As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Oh, I'm going to leave this one unspoiled, because it's just funny, and falls under the "All bugs with the original have been fixed heading":

In non-OpenX-Com, Chryssalids spawned because a Zombie died have the Beginner (IE: 50%) armor value.

This was fixed in the source remake that Fanda is playing. :D
    Ffffuuuuuuu

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    Oh, I'm going to leave this one unspoiled, because it's just funny, and falls under the "All bugs with the original have been fixed heading":

In non-OpenX-Com, Chryssalids spawned because a Zombie died have the Beginner (IE: 50%) armor value.

Ffffuuuuuuu

Oh, it gets better; in the original X-Com, there was a bug that made the harder difficulties set to beginner after the first mission(which is one of the reasons TFTD was so ridicuolously hard: People had been complain X-Com was too easy. Because everyone was stuck on Beginner). So the the Chryssalids everyone knows and loves and fears are largely the beginner Chryssalids, and Fanda is facing Chryssalids that are much much worse.

People will die. And dreams of jetpacks from the Chryssalid horrors will never come.

• HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    Which is why when my turn in the roster comes up, I'm spending twenty bucks of my "salary" on one of our tour shirts. This is so when I die screaming, I at least die in style.

steam_sig-400.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Obligatory soundtrack for our air-to-air duels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLqhF2wswYk

• see317see317 Registered User regular

What a bizarre typo. Surely you meant...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzQ3eBerHfM

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Also acceptable is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JRgHol94Xc

EDIT: You can skip ahead to 1:10.

Elvenshae on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

Ffffuuuuuuu

Oh, it gets better; in the original X-Com, there was a bug that made the harder difficulties set to beginner after the first mission(which is one of the reasons TFTD was so ridicuolously hard: People had been complain X-Com was too easy. Because everyone was stuck on Beginner). So the the Chryssalids everyone knows and loves and fears are largely the beginner Chryssalids, and Fanda is facing Chryssalids that are much much worse.

People will die. And dreams of jetpacks from the Chryssalid horrors will never come.

To be fair, the Collectors Edition fixed that bug a long time ago...

while also introducing brand new and far more interesting bugs, like vertical blaster bomb waypoints resulting in the bomb drifting southward horizontally. If you ever had a bunch of aliens suddenly explode for no reason, that would be why, since the Alien AI would still path blaster bombs directly up and down to hilarious effect.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

So many typos here. Clearly, this is what both of you were looking for:

http://youtu.be/vGjwXI0n5-I

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    OaEf2qt.png

X-Com Order of Battle:
    Tank/Rocket Launcher
    Velmeran and see317 - rifles
    Elvenshae and Heatwave - autocannons
    Bigity and Elderlycrawfish - heavy cannons
    TeeMan and an_alt - rifles
    Rainfall and cB557 - rifles

It's 2:05 am as the Skyranger's VTOL jets bring us down onto a dirt lot in suburban Cape Town. The city was dark on our descent - most of the buildings seem to be without power. Only a broken patchwork of streetlights keeps the scene from descending into total blackness.

From far above, the lambent green plasma darting silently through the city was weirdly pretty.

jGFsd3W.png

On the ground, things look much different.

To the west lie a couple of shanty houses, with a nicer residence on the border of the AO. A dirt field separates a small garden and a convenience store to the east. South of our landing zone is a main road, well lit by streetlights.

Every piece of terrain has a Floater snuggled up to it. And beside the Floater on the convenience store, barely limned by the glow of our electro-flare, is the outline of something else. Something hulking. Monstrous.

It's time to see if that half million dollar investment in our rocket tank was money well spent.

Fire in the hole.

RbtF8Xy.gif

see317, can you give us a better look?

SVKk0CB.png

The Floater's body is in tatters, and the ... thing ... beside it has been rendered into a pile of unrecognizable meat. Best of all, we've slain another Floater who was hiding around what used to be the corner of the store.

see317's almost out of time units now, but he might as well burn up the last of them on a snap shot.

OKAEiRF.gif

A born executioner, it seems. We've got to get this lad some more targets.

Ha3lJHy.png

This is disquieting. The shanty's front door is open, and we don't know if an alien or a civilian is responsible. We could drop a proxy around the corner. However, if it does turn out to be the owner peeking out at the apocalypse descending on Cape Town, we don't want his death on our conscience. Fortunately, we've also got a civilian at the second story window of the neighboring house. If there is a Floater by the shanty door, the civilian will likely draw its fire away from us.

Sorry, champ. You're going to be our canary in this coal mine.

That leaves two Floaters that we can see. Velmeran, how do you like your chances?

SLdeM1z.gif

And with that, all of our rookies have earned their squaddie badge. One Floater left to go.

Elderlycrawfish is carrying a new piece of gear on this mission. The heavy cannon weighs even more than the autocannon and has a much lower rate of fire, but it's more precise and does more damage.

uzxhDXY.png

qNtzESS.png

O1xfL3x.png

I'd call that a successful field test.

IRmnTxC.png

Elvenshae tosses out another flare, revealing what looks like a park behind the row of houses. There's also another Floater with a plasma pistol out in the street, but we're not going to be able to deal with it yet. Heatwave hops down and smokes the front landing gear to give us a bit more concealment, and everyone steels themselves for Floater reprisals.

Plasma bolts fill the lane between the park and houses, streaming south to north. Another shot from inside the park punches a hole in the wall of the southern shanty.

The next discharge is not nearly so remote.

QFdjzhA.png

Ambiguity resolved. That civilian deserves a medal.

Out in the road comes an unearthly roar and the thundering footsteps of something massive. A man's scream is pinched off by a sickening crunch, followed by unspeakable snuffling and wet smacking sounds.

It sounds like ... chewing.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Don't worry, guys. Nothing these aliens have can match up to beautiful incendiary death.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Farangu wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

So many typos here. Clearly, this is what both of you were looking for:

http://youtu.be/vGjwXI0n5-I

*cough*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb-xNUPFq2s

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    *bzzzzCHH* -ontact 9 o'clock, 20 meters through the shack! Autocannons suppressing fire GOOO! *TUNK-TUNK-TUNK-TUNK-TUNK-KERBERSSHHHHH* Contact 7 o'clock! 30 meters, 25 meters the roa-... Mother of God *sssSSCHT*

steam_sig.png
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    Oh god See317, our cherries have been popped, this being like a horror movie, we've lost our invulnerability shields.

Vechloran.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    The Floater's body is in tatters, and the ... thing ... beside it has been rendered into a pile of unrecognizable meat. Best of all, we've slain another Floater who was hiding around what used to be the corner of the store.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6PkDHuaXi8

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I was gonna be outraged that I have to use a manual cannon now but I can't argue with those results. BOOM! Explosive sniping, yeah!

And to think people actually shoot bits of lead instead. Weirdos.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    So far so good.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    All this super awesomeness will only make the inevitable disaster even more tragic. I love it.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Ah, Zero is always the go to choice. I wanted something with a bit more personality while our interceptors fall screaming from the skies.

• EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Ah, Zero is always the go to choice. I wanted something with a bit more personality while our interceptors fall screaming from the skies.

Personally I prefer the Unsung War, if only to give myself an excuse to get the air group painted up like the Demons of Razgriz.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Music for planes falling out of the sky?

Rex tremende from ace combat 4. Actually, of the 2hours of ac4 music, you can choose about 1hr 45min of.it and itd be pretty fitting.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • BrewBrew Registered User regular
    Well, isn't all this just fantastic. Looking forward to the inevitable destruction of all our hopes.

!signup for ground meat grinder.

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
    Music for planes falling out of the sky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQSn1f4Jrqo

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Incidentally that bayonetta theme I posted was intended to be the alien theme music. :)
    I imagine that's what they'd be feeling.
    "Ooooh ten in a row! Triple bonus!"

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    OKkVfsB.png Elvenshae, clear that house! We can't give the Floater another shot at that civilian.

Tj44yHw.png

7sPQgq8.png I ... I don't see anything, Captain. Maybe it already displaced?

OKkVfsB.png Bigity, put a flare up.

MF5lR1y.png

7sPQgq8.pngoh christmas it's right there

PFU1VFm.pngTARGET ACQUIRED

X44k5ZA.png

4iSFGkx.gif

7sPQgq8.png Hostile down! But it's not dead. Oh god, it's squealing and clawing at itself on the ground.

OKkVfsB.png That rocket just gave us our first live Floater capture.

7sPQgq8.png I'm lighting up this park. Don't want anything else jumping out of the shadows at us.

vApS8gt.png

OKkVfsB.png Rainfall, recon south.

bJo2frE.png Advancing on the road now, sir.

SB6XFep.png

bJo2frE.png All clear on my flank. Heatwave, how's it looking over there?

bJo2frE.png ... Heatwave?

83gflEJ.png

Meet the Reaper
    ZUi8Wyy.png

No ranged attack, but it can tear a tank apart with its jaws. The bondage gear provides more protection than you might expect: a rifle shot will, on average, penetrate for 2 points of damage. The Reaper has 148 hit points. Direct fire with conventional rounds is, therefore, not a recipe for success.

Fortunately, explosive munitions make a mess of them. They have very soft underbellies, and direct hits with explosives deal damage to the under armor of all four tiles of large enemies like the Reaper.

Setting them on fire is funny too.

sTfkWxa.png

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Oh high explosives, is there any problem you can't solve?

Fanda wrote: »
    7sPQgq8.png I'm lighting up this park. Don't want anything else jumping out of the shadows at us.

vApS8gt.png

As a heavy gunner, I celebrate.
    ... but as a floral enthusiast, I weep.
    _lewis-black-banner.jpg

I read "Target Acquired" and I remember that being said in a very specifically deep robotic voice, as if it was a quote, but damned if I can remember where from.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    ED-209?

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Deus Ex military bots, I think.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

Ffffuuuuuuu

Actually they didn't have the 50% armor value. They just had base stats, unaffected by difficulty. So they'd have Beginner-level stats in everything, except for armor, which would be the normal value, because it doesn't scale with difficulty except for being -50% on Beginner. Accuracy is also -50% on Beginner but doesn't particularly matter for chryssalids since a different stat is used for melee accuracy, and they still zombify on a miss. Technically you can get a chryssalid with a gun (if one of your dudes is zombified by a miss, the zombie and chryssalid keep the gun and can reaction fire with it).

The only stat that really makes a difference for chryssalids is TU, which increases by 4% per difficulty level, so on Impossible they have 127 TUs instead of 110.

edited February 2015
    How many TUs does it take a Chryssalid to make an X-Com trooper crap their pants?

None.

Bigity on
    No one has a shot at the Reaper.

There's only one person in position to deal with this threat - only one person with the strength and accuracy to lob a demolition charge over that building and land it at the feet of the enemy.

We turn in our moment of desperation, as we have so often in the past, to Bigity.

Bigity, and his high-explosive fastball.

OEOi6zG.png

Bigity, the hero of Operation Gut Check

nn11yDQ.png

But sometimes even heroes come up short.

rMDQlpF.gif

And sometimes people die because of it.

msMC3bl.png

The Floater rises from the lane behind the house, cape billowing in the night air, backlit by the inferno in the park.

It sees Bigity.

The barrel of its plasma rifle is already glowing green as the Floater brings it to bear on us ...

JmUc6EF.gif

... only to be distracted at the last possible moment by motion in the house below.

1p8iF1h.png

Defective aerodynamics! Ruuuuuun

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Way to to take one for the team, civi!

edited February 2015
    I read "Target Acquired" and I remember that being said in a very specifically deep robotic voice, as if it was a quote, but damned if I can remember where from.

StarCraft Goliaths.
    Which are, themselves, references to ED-209 from RoboCop, unless I misremember stuff.

Elvenshae on
  • DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Elvenshae wrote: »

StarCraft Goliaths.
    Which are, themselves, references to ED-209 from RoboCop, unless I misremember stuff.

Actually, it's Ravens. Goliaths say "Target Designated".

You're right about the reference though.
    Goliaths even say "milspec ED-209 online"

Durinia on
    For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
    edited February 2015
    I haven't played Starcraft 2.
    So unfortunately that one is disqualified.
    It's very likely to be starcraft 1 or Robocop.

Morninglord on
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I think some of the enemies in Borderlands 2 would say it, like those Constructors, or maybe just the badass Constructors.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    It's very likely to be starcraft 1 or Robocop.

this sentence is really funny out of context.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png