As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic: the Gathering] Uguu~~ The Spiwit Dwagon

• PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Echo wrote: »
    Righto. The kind of distinctions I need to get the hang of.

There are a few abilities which cause spells to be cast, but these will always include the word "cast" in the ability. E.g. Isochron Scepter, flashback cards (as mentioned previously).

Papillon on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Papillon wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Righto. The kind of distinctions I need to get the hang of.

There are a few abilities which cause spells to be cast, but these will always include the word "cast" in the ability. E.g. Isochron Scepter, flashback cards (as mentioned previously).

Although depending on the version of printing, it might say "play" instead. Nowadays the only time they use "play" is if lands are an option on the effect.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So did not have a super great time at the Pre-release. Picked Jeskai, built a janky Jeskai deck with a lot of Manifest spells to be creatures and trigger Prowess, but no real reach or path to victory. So first two rounds go to time, then turns, and are draws. Round 3 my opponent gets stuck on two lands and I finally get a win, and then Round 4 I'm back to going to time, turns, and drawing.

Now question @vyolynce @nullzone @anyone with tournament procedure knowledge: round 4 when the judge yelled out time, my opponent was playing a creature in his main phase 2. When my turn started, I figured I would be turn 1 of the 5 turns, while my opponent said "no, I ended my turn before the judge yelled time, this is turn 0." So we both have a different interpretation of the reality of things, so I ask him if he'd like to call a judge. "Fine, if you have to make a big deal about things," which I thought was a really poor attitude to have, since you can never really hurt a situation by asking a judge. So I ask him what he'd like to do, and he goes "fine, it's turn 1." We get to turn 5, it's presumably a draw, and he goes "no, I really should've gotten another attack phase" (he thought he could kill me and get the match win). So I say again, "shall we call a judge now then?" and he agrees, and the judge comes over. We relate the situation, the judge asks if it matters, my opponent thinks so (it doesn't, but I think he wants the satisfaction of the ruling at this point?) so the judge rules thusly: "how we do things here is if someone is finishing their turn as turns are called, we don't count it as active player's turn (turn 0) until the next turn starts, and then it's turns 0-5 (both players get 3 turns, basically)." This runs counter to my understanding, which was "active player finishes the turn, then 5 more turns."

My question is basically this "is this a kosher ruling?"

I didn't even mind the ruling, since the judge was very polite about it, but my opponent's attitude really put me off and made me not want to play Magic anymore.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    So did not have a super great time at the Pre-release. Picked Jeskai, built a janky Jeskai deck with a lot of Manifest spells to be creatures and trigger Prowess, but no real reach or path to victory. So first two rounds go to time, then turns, and are draws. Round 3 my opponent gets stuck on two lands and I finally get a win, and then Round 4 I'm back to going to time, turns, and drawing.

Now question @vyolynce @nullzone @anyone with tournament procedure knowledge: round 4 when the judge yelled out time, my opponent was playing a creature in his main phase 2. When my turn started, I figured I would be turn 1 of the 5 turns, while my opponent said "no, I ended my turn before the judge yelled time, this is turn 0." So we both have a different interpretation of the reality of things, so I ask him if he'd like to call a judge. "Fine, if you have to make a big deal about things," which I thought was a really poor attitude to have, since you can never really hurt a situation by asking a judge. So I ask him what he'd like to do, and he goes "fine, it's turn 1." We get to turn 5, it's presumably a draw, and he goes "no, I really should've gotten another attack phase" (he thought he could kill me and get the match win). So I say again, "shall we call a judge now then?" and he agrees, and the judge comes over. We relate the situation, the judge asks if it matters, my opponent thinks so (it doesn't, but I think he wants the satisfaction of the ruling at this point?) so the judge rules thusly: "how we do things here is if someone is finishing their turn as turns are called, we don't count it as active player's turn (turn 0) until the next turn starts, and then it's turns 0-5 (both players get 3 turns, basically)." This runs counter to my understanding, which was "active player finishes the turn, then 5 more turns."

My question is basically this "is this a kosher ruling?"

I didn't even mind the ruling, since the judge was very polite about it, but my opponent's attitude really put me off and made me not want to play Magic anymore.

It's absolutely active player finishes turn, then five more turns. If he hadn't indicated he was passing the turn, AND cleared up any end of turn effects, your turn should have been turn 1. If this somehow coincided exactly with time, I would say your turn should count as turn 1 anyways unless you can begun resolving your untap/upkeep effects (because lots of people do these out of order, myself included at times), but this is basically going to be a call for the judge to make (call them over immediately though, if they aren't already there - at the store I go to people tend to gather around the last matches running to watch, and several regulars are judges anyways).

And yes, that opponent was being a dick.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • PapillonPapillon Registered User regular

In my experience most Magic players are pleasant, but there are a few who, well, are not. And different stores attract different crowds, so if you find one store has a number of unpleasant/unsportsmanlike people, you might want to try playing somewhere else.

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Papillon wrote: »

In my experience most Magic players are pleasant, but there are a few who, well, are not. And different stores attract different crowds, so if you find one store has a number of unpleasant/unsportsmanlike people, you might want to try playing somewhere else.

Jerks on MTGO crack me up. What do they hope to gain? I just report them. How is it worth a chance of losing your account or getting it suspended?

My favorite trolls are dumb moment came in a recent LSV cube video. LSV was comboing off for the win, and the guy snapped at him in chat - something like "have fun waiting, ***" - and proceeded to not pass priority to let the timer run out.

A) you are trolling LSV. A hall of famer. Are you nuts?

B) LSV makes tons of videos, there's a good chance 1000s of people are going to see your temper tantrum.

C) LSV reported you to boot. So there's that too!

So, so dumb

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    While its not at all your fault, it does help to clarify the turn 0/1 thing as soon as time is called. Just like, when the store employee calls time, just clarify to your opponent that it is currently turn 0, and next will be turn 1.

If your opponent knew this store did things that way, he should have been the one to speak up. But it is possible he thought that his store was the "normal way" things are done and he didn't need to say anything. Or maybe he absolutely knew it wasn't normal and was trying to squeeze a win out of you not acting normally or scooping on your version of turn 5. Either way he sounds like a dick

edited January 2015
    Echoing all the "active player when time is called is turn 0" responses. When I call time that is my exact statement: "active player finish your turn, then five additional turns."

Your opponent was not only a jerk, but a jerk at a prerelease. These events are supposed to be FUN, and are run at the loosest REL possible.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited January 2015
    B&R updates if you play formats other than Standard and/or Commander.

TLDR:

Modern — Cruise, Dig, and Pod banned; Golgari Grave-Troll unbanned
    Legacy — Cruise banned; Worldgorger Dragon unbanned
    Vintage — Cruise restricted; Gifts unrestricted

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    @silence1186 The mechanically correct answer is, as Vyolynce said, active player finish turn, then 5 more turns in total. In most cases, I draw the line at untapping. If you haven't untapped yet when time is called, it's still your opponent's turn. However, at a prerelease, when players aren't sure/disagree on whose turn is turn 0 (typically because people are trying to rush through actions since they know they're running out of time), and especially if the players/board state indicate it isn't particularly likely to matter, I'm totally okay with just "pushing back" turn 0 like you're describing. It's not likely to harm tournament procedure and it saves either player from feeling like they've been screwed out of a turn they thought they'd have.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Players shouldn't try to discourage their opponent from calling a judge, either. That's dickish and is a red flag to me that the guy knew he was being unfair.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Nullzone wrote: »
    @silence1186 The mechanically correct answer is, as Vyolynce said, active player finish turn, then 5 more turns in total. In most cases, I draw the line at untapping. If you haven't untapped yet when time is called, it's still your opponent's turn. However, at a prerelease, when players aren't sure/disagree on whose turn is turn 0 (typically because people are trying to rush through actions since they know they're running out of time), and especially if the players/board state indicate it isn't particularly likely to matter, I'm totally okay with just "pushing back" turn 0 like you're describing. It's not likely to harm tournament procedure and it saves either player from feeling like they've been screwed out of a turn they thought they'd have.

Yeah, the main point of contention was whose turn it was when time was called, with each of us having a differing opinion, and the judge couldn't really have an opinion, since he wasn't there at the time (he called it from across the room). I didn't mind the outcome (it was going to be a draw either way) but the whole way it was handled basically made me definitely never want to go back to that store, and probably stop playing Magic period.

I don't need to get sick with anxiety from confronting people with bad attitudes.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

silence1186 on
  • DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    In the future if you come into any situation where your opponent tries to pass off calling a judge, snap call that judge. Your job is to play magic, and it's the judge's job to clean up rules questions, rules discrepancies, and broken magic.

Echoing comments that this guy probably knew he was in the wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Edit - double post

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    I'm looking to build a commander deck using Daxos of Meletis as the commander. Trying to base it around comboing off his second talent with the goal of just absolute hilarity. And I'd like it to be a soldier tribe deck as best as possible. Card ideas?

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So this Grixis control deck is hella fun to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sacrdnOUBnU

Has anyone else opened a fate reforged pack and gotten a fetchland from khans? Cause that just happened to me Not mad just a bit confused

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    tehjester wrote: »
    Has anyone else opened a fate reforged pack and gotten a fetchland from khans? Cause that just happened to me Not mad just a bit confused

That's normal. The land slots in Fate Reforged has either a lifegain land (common) or a fetch (rare).

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    If I had a Daxos of Meletis deck I would just pack it full of tricks to get Daxos through and load it up with buttloads of colorless mana to cast stuff.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    If I had a Daxos of Meletis deck I would just pack it full of tricks to get Daxos through and load it up with buttloads of colorless mana to cast stuff.

A friend of mine played a Hero's Blade deck at the open, with Daxos, Shu-Yun, and Zurgo (with the rest of the UW heroic trappings like Gods Willing/Stubborn Denial/Aqueous Form). It wasn't super consistent, but it was super awesome when it went off a la Zurgo + Hero's Blade + Temur Battle Rage.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Don't forget Strionic Resonator from M14 to trigger Daxos another time each turn. Though if you have the mana and can untap it, you can do it as many times as you want.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Giving him double strike with Shu-Yun is also a fun trick.

• slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I can't stare at it too long without going blind.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    Huh. Was not expecting that characterization of Alesha in today's Uncharted Realms.
    Two acquaintances of mine are undergoing or about to start HRT — one in each direction — so the topic has kind of been on my mind lately. WotC certainly has been making some bold flavor choices of late with the Guardians of Meletis, Ashiok, and now Alesha.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    They're doing a good job, IMO. It's slow going, but overdue, and they're not shy about their intentions to increase diversity in representation. Khans has been a fine block in that regard so far, with female khans (not sporting boobplate either) and now Alesha. I appreciate that while the story is about her finding her identity, her gender is only a part of that journey and doesn't define her as a character. She was cool before we knew she was trans, and now we just know more about who she is. All in all it seems smoothly done, and I'm looking forward to more of Alesha and other diverse characters.

Re: the khans, did anyone else notice the complete gender flip between KTK snd FRF?

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I got the foil planeswalker dragon for FRF. Just got back into magic this core set and FRF (PAX RELAPSE).
    Do I sell it or something?

Also stop trying to make fetch happen.
    Its not going to happen.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    You sell it, you sell it immediately for all the dollars. 70 dollars.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    I got nonfoil Ugin at my prerelease, didnt even run him in the deck just cuz he costs so much mana.

only got to 8 mana once during all my games.

Is 38 lands too much for an EDH deck? I'm running a few mock hands on deckstats.net and I'm either getting mana flooded or no mana at all. I'm building an artifact EDH deck

edited February 2015
    No it sounds about right for an average (possibly non-green) deck.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    So I played a little bit of Magic way back in the day. I had a handful of revised, 5th edition, Mirage cards. After PAX:South, I may have gone out and picked up a few more boosters. How screwed am I?

Also, are there better sites for deck management? I have a few on mtgvault, but I see some in here using deckstats, any reason to use one over the other?

RedDawn wrote: »
    So I played a little bit of Magic way back in the day. I had a handful of revised, 5th edition, Mirage cards. After PAX:South, I may have gone out and picked up a few more boosters. How screwed am I?

Also, are there better sites for deck management? I have a few on mtgvault, but I see some in here using deckstats, any reason to use one over the other?

I like deckstats simply because of the deck building program and that when you click on a card it brings up a pop window that links to the Gatherer which is a handy tool for the official rules for all of Magic's cards

i use tappedout

• RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    Do folks in here tend to play MTG:Online? I'm planning on checking out my local game store to get beat in person, but if I was looking to lose online, would that be the route to go?

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Do folks in here tend to play MTG:Online? I'm planning on checking out my local game store to get beat in person, but if I was looking to lose online, would that be the route to go?

Yes, but prepare to lose a lot of money in addition to your pride.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

If you want a mobile app, i can definitely recommend decked builder. It's on iOS and Android and it's been super useful, especially if you have friends you talk to who also have the app. You can just text them your decklist/send it over twitter/upload it to the decked builder site.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

It's difficult to play MTGO without spending money. Possible, but difficult. So if you're looking to play MTGO in addition to playing in person you're looking at a split investment.

@APODionysus is probably our local expert on getting into MTGO on a budget.