As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If you won the Lottery!

• Locutus ZeroLocutus Zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd take about 10% as pocket money. Give to friends, buy all the shit I've ever wanted, etc. I'd take the rest and invest in a fairly safe way that would also yield plenty of interest (let a professional figure all that out of course). I'd treat the money as if I couldn't get to it at all. Some of the interest would go back into the principal. The rest would be a monthly paycheck. By my calculations it would be WAY more than enough.

Also, I'd by a Delorean.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Donate a good amount to breast cancer related charities
    Pay for my mom's medical costs, and whatever else she wants
    Give some to my dad and brother
    Buy a nice apartment in Williamsburg
    I'd still work and go to school and stuff

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd start an ethanol production company here in northern New England.

Shinto on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Okay, so, 160m US? Cool.

Lump sum. That knocks us down to probably about 120m. Government takes it's share, puts us at about 80.

20m: Invested in something really, really safe, with a reasonable rate of return. Live off the interest.
    5m (probably vast overkill): My entire extended family gets their debt wiped, college fund started with the rest.
    10m: Either founds or donated to a non-profit devoted to understanding and treating Angelman Syndrome on behalf of my cousin, who's daughter is diagnosed with it.
    10m: Miscellaneous fun stuff - house, cars, electronics, parties with hookers and blackjack, whatever.
    5m: Start a recording studio and/or a bar/music venue.

Figure a million in various fees (legal, accounting, etc.)

Remainder (approx. 29m): Donated to various charities. Alternately, buy a congressman.

Salvation122 on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Remainder (approx. 29m): Donated to various charities. Alternately, buy a congressman.

With that kind of money you could probably only rent one.

Daedalus on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I totally lied, I need to drop another 10m on THERMAL DEPOLYMERIZATION BITCHES

Salvation122 on
  • KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    giving money to friends is a pretty bad idea because gift taxes are a bitch.

if it were enough (like 200m after taxes as opposed 60m after taxes), id produce a game, a movie and write a few books.

Ketherial on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Actually, I think I'd put more money into the company I work for. I'm already running the business direction, having more investment dollars would assist in kick starting some of the projects I've got in the pipeline for the next few years.

More staff is key (consulting/services company), but better equipment and software is always a bonus.

devoir on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd do the school thing while working on novels. Being a full-time novelist without worrying about paying the bills would be so awesome, but constantly learning and upgrading your resume with a better education than anyone else on the planet would be sweet.

Also, investments and charities, I s'pose.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd invest the money sensibly and live comfortably off the proceeds. Woo!

Aroused Bull on
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A nice place for my sweetie and I.
    Some money for my family.
    Invest.
    Travel.
    Caterham Super 7 GSX 1300-R Hayabusa.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd never quit school just because I suddenly had plenty of money. In fact, that's probably one of the things I'd do with the money, never quit school.
    This.

Also I'd invest in my own career in the field of whatever.

Hacksaw on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    I'd start an ethanol production company here in northern New England.

If I were more into it, I think it would be cool to start a microbrewery.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Also, I'd by a Delorean.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

Grey Ghost on
  • Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Build a castle with secret passages.

edit: Along with investing, giving some to friends etc.

But I'll set it up so that when I die, to get however much I leave for inheritance, my friends and/or family have to go deep into the lengthy crypts I'll have built beneath my castle and find some paper that'll start a quest that leads around the world. Like the worlds most awesome treasure hunt.

Shifty Fister on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fund this guy for the rest of his life, among other things.

His Corkiness on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Also, I'd by a Delorean.

We actually have this author, Matthew Riley in Australia who writes the book equivalent of B-grade movies that are fantastically over the top and very very popular.

Buying a Delorean was one of the first things he did once he had the money for it.

Kelor on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Also, I'd by a Delorean.

Get rid of the original engine, it's a piece of shit and way underpowered for the mass of the vehicle. Swap it for a Chevy 4.3L V6. Parts are easier and cheaper to get, makes a lot more power and torque, and it fits in the bay. Barely. Knew a guy who had one.

ViolentChemistry on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I'd take care of my family, buy some property, travel a lot, donate a fair amount to charities doing work on the issues that are important to me like cancer. I suppose with a truly huge amount of money I might even set up my own charity.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited October 2007
    Kelor wrote: »
    Also, I'd by a Delorean.

We actually have this author, Matthew Riley in Australia who writes the book equivalent of B-grade movies that are fantastically over the top and very very popular.

Buying a Delorean was one of the first things he did once he had the money for it.

I quite liked Temple, Ice Station and Area 7. The death in Area 7 made me D: though.

devoir on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Let my parents retire, on the condition that my mother quit smoking. Set up an annuity for them, all that jazz.

Finish law school.

Buy a decent condo in Boston.

Set up an annuity for my self as a safety net.

Invest a bunch.

Walk across the United States.

Dude fuck law school if I won the lottery. I'd drop out like that.

Medopine on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    I dunno. I'd pay off my house and make sure that I never had to work another day for the defense industry. Outside of that, I'm not really sure what else I need.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited October 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I dunno. I'd pay off my house and make sure that I never had to work another day for the defense industry. Outside of that, I'm not really sure what else I need.

Moral objections or the general attitude doesn't fit with you?

devoir on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    A little of both. I didn't mind the idea of working defense too much under Clinton, but under Bush I just feel like a parasite and villain. As far as the attitude goes, I've found defense contractors in Boston to be just jaded enough that I kind of like them in general. The contractors around DC were almost uniquely gung-ho douchebags.

Plus, I think I'm basically a lazy guy. I'd rather not work than work doing something that I don't enjoy or care about. I really don't care about any of the stuff that Defense works on (and I've worked in a bunch of different fields in defense), so I feel like I'm basically wasting my life. If I'm going to waste my life, I might as well waste it doing something enjoyable.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Its a bit of an open question. You may as well ask what would you do if you had a shit load of money.

No offense, but it really is not at all the same question. "Winning The Lottery", in particular, is something that many societies (all societies?) are obsessed with. It carries a social stigma of instant, envious success elevating someone from a much lower class to a much wealthier one. There is also the psychological concern of having a shitload of money when there was none before. There's a big difference between winning the lottery and simply having an equivalent amount of money.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, going to college for ever sounds pretty lame. I mean, I'm not saying don't stop learning shit, but at a certain point I think you'd just be completely sick of teachers and college students. I'd take classes for maybe a few things, but with that kind of money you can either study yourself, or learn with teachers/experts of the field on a more 1 on 1 type basis.

I'm surprised I'm the only one who would dedicate a large part of their time toward a martial arts though.

Oh, I'd also probably invest a solid million or two into getting top end companies/designers to build costumes for me for all my favorite characters/heroes/musicians etc.

Hmm, do I feel like dressing up as a combine soldier, samurai, daft punk or storm trooper today? Hmm. I'd be rich, so it would be eccentric, not crazy!

Inquisitor on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    No, I'd definitely invest time in martial arts.

In fact my time that is now spent at work, which is about 50 hours a week, I would split between dancing (20 hours a week), kickboxing (15 hours a week) and Brazilian jiu jitsu (15 hours a week). With that kind of time spent on those, I'd be able to move onto new arts every five years or so.

Dhalphir on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dhalphir wrote: »

In fact my time that is now spent at work, which is about 50 hours a week, I would split between dancing (20 hours a week), kickboxing (15 hours a week) and Brazilian jiu jitsu (15 hours a week). With that kind of time spent on those, I'd be able to move onto new arts every five years or so.

High-five! Me and you could then team up and travel the land, kicking ass with innovative fusions of various martial arts.

Inquisitor on
  • ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't think of anything that I really want that I can't easily buy on my own right now. I'd probably put a few hundred-thousand in savings, one million at the very most, and put the rest to a good cause. For example, the one in my sig.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If I had that much money? I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities....

Actually, I'd probably just spend my life working on pet projects. First of all would be my own house, which I would personally design, then just buy random pieces of land and build whatever I felt like. Throughout all this would be random additions to my house and hundreds of attempts at novels that rarely get past the first 50 pages.

I also think I would try to take a piece of land in Africa and turn it into my own country, and it would be a FEZ throughout (obviously it would be very small and have other investors).

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Also, I'd by a Delorean.

I quite liked Temple, Ice Station and Area 7. The death in Area 7 made me D: though.

Man, I don't know if I should feel bad for it but... I fucking loved those books. Schofield is such a badass.

Grey Ghost on
    edited October 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »

High-five! Me and you could then team up and travel the land, kicking ass with innovative fusions of various martial arts.

Fuck.

Why not try to become Batman?

Do the studying thing that other people are talking about, but learn from the very best. Dedicate yourself to it completely. 8 hours sleep, 4 hours physical exercise and training, 4 hours rest and relaxation and 8 hours studying.

devoir on
    edited October 2007
    Man, devoir, that's a hell of an idea.

Grey Ghost on
    edited October 2007
    Even a hundred grand a year would get you some serious training, and the benefit you could get if you did nothing but train/study.

I know I've blown through a textbook's worth of material in a day when I needed to for a big project at work, and that's with all the day-to-day distractions. If you could pay someone to deal with all of that for you (bills, getting you food, etc) and you dropped all the stuff like gaming except for those four hours of rest and relaxation (which you could probably cut to two and increase your study/physical exercise by an hour each), you could progress really quickly.

devoir on
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    1) Pay off my debts and my mother's debts.
    2) Finish University
    3) Move back to New York City with my girlfriend and her son, buy a wonderful apartment with a doorman and all that.
    4) Find a job working for the city.

Pretty much what I would do now, except that I would do it without having to worry about money.

As a consequence of my investing an enormous portion of it, most of the revenue gained from that investment would go to various things that weren't exactly charity, but rewarded small, poor, but innovative business ideas that I agreed with. Or poor but bright students. A percentage would also go to a "help fund" to help people after horrible tragedies like hurricane katrina, terrorist attacks, and veterans returning home horribly wounded and getting substandard care.

Oh, and I would have a yearly prime time half-hour television address, during sweeps week or whatever, where I would give a person that I believed strongly in (politician, scientist, etc.) a chance to talk about what was important to them, and to the country.

Finally, I would set up a space in Manhatten where me and my friends could play RPGs and board games in a wonderfully relaxing and pleasant setting. There would be a projector that could map dungeons onto a space, from above, and I'd hire a few people to make sure everything ran smoothly. Eventually, I might build up the infrastructure enough to open it as a "club" of sorts, with a library of games, RPG books and snacks. More and more rooms, seperated off to stop noise. Yeah, I think that would be completely brilliant.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Also, I'd by a Delorean.

Man, I don't know if I should feel bad for it but... I fucking loved those books. Schofield is such a badass.

My girlfriend doesn't like Schofield. In her words "he's all 'ooh I've got to save the president'". She did like Aloysius Knight.

electricitylikesme on
    edited October 2007
    Oh yeah, Knight was cool. I'd like to see a spin-off with him maybe.

Grey Ghost on
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would have some really bitchin' guitars. That's for sure.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Sounds like "Bud" would have lost his money one way or another. Brother who wanted to kill him. relatives pestering him to invest and he capitulated....

With money like that, generosity is one thing, but being stupid enough to agree to invest every little scheme your relatives come up with is quite another.
    Agreed. I'm getting flashes back to "Gobias Industries".

I'm not certain what I'd do with the money.

SithDrummer on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2007
    I'd go back to Africa/Mid East, and live completely above the law.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg