As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dying Light] Mirror's Edge / Dead Island : Will It Blend? 10+ minutes of gameplay

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Switching from a R290 to a GTX 970 essentially doubled my framerate while also allowing higher draw distance. This is the second game recently where the 290 performed poorly, last one was FC4. On paper it's only somewhat faster but in some of these newer games it crushes the 290. I'm glad I switched cards.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Switching from a R290 to a GTX 970 essentially doubled my framerate while also allowing higher draw distance. This is the second game recently where the 290 performed poorly, last one was FC4. On paper it's only somewhat faster but in some of these newer games it crushes the 290. I'm glad I switched cards.
    boy wish I had your kind of money

also there is no way that makes sense, something wrong if the 970 is literally doubling your performance than a 290

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The problem is that games have issues with AMD cards far more often than Nvidia cards, in my experience. My last card was AMD and never again.

edited February 2015
    The problem is that games have issues with AMD cards far more often than Nvidia cards, in my experience. My last card was AMD and never again.
    I've had a AMD 6950 since it came out in 2011. It has never had any issues, and runs dying light on mostly max at 1080 with basically no issues (it is a 4 yeard old card so i had to turn off the 2 fancy nvidia branded features)

obviously ymmv but 'amd issues' aren't as widespread as people say

with that said, I just buy whatever is most bang for your buck at the current time, right now the GTX 970 looks like the best card to get if you're upgrading in general.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    To be fair to AMD, the card I had was also a dual GPU card, which is something a lot of games seem to have trouble with.

To be fair to AMD, the card I had was also a dual GPU card, which is something a lot of games seem to have trouble with.
    oh god ya, i would never go with a dual gpu card no matter the company. hell i wouldn't even do sli/crossfire, too much trouble.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited February 2015
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    boy wish I had your kind of money

also there is no way that makes sense, something wrong if the 970 is literally doubling your performance than a 290

I agree something is wrong, it was wrong for two games in a row. I blame either shitty AMD drivers or they guessed wrong in what tech the newer games would be using and the hardware isn't up to it.

Cabezone on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Man this game is fun. Unlike other open world games where I feel the need to rush through the story, I'm really taking my time here. Doing a story mission, stopping to explore, finishing a couple of side missions, etc. I think I'm only like 25% done with the story 14 hours in, and there's still a ton of side content for me to finish. I can see myself playing this for some time.

I finished the side mission with the military guy you have to work with the turn the gas back on to the city last night:
    KABOOM!!! I just about fell out of my seat laughing at how that ended. Definitely wasn't expecting that. I loved Crane's non-plussed response too, he was like "Yeah, you'll probably need to find someone else to work with now..."

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    really good sounding patch just hit:

List of fixes in version 1.4.0:

Hardware, performance & stability issues
    • Resolved various stability issues
    • Numerous general performance optimizations
    • Significantly reduced RAM memory usage

Gameplay issues
    • Added option to disable film grain video effect.
    • Fixed the issue with reaching Survivor Rank 25
    • Optimized video memory management to eliminate “ResizeBuffers failed 0x887a0005” error message
    • Fixed extremely long load times that some users were experiencing
    • Resolved issues with unlocking certain achievements
    • Fixed the issue with ammo disappearing from player’s inventory when attempting shooting challenges
    • Resolved issues with Personal Statistics menu
    • Fixed problems with using keys assigned to gameplay features during chat
    • Fixed duplicating weapons exploit

Be-the-Zombie mode
    • Fixed the ‘infinite spit’ exploit in Be-the-Zombie mode
    • Fixed several issues with connecting to games when playing as the zombie
    • Added additional tools for tracking network issues

Game data integrity (modding)
    • Games can be modded
    • Modded games will not work online with original unchanged versions
    • Modded games will work with other identically modded games

Graphical Bugs
    • Resolved extremely low resolution textures on certain objects regardless of texture quality settings

Linux specific improvements:
    • Fixed motion blur switching via main menu
    • Fixed messaging when playing cross-platform session

Known issues we are still working on:
    • Screen flickering when using dual-GPU setups
    • Radeon support on Linux platforms

Steam says 475 megs

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015

My 290 is fine in FC4, but it's crap in this game. Or was, the new 1.4 patch has helped a ton for me. Mostly by turning film grain off.

e: Yeah, the 1.4 patch I've gained 10-15 frames on average with film grain off, and the game looks a lot better without it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Ohhh can't wait to try out this patch. Sounds really good.

Steam | Twitch
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I've got zippo sympathy for devs who can't figure out how to optimize for both the AMD and nVidia card lines, especially when the devs have already shown they can't optimize for shit. The issue here is not cards, the issue is devs not doing a good job with optimization.

Just palyed for like 3 hours, new patch is so good.

also for sure turn off film grain, I noticed literally no difference and performance is silky smooth

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Did any of you on the pc have the achievement issues and did this patch fix them as it claims?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    The fucking bombers in this game are the fucking worst design decision ever.

I feel a little confused about how to handle the bombers. They only explode if they get close enough to you, and since I use melee almost exclusively, I just find myself running around in circles until they back me into a corner. They're especially frustrating in close quarters. I know they'll blown up on firecrackers, but is there any more efficient way to take care of them from a distance?

Not to mention the virals they draw when they blow up...

Steam | Twitch
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I feel a little confused about how to handle the bombers. They only explode if they get close enough to you, and since I use melee almost exclusively, I just find myself running around in circles until they back me into a corner. They're especially frustrating in close quarters. I know they'll blown up on firecrackers, but is there any more efficient way to take care of them from a distance?

Not to mention the virals they draw when they blow up...

Tag them with a throwing weapon or your grappling hook. Either will explode them. My problem is even when you explode them at a seemingly safe distance you still take damage. Nevermind the "hello I'm the designated guard of this corner, welcome!" ones.

I just collected all the text collectables (notes, reports, VMs) and of course the achievement didn't pop. I also don't have side-quests, safe houses, quarantined zones, save people from Rais's men (this one might be legit) and climbing despite, as far as I know, having all of them completed. The only thing left on my map is the dumb "get 30 head shots" because I can only get as close as 27 :/

• JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    The Bombers need better visual and audio cues that they are around. You can tell apart all the other specials, but they really dropped the ball on these guys. I'll be midway through a group of guys hacking them apart, when just as I swing again, I go "Ahh, fuuuuck!" as I realize I am about to hit a bomber.

Just look at what Left 4 Dead did with the Boomers and use that... super fat guys that make a lot of noise walking around.

steam_sig.png
    It's just frustrating they even exist. If they were like boomers from L4D then I would be 100% okay with them but if you're swinging away and barely knick one then BAM insta-death. Not that dying is a big deal any more but it's just annoying.

I'm also beyond awful at gun play in this game. The side mission where you have to kill 60 zombies with the POS assault rifle is making me bald...er.

• BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    The headshot and kill zombies challenges with rifles got way less tense when I found out I had infinite ammo

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The bomber blast radius is absolutely absurdly huge. You will take damage from something like 30 feet away.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Thankfully, now that it's endorsed, there'll be a mod for that!

I'm gonna be honest, the idea that they actually implemented something which will check if both players have the same mod and then allow that mod to be used in multiplayer is pretty cool.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The worst is when they put the Bombers behind doors and have them bust out, so your first instinct is to reactively swing at them.

I think the worst bomber I encountered was one of the agility challenges (maybe the second medicine one?). There were 2 waiting right next to one of the objectives and they actually activated before they would've known I was there. I rounded the corner and instantly exploded. Fuck you, Techland.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Pretty sure they're flat out trolling with some of the bomber placement.

GnomeTank wrote: »

My 290 is fine in FC4, but it's crap in this game. Or was, the new 1.4 patch has helped a ton for me. Mostly by turning film grain off.

e: Yeah, the 1.4 patch I've gained 10-15 frames on average with film grain off, and the game looks a lot better without it.

I was also wanting to go to a G-Sync setup when the Acer hit 500. It's pretty great and makes this game a lot smoother feeling. Framerate is up a bit from before the patch but not a ton.

Figured out how to do Dying Lunch 3 finally, so now I'm at 100% completion but still missing a bunch of the achievements that would be automatic from getting to 100%. Time to restart from an earlier save I guess!

edited February 2015
    Streaming this right now for an hour or so, because why not?

EDIT - Aaaaaaand done.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    In case anybody else was thinking NG+ would help get the broken achievements (safe houses, quarantine, etc) it's been no good for me so far. All the collectables stay collected so I can't fix that, and all the quarantine zones stayed unlocked as well. Weirdly, only some of the other challenges stayed completed, while others reset. So I wouldn't try NG+ yet if you're in the same situation as me.

At any rate, I'm going to complete the Slums content in NG+ to see if that fixes anything since I didn't co-op after that. I'll update then, but I think platinum for me is going to require a completely new game.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Just hit survivor level...14?15? And I'm starting to get more confident in my night survivability. Still boned if I get surrounded, but I can flare and flail with the best of 'em.

• Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    I finally made the plunge to try this game and immediately learned just how much of a coward I am. I've dealt with zombies and feral humanoids in other games, but that was usually with some array of firearms. Melee combat has reduced me to trying to lure some walkers toward the Tower so I can engage them near a safe zone, just to get over fighting a small pack of them. I'm determined to grow a spine and venture out, though, because this game looks like it's a lot of fun. I'll just be playing in the daylight for a while.

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    It's a shame the game doesn't hold on to that terror for longer. Last for maybe the first act.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, there's a pretty steep difficulty curve at first, but after you level up and get better weapons the daytime experience goes from being terrified that stumbling off a rooftop will bring you face to face with a single zombie since you only have a rusty dessert spoon to try and beat them to death with slowly while they gnaw off your face to leaping around the city like a ninja Mario Brother and being annoyed at the zombies for getting in your way since you can instantly behead four of them at a time with your electric fire machete or just throw them around like ragdolls.

It is oddly cathartic to get to the point where even Rais soldier patrols at air drops are easy to take out, too. This doesn't concern me? Well, being on fire is going to concern you pretty quickly.

Not quite as cathartic as using the grappling hook to cheese my way past one of those interminable jumping puzzle sidequests the game throws at you. Yeah, I get that you want me to slowly climb up this bridge even though one slip means I fall to my death and respawn at a safe house a mile away since the folks who designed this mission are emotional sadists, but since I've played Just Cause 2 I'd sooner just zipline up the bridge in three easy steps instead thank you very much.

Lawndart on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Xavier1216 wrote: »
    I finally made the plunge to try this game and immediately learned just how much of a coward I am. I've dealt with zombies and feral humanoids in other games, but that was usually with some array of firearms. Melee combat has reduced me to trying to lure some walkers toward the Tower so I can engage them near a safe zone, just to get over fighting a small pack of them. I'm determined to grow a spine and venture out, though, because this game looks like it's a lot of fun. I'll just be playing in the daylight for a while.

I was like you, finding the tools at hand inefficient for my zombie bloodlust needs

First working them in clear open areas
    Then finding large spike racks and luring and kicking herds of zombie flesh onto those spikes
    Finding and throwing bladed weapons (and then minutes of searching for thrown weapons)
    Until eventually I was screaming across Hurran drop kicking zombies off rooftops and and decapitating 3 or 4 at a time with a flick of the wrist, snapping zombie necks and busting zombie face.

And when you have ground the zombie hoarde into dust.... well then its time to pick up zombie cocaine! (what the packets that replace zombie corpses when you exceed max displayable bodies look like cocaine.... what its just me?whatever i need another 8 ball of zombies).

This game is so much more fun co-op.

edited February 2015
    Qanamil wrote: »
    In case anybody else was thinking NG+ would help get the broken achievements (safe houses, quarantine, etc) it's been no good for me so far. All the collectables stay collected so I can't fix that, and all the quarantine zones stayed unlocked as well. Weirdly, only some of the other challenges stayed completed, while others reset. So I wouldn't try NG+ yet if you're in the same situation as me.

At any rate, I'm going to complete the Slums content in NG+ to see if that fixes anything since I didn't co-op after that. I'll update then, but I think platinum for me is going to require a completely new game.

Following up on this, NG+ didn't trigger anything. I've since started a completely new game and have gotten Mt. Everest, Safe houses, and Saving people from Rais's men to pop. That said, I finished all the quarantine zones and that did not pop.

I'm pushing through now to see if the completely fresh game will fix all collectables / all side-quests.

Edit: So everything has popped but for Whole Story and Quarantine Zones now. So I'm going to let this sit until another patch, I think. My recommendation if you're achievement hunting is to wait as well, though if you enjoy the game enough (which I did) a speed run of all the side-quests wasn't bad at all. You can skip most cutscenes fortunate, just not dumb ol' GRE reports.

Qanamil on
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I really tried to finish this game. I got about two story missions into the second city (56% I think), all my stats were maxed, I crushed all the challenges... but at that point I really had no reason to keep playing, so I uninstalled. I had absolutely zero investment in the plot, the writing has been fairly awful from top to bottom and everything else is fetch quests. Running around the world and killing zombies was fun but that only lasts so long. Maybe co-op would have helped alleviate the tedium, but the exact same thing happened to me with Dead Island only even earlier.

Bubby on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    I really tried to finish this game. I got about two story missions into the second city (56% I think), all my stats were maxed, I crushed all the challenges... but at that point I really had no reason to keep playing, so I uninstalled. I had absolutely zero investment in the plot, the writing has been fairly awful from top to bottom and everything else is fetch quests. Running around the world and killing zombies was fun but that only lasts so long. Maybe co-op would have helped alleviate the tedium, but the exact same thing happened to me with Dead Island only even earlier.

Co-op certainly helps (but the game does get pretty easy pretty quickly once you start getting past the first or second night). But if the running around killing zombies isn't doing much for you any more, co-op probably won't add much.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I bought this last weekend on my PS4. I haven't had as much opportunity to play it as I'd like, but I'm extremely impressed so far. I've got probably 5 hours of playtime since last Sunday when I bought it.

Having played both Dead Island and Riptide, I was prepared for bugs and glitches all over. The level of polish on this game is a complete surprise. I haven't really encountered any issues at all.

I also love the free roaming and parkour, which is the main reason I got the game.

I've also been pleasantly surprised by the story? Does it remain good through-out? Because I'm actually somewhat invested in the story of tracking down the guy who stole the files and all that. Seems like a great story to put on top of the backdrop of a zombie apocalypse.

So far my only complaint about the game was the resolution to the first true night experience. I was going after the supply crates, and the girl on the radio said that it was getting dark out and that the main character needed to turn back. He says "no, I can do this" and stays out. I knew there would be trouble, so I went and grabbed a nearby safe zone in preparation for the nighttime zombie terror. My brilliant preparation was rudely interrupted. I made it back safely to the safe zone and was ready to sleep the night away on top of the tall radio tower, but the game forced me to go back to the Headquarters building which was like a million miles away, even though I was already safe.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Story is kind of there past a certain point, its got a little bit of Far Cry syndrome of a villain so over the top it borders on ridiculous, but its not Dead Island awful and the side quests can hit you in the feels.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net