not complain about waiting a week to see the next one. these episodes are meant to be viewed carefully and absorbed in my opinion

Jasconius on
  • wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    every episode is a full meal, is why, I think

i don't think they were written to be binge watched. unlike game of thrones, I can watch one episode of breaking bad, and not complain about waiting a week to see the next one. these episodes are meant to be viewed carefully and absorbed in my opinion

I have to agree with this. I tried to binge a season in a weekend (to get caught up at the time) and just couldn't do it. I never really analyzed it, but the "full meal" analogy seems right in retrospect.

I thought Saul started out with an odd pace, but started evening out about 2/3 the way through. To be fair, there's a lot of tablesetting to do. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.
    That said, I hope they minimize the BB cast stunting. It could start feeling cheap pretty fast and it feels like there's enough to work with without doing that.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    feeling v bummed right now that the closest Cinnabon is in the opposite direction of my home from work.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My mom bought us a cinnabon baking kit recently.

Also does anyone else think
    tuco looks way older? Like the actor is obviously older than he was in bb but he should be younger?

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Welp, time for another several months of staring wistfully at a thread title while I wait for the DVDs to come out.

broken image link
    Welp, time for another several months of staring wistfully at a thread title while I wait for the DVDs to come out.

Neeeettttflllllliiiiixxxxxx.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    What is Netflix? Is that like Hulu?

No I don't.
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »

Is it going to be out on Australian netflix/when is netflix Australia going live???

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Tef wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote: »

Is it going to be out on Australian netflix/when is netflix Australia going live???

Apparently your jerk incumbent company Nine (or is it Fairfax?) launched Stan as a streaming service before us and bought the rights. You should be able to watch it right now with them if you subscribe. Or just VPN to the UK if you already have us somehow and watch it there.

March 31st I think for official launch date of us there?

Nothing. Matters.
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    @Aphostile do you work for Netflix?

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    My mom bought us a cinnabon baking kit recently.

Also does anyone else think
    tuco looks way older? Like the actor is obviously older than he was in bb but he should be younger?

Well, I mean they only pretend to set this in the past before BB. They didn't build a functioning time machine.

I agree with you, just gotta suspend your disbelief.

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I missed tonight's, but last night was definitely a great start!
    The premiere was very reminiscent of BB's, but funnier!

"The only way that entire car is worth 500 bucks is if there's a 300 dollar hooker sitting in it"

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Tonight was great.

No I don't.
    Veldrin wrote: »
    @Aphostile do you work for Netflix?

I wanted to find a use for "fair dinkum" here but it seems to be on par with "throw another shrimp on the barbie".

Yes I do.

Nothing. Matters.